  Re: automatic ppp disconnection (Andrzej Filip)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rohan Oberoi)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: Re: WD 8013 NIC: Strange networking failure
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:49:19 GMT

An update: I put an 8013WC in at eth1 (io300, irq10) and it pings
fine.  The 8013W's still do not work.

Anyone know the difference between the 8013W and the 8013WC that might
explain this?  The 8013W's are marked WDC, 1990 and are jumpered to
"soft" io/irq/ram.  They pass all the SMC EZSTART tests.  The 8013WC
is marked SMC, 1992, similarly jumpered, and passes all the tests.

Regards,
Rohan

------------------------------

From: "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux read a win98 floppy?
Date: 31 May 1999 07:48:15 PDT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <7ilcmj$scj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way to mount a floppy in RedHat 6 that will allow it
> > to read a Win98 floppy?
> >
> > i've tried:
> >
> > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy   to no avail....always says "define
> > filesystem type"
> >
> > as well as
> >
> > mount /dev/fd0 /mount/floppy
> >
> > so i don't know....i'm a newbie..and could use a few
> > pointers....also.....if you know anything about cdroms and mounting
> > them.... the ones i make are ISO9660 and it worked for a
> > while.....then i rebooted and now nothing works.
>
> The easiest and best way is to use this command...
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>
> Since WIN98/95 uses msdos as it's base, this command will allow you to
> read any dos formatted disk. If the file name is longer than 8
> characters it will give the usual dos8.3 file name... ex:
> thisismyfile.txt will show up as
> thisis~1.txt
> Just `mv` (rename) the file when you have transferred or copied to
> your local harddrive on Linux.

When I do

  mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

I get Win95 long file names in Linux, so I don't have to rename anything
after copying files off the floppy.  I'm using RH5.2 (2.0.36) with the
"stock" kernel, which has vfat built into it.

Yours WDK - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric LEMAITRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sendmail can't start in RH
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:38:20 +0200

Jim a écrit :

>  I have a home network and use windows for all my mail.  I want to
> install my linux redhat 5.2 for just a local intranet web and not use
> it for mail.
>  SENDMAIL is giving me an error and takes a long time to time out.
> I'd like to not use it at all on the linux box at this time.  How do I
> disable it?
>  Jim

Hi !

Yes, these suc...r.s     ....     very nasty boys from Red-Hat have put POP-3
package into IMAP one. So, in order to use POP-3, you must install IMAP
package. What a silliness !
IMAP is a very different standard for Email from POP-3, this could'nt be
guessed easilly at all.
I love Linux Red-Hat, but for this I am angry. I lost hours finding it out.

Bye !

------------------------------

From: "Christopher A. Gaul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MARS/Netware server help.
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 13:45:31 -0400

I'm trying to get MARS running as a Novell server on a SuSE 6.1 box. I
believe I have the server setup ok, the daemon is running and the server
shows itself when I do an slist on the server. I have read the Linux IPX
Howto and the little bit of docs that come with MARS. I still can't get
the server to show up on the network at a workstation. I think the
problem may be at the client side. Any tips on the client side setup? My
clients are all Win95. I have tried both the Netware client that comes
with Win95 and the Novell 3.1 client off their site.

ANY help greatly appreciated.
e-mail response much preferred.
Thanks in advance,
Christopher A. Gaul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Geoffrey L. Goetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing networks on a laptop...
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:34:55 -0400

Ian Tester wrote:

> try installing a package called either "bind" or maybe "named"

THANKS: I installed bind-8.1.1-6.i386.rpm, bind-doc-8.1.1-6.i386.rpm,
and bind-utils-8.1.1-6.i386.rpm all from the COL 2.2 CD 1 using
kpackage.  I now have access to the command ndc (just a script interface
to named???) that Gary referenced.

QUESTION: Understanding that I do have some more reading to do (RTM),
but does using this command assume that I am running a DNS server
(named) on my laptop?  Is this necessary?  I only want my laptop to
communicate out, not back.  I understand that lots of applications need
to be peer-to-peer, but will ndc actually modify (communicate to) the
name servers listed in my /etc/resolv.conf file?  Or will it only
communicate to the DNS running on my laptop?  Currently
  # ndc restart

does not work for me since I do not have a /etc/named.conf file yet.

IMHO: One thing about kpackage and COL 2.2 in general, I haven't been
getting complete installs, sure the binaries are all there (??), but no
files.  Meaning no /etc/named.conf when I installed bind and no
/etc/named.conf on the initial install.  I noticed the same thing with
samba and dhcpcd as well.

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------

From: "Geoffrey L. Goetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clear out the route table?
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:34:52 -0400

Brian Witowski wrote:

> I believe it's something like route delete or route remove as opposed to
> route add.

This works if I know all of the entries in the route table to begin
with.  meaning if I was doing this by hand (manually) I could accomplish
my task.  I am looking for an automated way (script) to completely
rebuild the route table for a given NIC (or eth0 in my case) regardless
of its current state.

Right now, so long as I am only adding and removing a single default
route for each network configuration, I should be fine.

  route delete default
  route add default gw 10.15.1.1 eth0

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------

From: Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Browsing and Printing via Samba
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:58:30 +0200

NT with SP4 needs encryption, 4.4.2.2. on my web-page.
You need WINS for cross-subnet browsing, that is there as well.

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://www.germanynet.de/teilnehmer/101/69082/samba.html

From: "Data Lor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM 56k v.90 Xjack PCMCIA Modem
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:04:18 -0400

Anyone have this card working?  /var/log/messages indicates it is
unsupported, is that correct?  I've tried this on both Redhat 5.2 with
Pcmcia 3.0.9 and Redhat 6.0 with Pcmcia 3.0.9.

Thanks,
Joe

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Zweimueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comm.internet.routing
Subject: Re: Linux: ICMP Redirect, IP Source Routing unterdruecken
Date: 31 May 1999 13:38:47 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Detlef Bosau) writes:

> Man hat mir gelegentlich das Zitat nachgesagt:
>
> Server serven, Router routen, Rechner rechnen.

.. und Drucker drucken -- oder gibts da soager welche, die faxen
können ?  ;-)

Es gibt halt immer wieder Situationen, in denen die Aufgabenverteilung
nicht streng nach solchen schönen Regelen gemacht werden kann
(wirtschaftliche, praktische, persönliche Gründe, etc.)

> Ein Host hat genau _ein_ Default-Gateway. An einem Netzwerk, an
> dem Hosts haengen, haengt naemlich _genau_ _ein_ Routerport.

Diese Folgerung kann ich nicht nachvollziehen!

> Einzige Ausnahme: Ein HSRP-Paerchen.
>
> Wer andere Konfigurationen vorliegen hat, hat meines Erachtens
> ein grundsaetzliches Problem und schon das naechste Projekt
> im Terminkalender:

Falls du mal nach Salzburg kommst, dann zeige ich dir ein Netz wo
mehrere Router an einem LAN hängen. Und wir haben gute Gründe, das so
zu belassen.

Ich gebe aber zu, daß es bisher (aufgrund verteilter Kompetenzen)
nicht immer reibungslos abging.

> "Netz strukturieren."

Was ich im Kalender habe, heisst: Dokumentation aktuell halten.

Ciao, Wolfgang.

------------------------------

From: "Mads Skov Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache not authorized to read public_html dir
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 21:00:03 +0200

Please help. Subj. is driving me nuts!

When browsing to servername/~user/  I get "You are not authorized to view
this page".
My /etc/skel includes the public_html dir, and I have tried adding a

<Directory  /home/*/public_html>
   AllowOverride None
   order deny,allow
   allow from all
</Directory>

in access.conf.
I have already checked that the public_html dir under each user has the 755
access rights.
When enabling 755 access rights to the user dir itself, everything is fine
and the homepages are shown.
I'm running RedHat 5.2.

Help would be much appreciated!!!!!

/Mads Skov Hansen

------------------------------

From: Andrzej Filip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: automatic ppp disconnection
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:12:22 +0200

Saqr M Binghalib wrote:

>  I need some help please/..
>
>  I am setting  up my system to log on the internet every 3 hours and
> execute sendmail and fetchmail to send and recieve my email and then
> distribute it others users as well..
>
>  I am using the system wide crontab file for the schduling..
>
>  The problem I am facing now. is how can I make my internet connection
> close after the mail has been downloaded.
>
>  Is there a way it can disconnect if there is no activity ? or as soon
> as sendmail and fetchmail finsih it disconects.. ? I can figure out how
> to manage that. I dont want to set a time limit for disconnection
> because we could recieve large files sometimes and may need more time to
>
> download than other days.. (  ISP charges for time online.. therefore i
> want to the computer to be online just enough so it may download the
> mail and then disconect..

1) most modern modems has their own inactivity time-out
You may set it via initial AT command
2) pppd has another inactivity timer
See "man pppd" for details
3) try the following script