From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vlar Schreidlocke)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: ipchains and logging
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:57:45 GMT

If you are looking for features to add check out Nukenabber for Win98.
It logs attempts and does a traceroute, finger, whois, etc. and
generates an intelligence report that can be used to pursue  an
attacker further. It could also put some kind of blinking icon or make
a sound, etc. when an attempt was made.

------------------------------

From: "exploser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:14:13 +0800

I have set my soundcard by sndconfig, it work in the test and i have heard
Linus Torvald's sound!! but when i started the X-window, it does not show
any sound effect, even if i try to use X11amp,it failed to play any
MP3!!Why??Please help me to solve it!!!!!thx!!

------------------------------

From: Jan Bernard van Doorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nic/pc problem
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:19:18 +0200

Sal wrote:

> I installed rh6.0 in my old pc pentium 90and then i installed a
> linksys 10/100 etherfast .But i just can't make it work.

Maybe you need a more recent tulip driver, see
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html.

Cheers,

--jb

------------------------------

From: lou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: sound problems!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:31:40 +0000

exploser wrote:

> I have set my soundcard by sndconfig, it work in the test and i have heard
> Linus Torvald's sound!! but when i started the X-window, it does not show
> any sound effect, even if i try to use X11amp,it failed to play any
> MP3!!Why??Please help me to solve it!!!!!thx!!

For the sound FX to work you need to go to KDE Control Panel, than sound,
click on + sign click on System sounds.  Than click the box to enable system
sound.  Than reboot or restat x.

Lou

------------------------------

From: Jan Bernard van Doorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com 3c905 generating frame errors...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:07:45 +0200

Steve Cowles wrote:
> Network Components:
> 3Com 12 port 100 MB hub, Model SuperStack II, HUB 100

You use a hub so both sides should be set to half duplex. Check the
linux machine with vortex-diag -a (by Donald Becker) to see if it is
mistakenly set to full duplex.

Cheers,

--jb

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:24:02 -0700
From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tulip IRQ woes & tulip-diag

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had trouble installing a Linksys 10/100 LAN NIC, so I downloaded the
> latest tulip.o (0.91g), and installed it, with no luck.  I ran the
> tulip-diag program, and got this:
>
> tulip-diag.c:v1.12 7/31/99 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0x1400.
> This chip has not been assigned a valid IRQ, and will not function.
>  This must be fixed in the PCI BIOS setup.  The device driver has no way
>  of changing the PCI IRQ settings.
>  Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
>  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The transmit threshold is 72.
>  Use '-a' to show device registers,
>      '-e' to show EEPROM contents,
>   or '-m' to show MII management registers.
>
> The 0x1400 is correct.  How can I assign it a valid IRQ?  In the BIOS, I
> can't turn off PNP, and all I can do for IRQs is reserve them for ISA
> devices (or would that help?)  I know I have more than enough IRQs
> available, as I turned off the serial and parallel ports in BIOS.  There
> are only two cards in the machine (and only 2 PCI slots).  I took out
> the other card, and switched slots with the NIC, to no avail.  Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Jon
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  I dont know why you cannot assign an interrupt for your PCI slots in
your BIOS. Should be a line something like 'IRQ level for INTA pin'
under the PCI section. You might try contacting the manufacturer to find
out where this is, or to get an updated BIOS for your Motherboard.
  Also, you may want to look at your boot messages 'dmesg | less' to see
what the kernel is finding in regards to your card. (If it didnt find
it, then the driver is not compiled correctly, either in the kernel
itself or as a module)
  I dont know about the Tulip driver, but the vortex/boomerang driver I
compiled seems to find my 3c900b card with no problem, even if I have
INT9 turned off for that slot.

 Sean

--
"Ambiguity succeeds where Honesty dares not venture" -Dogbert

------------------------------

From: Carles Arjona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.2 IP Masq Not Working
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:36:32 +0200

Daniel Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, I've reviewed the FAQs/HOWTOs and they basically say that my RH 5.2
> should do IP masq out of the box, but -- you guessed it -- it's not
> working.

I'm using this script to start and stop masquerading on a working RH 5.2
Linux gateway (pre compiled 2.0.36-0.7 kernel):

---- Cut here ---------

#!/bin/sh
# masquerading    This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#                 IP masquerading.
# by Carles Arjona

LOCALNET=192.168.1.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo "Starting IP Masquerading "
        # Uncomment the services you need.
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
        #/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
        #/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
        /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_cuseeme
        #/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive
        /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
        /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S $LOCALNET/$NETMASK -D 0.0.0.0/0
        ;;
  stop)
        echo "Stoping IP Masquerading "
        /sbin/ipfwadm -F -d m -S $LOCALNET/$NETMASK -D 0.0.0.0/0
        # or even /sbin/ipfwadm -F -f

        for a in $( /sbin/modprobe -l ip_masq_* )
        # It was:
        # for a in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ipv4/ip_masq_*
        # but this didn't work on RedHat 5.2.
        do
                /sbin/modprobe -r `basename $a`
        done
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: masquerading {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac
exit 0

---- Cut here ---------

Since i have a dial-up connection, i added this line:

  /usr/local/sbin/masquerading start

to my /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script, and this one:

  /usr/local/sbin/masquerading stop

to my /etc/ppp/ip-down.local script.

Also make sure that IP forwarding is enabled. If

  grep FORWARD /etc/sysconfig/network

reports "FORWARD_IPV4=false" then change it to "FORWARD_IPV4=true" and
restart the network devices:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

More info at:
  http://www.tor.shaw.wave.ca/~ambrose/
  http://www.xos.nl/linux/ipfwadm/paper/

Also check if routes are properly configured.

Regards.

Carles Arjona    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-
Please, just remove the second NOSPAM for replies from newsgroups.
(Yes, NOSPAM is my real username)
[Don't send me e-mail copies of usenet postings, please]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Network LAN file transfers time out.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:04:50 GMT

Greetings.
I have a Slackware 2.0.35 server running Samba, FTP, Masqing (cable
modem) and Web server all successfully.  However during a sustained
file transfer the LAN network seems to time out.  Win98 reports "the
network resource is nolonger available"  and during a FTP session the
transfer just halts.  This generally occures after 1 minute of file
transfer.

I just noticed this problem (coincided with a P120 to P200 cpu
upgrade).  Is there a switch or parameter that may solve this?
Hardware issue?

Befor I attack this problem I would appreciate any ideas and
suggestions.  Thank you in advance.

------------------------------

From: Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: masquerading incoming http requests?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:11:38 GMT

I have asked this question indirectly as part of several
other posts, but can't seem to get much interest.

So I'll try to be a bit more direct here.

I want to have a web-server running on a machine on my
internal net which doesn't have an official external IP address.
Is this possible.

I haven't seen anything indicating it would be possible from
any of the HOWTO's and various linux documentation I've seen so far.

What I am thinking would be necessary would be a way to route incoming
http packets to the internal server.  Is this possible.

Essentially, it would require the firewall system to be checking incoming
http packets, and to forward them to the appropriate internal system
based on the URL, using packet masquerading.

Is this reasonable, has it been done, what are the issues, etc.?

Jason

------------------------------

From: Some Poster Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another @home/linux/network problem
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:15:12 -0700

Actually, I've verified that to be not true.  I've floated my cable
modem between at least 2 different boxes and 2 different network cards
and, as long as the hostname is set right, DHCP works fine.

------------------------------

From: Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Home network, wingate, linux as proxy, etc.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:00:22 GMT

Can you point me to the source for sygate?  I'd like to look at it...

Jason

------------------------------

From: Ari Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipchains: forwarding packets HELP!!!
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:28:05 GMT

I've been dealing with a variation of this for a long long time, I need
help to resolve it.

I'm now running 2.3.0 with the ipchains software.

I'm setup with a cable modem to a linux box, then back out to an
internal network with a second card.

if I want anyone that calls up my ip address on a browser to be
redirected to another machine on my internal network, how do I do it?

I've got my Linux firewall server as 192.168.1.8
An internal machine is 192.168.1.5 running a Win95 web server

I figure it's something like:
ipchains -A input -s 0.0.0.0/0 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.8 80 -j REDIRECT
192.168.1.5 80

but I just can't figure it out. Any help ASAP would be much appreciated.

Oren Baum
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Leslie Cheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem in setting up PLIP connection...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:36:24 GMT

Hi, I'm trying to setup a PLIP connection between a existing Linux PC to
brand new laptop. Because my laptop don't have CDROM drive, that's why I
want to install Linux to my laptop through PLIP accessing my PC CDROM drive.

So, I type in the following commands in my Linux PC:

mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop

/sbin/rmmod lp

/sbin/insmod plip

I got an error message right after the last command:

/lib/modules/2.2.5/net/plip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Did I miss something or do something wrong?

Leslie

------------------------------

From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADSL Ethernet Problem w/ nameserver
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:31:16 GMT

I have a dual boot Red Hat linux/win98 system.  My ADSL service is through
southwestern bell.  Once I connected the ant and ethernet card to my
computer, in win98 it was just a matter of putting in the right driver for
the ethernet card to connect to the internet.  I did not have to enter any
gateways, masks, ip addresses, nameservers, etc in win 98 to connect to
the internet.  I just used obtain IP address automatically and use DHCP for
WINS resolution, and have DNS disabled.

In linux, I don't even know if my card is working.  I can ping my own
address 127.0.0.1, but I don't know if I am connected to the network.  When
I try to run netscape, it says something about a $SOHO nameserver problem.
 My ISP gives me no information about nameservers, masks, hosts or
addresses, and I didn't need this info to connect under win98.
1. How can I find out if my ethernet card is being properly detected
and initialized in linux?
2. I have checked many of the howto's and they all seemed to be telling me
to put in IP addresses for all these different servers.  How do I get
connect to internet without knowing any addresses?

Your help is appreciated,
Kevin

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Jan Bernard van Doorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone can help with NIS Slave?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:57:07 +0200

Upgrade to ypserv-1.3.7

Cheers,

--jb

------------------------------

From: Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:58:40 GMT

Scott,

I have spent a lot more time looking, since my previous reply.
It still looks like there is no way to use ipchains or ipmasquerading
to route incoming http packets to a node on the internal net.

Have you heard of anyone doing such a thing?

Jason

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: HELP!  How to login and activate DSL????
Date: 11 Sep 1999 20:01:08 GMT

Hello,
  Thanks for your reply!  USWest uses DHCP to assign my IP.  The problem
I'm having is that I have to use Cisco Commander to "login" and activate my
DSL line when I want to use it--my DSL line isn't active all the time (DSL
is new to my area, so they don't offer full time 24hr access yet).  When I
use commander to login to USwest and activate my DSL, I have 2 hours of
use, then I'm disconnected automatically.  I then have to reconnect to get
back on the net, etc.  The login procedure seems similar to a modem dialup
PPP account.  What I can't figure out how to do is to connect and activate
my DSL line under Linux since Cisco Commander is a Windows app. (maybe WINE
will work?) Even if it did connect and activate my DSL line using DHCP upon
bootup, I'd have to reconnect somehow after 2 hrs.  One thing that is
interesting, is that DHCP works without logging in, because windows uses
this and gets an IP, Gateway, etc, upon bootup without me having to use
Cisco Commander.  But I have no real net access until I run Commander, and
then only for 2 hrs each time I login.
  Any ideas on how I might be able to "login" to activate my DSL line
under Linux?  Do you somehow have to login to BellSouth to get net access,
or once you boot using DHCP are you always on the net?  The later is the
type of DSL package I wanted, but as I mentioned, they don't offer 24/7
DSL lines here yet.

Thanks again for your reply!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tulip.c NIC Driver Compiling Problems
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:35:28 GMT

Try insmod tulip.o debug=1 options=0,0

Make sure you remove the old tulip.o first.

Nina

From: "Andrew H. George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help w/ dhcpcd & Cisco 675
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 19:13:43 GMT