Linux-Networking Digest #553, Volume #11         Wed, 16 Jun 99 09:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  Networking DSL? ("Adam Dorenter")
  Re: isdn login (David Goldstein)
  ipchains & net2phone ("Rajesh Khator")
  Re: Netscape / proxy q (John Thompson)
  Re: Networking DSL? (Dang H. Nguyen)
  Re: How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: getting DHCP client to work (Lucas)
  ipportfw with kernel 2.0.36 ("Carl Filpo")
  Re: telneting into Linux from nt ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: in.ftpd : login failed (peter)
  linux proxy? (Chris)
  Re: The sendmail command takes 60 seconds to finish ?????????? (Mathias Koerber)
  Re: Redhat 5.2 NFS Install Fails With DHCP ("Setzer")
  Re: Help with Win95 net printer via SMB ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: diald still dials every time (Hartmann Schaffer)
  sendmail configuration (Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChringer?=)
  Re: Firewall/Proxy Server (Eric)
  automatisches Login mit NET.EXE ?? (Ingo Ciechowski)
  Re: linux proxy? ("Anders Gulden Olstad")
  Re: Long delays during service requests + where is a POP server?? ("Cowles, Steve")
  Re: smbclient works, smbmount does not (Ajit Krishnan)
  Re: DNS - strange behavior (Eric LEMAITRE)
  FTP installing RH6 via LAN fails. Why? (Martin Filtenborg)
  Re: PPP and looped back serial line (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Linux - Win98 via crossover (Hyunsoo Min)

From: "Adam Dorenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,microsoft.public.win95.networking,alt.unix.wizards,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Networking DSL?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:25:40 -0400

  Anybody in hear every have any experience in sharing a DSL connection out
over a peer to peer 100mb in-home network? I'm looking to get one DSL line
for my home and be able to share it out to three different machines for
simulatenous operation.  I'd like to be able to do it via software, rather
then having to buy expensive routers (that is, if possible of course).

  Any help/info appreciated, email replys prefered.

- Adam

------------------------------

From: David Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: isdn login
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:03:29 +0200

Wilfred van Kilsdonk wrote:

> I setup my linux  (suse 6.1) for isdn but how to connect??

  Assuming that you have set it up using YAST and recompiled the kernel
for ISDN support, all you need to do is type the following in a bash
terminal:  isdnctrl dial ippp0.  To hang up, type: isdnctrl hangup
ippp0.  The easiest way, by far, is to use kIsdn.  It is a really great
program and will have you up and running in no time.  You need to know
the IP adress for the DNS that your ISP uses and what authentication
sheme it is using--usually PAP.

David

------------------------------

From: "Rajesh Khator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipchains & net2phone
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:06:07 +0530

how to configure ipchains to allow net2phone to work through

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Netscape / proxy q
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:16:10 -0600

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

> Stefo D. Stojanovski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:
> >
> > > Could one of you please tell me where the hell one sets proxy settings
> > > in Netscape (or for Linux in general) when the Linux box is behind
> > > a proxy/firewall/gateway?????
> > >

> > Carl,
> >     To configure Proxy settings for Netscape, just look in the Preferences
> under the
> > EDIT menu.  Then there should be an ADVANCED, Proxy settings.  You can
> configure
> > Netscape to use the proxy server from there.
> >
> > steve
> >

> No joy ... I can't find squat about proxy settings under
> Edit/Preferences/Advanced
>
> Any other ideas?

What version of Netscape are you using?  With all the v4.x
releases I've seen, the "Edit...Preferences...Advanced"
selection gives at least two sub-options: "Cache" and
"Proxies."  Selecting "Proxies" allows you to configure
Netscape to use a proxy server.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dang H. Nguyen)
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Networking DSL?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:06:42 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:25:40 -0400, "Adam Dorenter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Anybody in hear every have any experience in sharing a DSL connection out
>over a peer to peer 100mb in-home network? I'm looking to get one DSL line
>for my home and be able to share it out to three different machines for
>simulatenous operation.  I'd like to be able to do it via software, rather
>then having to buy expensive routers (that is, if possible of course).
>
>  Any help/info appreciated, email replys prefered.
>
>- Adam

boy you sure cross posted to a lot of groups. from
comp.os.linux.networking.
yes dsl work with ip masq. you have to do a little more setting up if
your isp insists on dhcp method of getting an ip address. otherwise if
you get a static ip, setting up ip masq is a snap.
recompile kernel, add second nic, add route, add ipfwadm or ipchains
depending on your kernel and that's it.

read ip masq howto, net3 howto, net2 howto, ethernet howto.
once you're all done and it still doesn't work then come back with
questions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:56:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacob Jonsson) writes:

>        Hi

>My setup:

>        Linux box (LB):
>        A Redhat 6.0 box connected to a windows network through
>        device eth0, running samba, is visible for other Win boxes
>        on the network. This machines eth1 device is connected to:

>        NT box (NTB):
>        An NT 4.0 SP 5 box. This is connected to the LB and is given
>        a static ip from that machine which works fine in every aspect.
>        I have had it working by connecting it directly to the net,
>        but I lost connection when positioning it "behind" the LB.

OK. You do have a NT box connected to the Internet, and want to
"see" the internal Windows network.

[...]

>        How do I connect NTB to the NT network?

Samba. With this kind of setup, you'll need to run SAMBA
with "encrypt passwords = yes" , and you'll need to create
a smbpasswd file (see manpages for details).

>        Should both my interfaces (eth1 eth0) be in the interfaces
>        parameter in smb.conf?

Yes, otherwise it won't work.

>What netmasks should be used?

Depends from your IP settings. Usually you'll need 255.255.255.0,
but if you're using a different IP range and/or subnets, then this
may or may not work.

Your LB must be setup as WINS server for this task. otherwise
NetBIOS_name->IP translation will not work.

>        Does it matter if eth0 is in promiscouos mode or not?

No. Your NICs should _not_ be in promiscouos mode unless you
do need the output for debugging purposes. This is a security
risk.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: getting DHCP client to work
Date: 16 Jun 1999 11:30:46 GMT

Dann Church wrote:
> but never config'd the interface with an IP.  What I ended up having to
do was
> to recompile a new kernel (2.2.5) and install dhcpcd.3-17.  It has worked
> flawlessly since

Thanks for the suggestion, for me it was the same !

Happy days.

Lucas

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Carl Filpo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipportfw with kernel 2.0.36
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:37:28 +0800

I seem to be missing something.

I have debian linux 2.1 SLINK with kernel 2.0.36 and am trying to setup
ipportfw

So far I have:

    - copied the file subs-patch-1.37.gz to my /usr/src/linux directory.
    - applied the patch with:  zcat subs-patch-1.37.gz  |  patch -p1
    - run make config

This is where my problem lies - I can't see the
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW option.

It doesn't show up when I do a make config.

I realize I must be missing a step here.

--
Carl Filpo
Computer Network Consultant

Carl Filpo   BSc(Curtin)
Computer Network Consultant

C&M Computer Solutions
26 Russell St
MORLEY  WA   6062

Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:  +61 08 9375 1144
Fax:      +61 08 9375 1141
Mobile:   0407 396 316

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: telneting into Linux from nt
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 05:57:34 GMT

In article <7k72vi$8ff$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for all the mail to fix the tulip driver.
>
> I have another Q, I had Telnet working on the nt machine for some time
> and I could telnet into the linux box. But I changed something and now
> the telnet does not work. I do not know if it is a problem on the nt
box
> or the linux box. Could somebody tell me what/where I should be
looking
> to fix this problem
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Alex...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

look for the following:
1st /etc/hosts.allow
2nd is telnetd started ( can you telnet from linux into linux, like
telnet localhost )
3rd look in var/log/messages a/o warnings for more details

what exactly happens when you telnet <name_of_linuxbox> ? any messages
like 'connection refused by peer' or something?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Subject: Re: in.ftpd : login failed
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:57:02 GMT

In article <01beb78d$140e3620$0101a8c0@george>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> What about /etc/ftpaccess????

from ftpd:

       If the -a option is specified, the use of the ftpaccess(5)
configuration file is enabled.

       If  the  -A  option  is  specified,  use  of the ftpaccess(5)
configuration file is disabled. This is the
       default.

so therefore my /etc/ftpaccess dont affect me, cause my line in
inetd.conf is:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l

I also tried to add the -A explizitely (and didnt forget to restart
inetd) and also could not login as USER.

peter

=================
pilsl@
ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux proxy?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:20:02 GMT

what is a good linux proxy server program?

------------------------------

From: Mathias Koerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: The sendmail command takes 60 seconds to finish ??????????
Date: 16 Jun 1999 05:57:00 GMT

In comp.mail.sendmail [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> The last couple of weeks the sendmail command takes exactly 60
: seconds to
:> finish. Can anybody tell me what te reason could be ?
:> Command: sendmail [EMAIL PROTECTED] <file

: Hi louis
: Do you use DNS ?
: I know that the timeout for a DNS lookup when the DNS server is
: unavailable is exact 60 seconds.
: So check your /etc/resolv.conf file and see if your DNS server is valid.
: You can also create a /etc/netsvc.conf file to change the hostname
: lookup order like: hosts = local,bind
: Brenzef

More likely, the receiving server (tip.nl) is not able to look up the reverse DNS
for his server, and waits until that query times out.
I would check whether your reverse DNS (PTR records) is ok, and
the configured nameservers are actually providing reverse DNS service...

--
Mathias Koerber   | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SingNet NOC       | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Setzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 NFS Install Fails With DHCP
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:51:07 -0400

I set up a RH 5.2 machine to work as an email server on a mixed Novell and
NT server network.  It configured fine on my two node WIN95 network at home,
but once jacked in to the NT network where the DHCP service was active I
could not even ping known network addresses.

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

BACKUPS?  Ah don' **NEED** no stinkn' backups.

Dan Setzer    Baltimore  Maryland  USA
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 The DHCP server is

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with Win95 net printer via SMB
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:07:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I set up a raw printer and am sharing it out with samba.  I can see
the
> printer in net neighborhood but when I try to print it says that the
> printer path is invalid.  What is going on?
>
> -Peter

it would probably help if you sent your smb.conf - only the part for the
printer.

my GUESS would be that you set up a spool-path that is not existent or
not writable for whoever wants to print.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:06:24 GMT

Michel Roux ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: BUT kppp works only when I'm logged as root.
: When logged as user, it dials out, receives the CONNECT statement, and then
: I get the message:
:         "pppd daemon died unexpectedly"

I had the same problem, I copied the kppprc file from root to the users
account and it started working all of the sudden.

Mysterious.

--
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
 --Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: diald still dials every time
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:06:54 GMT

In article <7k3a6h$sqb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Paulo Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I already was read some messages in this forum about the diald and the
> dials "problem" (it isn't properly a problem...).
>
> I have the same problem and I don't know how can I find the solution.
>
> I already test without named, smb and sendmail and with the net cable
> disconected but diald still dials every time.
>
> I read that I can filter some net messages to solve the problem, but I
> don't know how (I'm new in linux). How can I know what message I need
> to filter and where I'll put these filters?

I noticed that on a system I checked out the problem was greatly reduced
when I put all NETBIOS seervers into Samba's and the NT server's lmhost
files.  Essentially I had to start tcpdump in diald' ip-up to see what
kind of DNS requests were going out (the owner of the network, a
"network solutions provider" didn't have the faintest idea what kind of
services went over his network).

Hartmann Schaffer

------------------------------

From: Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChringer?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sendmail configuration
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:59:57 +0200

hi,

our provider sends all messages concerning domain @mydomain.com to our
static ip-address of the external interface (device ippp0)
but sendmail on my linux-box (2.2.1) is refusing this messages (sender
domain must exist).
how can I configure sendmail to accept this messages.
I dont think the right way is to include all existing domains in the
internet to my /etc/mail/access file.

I appreciate any help!
thanks
dodo.

--

                                    mit freundlichen Gruessen

                                         Stefan Pühringer

Stefan Pühringer                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
TECHSOFT RAND
Neubauzeile 113                Tel.:   +43 (0732) 378900-0
A-4034 Linz                           Fax.:   +43 (0732) 378900-99

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall/Proxy Server
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:30:50 GMT

We want to restrict the sites that our users here on location go to but
also would like to limit the sites that users who have dial in access to
the network can go to.
Chitla Sudhir wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
>         Let me know more about your requirement for a Firewall (i.e.,
Set of

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ingo Ciechowski)
Subject: automatisches Login mit NET.EXE ??
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:00:16 +0200

Hallo zusammen,

kann mir jemand sagen, ob - und vor allem wie - man die User/Paßwortabfrage
nach dem aufruf von "net start" beim DOS-Login auf einen linux samba
fileserver umgehen
kann?

Es wäre kein Sicherheitsproblem, wenn das Paßwort irgendwo im Klartext
abgelegt werden müsste...

Ingo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Anders Gulden Olstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux proxy?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:59:11 +0200

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what is a good linux proxy server program?

Try SQUID.

http://squid.nlanr.net

------------------------------

From: "Cowles, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Long delays during service requests + where is a POP server??
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:59:26 -0500

I'd be willing to bet that this is why the delay is occuring. I have seen
this many times in the past. Especially on systems that are NOT running DNS
(bind)

The /etc/hosts file on the Linux box does not contain an entry for your
Win98 box. This entry is necessary so that the Linux box can do a reverse
lookup on the client that is trying to connect via telnet/ftp services. The
resolver (on the Linux box) is trying to determine your FQDN for the IP
address that is trying to connect, but eventually times out before it allows
inetd process to invoke (spawn) the service.

Steve Cowles

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Ajit Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: smbclient works, smbmount does not
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:05:45 GMT

The syntax has changed between the 1.9 and 2.0 smb packages....I'm pretty sure you're
using the 1.9 packages. The thing is I'm not receiving a smbmount error....its a mount
error
I'm getting.

Ajit

------------------------------

From: Eric LEMAITRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS - strange behavior
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:12:38 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :

> I've got Redhat 6.0.  I'm attempting to run DNS using bind 8.2 (shipped
> with Redhat).  Named appears to be running fine, nslookup works great,
> forward & backward lookups work, mx, a, any, etc. all look ok.  Syslog
> shows no errors when named starts.  The only thing that appears
> incorrect is when you run nslookup, the server address shows as 0.0.0.0
> as opposed to 127.0.0.1 (although a lookup on 127.0.0.1 returns
> localhost and a lookup on localhost returns 127.0.0.1).  The server
> works fine as the DNS for desktops on the lan.  The problem I'm having
> is that commands run from the server where DNS is running do not appear
> to be communicating with named.  for instance if i try to ping hostname,
> it responds with unknow host, even though nslookup resolves the hostname
> fine.  The same goes for sendmail (the BIG problem), telnet, ftp,
> traceroute.  I have gone over all the configuration files and all appear
> OK.  Anybody have any ideas???
>
> Thanks...

Hi !

Isn't your "/etc/hosts" filled with many station names ? Because with
nslookup, probably the "real" DNS (/etc/named.conf & /etc/resolv.conf) must
be used, but at usage with asks from other network stations the "/etc/hosts"
is searched for names resolution BEFORE the DNS. This may be an
explaination.
Perhaps too, I don't like at all localhost as DNS, you should use a real IP
adress (192.168.10.1 by example), so that no confusion may be possible.

Bye !

--
Responsable de formation pour les filières Internet et Linux

------------------------------

From: Martin Filtenborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTP installing RH6 via LAN fails. Why?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:44:48 +0200

Silly problem: Trying to install RH6 through LAN, I'm unable to find the
Ethernet NIC (D-Link DE220 PCT) and therefore fail to even get started.
Neither AutoProbe nor specification of IO & IRQ found under W95 helps.
Any good ideas??

Martin Filtenborg

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: PPP and looped back serial line
Date: 16 Jun 1999 06:56:28 -0500

Spudly ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Clifford Kite wrote:
: >
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: timeout set to 5 seconds
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: send (AT&FM1^M)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: expect (OK)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: AT&FM1^M^M
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: OK
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]:  -- got it
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: send (ATDT84250056^M)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent pppd[370]: Serial connection established.
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: abort on (BUSY)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: abort on (WAITING)
: > : Jun 15 11:05:45 vincent chat[371]: timeout set to 45 seconds
: > : Jun 15 11:05:46 vincent pppd[370]: Using interface ppp0
: > : Jun 15 11:05:46 vincent pppd[370]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua0
: > : Jun 15 11:05:50 vincent pppd[370]: Serial line is looped back.
: > : Jun 15 11:05:50 vincent pppd[370]: Connection terminated.
: > : Jun 15 11:05:51 vincent pppd[370]: Exit.

I missed the fact that no dialing sting appears after it's sent.

It's likely that the chat expect/send script is ending prematurely.
If the expect/sends are arguments to chat then I'd look for a carriage
return that is not `\' escaped at the some expect/send line (except
the last of course).  A space or TAB immediately following the `\'
would do it.

<snip>

: I tried minicom right after the first time it didn't work - no problems
: connecting, just couldn't get pppd to start after I exited minicom. So the
: problem didn't occur when I used minicom, which prompted me to look at pppd
: (hence my query).

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

------------------------------

From: Hyunsoo Min <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux - Win98 via crossover
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:19:48 +0900

Nick wrote:

> I have a linux machine up and running with IP of 161.68.1.1 Sub
> 255.255.255.0 and win98 is 161.68.1.2 255.255.255.0
> They are connected via crossover, after I setup linux, i did the win box,
> rebooted it, and started pingin the windows box from linux during reboot,
> it did recieve a response, but as soon as i start up any application on
> the win machine, i no long recieve replys to my pings from the linux side.
>
> # route
> Destination    gateway    Genmask  Flags Metrics Ref Use Iface
> 161.68.1.1      *    255.255.255.255 UH   0        0 0    eth0
> 161.68.1.0      *    255.255.255.0   U    0        0 0    eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *    255.0.0.0       U    0        0 0    lo
>
> # ifconfig
> eth0  Link encap:Ethernet  HW:xxxxxxxxxx
>       inet addr:161.68.1.1 Bcast:161.68.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
>       UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>route print
>
> Active Routes:
>
> Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address        Interface  Metric
>    0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0     161.68.3.101     161.68.3.101       1
>  127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1       1
> 161.68.0.0      255.255.0.0     161.68.3.101     161.68.3.101       1
> 161.68.1.0    255.255.255.0       161.68.1.2       161.68.1.2       2
> 161.68.1.0    255.255.255.0     161.68.3.101     161.68.3.101       1
> 161.68.1.2  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1       1
> 161.68.255.255  255.255.255.255       161.68.1.2       161.68.1.2       1
> 224.0.0.0        224.0.0.0       161.68.1.2       161.68.1.2       1
>
> Any suggestions? or is Windows determined not to work with Linux ;)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

If you have only two box it is not necessary  to have a gateway.  Anyway you
can set gateway on win-side with 161.68.1.2 (which is linux-IP) but
161.68.3.101 is not allowed.  So why don't you delete it.