  Re: Dual NIC help ("Andrey Smirnov")

From: Jonathan Guthrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.network
Subject: Re: Warning against Announce Communications web hosting
Date: 14 Jun 1999 02:45:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking agner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My question is now: is it possible to move the domain without
> his permission? The internic record has my name as registrant, and his
> name as administrative contact.

Oh, spare me from people who kinda-sorta know what they're doing WRT the
NIC.  As the owner of an ISP, I get notifications about bunches of
malformed domain requests come through my mailbox.  Here is what you need
to take away from this experience:

The administrative point of contact (APOC) should be YOU!  The APOC is, by
definition, the person who makes decisions about the domain like who
should host it.  (The other fellow is a sleaze if he always sets himself
up as APOC.)  At Brokersys, you would be the billing point of contact
because we don't want to get any more involved with the NIC's crappy
billing system than we have to be to maintain the domains we use ourself.
However, I understand that some places do things differently.  C'est la
vie.  The technical point of contact should be person who runs the name
servers.

Now, if you're listed as ANY of the contacts, you can request that the
domain be moved.  In fact, you should talk to your new provider about this
because they'll be able to fill out the "paperwork" for you.
Unfortunately, as someone else said, if he doesn't consent, it won't be
automatic.  Be prepared to spend some long-distance money on calls to
Virginia.
--
Jonathan Guthrie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Guthrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple IP accounts
Date: 14 Jun 1999 02:23:07 GMT

Alfredo Todini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have two PPP dialup accounts. How should I set up the /etc/resolv.conf
> file to handle multiple accounts? (They have different domains).
> Thank you.

Install named on your computer and set your resolver to localhost.  Then,
it doesn't matter what name servers are provided by either ISP.

From: Devlyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: KPPP Works, IFUP Doesn't
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:58:25 -0700

Greetings,

I'm running Linux Mandrake 6.0, trying to build a router that dials up
via ISDN to an ISP.  I was able to make it go on the first try with KPPP
- including PAP authentication and multilink.

I'm having a hard time getting it to work with IFUP, though.  It just
won't authenticate using PAP.  I've read the PPP-HOWTO and the "How to
Connect to an ISP" HOWTO and a pile of other stuff.  Since KPPP is using
the same pppd, I'm assuming that the problem is with what's being fed to
pppd (scripts?)

I need to be able to setup dial-on-demand.  Is there a way to do that
with KPPP or is there a way to access the KPPP script from the shell to
establish the connection?  Or?

Dev
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ron Cordell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual NIC help
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:47:52 -0400

Hello,

I have a 2.0.36 kernel (RH5.2) and 2 ethernet cards. One is set to
192.168.1.1, the other to 209.186.14.64.  The route table shows entries for
both cards and the default gateway as 209.186.14.1 (the gateway on the
internet part of the net).

I can ping both IP addresses from the machine.  I can ping all internal
network addresses of 192.168.1.x, but I can't ping an address like
209.186.14.1, or 209.186.12.2 (the DNS). Shouldn't I be able to ping these
addresses if the route information is set correctly? The mask for both cards
is set to 255.255.255.0.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Ron Cordell

------------------------------

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot get networking to work with Caldera 2.2
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:09:24 -0400

Mike Roda wrote:

> I am trying to setup networking between a linux laptop and my linux
> desktop.  Everything was working fine until I installed Caldera
> Openlinux 2.2 on my desktop system.  Now I'm getting some strange
> behavior on that box.

I installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 last weekend (June 4) without incident.
I was connected to my ISP and receiving email that same day.  It took me a
few days to figure out how to be able to send mail out through my ISP, but
that was solved by reading a couple HOW-TOs.

Did you install Linux over an existing previous version or was it a clean
install?  The 3c509 card apparently has a few tricks according to some
postings here, so I will defer that matter to someone else or you can
browse through the postings yourself and refer to the HOW-TOs and FAQs.

------------------------------

From: Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No lp after booting!
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:04:33 -0400

Hi, after I boot I don't see "lp1 at 0x0378" in my /var/log/message.
I do see it after I do for example "ls >/dev/lp1". Moreover, "cat
/proc/devices" doesn't show "6 lp", nor does lsmod show lp module.
Does it mean I have to install my printer? If yes, how? I don't see this
info in Printing-HOWTO. I know my HP697C does print from Linux with
 cdj550 because I already printed *.ps files after using printtool
and setting everything there - I thought it was installing a printer,
apperantly I was wrong or not? Please help me understand. (tunelp is
not available in my RH5.1).
Thanks.
Denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Subject: Frontpage server extensions
Date: 14 Jun 1999 04:00:17 GMT

I need to install the frontpage server extensions to my apache server on my
RH5.2 system.  Which extensions do I need and how do install them?

=========================
David Bell

Please don't email me just reply on the board.

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source code
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:05:02 -0700

richard wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>I'm a newbie in networking so i'm looking for C sourcecode on TCP/IP.
>Any tutorials or docs on TCP/IP programming are welcome
>thanks in advance

Grab the Linux kernel source from one of the kernel.org mirrors and install
it if you don't already have the source code installed, then wander around
under /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDP denied in Starcraft
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:41:01 GMT

Check http://doncaster.on.ca/~lnevo/masq/

It still talks in ipfwadm terms, but the principles should help you get
started.

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
If necessary, however, I can be contacted thru geegs (a) linuxstart DOT com

sachiel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<pJW83.25725$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 100MB Fast Ethernet ISA ??
Date: 14 Jun 1999 00:35:59 GMT

> that 10Mb is over a Megabyte per second and that 100Mb is faster than most
> modern hard drives.

most modern HD's are actually in the range of 10-25 MB/s; even the slow
inner tracks of most recent-generation drives (say, 4GB/platter or better)
is faster than 100bT.  note that this applies to UDMA drives, not just
10K rpm SCSI's...

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stupid vnc question
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:51:32 GMT

Answer 1:  Unless you are running a network with 100bps ethernet cards, the
only way to make it sharp or responsive as a terminal is to use the 8-bit only
display option on the viewer.
Answer 2:  Strange, it's never happened to me.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Try and figure this one out (DNS problem)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:32:00 -0400

Friday everything worked fine.

Saturday I logged into my dial up account, and I got messages from
Netscape and my IRC client that the servers (all servers with a name)
weren't in the DNS.

So I started pinging them.  Sure enough, ping finds them.  Then when I
stick the IP addresses from ping into Netscape, and my IRC client, I can
get where I want to go.

What happened?  Why can ping look up IPs, but not my other apps?

I have a resolv.conf that looks like:

domain inreach.com
nameserver 209.142.0.2
nameserver

It always looks like that, even when I'm not on my ppp connection.  My
ppp script attempts to swap this resolv.conf with a dummy one suitable
for when I am not connected, but it doesn't work and this is my
resolv.conf all the time.

It has never been a problem before.

The only thing strange I did (not even as root) lately was move some
.pdf files from /tmp to one of my directories, in order to capture a
.pdf that had been downloaded and viewed by acrobat.

Furthermore, I have two copies of linux on my machine.  I mirror my
entire linux installation on another partition, and I can boot into
either one.

The one I am using now is a backup from two weeks before my current
dillemma.  It is working fine, with no DNS problems.  So I know it is
not my ISP.  Also, they told me no one else is reporting DNS problems.

Please advise if you've got any ideas.  Thank you!

_____________________________
Christopher R. Carlen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My OS is Linux 2.0.29

------------------------------

From: Larry Irons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new house wiring
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:02:44 GMT

"Gregory D. Horne" wrote:

> blah wrote:
>
> > I am in the process of building a house.  I just wanted some suggestions on
> > the best way to wire for the future.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> If you can afford the expenditure fibre optic wiring thoroughout your house
> with RJ-45 cabling from the wall-mounted DVOs to the network-connected
> devices.  There is also the option of running additional electrical wiring and
> using it as the transmission medium and then interfacing the network-connected
> devices to the wiring outlets.  Personally, I have would opt for fibre optic
> primarily for performance and resistance to interference.  Also, fibre allows
> your network traffic to remain more secure from electronic eavesdropping, if
> that is a concern to you.
>
> Gregory D. Horne
> Information Technology Architect
> The Network Laboratorium (NetLab)
> Ottawa  ON
> Canada

Fiber would be nice, but it is expensive to install correctly and it
takes a very good technician. Otherwise I would recommend CAT 5. I would
put at least two network connections in each bedroom, study, family
room, etc. that you may have computers in. You can also use CAT 5 for
telephone connections. I would decide on the location of the "wiring
closet" and plan to run all cables to that place for connecting to a
network hub. Think about where you will bring DSL or cable modem to that
point for future internet connectivity. You will need a place to mount
the hubs and the patch panel in that area also.

I wired my home after I bought it. My home was built in the late 1970s
but it was a show home office and had lots of telephone wiring to the
house and throughout. It was pretty easy to convert those wires to
network connections.

Have fun.

Larry

--
Larry Irons
A Direct Descendant of William the Conqueror, Charlemagne, Clovis,

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Ruberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.appletalk
Subject: Rules of thumb for posting (Was: afpfs can be found here...)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:33:23 +0200

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Bjorn,
>
> First, ask if I know about what you want to tell me off about!  If I say I
> know it, then tell me I've ignored it!  Bottomline, teach someone first and
> make sure they understand before you jump all over them.  BTW, is this
> better? In the spirit of which I appraoch people, thanks for letting me know
> that I was doing that.  I've since changed my preferences to text.

Yes, this is much better. I guess I approached this the wrong way, but
the two things I reacted to were these:

1. Posting in HTML makes it almost impossible for people with a
text-only news reader to read the postings. In the Linux community a lot
of people swear to pine and emacs etc for reading news, and quite a few
automagically ignore HTML messages so that your original message would
never reach those. That way, a posting would never get replies from
these people, who might have the answer to the questions that were
originally posted.

2. Attaching a binary file to the posting; Personally I have no problem
with that as I am now connected to a LAN, but when trying to read news
connected through a modem, large attachments virtually killed the
transfers. And there are still a lot of modem/ISDN users in the world.
The rule of thumb is that binaries should never be posted, unless in
dedicated newsgroups (usually something with .binaries in the NG name)
so that people know what they might end up downloading. Instead, include
a URL to where the file is to be found, so that those who want this file
might download it themselves.

You are completely right in pointing out the proper way of correcting
other people, and I stand corrected :-) However, due to the content of
your original posting you did seem to be above the newbie levels, and
therefore should know how to post messages correctly.

I hope this was a better way of approaching this issue, and that we both
have learned something :-)

 - b j o r n -

--
Bjørn Ruberg / http://traktor.nlh.no/beorn

Remove the .no_spam for my email address

"The more you scream the less you hear"    * f i s h *

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Guthrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Passive ISDN card in the USA
Date: 14 Jun 1999 03:37:08 GMT

Michael L. Coburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     How can I make passive isdn card like a teles 16.3c card work w
> Linux in the USA.

Sorry, can't help you.

>  I am begining to suspect that the protocol used by the HiSax
> driver is just not appreciated by GTE or other american telephones.

I think you mean "understood" rather than "appreciated" and "telephone
companies" rather than "telephones."

Most of the switches being installed understand the NI-1 protocol.  If the
hisax driver won't do NI-1, it likely won't work.

> I am set up for a "U" interface.  Also called ISDN 1, and probably
> called aother things.

You're confused.  The "U" interface has to do with the physical connection
to the PSTN.  Inside your TA is a device called an NT1.  That NT1 provides
something (and I'm going from memory here so please forgive the errors)
called a T interface. Everywhere outside of the USA, the NT1 is provided
by the telephone company.  That means that the CPE (Customer Premise
Equipment) uses the T interface rather than the U interface.

This is actually a better way of doing things because the T bus is a
multidrop bus meaning that you can connect multiple devices to it.
However, in the USA, they don't do things this way and built-in NT1's are
the norm.

> Referred to as an IOC = U.  It involves two spid's which are two B
> channel phone numbers and, I assume, a D channel.

You're still confused.  A SPID (Service Profile IDentifier) is NOT a
telephone number and, although it is usually derived from the phone
number---referred to as the "directory number"--it doesn't necessarily
have anything to do with a telephone number.  (In fact the same phone
number can have multiple SPIDs which is kind of pointless in the USA
because we use equipment with U-interfaces.)  One SPID and one DN is
assigned to each B (for "Bearer") channel, but the SPIDs are NOT
B-channels.

The D-channel will be there unless the line is unswitched.  The D-channel
carries all the information needed to interact with the PSTN.
Information like "you've got a call coming in to spid xxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx"
and "I want to call number xxx-xxx-xxx" are transmitted over the
D-channel.  You can also use the D-channel for sending X.25 data, but
that's not used much where I am.

> The last 4 digits of the spids are 0101 which define
> the switch type I'm connecting to.

Oh, boy, are you confused.  The last four digits of the SPID is supposed
to indicate which particular device the call is routed to.  I have been
told that you cannot tell the switch type from the last four digits of the
SPID and I believe that.

> If I were to get GTE to change the interface, what would I ask for???

You might be able to get them to change the protocol, but don't count on
it.  Concentrate instead on configuring your own equipment.
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if the Linux driver supports any of
the protocols available in the US.

You need to know the protocol type (often called the "switch type") the
directory numbers and the SPIDs.  Other than that, there isn't anything to
setting up ISDN.

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual NIC help
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:10:25 -0700

Hello,

Ping normally is a good test of connectivity, but some network admins
disable ping of external devices due to attacks from Internet.

Try using traceroute or, for your DNS server, try using nslookup after
putting the server's IP in /etc/resolv.conf.

Good luck!