Linux-Networking Digest #558, Volume #11         Wed, 16 Jun 99 16:13:58 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip! (Trever Adams)
  Re: Any Mail Application for commercial use (David T. Blake)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Chad Mulligan")
  Re: Genius 56K modem + Redhat 6.0 doesn't work ! (Jim Chisholm)
  Re: Samba can't share DOS mount? ("Bob Glover")
  Re: mounting NT server (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip! (Wesley Daemen)
  Samba can't share DOS mount? ("John Zbesko")
  Help with identd and irc. (Walter Francis)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest News
  Re: whois <name> Question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mounting NT server (Haaino Beljaars)
  about IP tunneling... (Wei-chun)
  Re: Firewall/Proxy Server (Eric)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!! - Part2 ("Velid Arnautovic")
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:  (Yan Seiner)

From: Trever Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:34:26 -0600

Mike Bowie - CITYPRO wrote:

> Hi,
*snip*
> Running and Internet Gateway / Firewall on a RedHat 6.0 Machine.  (Upgraded
> to 6.0 for a PPTP masq patch.)  *TRYING* to get port forwarding to work.  It
> is ALL complied into the kernel and the module is loaded into memory.  It
> tells me the module is in use once I apply some general rules using
> "ipmasqadm portfw " etc etc.  BUT IT DOESN'T FORWARD SQUAT!
*snip*

echo"1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I believe that is what you are looking for.  I don't mean to be rude,
but apparently you didn't search the news groups or read the kernel
configuration help for port forwarding in the kernel.  I believe it
mentions that you need to do EXACTLY this.

Trever

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Any Mail Application for commercial use
Date: 16 Jun 1999 07:51:58 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>qmail works well commercially, and has fewer security holes.

Qmail is very nicely configurable with a single directory
containing text files to define the configuration.

I am not aware of any security holes - there was $10k offered and
uncollected for anyone to execute any operation on a machine running
qmail that they did not have permission to execute while logged in.

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:56:16 -0700

Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...
>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:45:57 -0700, Chad Mulligan wrote:
>>

>>>With 1 caveot:  Linux applications *are* Solaris applications.
>>>

>>Are they now..  Hmm does IE for Solaris run on RH6.0? How about Oracle 8.0?
>>Sun Net Manager? WABI?
>
>WABI and Oracle run on linux ( though if you're buying oracle licenses, the
>cost of the solaris license is peanuts anyway ) IE ? who cares. THe Solaris
>version is a POS.

Couldn't be worse that Netscape.

>>>Scalability concerns stem from the fear of not being able to give your
>>>applications enough horsepower.  If you develop open Linux solutions,
>>>you can always scale on up to any "big iron" UNIX you wish to.
>[snip]
>>  Big Iron's days >are numbered.
>[snip]
>>26 as I recall, in eight redundant clusters, supported by redundant fast
>[snip]
>>And the best part, as far as joe public is concerned, it's a single entity.
>
>In otherwords, the scalability of the individual servers is not terribly
>important, as it's fairly easy to split a website between multiple machines
>in a way that is transparent to the visitors.

Funny concept that isn't it.  I know customer service is a foreign idea to UNIX
admins but, hey, you get to write scripts all day,so what the hell.

>It's kind of funny that I didn't see you saying anything like this in the
>Mindcraft threads (-;

Different discusions require different data.  A point of fact though, I believe I
did make some comment on the distributed computing model.  But that may have been
another time.  In any case, the "High End" server from the Mindcraft tests seems to
be exactly this low end cluster you've been claiming to have someware.  MS has it in
production, where's yours?

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Genius 56K modem + Redhat 6.0 doesn't work !
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:49:39 +0000

==============49FEBBC210376C9D04B7F17A

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just got a Genius 56K PnP modem to replace my old ISA one. I
> have set the BIOS to disable Com2 and told it I have a non PnP OS.
> I have win98 on the same machine and according to it and the diags
> that came with the modem it is working fine, however I cannot dial
> out using "Dial up Networking".
>
> I got the irq and the io ranges for the modem and booted into linux,
> which is RedHat 6.0. I tried to use setserial to set the irq and i/o
> ranges for /dev/ttyS1 that win98 had given me. The irq was fine, but
> how do I set a pair of i/o ranges ? Win98 gave me two ranges for the
> modem, but it seems that setserial will only allow me to set one
> value for the ioport.
>
> I set the ioport to be the low values of the first range win98
> specified, but when I then ran setserial it did not identify the
> UART correctly, it just said it was "unknown". When I ran it on
> /dev/ttyS0 it was fine. Unsurprisingly when I ran minicom and
> just typed "at" I got no reponse from the modem. Chat just said
> that it couldn't get the terminal i/o.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions as to what I may be missing. To the best
> of my knowledge this is not a winmodem.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Simon.
>
> P.S If possible please copy me on your reply.

To the best of *my* knowledge any and all PCI modems are
winmodems..someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
http://electron.phys.dal.ca
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Lieutenant #2 Bay Road Station 59
http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
To the best of *my* knowledge any and all PCI modems are winmodems..someone
correct me if I'm wrong..
<pre>--&nbsp;

=======================================================&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Jim
Chisholm&nbsp;<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S.
Canada&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://electron.phys.dal.ca">http://electron.phys.dal.ca</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service&nbsp;
Lieutenant #2 Bay Road Station 59
<A
HREF="http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA">http://www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/HalifaxNSCA</A>
=======================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Re: Samba can't share DOS mount?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:12:50 +0100

The problem is that it's a VFAT parition and as such it does not have
permission bits.  You can't chmod u+x or anything like that because DOS
doesn't have any concept of execute-only mode, etc.

But, you can specify effective permissions for the duration of the mount
with the -f and -d arguments to the mount command.  But once mounted, that's
it -- all files on that partition will appear with those permissions (until
umounted) -- you can't change individual permissions.

If you're like me you can never remember the octal equivalents for the
permissions, so have a look at the man page for chmod.

John Zbesko wrote in message ...
>I have a Samba/Linux server with the OEM-installed Win98 DOS drive mounted
>as /dos. As root, I can read and write files to the /dos directory.
However,

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting NT server
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:40:59 GMT

Here is how you should type your particular command:

smbmount \\\\compusafe\\drived -U haaino -I 192.168.1.2 -c 'mount /drived'

NOTE: the "-c 'mount /drived'
YOU MUST HAVE THIS!!
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Wesley Daemen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:07:48 +0200

Mike Bowie - CITYPRO wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "ipmasqadm portfw " etc etc.  BUT IT DOESN'T FORWARD SQUAT!
>
> Mike

I had the same problem trying to redirect port 55556 of my masq.
firewall to port 23 on my internal linux box (I needed it to have access
to my machine from school)

I just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.10 and the problem was solved.

So maybe a kernel upgrade can solve your problem.

Wesley

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with identd and irc.
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:00:44 -0400

Old, old topic, but an hour of browsing on Deja didn't seem to produce a
solution to my problem.

I'm trying to run xchat (or ircii, or..) on my Linux box, which is not
on a firewall but has its own firewall enabled.

I have in my hosts.allow file in.identd: all and I get messages from
identd in the syslog, such as:

Jun 16 14:31:11 linux identd[1537]: Connection from
galaxynet.sprynet.com
Jun 16 14:31:12 linux identd[1537]: from: 165.121.1.47 (
galaxynet.sprynet.com ) for: 1269, 6667

But no returned line, as if the connection is made but nothing is done.
Is there more I need to do to allow identd connections, I've tried it on
a few hosts that aren't allowed into my machine (by default) and they
produce the same message.  However, I can send commands to the identd
server, so it seems to me that the firewall isn't interfering.

Identd is so silly, but now a bot on a channel I hang on sometimes
insists on ident or you're kicked, so I can't even get into the channel
now.

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:04:42 -0700

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:56:16 -0700, Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...
>>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:45:57 -0700, Chad Mulligan wrote:
[deletia]
>>In otherwords, the scalability of the individual servers is not terribly
>>important, as it's fairly easy to split a website between multiple machines
>>in a way that is transparent to the visitors.
>
>Funny concept that isn't it.  I know customer service is a foreign idea to UNIX
>admins but, hey, you get to write scripts all day,so what the hell.

        If the service is not available then no customer servicing
        can go on. Bell Labs engineers love to hark upon this point.
        That they do works rather in your favor.

[deletia]

        Mind you, Linux webserver clustering was one of the first things
        that was brought up HERE when this Mindcraft BS first broke.

--

bash: the power to toast your registry in style...     |||
                                                      / | \

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: whois <name> Question
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:09:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is it possible to extract an IP address from a domain found using
> the 'whois' command ?

At least two IP addresses are provided with each domain listing -- the
primary and secondary nameservers.  No other IP addresses are listed or
can be listed [unless the registering individual(s) happened to fill out
the "optional" fields, which most do not].

> whois produces a listing of internet username directory
> but is there away of finding an IP address from the
> directory addresses it finds ?

Yes, the two nameservers.

> Perhaps I am looking for a 'traceroute' sting or a 'dig' string.

More likely, you are looking for `host -l domainname.com`

> Any ideas ?

Yes, try the command I just mentioned.  It will not work on some
nameservers [whether or not to allow digs is a configuration option],
but it will work for most.

--
Bill Clark
Systems Architect

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Haaino Beljaars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:41:43 +0200

Hi,

------------------------------

From: Wei-chun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about IP tunneling...
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:24:38 -0700

Hi,
I'm using kernel 2.0.x to set up ip tunnels.
If I compile tunneling support into modules, I can establish as many
tunnels by using "insmod new_tunnel -o".
But if I compile it into kernel, I can only have tunl0 and tunl1.
Does anyone know how to add more tunnels?

Thank you for your help.
Wei-chun

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall/Proxy Server
Date: 16 Jun 1999 16:30:47 GMT

Could anyone fill me in on how to setup a transparent proxy.  If anyone has
any links to step by step instructions or any hints please let me know.

Eric

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:19:14 +0100

Miguel Cruz wrote:
> How do you know they haven't planted a
> Deep Cover software mole into NT Server for the specific purpose of the day
> when they're called upon to conduct the benchmark with a shrinkwrapped
> copy?
>
> No, I think the only fair solution is for them to show the source.

You're volunteering to read the NT source code, are you?

Brave fool...

;-)

Mark.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:04:18 GMT

Mark Tranchant  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Miguel Cruz wrote:
>> How do you know they haven't planted a
>> Deep Cover software mole into NT Server for the specific purpose of the day
>> when they're called upon to conduct the benchmark with a shrinkwrapped
>> copy?
>>
>> No, I think the only fair solution is for them to show the source.
>
> You're volunteering to read the NT source code, are you?

No, as I know full well, madness that way lies.

I just wanted to set up a condition that would never be satisfied so we
could all get back to work and stop benchmarking annoying-to-operate
point-and-hope systems against the sleek elegance of Unix.

miguel

------------------------------

From: "Velid Arnautovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!! - Part2
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:17:58 GMT

Velid Arnautovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<01beb6da$8ddab900$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a similiar problem :
>
> I have 486 machine and pentium machine connected on LAN with hub.
> When I use both machine as Win95 machines - no problem I have network.
> When I use both machines as Linux boxes - I can ping to each other.
>
> But problems come when I have 486 as Linux machine and Pentium as Win95
> machine.
> I can't ping to each other ( I can ping to itself on each of machines)
>
> On Linux 486 machine in file /etc/hosts I have these 2 lines :
>
> 192.168.1.4   sarsoft.arnautovic.com sarsoft
> 192.168.1.6   sarsoft1.arnautovic.com sarsoft1
>
> In file  /etc/resolv.conf        I have :
>
> domain  arnautovic.com
> search   arnautovic.com
>
> In file /etc/rc/rc.inet1    I have :
>
> IPADDR="192.168.1.4"
> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
> NETWORK="192.168.1.0"
> BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"
>
> GATEWAY="192.168.1.4"
>

> On win95 machine I have :
>
> NetworkNeigboorhood / TCP/IP->network card
>
> for :  IP  address  : 192.168.1.6
>
> Host :  sarsoft1               Domain :  arnautovic.com
>
> DNS Server Search :   192.168.1.6
>                                  192.168.1.4
>
> Problem is Win95 setup but I don't where.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank you
>

> Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > It sounds to me like your Win98 end is failing (after all, unless it's
> driver,
> > there isn't much that can go wrong in Linux, and SMC works in Linux, I
> have
> > one).  I would check settings, etc., on the Win9x end.
> > --Nick
> >
> > Rafo wrote:
> >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the input.  Lights at both NIC cards are on (green).
> However,
> > > during the ping attempts I do not observe any TX/RX light activity on
> either
> > > card.  The cards are Linux = EtherEZ (SMC), Win98 = AT-2000 PnP
Series.

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:27:01 -0400

By comparison, cdrom.com, the busiest site on the web, runs on one
PPro...  One guess at the OS....

Yan

--

          | /      /