From: Gyepi Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help with ethernet card please!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:24:35 -0400

Sounds like an interrupt conflict.

cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports

Make sure there are no conflicts and no overlaps.

-Gyepi

------------------------------

From: Roberto Nunnari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: watching the local network
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:11:18 +0200

Hi there,

I need to watch what's going on the local network.
Can any kind soul explain to me how this can be done using
my linux (slackware 4.0) box? I especially need to watch
what a particular machine puts on the ethernet.

Thanks.
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Arun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: changing TCP pkt data on the fly
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:06:29 GMT

Hi Linux Gurus

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into
manipulating TCP packets on a network.

The pkg would run on a router and modify packets
flowing thru it, i.e. change application data

This would involve recalculating lengths, checksums etc.

Is there an easy way to do this ? (using ip-chains,
tcpdump etc. ?)

Thanks in advance

--Arun

Arun M Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Ashley Cambrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: samba <-> inet <-> samba via cable modem
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:55:33 +1000

Hi all,

Was just wondering what the best way (secure) of having two win9x networks
linked via a cable modem through the internet.

The cable modems will be on the samba network servers (one on each end
running WINS)

VPN? IP tunnelling (Vtun)? or other?

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone

Ashley Cambrell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: netatalk
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:10:17 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Dieter_Haerle_Tel._28594" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I installed netatalk to connect my mac to my linux-pc. Everything worked
> fine and I can mount the linux partition on my mac.
> But I could not not find any method to mount a disk from my mac on the
> linux pc. Does anybody know how to do it??

You need to find the package afpfs.  I found it from a link from one of
the netatalk web sites, but I don't have a URL handy, I'm afraid.  I've
also not yet installed it on my system (it's a pretty low priority), so I
don't know how well it works.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tom Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and ADSL with GTE
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:17:29 GMT

Well, GTE's commercial division merged with Bell Atlantic
this year.  So the merger may change things as far as
ADSL service.  I don't know.  I'm a techie, not a 'suit'.

I first booted Linux in 1993.  I've worked at GTE for 3 years now
and I never seen or heard any anti-Linux comments.

I just switched ISP to Sprint from someone else.  Sprint was
offering such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.  I didn't
tell Sprint a thing about connecting with Linux.  I just
went ahead and did it.  Everything worked great!  I don't see
any reason why you couldn't do the same thing with any other ISP.

I hope GTE provides good service at a competitive price, but if
they don't, you owe it to yourself to find someone who does.

Just my '2 cents' worth.

Tom
--

--
The views expressed are the author's and do not necessarily
reflect the official position of GTE or any of its subsidiaries

------------------------------

From: "Angel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP Users
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:56:55 +0200

    What you are looking for is FTP anonymous access. You can begin to
search info in:

    man ftpaccess   -->   look for 'guestgroup'

        Gook luck

Angel Belda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Waterfront Internet Service escribió en mensaje
<7iu5re$qg6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Spineboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.announce,linux.redhat.digest,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm,linux.samba
Subject: Re: Anyone get Redhat 6.0 + Cable Modem working?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:10:04 GMT

> Matt Goebel wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm trying in vain to get my Linux box connected to the outside world
>
> > whatsoever how to do this.  If anyone out there has got a cable modem
> > working with Redhat 6.0 please tell me how to do it.  If I do have to use
> > dhcpcd please give me a detailed and easy to follow plan on how to do this.
> > HELP!!!!!  Thanks all

Hey follow this link, it worked for me

HTTP://members.home.net/jasonbrossa/Linux/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: netatalk dies with large files
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:09:04 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Bob Rakov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have a mac home network with a PC running RH 6.0 (kernel 2.29) serving
> internet connections.
>
> Netatalk works fine for 99% of our file sharing needs.  However, with large
> files (like when backing up a mac to the server) netatalk dies after around
> 300 Mb (of a 1.5 Gb file) with the message:
>
> "The file server¹s connection has unexpectedly closed down [9:40 PM on
> 6/9/99]."
>
> I'm using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.13

I'm using an RPM of netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4 on my system (RH 6.0,
kernel 2.2.8; formerly RH 5.2 with assorted kernels through 2.2.3).
Whenever I try to create a file larger than ~100MB on my Linux box from
the Mac, I get a spurious "disk full" or sometimes an "error of type
-50". This is with MacOS 8.5.1 on an iMac.  I suspect that either
netatalk or the implementation of AppleTalk on MacOS 8.5.1 has some sort
of bug related to reporting of free disk space.  It's conceivable you're
running into something similar.  OTOH, my server doesn't crash.  My
workaround (and an ugly one it is) is to create an HFS image file on the
Linux box ("dd if=/dev/zero of=foo.img bs=1024 count=xx"; then use xhfs
to create an HFS filesystem on it) and create my big file in that.  This
works.  I can then use xhfs or a mount of the image file via a loopback
device to get the file out of the image file.  Of course, this is ugly,
and awkward, and requires at least twice the available free disk space it
should, but it works.

If you find a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

From: Terry Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: usr sportster 28.8 modem init string for office use HELP
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:44:18 -0500

Greetings,

I have usr sportster 28.8  (is not PNP )

at home on a POTS line   ATDT123-1234   works fine.

when i took it to the office it requirs 9 -123-1234

ATDT9123-1234  fails with no dial tone

i have tries many variations of  , ; \ to get it to work.

does anyone have a string that works for this application ??

Thanks in advance,....

linux  2.0.34     slackware...............

at diald sting would work too..

Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unstable NFS (via wireless ethernet)
Date: 8 Jun 1999 21:34:09 GMT

Fung Wai Keung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am 7 Jun 1999 09:44:13 GMT in comp.os.linux.networking:
FWK> Hi all,

FWK>    My NFS system is unstable.  The clients frequently lost connection
FWK> from server.  The linkage lost last for 1 sec to 2 mins.  The unstability
FWK> began after my system has been moved to a new building.  Plz give me
FWK> suggestions on getting rid of the annoying NFS linkage lost.

The problem is  the wireless connection type. This is independent from
your client or OS.
The problem is -- your wirless lan is disturbed from some external
sources. Perhaps a BUG ?

mfG
        Jojo

- Professionelle Linux Server, Professioneller Support und Dienstleistungen ---
- AutomatiX GmbH  - Vollautomatische Kransteuerungen & SAP fähiges Lagergerät -
- Jürgen Sauer Neue Str. 11 28790 Schwanewede        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- +49 4209-4699 +49 172-5466499  FAX  +49 4209 4644  http://www.automatix.de  -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Smithson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc,earthlink.tech-support.other_dialup_software,earthlink.Unix-Hangout
Subject: linux RH 6.0 +Earthlink dialup troubles
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:05:06 GMT

Hi everyone,

I've been trying for the last couple of days to get my new RedHat
installation (6.0) to dial in to Earthlink.  So far, no success.
Everything is ok with Windows + Earthlink, so I'm sure the problem
is a setting somewhere that I just haven't found.  I'm a linux newbie
so please cut me a little slack!

So far I've just tried to use the linuxconf utility to set everything
up.  I have the domain name and primary and secondary DNS
servers defined.  I changed the default modem init string to the
same one that Win 95 uses.  I have hardware flow control
activated, line speed set to 57,600, no PPP options, and the
modem port is set to /dev/modem.

The modem dials out ok and makes a connection, or at least it
attempts to make a connection.  I think the most likely source
of the problem is in the chat setup I have, which is:

expect:  login:

send:  username

expect:  Password:

send:  password

I can step through the login process in Windows where I manually
input my username and password, and everything works fine.
DUN indicates that is is using CHAP as an auth. protocol.
Do I need to setup linux to do this?

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.  I'd be glad to dig out
any logs or scipts that anybody thinks should be checked.

Thanks,

Trevor Smithson

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba: Only one Win95 machine can access Net Neighborhood
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 07:29:02 GMT

You need to make sure your Linux box is setup to do domain logins, and that you
set your Win95 boxes to logon to a WinNT domain, speicifying just the domain
(the Linux/Smb part should take care of the rest).  It would be helpful if you
attached your smb.conf file though.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: SOHO fast eithernet kit and linux
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:59:23 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7jn9ne$675$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I'm looking at getting a LAN up in my house since
> I am getting another computer. I've been looking
> at the SOHO fast eithernet kit since it's cheap
> and has everything I need. I emailed there sales
> guy asking what kind of NICs came with the kit but
> he didn't give me an answer. and also the kits are
> PnP PCI NICs, which he said could not be disabled
>
> so anyone know what kinds of cards the kits use
> and if it's possible to get PcP PCI cards to work
> in linux. I know PnP support is limited at best
> under linux but I also know that if the linux as a
> driver for the card I should be able to use that

First, *ALL* PCI devices are PnP.  PCI PnP poses no problem to Linux, and
in fact it's generally easier to set up a PCI board than an ISA board,
assuming you've got drivers for both.  It's *ISA* PnP that can cause
problems for Linux, and even that can usually be worked around with the
isapnptools package.

Second, IIRC, the brand of networking hardware is SOHOware, not SOHO, but
I might be mistaken or we might be referring to different products.  If
we're talking about the same products, though, I'm pretty sure that they
use a clone of the DEC Tulip chipset, and Tulip support comes with
Linux.  The problem is that many of the clone chipsets work poorly, if at
all, with the 0.89H version of the Tulip driver that still ships with
Linux kernels (though kernel 2.2.9, at least).  Fortunately, you can get
an upgraded driver from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip-devel.html.  Drop this
into your kernel source tree, recompile, and it'll work quite well.  If
you want to avoid this hassle, I'm told that Intel's got some PCI
networking cards that work quite well, though they're much more
expensive.  (In fact, a short time ago Linus Torvalds himself posted
recommending these, and said he'd recommend Tulip-based cards as a group
as #2 except that the poster to whom he was responding was reporting a
problem with one of these.)  I gather that some 3COM models also work
quite well with Linux out of the box, but I know even less about these.
The D-Link DFE-530TX uses the VIA Rhine chipset, and I've seen some
positive posts about this board and chipset.  I believe the driver was
only recently added to the Linux kernel, though, so it may or may not
exist in your kernel as it's compiled now.

Third, I don't know about the SOHOware brand in particular, but I've
heard that some of these networking "kits" come with 10/100 Mbps
networking cards but 10 Mbps hubs.  This means that you'll have the
hardware in the computers for 100 Mbps communication, but the hub will
become a bottleneck.  I'd therefore recommend that you make sure that the
kit includes a 10/100 Mbps hub, as well as networking cards.  If it
doesn't, either look at another kit or buy separate cards and hub.  Linux
isn't fussy about hubs; they require no drivers of their own, and there
are almost never problems mixing hub and NIC brands, so you can buy
whatever seems most appropriate for your needs (price, number of ports,
size, etc.).  OTOH, even 10 Mbps should be adequate for many small-network
purposes, and that will save you some money.  In the end, you'll have to
decide for yourself where you want to rest on the price/performance curve.

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: newbie: Best way of setting up ip-numbers?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:58:49 +0100

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Wheely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I wanna install Linux on my system, but I'm not sure what ip-addresses I
> > should use for various tasks on my system.

[snip]

> > (is it possible to give ftp telnet separate ip-addresses?)
>
> erm, i think so, but why would you want to?

This is where I want to ask my questions ... ;-)

Every system is unique, and I am in the process of a "gradual" migration
from M$ to Linux. I have a dedicated Linux box acting as a gateway (PPP
to ISP), cacheing DNS, Firewall, Sybase server, Apache webserver, and a
whole lot more.

I have ended up aliasing about 7 IP addresses to my eth0. 192.168.1.1 is
the primary, then 192.168.1.2 through 8 are aliased.

Why, you ask ... !

My ISP automatically routes my mail to me when I connect (using SMTP to
my sendmail daemon/inetd job). I have an unlimited number of e-mail
addresses at my ISP, and I have created a number of user logins for
those which I regularly use, such as a number of mailing lists go to the
sybase user, and then there is my personal account, my wife's account, a
couple of others, and then there is the maildefault account where
everything unaccounted for gets dumped.

This is all great, and I can seperate my mail feeds very effectively.

But, for convenience, I use IMAP and Netscape 4.6 (on my Windows
machine) to view my mail on the Linux server, and Netscape only seems to
allow for one mailbox on each "mailhost". Thus, although I want to have
seperate mailboxes, netscape will only let me connect to one mailbox on
each host. So, I have created all the alias IP addresses on my eth0 so
that netscape can actually *think* it is connecting to different
mail-hosts, but it is actually connecting to the *same* host.

That is the long background to a short question ...

Is there a better way of doing this...?

If not, then I have a practical use of assigning multiple IP addresses
to the same net device ...

gus

------------------------------

From: Rey Cobham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH Linux + Win95 mapping problems
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:24:25 +0100

Sorry if this some of this seems vague - I've still got my L plates on...

We have a (school) network running off a Linux server, via TCP/IP.  We
_were_ using whatever version of Samba came with Red Hat 5.1 and had it
configured to run a batch file to map a drive (e:) on the Win 95 machines
to whatever the users relevent HOME directory was.  However the company
managing the server kindly upgraded to a newer version of Samba - and the
mapping now fails with a syntax error.

The instruction we were using was NET USE e: /HOME , stored in Netlogon.
Upon inspection it seems that HOME is not being passed to the Win'95
machines, as NET USE (no parameters) returns with our currently (manually
mapped drives, via Network neighbourhood), and allows us to map further
drives as and when we browse through the Network Neighbourhood.

Anybody any thoughts on this one?  The necessity for mapping the drive is
essential for the school in order for us to set up the 1200 ish users
properly, and ATM its a bit of a nightmare!
Thanks in advance,

Rey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremiah)
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:50:26 GMT

In article <7jn9ad$478$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Jack Zhu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:

> Linux has no official support.

        False.  What do you think RedHat sells?  Ever heard of LinuxCare?

> Even right now distributors like Redhat
> provide limited support to their customers. But that's not enough.

        MS provides limited support to their customers too...  and
somehow this is enough?

> Just take
> my case: I upgrade my kernel to 2.2.1, but the document included in that
> kernel never give me any info that I also have to upgrade my pppd from 2.2.0
> to 2.3.6 or later. Or my ppp cannot work. How do you explain this?

        Maybe you didn't RTFM?   If you'd looked here:

http://www.kernelnotes.org/change22.html

or if you read the Changes file that came with the kernel, you should've
spotted it.

> I'm not an average compter user, I'm Oracle DBA. I think I know a little bit
> more about computer than average user. So what about average computer user?

        Upgrading a kernel isn't a simple operation...  the "average"
computer user probably shouldn't do it.   Still, it's nice to have the
option.

> Take more simple examples:
> which is more:  people know how to set up a printer under Windows 98, or
> under Linux?

        This is a significant shortcoming of Linux at the moment...

> Which is more: people know how to set up dialup under Win98, or Linux?

        Depending upon which tool you use, this can be as easy under Linux
as it is under Windows...

> What about establish home network, configure Iomega drive, configure sound
> card, even network card? For these items, MS just has big advantage.

        It took me 5 minutes to configure my sound card under Linux.
All I had to do was RTFM and then type 'sndconfig'.  It took me about
45 minutes under Windows because the drivers didn't install correctly
the first time...
        If I'd RTFM'ed a little better, it would've taken me about
5 minutes to set up my network card (as it is, it took me about an
hour) in Linux.

> Take your example, X-win and MS win: why still over 90% users use MS win?

        Linux still isn't quite "ready" for the desktop...  but it will
be shortly.  In any case, what does this prove about what the future will
hold?  There was a time when Lotus 1-2-3 was the dominant spreadsheet
and WordPerfect was the dominant word processor.  Things change.

> For corporate use, I absolutely choose Solaris or HP-UX. For personal use, I
> choose NT. 'cause there rarely are any apps available for Linux. What will
> you do for Linux if you want to manage your money?

        I use Xinvest.  I don't bother with "checkbook balancing" programs.

> Photoshop for Linux?

        GIMP?   It might not be good enough for professionals, but it's
more than adequate for the average home user.

> Companies with bigger bucks can use unix, with fewer money can use NT.
> Companies which cannot be afford for both cannot survive. Simple as this.

        Puh-leaze.  What about companies with little money that need a
stable OS?   Are they going to use NT?   Hahahahaha.  Seriously, Linux
entered the corporate world because IT people were given budgets and
told to make it work...  Linux was the cost-effective choice.  Your
"simple as this" is neither simple nor true.

> One day, if we say company like ML, GS, or LU use Linux, we can say Linux is
> beginning to be OK. But I don't think I have chance to see that day.

        I guess we shall see, eh?

Brian

--
email to bmeloon1 at twcny dot rr dot com.  evilquaker is a spam collector.