Linux-Networking Digest #475, Volume #12          Sun, 5 Sep 99 00:13:47 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux CookBook Project Online! ("Colin Wong")
  Re: PLEASE HELP How can I connect to my ISP? (Laughters_domain)
  Re: DSL User: Problem with the configuration of the NIC (Tom Eastep)
  Re: DNS nightmare Help... (Valentine Murzenok)
  Re: NIC probs (Mike Kelly)
  Re: Need help with route (Valentine Murzenok)
  Finally Finished - THE BEST Y2K T- SHIRT!  344 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Getting linux to PPP logon to Juno Web ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux box vs switched hub (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: 2 computers and internet (sensei)
  Re: IP Masq Changes in Kernel 2.2.12 (Allen Wong)
  2 NICs under Mandrake Linux ("Tom Shell")
  Remote Printing Problems (Vincent)
  Re: Connecting using kppp (Neville Cobb)
  wu-ftp problem (andy qi)
  RH6 and XFS over a network... (David Pollack)
  Re: NFS with RedHat 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PLEASE HELP How can I connect to my ISP? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Getting linux to PPP logon to Juno Web ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: wu-ftp problem (Cameron L. Spitzer)

From: "Colin Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.samba
Subject: Re: Linux CookBook Project Online!
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 23:11:33 GMT

I can help out anyone with SAMBA Questions on SLACKWARE distributions.... or
at least I will try to help, as I have had no problems on my own network....

Colin

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Laughters_domain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP How can I connect to my ISP?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 23:35:04 GMT

Hi, If I think your modem is the kind that i think it is then your modem
wont work.  I know that the aopen 56K P is a WinModem.  There are several
articles on winmodems @ redhat.com.  If your aopen isn't a win modem, then
go to redhat.com and search for modem install. First is to make sure your
modem works in Linux, then the isp will be next.

If you can get minicom to atdt, and you still need help, email
me@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

goodluck

------------------------------

From: Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL User: Problem with the configuration of the NIC
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 23:15:25 +0000

Herve Dubreuil wrote:

> I'm a DSL user and have 2 Network Card.
> The first is a EtheRx VP 10/100:  KNE110 TX from Kingston
> It's the one I use under Windows to access internet.
>
> The second on is a 3Com 905B and is used on the Local Area Network
>
> I configured both of them in the kernel (I put them in, no as module).
> I configured the card:
> The kingston:
> Eth0 using the tulip driver and the corect DNS IP IRQ
> The 3com

Try the de4x5 driver on this one (The RH6.0 HW compatibility page
recommends this one for the only Kingston driver listed. I've also had
better luck with it than with the Tulip driver).

> Eth1 using the 3c509 driver and the correct DNS IP IRQ

And the 3c59x driver on this one. The RH6.0 HW compatibility page
explicitly excludes the 3c905B from use with the 3c509 driver.

Good Luck,
-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \    are my own and not

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Valentine Murzenok)
Subject: Re: DNS nightmare Help...
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:01:28 GMT

>If from a remote PC (Win98) I use the explorer (network is configure using
>TCP/IP address as 198.162.0.1 and DNS is set ON with IP addresses as my
>Linux box and two IP addresses provided by my ISP):
>The Linux box Diald call the ISP provider,
>While the modem is connected I can ping from the remote PC a valid Internet

have you got dns server installed?
if not, i would suggest to install caching DNS server on 192.168.0.1
and every PC on the network will have 192.168.0.1 as a DNS

--
  \\\\\\\\\\\\---------------///////////////
     Replying to e-mail, do not forget to

------------------------------

From: Mike Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC probs
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:58:37 -0400

where do i find 8390.c? i couldn't see it anywhere in the menuconfig for
compiling it w/ the kernel.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Valentine Murzenok)
Subject: Re: Need help with route
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:02:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Eastep wrote:

>> I get:
>> SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
i guess something wrong with nic settings

--
  \\\\\\\\\\\\---------------///////////////

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Finally Finished - THE BEST Y2K T- SHIRT!  344
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:13:38 GMT

We finally finished it! The only Y2K T - SHIRT you wont feel like a geek wearing.
Check  it out at http://www.y2kts.com
vqyzhcpntrwnnfzjjzbcvtknjytpxchxplynychdtechcxpcoefwwiolomwhwexekolz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Getting linux to PPP logon to Juno Web
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:19:09 GMT

Hi,  I have Juno as my ISP and under Windows it works fine.  I want to
be able to access JunoWeb via Linux as I find it a bit more efficient
and to my liking.  Using the RedHat/KDE PPP setup tool I get the
following.  The 1st message was when I used terminal based
authentication and the second one is when I try CHAP or PAP
authentication.   Note that in the terminal based authentication I get a
 message that indicates UUNET is involved.  Am I doing something wrong
in the setup or is there some intermediate login (to get on via uunet)
that Juno is not telling me?  I have tried to contact Juno via their
support e-mail to no avail.  Is there somewhere I can look on Windows95
to see what they are doing?
TIA Ray

When I try the terminal base authentication scheme I get....

UQKT2 tnt1.warrenton.va.da.uu.net

login:

When I try to use chap or pap I get ..........
Aug 30 20:29:04 rays_pc pppd[670]: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid
Aug 30 20:29:04 rays_pc pppd[670]: Using interface ppp
Aug 30 20:29:04 rays_pc pppd[670]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua2
Aug 30 20:29:05 rays_pc pppd[670]: Remote message: ^D^EM-t^B^F
Aug 30 20:29:05 rays_pc pppd[670]: PAP authentication failed
Aug 30 20:29:05 rays_pc pppd[670]: LCP terminated by peer
Aug 30 20:29:08 rays_pc pppd[670]: Connection terminated.
Aug 30 20:29:08 rays_pc pppd[670]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Aug 30 20:29:08 rays_pc pppd[670]: Exit.
Notice that the remote system has sent the following message
"^D^EM-t^B^F"
This may give you a hint why the the connection has failed.
Check that you supplied the correct username and password!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux box vs switched hub
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:25:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) wrote:
> Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > Well, the way that he phrased the question, yes.  However, Linux can
> > function as a switch (for some damn reason the howto is called
> > bridging, but they MEAN what I call switching).
>
> Switching is an ambiguous term.
>
> It sometimes refers to layer-2 switches, which is perform bridging,
and
> sometimes to layer-3 switches, which perform routing.  And sometimes
it
> refers to other kinds of switches, which may perform bridging,
routing,
> prioritization, filtering, firewalling, and other services.
>
> I prefer to keep the terms unambiguous and say "bridging" and
"routing"
> when I'm talking about a single service.  I suspect the author of the
> howto feels the same way.

I hadn't thought of it that way.  That sort of throws my perceptions off
a bit, since they say that the routing code in the kernel handles the
bridging.  And don't layer 3 switches function a bit differenly from
routers?  I know that they work on the protocol layer, but our layer3
switches (different from our layer2 switches) act a bit differently from
our routers (a pair of Cisco 2500s).  I can't put it into words very
easily, since I don't have a reference book or the devices available to
me from home.
   Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: sensei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 computers and internet
Crossposted-To:
comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.ras,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:53:47 +1700

I think I have it figured out!

I have a linux (Redhat 5.2) server with internet access,
anda win98 box networked via generic ne2000 ethernet cards.

Internet access and e-mail works fine on the linux gateway,
but could not  access the net from the win98 machine via the
linux gateway.

Here is what I did.

Make sure your internet access (ppp) connection is up and
working correctly.

make sure your LAN is working properly by pinging all
computers on it from every other computer on it

now read the IP-Masquarade mini HOWTO, and you will find a
section (after the system setup stuff) that tells you how to
use the IPFWADM program. (stands for IP Firewall
Administration.)

In there it describes how to deny access to all, and also
allow access to those machines as you desire.

run the program as instructed and  ....viola!!! it will
work!!

It also sugests that you install the lines in your
/etc/rc.local file so that it will re-initialise he settings
automatically on boot/reboot.

Hope this helps some of you.

Luke

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masq Changes in Kernel 2.2.12
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:54:58 -0700

Dean,

    Thank you for answering.  Yes, the ip_masq_ftp module does exist.  I
am able to access ftp sites, but I had to make a slight change in my
firewall rules.  Everything works; I'm just curious as to why I needed
to make the change.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Shell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 NICs under Mandrake Linux
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 21:08:28 -0500

I have two generic NE2000 cards installed in a 486 to be used as a
router/firewall.  The first card installs with no problem.  I can't seem to
get the second identical card working.  Whenever the eth1 interface starts,
I get a "Delaying eth1 initialization" message.  eth1 never successfully
starts at bootup and I cannot start the interface from the command line.

Useful information:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.7.3

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device

/etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda2
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdk
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda7
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda
apend="ether=11,0x340,0,0,eth1"

/etc/conf.modules

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=10
alias eth1 ne2
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
options ne2 io=0x340 irq=11

I have verified the settings on the card.  The card at 0x300 and irq 10
works beautifully .
What am I missing?  Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent)
Subject: Remote Printing Problems
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 23:04:46 -0400

Hi.  I am able to print a test page to our remote printer ( a HP
inkjet connected to a Win98 machine), from RedHat 5.2's printtool only if
I reset the printer from the menu after each time I try to print.  Also,
I'm not able to print anything at all from Netscape.  The Printing How-To
doesn't say much on either problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Vince

------------------------------

From: Neville Cobb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Connecting using kppp
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 12:26:40 +1000

The log files below are the only ones that I know of in respect to ppp
and kppp. If this isn't enough to perform a diagnosis on please advise
me which files contain the data you need and where they may be.

PPP-Logfile
===========
Sep  4 17:48:42 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid 0
Sep  4 17:48:42 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: Using interface ppp0
Sep  4 17:48:42 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Sep  4 17:48:42 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
Sep  4 17:49:12 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: LCP: timeout sending
Config-Requests
Sep  4 17:49:12 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: Connection terminated.
Sep  4 17:49:12 NevilleCobb pppd[595]: Exit.

kppp's disgnosis
================
The remote system does not seem to answer to configuration requests! -
contact your provider.

=====================================

------------------------------

From: andy qi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wu-ftp problem
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 03:00:47 GMT

I have redhat linux6.0 setup as a gateway to internet using IP
masquerade. www, ping, telnet all work fine. It does not let me ftp to
localhost using any valid login accout. The message shows as follow:

ftp localhost
connected to localhost
xyz.home.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-VR17(1) ...) ready.
Name (localhost: bob):
331 Password required for bob:
Password: xxxxxx
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

I have the correct login (bob) and its password as a login user.
telnet localhost as bob works fine. Please help if anyone has ideas.
ftp from outside (gateway) and using different user name failed also.
This is the ftpaccess file:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

email root@localhost

loginfails 5

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all
chmod           no              guest,anonymous
delete          no              guest,anonymous
overwrite       no              guest,anonymous
rename          no              guest,anonymous

log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

guestuser *
realgroup *

passwd-check rfc822 warn

Regards,
-Andy Qi

------------------------------

From: David Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: RH6 and XFS over a network...
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 20:01:37 -0700

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the stock xfs to work over a
network. hehe. I have been reading that the fonts server should be on
tcp port 7000 but I haven't gotten it to work. I was wondering if I
would have to get another font server or if it is just a config file
thing. Thanks for the help in advance.

PS. I am having trouble with my news server so please CC my a copy of
any replys that go on this list. Also make sure that the subjects starts
with  RE: or else my mail filters will delete it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NFS with RedHat 6.0
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 02:59:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a problem with RedHat 6.0 NFS
>
> I had to recompile the kernel to support Stallion multiport board.
> Now, when i boot, the nfsd refuse to start, the /var/log/messages
> contain:
>
> Sep  1 11:36:23 loex nfs: Starting NFS services:  succeeded
> Sep  1 11:36:24 loex nfs: rpc.statd startup succeeded
> Sep  1 11:36:24 loex nfs: rpc.rquotad startup succeeded
> Sep  1 11:36:24 loex nfs: rpc.mountd startup succeeded
> Sep  1 11:36:25 loex rpc.nfsd: nfssvc: Function not implemented
> Sep  1 11:36:25 loex nfs: rpc.nfsd startup failed
>
> Can you help me ?

This stumped me for a bit, too.  I upgraded to the 2.2.5-22 kernel
and still had the same problem.  Do a "make mrproper" first to
completely clobber any configuration files -- especially any that
are residual from the package.  Then do the "make config".  Be
sure to "make modules" and "make modules_install".  After these
steps, the nfs daemon started up just fine...

Hope this helps...
Jim Morgan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 5 Sep 1999 03:59:05 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Euclid Laghai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I just installed red hat 6.0 on my computer. Nnow I want to be able to
>connect to my ISP. I am using a  AOpen FM56-H 56k data fax speakerphone
>PCI  modem on port COM3

I believe that is a winmodem. Sorry there are no drivers under linux for
any winmodem. You need to buy a real modem. Bad news I know.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Getting linux to PPP logon to Juno Web
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 03:13:29 GMT

1) What modem are you using, model type, internal, external, winmodem?
You need to make sure your modem is linux compatible, check the hardware
compatibility list at redhat's site.

2) If your modem is Linux compatible then getting it set up should not
be difficult.  You only need to know the logon information that your ISP
provided for you to setup your windows connection, phone number to dial,
logon name, password, nameservers and gateway addresses, do you have a
static IP address or dynamically assigned, etc.

3) I used the linuxconf system administration tool that came with redhat
to set up my connection.  You must be the root user and type 'linuxconf'
on the command line to start it up. If you installed the documentation
when you installed your redhat linux you can get the instructions to
setup your modem with linuxconf using your netscape web browser to open
the file on your computer with this address:
file:/usr/doc/rhl-install-guide-en-6.0/manual/doc070.html#s8.1.4.1
If you did not install this documentation you can download (using
windows) the redhat linux install guide from several sites
(www.redhat.com, www.metalab.unc.edu, etc).

4)  After I set up my connection I then start and stop my connection
using the usernet graphical tool.

If that doesn't get you going feel free to email me.
Chip

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: wu-ftp problem
Date: 5 Sep 1999 03:51:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, andy qi wrote:

>I have redhat linux6.0 setup as a gateway to internet using IP
>masquerade. www, ping, telnet all work fine. It does not let me ftp to
>localhost using any valid login accout. The message shows as follow:
>
>xyz.home.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-VR17(1) ...) ready.

If your computer is exposed to the Internet, or other hostile network,
the first thing you should do is remove wu-2.4.2 from your computer.
Or at least move the ftpd (or in.ftpd) to some other location where
inetd cannot find it.

wu-ftpd-2.4.2 has a known exploit which can yield a root shell to the
attacker.

Get wu-ftpd-2.5.0 from ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/ and read the
documentation.  It's simple to build and install.

Then go fix the tcpd problem (/etc/hosts.deny ?) that's likely preventing
you from connecting from localhost.

Cameron