Linux-Networking Digest #522, Volume #11         Sun, 13 Jun 99 15:14:15 EDT

Contents:
  Help With linux 6.0 Networking (Scott Buono)
  Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows? (Kwan Lowe)
  dhcpd server with a dhcpc interface ? (Wayne Veilleux)
  Re: I can´t get an ip address with DHCP. (Bert)
  Apache 1.3.6/FP Server Extensions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36 (Bert)
  PPP and USR modem ("Michel Roux")
  Samba Sorrows (jim k.)
  Re: Linux server, Win95 clients, 1 modem, PPP...a la LanBridge? (Malware)
  Re: Scriptable telnet Client (Frank da Cruz)
  Re: Telnet stopped working (Kenneth Stephen)
  Re: Compaq Presario modem and RH ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: DNS Boggle (Andy)
  PPP default route problems?? (Juan P. Ordonez)
  Re: DNS Boggle (Andy)
  Re: Help!!!  I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router (Matt)
  Re: i need to have two IP simultaneouly! (Mircea)
  Re: pppd or lan but not both?? help (synth)
  Re: OS/2 and Linux? (Thomas Waldmann)
  Re: DNS ("James Addison")
  Re: Linux & Cybercafe (David Bell)
  Help needed with modem ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: 100MB Fast Ethernet ISA ?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Nuisance messages (Alec Marsh)

From: Scott Buono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help With linux 6.0 Networking
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:11:38 -0400

I have everything I need installed (NIC card, Linux 6.0(redhat), Gnome)
but im not shure of how to have it so i can browse my Windows 98 network
from my Linux box.  I very new to this, but Im very experienced with
Win98.
Also, I use a internet shareing program in Windows 98, in order to set
up net access on a Win98 machine, I just have to go to the properties of
my NIC card's TCP/IP networking properties in the network neighborhood,
and set Gateway to 192.168.0.1(host computers IP), Enable DNS, and put
any name I want in the Host field, and I can specify an IP address or
have one obtained automatically....how do i set this up on
X-Windows??????

        Scott Buono
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:15:57 -0400

Jon Finanger wrote:

> Hi!
> According to my slightly provocative subject :) i wonder if the romours talk
> true - i've read it in some computer magazines.
>
> So whats the main advandages of linux compared to windows? (I'm a kind of
> new to this :)

1) Reliability -- Linux boxes don't go down.  In four years of running
Linux I've NEVER had a kernel panic on a production system. Compare this
to the, on average, monthly BSODs on my NT 4.0 server (both the Linux
Apache and NT IIS servers are running on PII/266 boxes, 128M RAM, 5.7
Gig IDE, 5 Gig SCSI).

2) Performance -- The magazine articles you mentioned are probably
referring to the Mindcraft study.  There were problems with the
credibility of study that have been documented elsewhere.  Admittedly,
the test did show some shortcomings with the old Linux kernel on
high-middle PC hardware.  However, on machines that I use (one to two
processor, PII/400, 128-256M RAM average), Linux blasts NT away for file
and web serving. The newest Linux kernel addresses the problems with the
version in the study.

3) Availability of software -- This is usually opposite to what Windows
folks might say.  However, I use mostly development, graphics and
mathematical software. The cost of these packages would be prohibitive
on other platforms. The shortcoming is that there are relatively few
production applications (like Office, contact and project managers,
etc).

4) Price -- Buy one copy of any Linux distro and I can install it on as
many machines as I choose. When someone purchases a machine, I burn a CD
for them without paying another nickel (or $600 as the case may be) for
the OS license.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Veilleux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dhcpd server with a dhcpc interface ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:19:03 -0400

Hi:

I have a multi-homed linux box with four Ethernet cards. One interface
is
connected to the Internet by a cable-modem which I need to use dhcpcd to
get my IP address. I need also to run a dhcpd server on the same Linux
box
for some PC on the others networks. When I run the dhcpd server, it says
that I have an dhcp-client interface and that it cannot load the daemon.

Is there a way to use a dhcpd server on a system that have one
dhcp-client
interface ?

Thanks for any help.
--
=================== Linuxez=vous les uns les autres ====================
Wayne Veilleux ing.   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +1 514 943-0104

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bert)
Subject: Re: I can´t get an ip address with DHCP.
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:38:07 -0700

In article <RAA73.49$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> Hi! I´m having trouble getting an ip address using DHCP. I´m running RedHat
> 5.2, kernel 2.2.9 with a cable modem. I´ve managed to get an ip address in
> some rare cases, but even then I can´t connect to my ISP server. I`ve read
> the DHCP mini-HOWTO and tried out the information given there but it won´t
> work. I´ve also upgraded dhcpcd to 1.3.16. Is there anyone that knows what I
> might be missing?

After upgrading RH5.2 2.0.36 to 2.2.8 I was unable to get any connection
to my LAN or internet (except to 127.0.0.1).  I tried for two days, gave
up and reinstalled RH5.2

Hope that helps!  :)

Rudy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Apache 1.3.6/FP Server Extensions
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:35:21 GMT

Are there FrontPage Server Extensions available for Apache 1.3.6? MS
site refers to them, but they don't seem to be anywhere! :(

KS

... Ambition a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bert)
Subject: Re: ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:36:03 -0700

> Marcel Lemmen wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm lookin' for the module called ip_masq_icq.o for kernel version
> > 2.0.36
>
> ICQ doesn't need a MASQ module

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

People ICQing my winnt machine behind my linux masquerading must always
choose 'send messages through server.'   Additionally, people cannot send
me files (but I can send them files).  Chatting sometimes works.   I
dont' have any firewalls set up because i dont' know how to do it. :)

I have seen ip_masq_icq files around, but none for 2.0.36.

Rudy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In article <7jqafo$m6o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

------------------------------

From: "Michel Roux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP and USR modem
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:20:03 +0200

Hi

Under SuSe Linux 6.0, I'd like to connect using PPP. The modem used is an
external US Robotics Sportster Voice FaxModem 33600. Usung either scripts or
kppp, it is dialing out OK, but after the CONNECT statement, I am receiving
garbage characters rather than the expected "login:" prompt.
The contents of the debug window is:

AT&F1
OK
ATDT0144322777
RINGING

CONNECT 28800/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS
~~}#@!}!N} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"F}*~~}#@!}!O} }8}"}&} }*} }
 }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"}/ ~~}#@!}!P} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"W
~~}#@!}!Q} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}" }=~~}#@!}!R} }8}"}&} }*} }
 }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"T
~~}#@!}!S} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"}=}&~~}#@!}!T} }8}"}&} }*}
} }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"Q#~~}#@!}!U} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"
*~~}#@!}!V} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"R8~~}#@!}!W} }8}"}&} }*} }
 }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"};1~~}#@!}!X} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&E2PE}'}"}(}"[z
~
NO CARRIER

Any idea?

Michel Roux

------------------------------

From: jim k. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba Sorrows
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:53:44 -0400

Hi folks - I'm using RH 5.1 w/ kernel 2.0.34 and samba 1.9.18p10.

I used to be able to mount a WinNT share using smbmount - but tried compiling
a new kernel and modules, and now I get a "device or resource busy" error
when I try to mount it.

The mount-point is unmounted and I can access the share through smbclient.

Any Ideas?

In addition, I have a DJ720C attached to the same machine as the share, would
anyone have a suggestion to get that working through lpd?

-Jim Kutter

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux server, Win95 clients, 1 modem, PPP...a la LanBridge?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:38:48 +0200

Hi bubba,

you wrote:
> As I understand it....you can run routed on the machine, then make that
> machines IP address as the gateway for all the machines on your network.

Running routed on such a machine is not a good idea. It will initiat
dialing regulary or drop the default-route from time to time. Since
there is only a static routing of need running any routing-daemon is
overkill.

The whole configuration can be pretty standard one. Some keywords are

- pppd
- diald
- IP-Masquerading

I don't think we need to describe the complete installation here. As
told it is pretty standard. It can be setted up with the usual
HOWTO-reading.

Malware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Subject: Re: Scriptable telnet Client
Date: 13 Jun 1999 16:10:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, brian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am looking for a Linux telnet client for which I can write scripts.
: Loops, conditions, variables, wait for, send...the works. One I used
: under 'dows was ZOC...something like that would be great. Or, if I could
: somehow write scripts for the one I have (the standard telnet for RH
: 6.0)
:
C-Kermit is a scriptable Telnet (and Rlogin) client, as well as serial
communications program.  It has loops, conditions, variables, wait for,
send, the works.  Unlike the UNIX Telnet + Expect combination, it knows the
difference between remote and local text; it offers fine-grained control
over Telnet options; it can transfer files, etc.  More info at:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck70.html

- Frank

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:12:31 -0500
From: Kenneth Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet stopped working

Denis wrote:

> My problem: I have an account at school. I connect to the school via
> modem, then I use telnet in the command line to do stuff at my
> account there. All of the sudden now, after connecting to my ISP
> (school), I can't telnet to my account there - machines can't be found.
> for example,
> typing "telnet godzilla.acpub.duke.edu" gives
> "godzilla.acpub.duke.edu: Host name lookup failure".
> same for any other machine that usually could give me telnet access to
> my account.
> Everything remains working fine in win95 - i can telnet to all
> these machines, so I assume the problem is on my Linux system (not at school).
>
> What went wrong on my Linux system? (I'm rather new to Linux)
> thanks
> denis
>
> PS. I checked DNS addresses in Win95 and LINUX. they are the same

Denis,

    It appears that you havent setup your Linux box to resolve hostnames. There
are two ways of doing this. The canonical way is to setup a DNS server, but I
would recommend that to a newbie. The other, much faster way is to set up your
/etc/hosts file.  So, for instance, this file could contain :

153.3.102.8        godzilla.acpub.duke.edu

    And thats all that you would need to do.

Regards,
Kenneth

--
There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Presario modem and RH
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:48:25 GMT

Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> I have a Compaq Presario 1611 laptop with a standard built-in compaq
> presario 56k-vsc modem set to the default M$/Compaq settings. I use
> Erols internet (don't know why when I have to wait forever for the
> network to log me in since they were bought out, another story :) )

   Compaq uses Winmodems in all the Presario line.  I use a older Megahertz
modem, and it works great.  Look for the older stuff.  It is cheaper, and
better supported.

                        Lee
--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS Boggle
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:48:14 -0500

Ok, well...
I tried   nslookup 208.15.109.1  my primary nameserver.  It still hanged.  I
can ping my name servers just fine tho.  Then I added  nameserver 198.6.1.1 to
my /etc/resolv.conf and everything worked fine.  (Ping, nslookup, and netscape)

Now I'm really confused...
    Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juan P. Ordonez)
Subject: PPP default route problems??
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:59:41 GMT

Hello

I´m trying to hook up my pc to the internet using RH5,2. (Apollo
Kernel 2.0.3-PPD 2.3.5) but I have experiencing problems, here are the
symptoms:
-I can establish a connection with the ISP succesfully
-I can ping the ISP DNS server, ping the given IP address (dynamic IP)
and the ISP remote computer
-The DNS resolver works fine, any address get translated to its IP
number.
-I cannot get  ping responses from any computer outside the ISP
machines.

According to various FAQ´s it looks like a default route
problem, somehow the my pc cannot get past the ISP servers,has anyone
experienced a similar problem? BTW my internet connection in W95 (on
the same machine, same modem, different HDD) works ok.
Any hypothesis for it?

TIA

JP

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:48:37 -0500

Ok, well...

------------------------------

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!!!  I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:11:00 GMT

 http://ipmasq.cjb.net/

matt

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i need to have two IP simultaneouly!
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:55:49 -0400

Sure you can. pppd will take care of the IP over ppp, and you can setup
as many ethernet cards as you want with ifconfig. I have right now 3
IPs: one for the dial-in internet connection, and one for each of the 2
NICs in my machine.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (synth)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: pppd or lan but not both?? help
Date: 13 Jun 1999 17:03:58 GMT

In alt.linux nlucent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   propsync <"NOSPAM propsync"@stratos.net> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> If I just have kppp on redhat 6.0 machine, everything is great.  But
>> when I reinstall linux and say yes to 'configure lan networking', I
> can
>> no longer surf the web.  It will dial but it keeps saying 'no route to
>> host' or something along those lines.  Here's my network setup.
>>
>> my localhost is 127.0.0.1
>> my ethernet card is set to ip 10.0.0.1
>> my netmask is 255.0.0.0
>> the default gateway is 10.255.255.254 (linux chose this)
>> primary nameserver is 10.0.0.1 (linux chose this)
>> my domain name is linux.box
>> my host name is toms.linux.box
>> I have no secondary or tertiary nameservers listed
>>
>> In kppp, my setup is for 2 dns addresses, 209.117.223.2 and
>> 209.117.223.3 with a dynamic ip address
>>
>> Again, if i have just dialup only, everything is ok, but as soon as i
>> add the lan stuff (im connected to a win95 box), I can not get on the
>> web.  It dials and all but the browser just sits there.  I can ping
> the
>> win 95 machine and it can ping me.
>>
>> what the heck am i doing wrong.
>> also, i use linuxconf to setup the lan.
>>

> Sounds like your route is hosed. You need to pass pppd the defaultroute
> option.

Off the top of my head, id say that your problem is that you cannot route
127.0.0.1 OR 10.0.0.1 to the outside world.  And your default gateway
is incorrect.  It should be something like 255.255.255.0 (likely for dialup)
or 254 (for two local ip addresses).

abbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Waldmann)
Subject: Re: OS/2 and Linux?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:37:59 +0200

> Anyone ever put an OS/2 verion 2 machine on a Linux server?  I'm about to.
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Just install samba on Linux and "Netbios over TCP/IP" on OS/2 and it'll
work. If not, ask again.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: "James Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:31:32 -0400

go to www.register.com - I registered my domain there, and they allow you to
use their DNS Servers.  as for IP, hostnames, etc.  you can register a
Domain Name and not use it until you're ready.  you can always go to a
website like www.freeservers.com to get them to "virtual host" your web
site.

James Addison
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:47:09 +0100
From: David Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux & Cybercafe

==============10802381FC3DD4C120D1FBD1

My partner and I run a SuSE linux based cybercafe which we set up ourselves
in West London, UK.  Our url www.rainbowcyber.co.uk/ might be worth a look
around.

We configured each terminal with three different user levels, the lowest of
these being for
the user cybernaut with password coffeeshop.   For this user we set up a twm
(tiny window manager) which has a basically just a clock and a netscape.
Once you have configged the various user levels, under SuSE Linux, (our
chosen distribution) you can switch into  graphical log-in mode and give cafe
visitors that login and p/w for their session.

When you boot up your systems each day, it will come up straight to the
log-in prompt and you can either start the terminals manually, or let
visitors log in themselves.  You could set up a higher level access (say to
KDE) under another username/password for trusted users in the same manner if
you didn't want to create an account for each user.

You need to look into the skel (userlevel template) files for more info on
this.

regards, David
Rainbow Cyber Services

MicroNg wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm thinking of putting linux as the surf engine (with program like
> netscape communicator for linux)
> however, how to limit the access that so the user can only access the
> browser but NOT any other
> program ? ( to access other program, for eg for the webmaster to shutdown
> the computer, an passcode
> is required).
>
> any idea ?
>
> --
> NO UCE
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==============10802381FC3DD4C120D1FBD1

My partner and I run a SuSE linux based cybercafe which we set up ourselves
in West London, UK.&nbsp; Our url <a
href="http://www.rainbowcyber.co.uk/">www.rainbowcyber.co.uk/</a>
might be worth a look around.
of these being for
we set up a twm (tiny window manager) which has a basically just a clock
and a netscape.&nbsp; Once you have configged the various user levels,
under SuSE Linux, (our chosen distribution) you can switch into&nbsp; graphical
log-in mode and give cafe visitors that login and p/w for their session.
the log-in prompt and you can either start the terminals manually, or let
visitors log in themselves.&nbsp; You could set up a higher level access
(say to KDE) under another username/password for trusted users in the same
manner if you didn't want to create an account for each user.
on this.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help needed with modem
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:57:25 +0100

Hi,
I have just installed suse linux v6.1 on my pc and am unable to make linux
see my my internal isa pnp modem. Using a ms-dos pnp setup utility, I set
the modem to it's default settings of port 2e8, irq 10 but linux detects the
modem as being at 2e8, irq 3 which is incorrect. Trying to dial then returns
modem busy error. My modem only supports irq settings of 9,10,11 and 12.
Is there any way to correct detection of modem. I use Loadlin to boot linux
and can add any necessary kernel boot commands if somebody can email the
correct settings to me. I have tested the dialer using a borrowed external
modem and this is working, just need to configure internal modem irq
correctly. This is not a winmodem as it works with Arachne dos web browser
when windoze is not running if I use the dos isapnp utility I have.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nigel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 100MB Fast Ethernet ISA ??
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:26:20 GMT

I decided to provide some more info for the ping problem, in case anyone
needs it.  The ping of 0.5-7ms then ~1000ms was from the laptop @
192.168.1.3.  Coming from the tower @ 192.168.1.1 to the laptop, on the
other hand, begets the following:

Output from 'ifconfig':

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:3B:B4:0B
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:5 Base address:0xd000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:206.158.252.157  P-t-P:206.158.252.129
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

sl0       Link encap:Serial Line IP
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  P-t-P:192.168.1.254
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

*****

Output from 'route':

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.254   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
sl0
192.168.1.254   *               255.255.255.255 UH    1      0        0
sl0
206.158.252.129 *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
206.158.252.129 *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
default         *               0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0
ppp0
default         *               0.0.0.0         U     1      0        0
sl0

*****

Output from 'ping -c 10 192.168.1.3'

PING 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.3): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=2834.4 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1835.8 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=7835.9 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=6835.6 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=5836.2 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=4836.4 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=3836.5 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=2836.2 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=1836.8 ms

--- 192.168.1.3 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 836.0/3935.9/7835.9 ms

*****

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ISA isn't anywhere near fast enough to keep up with 100Mb ethernet.
3Com
> made a ISA 100Mb card when 100Mb first came out, but I'm pretty sure
they've
> discontinued it since.  They made it purely to allow ISA machines to
> participate in 100Mb networks (although the performance was barely
more than
> 10Mb cards).  The introduction of switches and switching hubs made
such
> cards unnecessary.  The cards were pretty expensive anyway.
>
> But before you consider 10Mb to be too limiting, you might want to
consider
> that 10Mb is over a Megabyte per second and that 100Mb is faster than
most
> modern hard drives.  Are you really using that bandwidth for your
little
> home network?  Also, if you ever get a cable modem or ADSL connection,
> they all use 10Mb ethernet.
>
> The preferred way to connect them nowadays would be a switching hub.
If you
> want the cheapest route, that would be to put a second NIC in your
main
> machine, hook it up to a 10Mb hub and set your main machine up as
router.
> You can get a 5 port 10Mb hub for under $20 if you shop around.
>
> I can't comment on the ping problem, but .5ms would be the typical
ping time
> for 10Mb ethernet.  100Mb ethernet should theoretically be less than
.1ms,
> In actual practice, you'll be CPU/bus bound to something under .2ms.

Thanks for your time,

Monte Milanuk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Alec Marsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nuisance messages
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:09:01 -0500

Every single time PPP is started, I get this:

Jun 12 22:08:47 diablo modprobe: can't locate module ppp0
Jun 12 22:08:48 diablo kernel: registered device ppp0
Jun 12 22:08:49 diablo pppd[101]: pppd 2.3.8 started by root, uid 0

Why would modprobe be looking for ppp0 when it seems to be built into the
kernel? (What IS ppp0?)

--
..signature missing