Linux-Networking Digest #556, Volume #11         Wed, 16 Jun 99 14:13:54 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux proxy + firewall ("Roman Payreder")
  Re: Setting up two ethernet cards -Please help (James Peterson)
  Simple LDAP for Linux? ("Mark Bramwell")
  ifconfig and virtual interfaces (Matthew Snyder)
  Re: ppp and routing (James Peterson)
  Re: Comtrol RocketPort (Chukwuweta Chukwudebe)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Eugene O'Neil")
  Re: Problem with "shutdown -h" and "shutdown -r"! ("Mike Somerville")
  Re: How to make lookups start with /etc/hosts? (Duncan McIntyre)
  Re: Can't FTP in as a user (William Borrelli)
  Re: Problem with "shutdown -h" and "shutdown -r"! (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Need Help with IPCHAINS (Mike B)
  Re: Help! Cannot use the gateway (another linux) (S P Arif Sahari Wibowo)
  Re: automatisches Login mit NET.EXE ?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Samba: Had it; lost it. (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Help needed with modem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 & PPPIOCGUNIT Operation not permitted ("Mike Worsfold")
  Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip! (Wesley Daemen)
  Re: Any Mail Application for commercial use ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ftp quickie (Andrew Hughes)
  Re: kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly (*)
  Re: Behind firewall.. getting out? (Lyndon Hills)
  Modem Dialup Problem ("June Lim")
  Re: Help with LINUX Internet Server (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Apache not responding (gordo)
  Linux proxy + firewall ("Roman Payreder")

From: "Roman Payreder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux proxy + firewall
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:12:32 +0200

In the DMZ is our mail server, dns server and www server (all linux).
We are not a very big company (about 20 persons). Does this proxy server
need a special hardware features (i know: much cache place and fast hard
disks), or can i let it run on any of the other linux servers?

------------------------------

From: James Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up two ethernet cards -Please help
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:36:00 -0500

I had to add the following lines in my lilo.conf modual

append="ether=0,0,eth1"

and in my conf.moduals
 I have something like

alias eth0 smc-ultra
alias eth1 smc-ultra
options smc-ultra eth0 0,0 eth1 0,0
optins smc-ultra io=0x240,0x280

and finally since I am running debian its called networks but if you are running
redhat or slackware you can put the following in yrou rc.local

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255
route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.0
route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx metric 1
if config eth1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.255
route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.0

the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx are ipaddress and netmasks you want to use....

James Peterson
Network Administrator
Roman Meal Milling Company, Inc
Phone (701) 282-9656
Fax (701) 282-9743
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Mark Bramwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple LDAP for Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:38:49 -0400

I have a couple of thousand names and email address in a file.
e.g.   "Full Name","Email Address"

I want to be able to point the Outlook Express program at my linux box and
have it do a LDAP query.  I can put the data in any format but I don't want
a large x.500 server app.  Anyone have any recommendations for a quick and
dirty bare bones LDAP server daemon ?

PS:  I have downloaded and compiled Open LDAP.  It passes all of the tests
but can't figure out how to put my data into the server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Snyder)
Subject: ifconfig and virtual interfaces
Date: 16 Jun 1999 15:36:38 GMT

does linux ifconfig support more than 255 virtual interfaces (assuming
multiple NICs)?   i've heard that there is a 255 limit hardcoded as a
#define in the ifconfig source, but i don't have the source to check...
i'd rather not set up the 256th virtual interface and realize that my
plan wasn't going to work...

matthew

------------------------------

From: James Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp and routing
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:49:16 -0500

you should check with your IPS to see if they are using pap/chat athenacation ...
that could be the problem

From: Chukwuweta Chukwudebe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Comtrol RocketPort
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:43:16 -0700

Thank you,
I'll try that.
CSC

------------------------------

From: "Eugene O'Neil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 16 Jun 1999 16:30:03 GMT

Philip Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> If you read the supplied URL above, you'll learn that microsoft doesn't
have
> to cheat, to give a better performance than linux on an SMP box.

No, they didn't need to cheat to win... but they cheated anyway, out of
sheer habit I guess. That is even MORE pathetic than cheating when it is
the only way you can win.

-Eugene

------------------------------

From: "Mike Somerville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with "shutdown -h" and "shutdown -r"!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:34:17 -0400

try
shutdown -h now
                     /\

        you have to give it a time frame.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:46:35 +0000
From: Duncan McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make lookups start with /etc/hosts?

My brain has obviously gone. I meant /etc/resolv.conf, not /etc/hosts. Of
course you are all right - the correct file is /etc/host.conf.  Netscape is
still screwed though, even if you start it with another page - it always
seems to go off and look for some Netscape pages in the background anyway.
When will kfm support Java and JavaScript??

Thanks for your replies,

Duncan

------------------------------

From: William Borrelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't FTP in as a user
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:07:21 -0400

Ok, I have fixed the problem. When creating a user using the KDE user
manager, the settings are not quite correct. When I used userconf it seems
to have corrected the issue. The only thing that I can see that is
different, userconf puts the default shell (/bin/bash) in whereas KDE user
manager does not add one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike B)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Need Help with IPCHAINS
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:40:26 GMT

Help!

I need help getting my firewall setup correctly. I have read the
IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html over and over again, followed the examples and
can't get it working.

I have two ethernet cards on my system, both are working fine.  eth0
is my internal network (ip 192.168.1.1) and eth1 is on the external
network using DHCP.  I can access the internet using FTP, HTTP, MAIL,
etc... and on the internal network (eth0) I can TELNET, FTP, etc to my
firewall without a problem.  I also have another PC on the internal
network (ip 192.168.1.2) setup to have the firewall as my default
gateway and default DNS (which is working fine).  I have RedHat Linux
6.0, Kernal Version 2.2.5-15 using IPCHAINS.

I know I am so close to getting it working, it's driving me insane.
Does anyone with a similar configuration have a sample ipchains config
they can upload here for me to review or use on my network.

Thanks in advance!

Mike B

------------------------------

From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Help! Cannot use the gateway (another linux)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:30:37 -0500

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, DanH wrote:

>S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to mention that I use RedHat Linux 6.0 in the second machine and
>> I used its linuxconf to configure the network. Well, apparently whether
>> the linuxconf didn't do the job right or the network scripts was faulty,
>> it doesn't put the gateway right:
>
>Put these two lines in your /etc/sysconfig/network file:
>
>GATEWAY=192.168.1.x (whatever your gateway device's IP is)
>GATEWAYDEV=eth0
>
>I'd be willing to bet they're not in there.

Well, you lose! :-) It was there, but the routing still was not set. I
guess some of the network scripts that suppose to pick this number up is
faulty.

Thanks!

                                   S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
  _____  _____  _____  _____
 /____  /____/ /____/ /____           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_____/ /      /    / _____/          http://spas.8m.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: automatisches Login mit NET.EXE ??
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:24:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ingo Ciechowski) wrote:
> Hallo zusammen,
>
> kann mir jemand sagen, ob - und vor allem wie - man die
User/Paßwortabfrage
> nach dem aufruf von "net start" beim DOS-Login auf einen linux samba
> fileserver umgehen
> kann?
>
> Es wäre kein Sicherheitsproblem, wenn das Paßwort irgendwo im Klartext
> abgelegt werden müsste...
>
> Ingo
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

so weit ich weiß -KEINE CHANCE!!!

unter win3.11 gab es die möglichkeit das pw zu cachen - im prinzip
musstest du dich genau einmal anmelden und das wars -
und unter win9x kannst du 'abbrechen' machen ( oder ein leeres passwort)
und bist trotzdem am netzwerk ( soweit die shares entsprechend sind)
aber bei dem dosclient  ( ms-dosclient für nt-netzwerke) den ich kenne
wüßte ich nicht wie du's machen willst.

frage dich mal , ob du deinen awern nicht die paar keyboard-klicks
zutrauen willst?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Samba: Had it; lost it.
Date: 16 Jun 1999 19:00:29 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Yuki Taga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This one always seems to work:
>smbmount //<nt_box_name>/<nt_share_name> -c 'mount <mount_point> -u 123 -g \
>456' -U <nt_user_account_name>
>
>I haven't tried yours yet, but I will, because it's shorter.  <g>

Maybe you shouldn't if yours are a new version and mine is an old one with
a different syntax I don't know about.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help needed with modem
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:02:22 GMT

Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just installed suse linux v6.1 on my pc and am unable to make linux
> see my my internal isa pnp modem. Using a ms-dos pnp setup utility, I set
> the modem to it's default settings of port 2e8, irq 10 but linux detects the
> modem as being at 2e8, irq 3 which is incorrect. Trying to dial then returns
> modem busy error. My modem only supports irq settings of 9,10,11 and 12.
> Is there any way to correct detection of modem. I use Loadlin to boot linux
> and can add any necessary kernel boot commands if somebody can email the
> correct settings to me. I have tested the dialer using a borrowed external
> modem and this is working, just need to configure internal modem irq
> correctly. This is not a winmodem as it works with Arachne dos web browser
> when windoze is not running if I use the dos isapnp utility I have.

> Thanks in advance for your help,

Instead of using the DOS program, you can use isapnptools.  To fix
the hardware settings, use setserial /dev/whatever port 0x2e8 irq 10 uart whatever

--
Adam C. Emerson                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.calvin.edu/~aemers19/

------------------------------

From: "Mike Worsfold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 & PPPIOCGUNIT Operation not permitted
Date: 16 Jun 1999 16:34:41 GMT

I have exactly the same problem.  I re-installed the original kernel from
the YaST menu, which overwrites /usr/src/linux/.config and then re-made the
kernel.  Then pppd works.  I then just changed one parameter in the .config
to enable SMP support and then re-made the kernel again and then I get the
PPPIOCGUNIT error.  I am very frustrated as I would like to use both
processors!

Anybody have any ideas.  The interesting thing is that the RedHat 6.0
pre-compiled SMP kernel (also 2.2.5) and the RedHat pppd do not seem to
have the problem.  But RedHat do not supply the .config file, so I have no
idea of the configuration they used to generate their kernel.

Mike Worsfold

------------------------------

From: Wesley Daemen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:06:25 +0200

Mike Bowie - CITYPRO wrote:

> Oki, sounds good... I'm running RH6.0 native (K 2.2.5-15)
>
> Are you using ipportfw or ipmasqadm?  What firewalling options do you use to
> backup the masqing of the port?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike.

I am using ipmasqadm 0.4.2 (http://juanjox.kernelnotes.org/)
I start the forwarding from my bootscripts: I have a bootscript that
initializes the firewalling rules and the forwarding rules

The command I am using to enable the portforwarding is:
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 212.123.9.6 55556 -R 192.168.0.2 23

Hope this helps you,

Wesley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Any Mail Application for commercial use
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:03:12 GMT

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>Besides Zmail and Sendmail, is there any mail application suitable for
>>commercial use ? As Sendmail seems too complicated for commercial and
>>the user interface is not so user-friendly.

qmail works well commercially, and has fewer security holes.

From: Andrew Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ftp quickie
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:40:26 +0100

I have an ftp site using wu.ftpd (standard ftp deamon which is shipped
with redhat) and would like to know how to allow users to access only
their home directory (i.e. their home dirctory on the box is their root
directory) when they ftp to the box.

any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (*)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:29:36 GMT

On or about Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:46:57 +0200, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=> First, thanks to all those that helped me to solve my connection problem:
=> I now can setup a PPP connection using a script, which works for both root
=> and "normal" users accounts, or using kppp ...
=> BUT kppp works only when I'm logged as root.
=> When logged as user, it dials out, receives the CONNECT statement, and then
=> I get the message:
=>         "pppd daemon died unexpectedly"
=> (I off course did chmod on pppd, and even a chown on
=> $HOME/.kde/share/configg/kppprc)
=> Any clue?
=> Michel Roux

You may get that error any time kppp loses the connection so it doesn't point
to the problem. Perhaps running kppp from a shell will give you an idea where
to look? And an obvious, chmod opt/kde/bin/kppp.

--
unclebob at nym dot alias dot net                                             |
__________________________________

------------------------------

From: Lyndon Hills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Behind firewall.. getting out?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:49:04 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm behind a proxy and firewall on which only web ports for traffic are
> allowed out. I was wondering if there's any sort of application set so
> I could use a web browser (and maybe run a JAVA app) to use the web
> port to communicate with something on a Linux system which I have on
> the outside world to FTP, telnet, or other applications from.

You might try looking at www.unitedcouncil.org/proxy.html

They had a telnet client written in java. I don't recall much else about
it, except it seemed to work and was rather slow.
I think the page heading was Java Telnet Pro.

HTH
Lyndon

------------------------------

From: "June Lim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Dialup Problem
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:54:44 -0700

Hi,

I have connected an ext sporster modem to my redhat and it works but not
what I expected... because the modem is not dialing immediately after I
execute the ppp-on script ! I have to wait like 3-5 mins then it dials ! Why
!?

Any ideas what's wrong with the config ? I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with LINUX Internet Server
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:57:32 GMT

Here is what I would do, and have already partially done:
1. Use RedHat version 6.0 for your O/S.
2. As far as protocols, this is not going to affect security, depending on how
you set it up.  Make sure you have TCP/IP running on NT, otherwise you won't be
able to access the Linux web page internally (because Linux uses TCP/IP, and
HTTP and FTP protocols run on TCP/IP).
3. The image you have of your network looks good.  It is perfectly secure to
attach your linux machine to/by a standard hub, unless you start playing with
Linux routing and end up routing all of your NT computers out to the internet,
which is very hard to do if you try, and impossible by accident.
4. Linux and NT software ?! Are you kidding?  They are NOT intercompatible.  If
you want a virusscan for Linux, your best bet is to go download one off
www.linuxberg.com. NT and Linux are mortal enemies (at least Gates hates Linux
anyway).  RedHat 6.0 has an applications CD, which includes Corel WordPerfect
Suite, and you might find a virusscan on there, too.
5.  I have no idea about backups.  I use a Jaz drive on my tiny network, but I
would think Tape would be the cheapest.
6.  Hardware configuration.  Hmmm...Since you are going to be exporting this to
the internet, get at least a high end pentium, if not a multiple oentium
processor computer.  This isn't going to be cheap, but if you plan on doing any
business via web, it will role in the dough.  Get at least a T1 to the internet,
if you dont alreay have one.  As far as an NIC, a 100mbs will do (I recomend
3com products).
Make sure you write a message to the group when the page gets up!
--Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (gordo)
Subject: Apache not responding
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:03:31 GMT

I have a stand alone RH5.2 system. I attempted to configure apache
with the Comache program but it may have caused an error.

I tried naming my local serever and then got a bunch of errors from
Apache. The errors apparently come from the httpd.conf file but I
don't understand what needs to be done.

Any advice?