Linux-Networking Digest #496, Volume #11         Fri, 11 Jun 99 16:13:48 EDT

Contents:
  Re: --[ NT RAS and linux ]-- (Clifford Kite)
  Re: timeout on telnet login (Alex Yung)
  Re: Masquerading and Quicktime 4 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help: Internet-IP behind a Firewall (root)
  FTP and ipchains (LeeMan)
  timeout on telnet login (Lee Allen)
  setting up two ethernet cards ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: dns setup? ("Michael Faurot")
  Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem ("Rui Soutelino")
  Help! Networking & IP Masquerading & PPP, oh my! ("David Gallo")
  Re: Samba and my HP500 (Peter V Amerl)
  Re: not replacing existing default route to eth0 (Clifford Kite)
  must change routing tables ("David Murray")
  Re: HUGE wait when telnetting, ftping, etc to my linux box ("Andrey Smirnov")
  How to reassign IRQs? (Trevor Smithson)
  Re: rexecd on RedHat (Janet Jen)
  Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 Networking Problem (pl198)
  NFS Block size for Netgear FA310TX? (Ghost)
  Re: netbios over ip-masquerading (Raymonds Doetjes)
  de305 nic (pl198)
  Re: VNC over PPP? ("Clint Byrum")
  Re: Linux 2.2 IP Masquerading (Raymonds Doetjes)
  Re: HUB-Question ! (Wienux)
  Re: NETWORK NIGHTMARE ("John Zbesko")
  Re: /dev/ttyp# & /dev/pts permissions (Malware)
  Re: DNS: http://10.9.9.9/page.html -> http://www.dummy.net (Raymonds Doetjes)

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: --[ NT RAS and linux ]--
Date: 11 Jun 1999 10:49:22 -0500

HellNo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: anyone?

: In article <7jmdrd$s3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > A simple question but maybe not such a simple answer...
: >
: > Q: Can an NT RAS box validate a Linux box dialing in to it and can
: > Linux handle dial back?
: >
: > Any clues?

You can get an old post with some answers to this question here:

 http://www.inetport.com/~kite/

It's the RAScb.gz file.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: timeout on telnet login
Date: 11 Jun 1999 16:55:17 GMT

Lee Allen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This is probably a really dumb question.

: I attempt to login to a Linux system via telnet.  The login prompt
: appears on my screen.  I don't answer it.  After a minute, it gives up
: and disconnects me.

: Now clearly some program thinks it is supposed to timeout after 1
: minute.  Which program is timing out?  login, I guess.  How is the
: program told the timeout parameter?  I can't find anything in the man
: pages for login or telnetd.

: My goal is to eliminate the timeout for telnet logins, ideally, for
: specific classes of devices.  Specifically, our Network Stations, cuz
: once the login prompt disappears, it's a pain to get it back.

: Thanks.

See "/etc/login.defs" and "man login.defs".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Masquerading and Quicktime 4
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:50:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Cantin) wrote:
> Is there  a module or something to route  Quicktime 4 streaming video
> (RTS) with masquerading?
>
> Thx for any help
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I finally got it working. You can get the URL for Apple's free RTSP proxy for
linux by clicking on the "Click here for more information about proxies" link
in the QuickTime Control Panel under proxy settings. I couldn't get the shell
script to download from Apple's FTP site, but someone emailed me a copy. Once
I compiled it, it wouldn't work at first, but once i updated my /etc/hosts
file with the right FQDN for my linux box, everything worked fine. I now have
QuickTime Streaming working in conjunction with IPMasq on my linu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Internet-IP behind a Firewall
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:35:54 +0200

Gyepi Sam wrote:

> If the PC in your intranet is not visible to the external world, then why
> bother giving it a real IP address which would not be accessible to the
> external world?

This PC is an Videoconference System. But The System is also used for
educational work in the Intranet and has IPX-Protokoll. The Gateway
forward no IPX packets. IPX-protocol is not loaded in my gateway.

> I am not quite sure why an IPX protocol prevents you from using the ISP
> provided address.  Since you are masquerading, I assume you are also running
> some kind of a firewall, so why don't you restrict IPX packets from passing
> through the firewall?

Yes I'm using a firewall. Thats why i cannot patch the video-pc in the
internet-segment. The solution would be that the gateway receives all
packets for the video-pc and forwards all packets to that pc. So the
video-pc could get an "REAL-IP". But how to set up

> Gyepi

greetings Dirk Riebesell

------------------------------

From: LeeMan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTP and ipchains
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:02:55 -0700

HI All,
I have a linux box sitting between  DSL box and my internal network and
I am using ip masq and ip forwarding. Pretty basic setup. My question
is, how do I let users from the internal network ftp files in/out
through the linux box. I don't want to let other people ftp into my site
at all.
Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: timeout on telnet login
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:16:28 GMT

This is probably a really dumb question.

I attempt to login to a Linux system via telnet.  The login prompt
appears on my screen.  I don't answer it.  After a minute, it gives up
and disconnects me.

Now clearly some program thinks it is supposed to timeout after 1
minute.  Which program is timing out?  login, I guess.  How is the
program told the timeout parameter?  I can't find anything in the man
pages for login or telnetd.

My goal is to eliminate the timeout for telnet logins, ideally, for
specific classes of devices.  Specifically, our Network Stations, cuz
once the login prompt disappears, it's a pain to get it back.

Thanks.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: setting up two ethernet cards
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:48:28 -0500

   Hello, I have a 486 that I am trying to put to ethernet cards into.  I
can't seem to get it to work.  ifconfig will only recognize eth0  with eth1
I get "interface unknown".  The two cards are Intel etherexpress cards.
They are 10baseT and are ISA.  In my conf.modules I have the following

      alias eth0 eexpress
      options io=0x300 irq=5
      alias eth1 eexpress
      options io=0x310 irq=9

I am a newbie so I feel like I am shooting in the dark.  In one of the
previously posted messages they said something about disableing PnP.  I do
not know If I need to to do this or not.  I am not even sure if it is
enabled.
Any sort of help would be great.

Thanks,
Seth Norris

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dns setup?
Date: 11 Jun 1999 17:11:51 GMT

Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Im trying to setup a dns server on my linux box redhat 6.0 for educational
: reasons.  But am habing some problems I was wondering if someone could send
: me there config file named.boot and other relevant files just so i can see
: how its setup and works.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Try looking through the DNS HOWTO.

        http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Included are examples for configuration of bind v8.

Since you mention named.boot, and if you're still using bind v4, you
may wish to look at this older copy of the DNS HOWTO:

        http://www.math.uio.no/~janl/DNS/

 Michael | mfaurot  | Many a family tree needs trimming.
 Faurot  | atww.org |

------------------------------

From: "Rui Soutelino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:36:00 +0100

Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem?

when I try it in win98 appeared in a window on control panel a message like
"to use
this modem in DOS use the following settings .... " witch were different
from the settings on win, my question is:
if it can work in DOS, is it a Winmodem?
And by the way it has two nice Chips from Rockwell,  this means anything?
If anyone has any clue about it please post it, please.

After of setting it up in win I install it in a linux box running REDHAT 5.0
Kernel 2.0.36 in a 486 dx4, using setserial it reported the same irq and io
port that has in the previous window in the win machine, but when I use pppd
to dialup I got an input/output error.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "David Gallo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Networking & IP Masquerading & PPP, oh my!
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:11:51 -0700

Okay. I'm fed up with trying to do book learning. I just want a solution.
Once I get that I'll go back and figure out how it works. :)

Here's my set-up:

1 Server running RedHat 5.2 with a 56k modem and 1 NIC
5+ Windows 98 PCs with NIC

I've got PPP working and it dials my ISP just fine. I'm able to browse the
web and everything from my Server.

I'm also able to telnet and ftp to my server from the Win 98 machines. No
problems there.

How do I set up IP masquerading with a ipfwadm so that I can browse the web
on the win 98 machines? I really don't want to go out and set up a separate
firewall machine.

Can anyone help? Please e-mail me directly with answers or if you want more
info. I'm really eager to get this working ASAP.

Thanks,

David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter V Amerl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.samba
Subject: Re: Samba and my HP500
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:51:03 -0600

Ditto, same problem here...
I've tried many things...

Desperately,
Peter

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: not replacing existing default route to eth0
Date: 11 Jun 1999 13:06:48 -0500

Ed Pfromer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I am trying to set up my Linux box as a gateway for my home LAN to the
: net - I have been assigned a static IP from my ISP.

: My box connects to my ISP correctly, but default route is not set - in
: /var/log/messages I get:

: not replacing existing default route to eth0

: I suspect I have to muck with the routing table.  Is this correct?

Yep.

Can anyone tell me how to do so?

Maybe.  You have a default route set to your home LAN in one of the
boot-up files.  You need to remove it and use a network specific route
which is likely already configured.  The boot files vary with the
distribution though, here it's /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 .

You already have the pppd defaultroute option, and once the default route
to the LAN is gone pppd will set the default route to the Internet through
the PPP interface.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Governments should be changed like diapers - often and for the

------------------------------

From: "David Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: must change routing tables
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:10:39 GMT

I don't get this.. My network consists of several computers and one gateway
which is running RedHat 5.2, has a modem and an ethernet card.  It calls my
ISP with PPP and serves as a gateway.
        Well, my workstation is also RedHat linux.. It used to be 5.2 and I
recently upgraded to 6.0.  The problem is that when my server is not
on-line with my ISP my workstation doesn't want to do any networking at all
other than simple telnet and ping.  If I type this:

route del default

Then suddenly networking on the internal network is fine (192.168.0.xxx
computers).  Of course, then when I put my server back online with my ISP
again, my workstation doesn't want to find anything on the internet until I
type:

route add default gw 192.168.0.10 (IP address of my gateway server)

The weird thing is that I never had this trouble with RedHat 5.2.  With the
older version I could access anything on the local network at any time
regardless of whether my server was connected to the ISP or not.  If I
tried to access something on the internet it would just sit there and wait
until I activated PPP on my server, then it would connect.. so it was a no
hassle thing.. now I am constantly having to delete and reinstate my
default gateway depending on whether or not my gateway system is
connected.. I hope this makes sense.. maybe somebody can tell me what to
do?
--DavidM.

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HUGE wait when telnetting, ftping, etc to my linux box
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:09:43 -0700

Hello,

Try adding your win98 machine's Ip address to the /etc/hosts file on Linux
box.

Good luck!

news:5Xa83.155$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Smithson)
Subject: How to reassign IRQs?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:43:11 GMT

hi everyone,

Ok, I've made a little bit of progress in my quest
to get linux, my modem, and Earthlink to get
along.  I'm to the point where I am able to get
a stable connection by using minicom.  But, before
doing that, every time I log in I have to reset the
IRQ from IRQ 4 to IRQ 5, i.e. "setserial /dev/modem
IRQ 5".  This works, but as I said only for one session.
How do I make this permanent?

Thanks,

Trevor Smithson

------------------------------

From: Janet Jen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rexecd on RedHat
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:09:59 -0700

==============5AAD62FD8887C7A86078C34E

Erhard,
  Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful.
  Apparently, rexec does not present on my system. Where do you get it
from?

  Janet

> yes, we use it on redhat 5.1 and 5.2
> We have placed rexecd  in the directory /local/bin.
> Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf, uncomment the exec line and set as:
>
> exec    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /local/bin/rexecd
>
> and then relaunch inetd with:  `killall -HUP inetd`

Janet Jen                       telnet:         447-3251
IASD                            phone:          +1 (408) 447-3251
Hewlett-Packard Company         fax:            +1 (408) 447-2264
19420 Homestead Road            email:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cupertino, CA 95014, USA        mail stop:      43LM

==============5AAD62FD8887C7A86078C34E

<HTML>
Erhard,
<BR>&nbsp; Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful.
<BR>&nbsp; Apparently, rexec does not present on my system. Where do you
get it from?
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp; Janet
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;
<P>yes, we use it on redhat 5.1 and 5.2
<BR>We have placed rexecd&nbsp; in the directory /local/bin.
<BR>Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf, uncomment the exec line and set as:
<P>exec&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; stream&nbsp; tcp&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; nowait&nbsp;
root&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /usr/sbin/tcpd
<BR>/local/bin/rexecd
<P>and then relaunch inetd with:&nbsp; `killall -HUP inetd`</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
Janet
Jen&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 telnet:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 447-3251
IASD&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 phone:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +1 (408) 447-3251
Hewlett-Packard Company&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +1 (408)
447-2264
19420 Homestead Road&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
email:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cupertino, CA 95014, USA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mail
stop:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 43LM</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: pl198 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 Networking Problem
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:15:08 +0100

G Jim Jones wrote:

> I have just installed SuSE linux 6.1 and it will not let me "see" the network.
> I have a SMC Ultra card that I know is set up because I get a reading from it
> when I use ifconfig.  I can also ping that address.
>
> However, If I ping out of the box to the network, it just sort of hangs.  When I
> CTRL-C the process i get a reading of 100% packet loss.

I have had the same problem - on one machine an smc-ultra works fine, and on another
the same problem as above appears (SuSE linux 6.1 again)

------------------------------

From: Ghost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NFS Block size for Netgear FA310TX?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:01:54 -0700

What are good rsize,wsize rates for the Netgear FA310TX
100 Mb cards?  I have a Kingston 100 Mb hub with all the
same Netgear ethernet cards and I just want to get a nice
rate of data transfer with little problems.  I don't know much
more about ethernet beyond setting up the cards and network
so any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: netbios over ip-masquerading
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:04:29 +0200

You mix up a few things here.
IP-masq, NT Domains and  PDC's are all seperate.

They only thing that you have to do, is to supply your internet clients
with the default gateway address of your Linux box. f.i. 192.168.0.1 if
this is your Linux box's IP address. The Linux box will then forward (if ip
forwarding is enabled) those calls to f.i. 24.1.34.211 (that is your ppp
address given to you from your ISP).
Now every client will fiorwrd unkown network addresses to the Linuxbox that
wil deside to masq it and send it to the net.

LINUX AND IP-MASQ RULES

Raymond

------------------------------

From: pl198 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: de305 nic
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:13:38 +0100

Hi I'm having trouble getting a de305 (EtherWorks PnP 10 I think) to
work. It's allegedly ne2000 compatible, but it doesn't seem to behave
properly.

It's a pnp card, so i've used pnpdump and set up /etc/isapnp.conf with
appropriate io & irq settings etc, and that works fine. However, trying
to load the ne module it cannot find it frequently (but i'm not too
bothered about that yet - it's a pnp conf thing). Once the module is
loaded and eth0 is set up, any network traffic at all causes klog
messages to appear complaining about collisions. ifconfig shows more
collisions than rx'd and tx'd packets together. No data seems to get
past the nic, neither does any data come in.

any help would be much appreciated. i'll try to get the exact error
messages if anybody can help

regards

Peter Liniker

------------------------------

From: "Clint Byrum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VNC over PPP?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:07:50 -0700

<snip>
>Then one can
>work as if one was right at the host itself (it is a kind of grafical
>telnet, if you wish).

telnet and X use TCP/IP, does VNC?

>Well, I would like to use this kind of connection over  PPP. On the
>client, one needs to choose "host:display", for example "foomachine:1"
>and one needs a password too. But how can I tell VNC to go over PPP.

If VNC uses TCP/IP, there really is no telling it to go over PPP... your
system should be using the PPP Dialup Adapter as its network interface, and
therefore, send everything TCP/IP out over it.

------------------------------

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2 IP Masquerading
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:11:05 +0200

WHo cares what ip address those packets get. But they get they ip address
of the device that you tell ipchains to masq on.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wienux)
Crossposted-To: intel.network.hubs_switches_routers,comp.networks
Subject: Re: HUB-Question !
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:23:23 GMT

What you also can do is buy a Switch.
It is more expensive but it is faster.

But then again.... if you only use about 2 maybe 3 pc's at a time ut
is almost useless.

WIENUX

------------------------------

From: "John Zbesko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NETWORK NIGHTMARE
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:43:06 GMT

I had a similar problem- turned out my ISP uses a NT server, so it uses CHAP
authentication. KPPD is better than RedHat 5.2 network configurator. Again,
it is suggested you read the HOWTO's. I did and eventually manually edited a
chap-secret file.

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: /dev/ttyp# & /dev/pts permissions
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:51:43 +0200

Hi Dardo,

you wrote:
> Recently there was a post to the linux-security list indicating a problem
> with permissions on the /dev/pts filesystem.  It had something to do with
> incorrect permissions on the /dev/pts directory, and the fact that the
> entries were being created as "world-writeable", such that another logged in
> user could potentially flood a tty with garbage (i.e. cat /dev/urandom >
> /dev/pts/0).  This was very intriguing, so I went and looked into what
> permissions were being used on my box.  First I discovered that I had not

This is not an issue. Type in "mesg n" and the world-wide write rights
should disappear for the tty you are on. This does apply to /dev/pts/*
as to /dev/tty*.

> apparently doesn't support the new UNIX98 pty system.  This leads to my
> first question.  Since wterm still uses the /dev/ttyp# devices, why are
> _all_ 256 of my /dev/ttyp "world-writeable" AND "world-readable"?  If I
> change it (i.e.. chmod 600 /dev/ttyp0), the when I wterm as a normal user it
> skips this tty and will use /dev/ttyp1 (ie. it uses the first available full
> access (666) tty)...Thus, it would appear that my term is wide-open to
> anyone else on my box (fortunately, I am the only one, but I want to know
> what the heck is going on here).  When I telnet to a FreeBSD box at work,
> the /dev/ttyp# entries are correctly mode 600, so perhaps its a compile
> option or configuration setting somewhere?

The device permissions will change as soon as a user does use the
device. Programs need world-access to allocate the device and change
there rights to what they think is suitable.

Malware

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: DNS: http://10.9.9.9/page.html -> http://www.dummy.net
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:00:54 +0200

Edit your httpd.conf file there is a tag in it that tells you what name
to send back to the browser instead of the default name.

Raymond