Linux-Networking Digest #567, Volume #11         Thu, 17 Jun 99 10:13:51 EDT

Contents:
  using ISP's proxy -- how? (Greg Jones)
  Re: ipportfw with kernel 2.0.36 (Greg Weeks)
  Re: Linux to replace NT Server ("Peter King")
  double nic problem with 2.2.x (Robert Kaestel)
  Re: Can no one help me with interrupt problems? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem and Ethernet Card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Terminal sharing Sage on Linux server ("Peter King")
  DirecPC or ISDN? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: problems with 2.3.6 kernel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SMB samba shares not being seen by everyone???? (Monte Phillips)
  Dialup server (The Krow)
  Re: Connecting a Linux Box to a Unix Box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Need help convincing my company Linux TCP/IP stack is safe. (Larry Irons)
  Re: Does anyone know what ports 31789 and 31790 are for? (David Kennedy)
  Re: using ISP's proxy -- how? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't ping anything. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Connecting a Linux Box to a Unix Box (Monte Phillips)
  Re: newbie: mrouted for I86 (Bob Ollerton)
  Re: Can't ping anything. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  sharing Devices, NT <-> Linux (Robert Land)
  Re: 5 printing related questions - need help, please? (Spider Man)

From: Greg Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: using ISP's proxy -- how?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:53:28 +1000

My ISP uses a proxy server and while I have found the settings in
Netscape,
is there a HOWTO or doc on setting-up and using a remote proxy
URL::port.

I cannot find an option that looks like this in pppd.

Admittedly my understanding of the subject is limited, but if a remote
proxy
exists on your ISP then shouldn't my internet clients other than
Netscape know
what this adress is?

This subject (or terminology) seems to be absent from any of the PPP-*-
HOWTO's
I've read ---- so far!!.

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Weeks)
Subject: Re: ipportfw with kernel 2.0.36
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:47:35 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Carl Filpo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I seem to be missing something.
>
> I have debian linux 2.1 SLINK with kernel 2.0.36 and am trying to setup
> ipportfw
>
> So far I have:
>
>     - copied the file subs-patch-1.37.gz to my /usr/src/linux directory.
>     - applied the patch with:  zcat subs-patch-1.37.gz  |  patch -p1
>     - run make config
>
> This is where my problem lies - I can't see the
> CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW option.
>
> It doesn't show up when I do a make config.
>
> I realize I must be missing a step here.

Did you enable EXPERIMENTAL in the config? You also need to have IP
Masquarade enabled.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

------------------------------

From: "Peter King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Linux to replace NT Server
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:01:23 +0100

You should be able to use the policies tool with the win9x cd to store the
workstation registry anywhere you want then go to each workstation and tell
it to use user level seciurity and where the file is.
Not tried with linux but used with a win95 acting as a basic server once.
worked fine.

news:w7_93.119$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Kaestel)
Subject: double nic problem with 2.2.x
Date: 17 Jun 1999 11:58:28 GMT

Hi

I have a problem using two networkcards in
kernel 2.2.{9,10}, probably other 2.2.x's too.

The problem is that I can only reach the nic/IP that has the
defaultroute, from outside our network. The two nics are connected
to two different ISPs.
I have routes for both networks, and I have a correct defaultroute.

The networks card are 1 AMD PCnet32 FAST+, and 1 3Com 3c509b.

Any ideas?

thanks
Robert

--
---- ---- ---- --- - -- - -
Robert Kaestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can no one help me with interrupt problems?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:40:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robin Jackson) wrote:
> I have posted this problem before.
>
> My Adaptec 1640 PC card SCSI controller and PC Card Ethernet
controller are
> sharing the same interrupt.
>
> NOTHING I have tried will make them use different interrupts.

what did you try already?

which interrupt do they use?

is linux the only os on this machine?

is the bios informed that your os is NOT PNP?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Modem and Ethernet Card
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:48:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  becky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>         I am using an ethenet card at an intranet and i am trying to
> connect to
> internet by using a modem. However, there is a problem here. It seems
> that the modem and ethernet card cannot coexist together.

could you run ifconfig and tell us the result?

seems like a case of routing gone astray to me.

how do you start the modem- anything like ppp-up or kppp or so?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Peter King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Terminal sharing Sage on Linux server
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:57:22 +0100

If I run Sage for dos multi user like Line100 on a linux server can mulitple
people run it from their win95 workstation through terminal emulation
software.

The reason I ask is that Sage Line100 tends to run the Sage.EXE from the
server and pull a 100MB database over the network constantly, hense my
customers network is dog slow.

To add to it they want their remote sites linking via a VPN router which is
obviously going to be impossible as these remote sites want to run the Sage
over the VPN.

Any suggestions.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:03:39 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DirecPC or ISDN?

Hello All,

It seems the best I can get out of my house located in a rural area
is 24k from my (56K) modem. There is no cable TV here, nor will there
ever be (we use a satellite). DSL is a non-issue as well.

I need to work from home using SSH to get to work and run X apps (Xemacs
specifically) remotely and use a web browser. Compressing SSH, and
forcing
XEmacs to use the local X Servers backing store results in OK
performance
over the modem, but it leaves a bit to be desired. To compensate, I've
turned off the menu and scrollbar and un-3d'ed the modeline. FWIW, my
home network is an old 486 running RH 4.2 doing IP Masquerading for my
Linux box where I do most of my development work. There are other
computers on the home network, but they don't really figure in this
scenario.

Bell Atlantic offers Virtual ISDN (which costs more than ISDN), however
it's quite expensive. I'm still considering it. I think ISDN would work
out since it wouldn't change much of my current home network (replace
analog modem with the ISDN modem). I also don't know if ISDN will really
help - if my ISP is bogged down, which they appear to be at times, will
ISDN be any better than a regular modem?

DirecPC looks quite affordable, but they don't support Linux. There is
3'rd party software available, but I don't know how it will fit in with
my home network/IP masquerading scenario. I also don't know if DirecPC
will lend itself to the type of work I'm doing. Is there any latency
for each "download" session?

Does anyone here have experience with ISDN and/or DirecPC running X
apps remotely? I'd like to here it, or any opinions before committing
to either. Thanks!

John
--
John Wagner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web page: http://www.neknetwork.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: unl.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: problems with 2.3.6 kernel
Date: 17 Jun 1999 12:08:53 GMT

The error means that this Win95 machine thinks that something invalid has
happened and wants to tell the machine who sent the data it considers bad.
Somehow, it gets that machine's address wrong and sends it to the broadcast
adress, that is, all machines on the local net.
As far as I understand this error, this is a problem with that Win95 machine,
so you may just ignore it (or block it using a firewall rule) or fix that
machine.
Now, if you ask why Kernel 2.0.36 didn't show that error: I think that's
because it either didn't consider this wrong or just didn't show a message.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: SMB samba shares not being seen by everyone????
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:00:35 GMT

Maybe this is similer,  I have a network with all but one NIC a
linksys, the odd one is a 3com509combo  and it absolutely will not see
the network unless it is the first one booted. It is a great card,
stable etc, so I stuck it in the server.<G>

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:25:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Chapman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Krow)
Subject: Dialup server
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:09:57 GMT

Hi i'm trying to create a dialup server so the employees can access
the network email from their home systems, as well a company databases
for home offices. how would i go about setting up my box to accept
dial in?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Connecting a Linux Box to a Unix Box
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:07:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  kuds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have around 20 P233MMX machines connected to a Unix box. I
> have installed RH52 on 2 of these machines. My problem is
>
> 1. I dont know the make of the nic nor can i open the
> machine and find out, i suspect it to be a tulip, but dont
> take my word on this. Does anybody have ne ideas on how to
> find this out and also how to install the card

which os is on the 18 other machines?
if you have one machine where the os KNOWS the netcard -
if you can get one MAC-adress ( and we presume here they are all the
same) - there is data somewhere in the web to resolve MAC-adresses into
manufacturer.
( you could install win9x just for that purpose and hope for
auto-detection working correct)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Larry Irons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help convincing my company Linux TCP/IP stack is safe.
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:28:43 GMT

Matthew Marlowe wrote:

> Gilford,
>
> I doubt that it's the stack - they might be pretty unclued if they
> think that it is.  It could be a bad ethernet card on the network,
> bad wiring, etc....rather than wasting their time guessing, they
> should do some network troubleshooting or bring in a network tester.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> Gilford Wimbley wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:15:19 GMT, Christian Hudon
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >the company I work for has been experiencing networking problems
> > >recently, and they've started to take a look at everything that's
> > >connected to their internal network. That includes my Linux box. So I'd
> > >need help convincing them that Linux's TCP/IP stack doesn't cause
> > >network floods, is well implemented, etc. I know this is a bit silly,
> > >but...
> > >
> > >So, I'd appreciate pointers to resources showing that Linux's TCP/IP
> > >stack is implemented according to the RFCs. Pointers to resources
> > >showing that people actually use Linux on the Internet without causing
> > >problems (so-and-so % of
> > >the Internet's web servers are running Linux, company x relies on
> > >Linux's TCP/IP stack for their business, company y uses Linux for its
> > >servers, etc.) would also be great. Anything.
> > >
> > >If there are other appropriate forums for this kind of questions, I'd
> > >like hearing about them too.
> > >
> > There's one called "comp.os.linux.advocacy"
> > I bet those folks can dig up some stats for you.
> >
> > >Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >  Christian
> >
> > Good luck!
> > GW
>
> --
> Matthew Marlowe       http://www.jalan.com/   (p) 909.799.3805
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Jalan Network Services   (f) 909.799.3285
> "Quality Web Hosting, Network, Linux, and Solaris Consulting"

I just had a major problem with a bad network card on a Linux server. It
was a Realtek based NIC. It was causing all kinds of problems on a mixed
Unix and Windows network. The Linux box even locked up! I have never
seen that before, because Linux is very stable; more stable than
anything else I have seen. Anyway, I replaced the network card with a
3-Com card and everything is smooth as silk now. I don't know if the
driver is bad for the card or if the card went south (most likely). My
client was losing faith in my suggestion of using Linux, but now they
love the situation.

Larry

--
Larry Irons
A Direct Descendant of William the Conqueror, Charlemagne, Clovis,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Kennedy)
Subject: Re: Does anyone know what ports 31789 and 31790 are for?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:32:12 GMT

I spoke with someone and he mentioned the posibility that someone is
trying to see if there is a variant of the 'Back Orifice' program
installed?

Does anyone know more about which ports "back oriface" uses?
Just a shot in the dark.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: using ISP's proxy -- how?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 12:35:28 GMT

You ask how to tell your pppd to use a proxy. Well, pppd deals with IP
connections, while proxys are used in connection with HTTP/FTP/whatever
so everything concerning proxys must be set up in the clients (or you
could use transparent proxying combined with some other stuff, but that's
quite complex and IMHO not worth the effort.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't ping anything.
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:51:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Could your netmask be off? I've seen 255.255.255.0 more often than
> 255.255.255.255.

I don't think so, since it works with the same netmask under Win98.

> What about cabling? There have been a couple of times where I've found
> my cable come loose from the back of my NIC. Or a terminator? (Are you
> using Cat-5 or coax? If coax, a faulty hub?).

It can't be a hardware problem since it works with exactly the same
hardware under Win98.

> Can you ping that machine FROM your gateway?

Well, it is not my gateway. I'm trying to connect to an existing
network, and I don't have access to the gateway. However, I can't ping
myself from a friends machine on the same network. All I get is 'Request
timed out'.

Any other Ideas?

Magnus Johansson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:55:33 GMT

Now I have a question for you.  What the hell kind of set up are you
involved in that you have accesst to network the computers, but you
cannot open them to inspect hardware.

I smell rats!

From: Bob Ollerton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie: mrouted for I86
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:46:36 GMT

I should have also said that I'm running the readhat 5.2 distribution.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:03:54 GMT

In article <7kaka4$fsj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I can't ping anything except my own host.
> so ping 127.0.0.1
> ping localhost
> ping (your machine name here)
> they all work?

Yep, they all work.

> have you tried tcpdump to monitor your ip-traffic, maybe find out what
> is working or not - can you see packets from other machines?

I believe I've found the problem. Thanks! Now I just need to find a
solution. :)
Here's the output from tcpdump when I try to ping my gateway:

bash-2.02# tcpdump -ieth0
tcpdump: listening on eth0

13:42:32.442276 arp who-has 172.23.0.1 tell trynis.student.uu.se
13:42:33.439724 arp who-has 172.23.0.1 tell trynis.student.uu.se
13:42:34.439699 arp who-has 172.23.0.1 tell trynis.student.uu.se
13:42:37.470111 arp who-has 172.23.0.1 tell trynis.student.uu.se

I guess this means I don't get a response from ARP telling me the
ethernet address of my gateway. What is the cause of this? Can't
ARP find my machine under the name trynis.student.uu.se? If so,
how do I tell it to send responses to my IP-address instead?

Magnus Johansson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:16:35 +0200
From: Robert Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sharing Devices, NT <-> Linux

I would grately appreciate some help or suggestions in the following
case:

Two mashines, one NTServer40, the other Linux 2.0.35 - the problem is
that I would like to use Hardware on the linux maschine with clients
connected to NTServer with Window drivers.

Some devices just work more comfortable with Window drivers. In one
example, I would like to use the easy working copy software for the
Mustek SCSI scanner - a tool which I cannot find as a linux app.

I have no idea if my wish can be fulfilled or if drivers can generaly be
looped through other mashines.

The other thing is I would like the linux mashine to act as a secondary
server. If the Window mashine fails, all clients should work as if
nothing had happened because they automaticly connect to the linux
server. Is this possible?

Robert

------------------------------

From: Spider Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 5 printing related questions - need help, please?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:42:35 -0700

Denis wrote:

> Hi, If you can answer any of these questions, please do so. Thanks a
> lot! Sorry if it's a lot. I have HPdj 697C, GS version 5.50,
> printtool-3.29-3, printfilters-1.46-3, RH5.1
>
> 1) in the printtool I can have only 300x300 resolution with cdj550
> filter. Is it possible to have 600dpi as my printer's spec supposedly
> have for black&white? (I was told providing -r600x600 in gs command when
> printing doesn't really do it!?)
>
> 2) what is the difference between cdj670 and cdj550 and why cdj670 is
> not available with this latest (?)5.50 distribution of gs?
>
> 3) does having higher resolution mean spending more ink? if yes, than
> is it 4 times more ink for 600x600 than for 300x300 resolutions?
>
> 4) at school on Unix I have in my .cshrc file:
> alias lpe0 "/usr/local/bin/enscript -2r -fCourier8 -L58  -h -G -g
> -pscriptfile.ps \!:1"
> alias lpe "/usr/local/bin/enscript  -fCourier8 -L75  -h -G -g
> -pscriptfile.ps \!:1"
> that help me to transfer _plain_ text to ps format with some convinient
> details. Is anything like that available in Linux for plain text?
> (printtool doesn't do it for the plain text)
>
> 5) What is CMY? CMY+K? CMYK?
> Thanks! (in your reply add a copy to my [EMAIL PROTECTED], please if you
> can.)
> Denis

5.
C= Cyan
M= Magenta
Y= Yellow
K= (I forgot, but it has something to do with the color black).
Basicly these are the colors that are used to produce color pictures.
Sorry I don't have answers for your other questions.