From: James Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: raid problem
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:30:00 GMT

In article <7kacvk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "«Ë¼´¤H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> raid cannot start up automatically at boot time. however, i can start
it by
> typing raidstart /dev/md0 after boot time. why?! i have followed the
> instruction of the software raid how to, e.g,
> 1.    acitivate autodetection in kernel
> 2.    raid device created with persistent-superblock
> 3.    set partition type to fd
>
> pls help!!!
>
> /etc/raidtab
>
> raiddev /dev/md0
>  raid-level  0
>  nr-raid-disks  2
>  persistent-superblock 1
>  chunk-size  4
>  device   /dev/sda2
>  raid-disk  0
>  device   /dev/sdb3
>  raid-disk  1

You also have to make sure the raid0 module is pre-loaded at boot time.

Make a new Ram disk that includes the raid0 module. Something like:

mkinitrd --with=raid0 /boot/initrd-raid-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

Then edit your /etc/lilo.conf and change the

 initrd=/boot/...

line to use the .img file you've just created. Run lilo and reboot.

Details are in the mkinitrd man page.

Unfortuantely the Raid documenation supplied with RedHat 6.0 is not very
clear on this subject.

James Pearson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Samba: Popup-Message to USER (not to computer)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:53:02 +0000

Try LinPopUp.
http://www.littleigloo.org/
Works great for me.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

------------------------------

From: "Puterfixr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network error
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:20:44 -0400

No.  I get Request Timed Out errors.  I know the hardware is good as this
exact configuration was a Win98 client three days ago working just fine.  I
have a link light on the hub, and I've swapped out cables, just in case.
Here is the output of
ifconfig -a:

lo        Link encap:  Local Loopback
           inet  addr:  127.0.0.1 Bcast:  127.255.255.255 Mask:  255.0.0.0
           UP BRIADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:  3584 Metric:  1
           Rx Packets:  12  errors:  0  dropped:  0  overruns:  0
           Tx Packets:  12  errors:  0  dropped:  0  overruns:  0

etho    Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
           inet addr:  192.168.0.5 Bcast:  192.168.0.255 Mask:
255.255.255.255
           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:  1500  METRIC:  1
           Rx Packets:  1067  erorrs:  0  dropped:  0  overruns:  0
           Tx Packets:  0  errors:  0  dropped:  0  overruns:  0
           interrupt:  10  Base address:  0x300

The IRQ and base are correct, as is the IP and the HW address

The Kernel Routing table looks like this:

Destination            Gateway        Genmask
Flags    Metric    Ref    Use    Iface
192.168.0.0          0.0.0.0           255.255.255.0
u            0          0        0      eth0
127.0.0.0              0.0.0.0           255.0.0.0
u            0          0        1       lo
0.0.0.0                  192.168.0.2   0.0.0.0
ug          1          0         0      eth0

(Something doesn't look quite right here...?)

And the /etc/resolve.conf looks likes this:

domain     cpu-incorp.com
nameserver    192.168.0.1

Hope this helps someone help me figure this out...BTW I have the PDC and BDC
routing tables all set for this hardware as it did not change from when the
box was Win98.

Thanks in advance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:7kkisf$1bt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Re: linksys Etherfast 10/100 troubles
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:19:21 +0100

One thing that comes to mind is: did you put the following line in
conf.modules (assuming that the NIC in question is eth0).

alias eth0 tulip

This tells the kernel that when something refers to eth0 (at boot time in
this case) to 'insmod the tulip driver.

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: NT Call Back with Linux ppp connection. Any Help / Ideas?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 08:54:16 -0500

Jo Knight ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: HI,

: I need some help here if possible. At present I connect to the net using
: win95, I dial into a server at work which, when i connect to it, prompts me
: for my phone number. my 95 box then hangs up and waits for the server to
: call it back - therefore enabling me to use the net at my companies expense
: (it is all above board!)....

The README.cbcp in every pppd source package will tell you how to
incorporate the MS CBCP into pppd.  The latest package is ppp-2.3.8 at

cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/

The only callback option is "callback <Phone_Number>" which isn't in the
pppd man pages.  There's a callback script in the ppp-2.3.x/scripts
directory but it doesn't seem to be what you need.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Virtual FTP directories
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:51:18 +0000

Okay, I just installed wu_ftpd on a Solaris 2.6 machine.  True it's
Solaris,
but I think the same philosphy applies to Linux.  Anyway, it runs great
and I am able to ftp into the machine no problem.  What I want to do now

is set up virtual ftp directories so that my virtual domains, i.e.
www.bintzsupply.com can do a ftp://ftp.bintzsupply.com/ and ftp stuff
right out of their directories.  I did the research and added the
following lines to my /etc/ftpaccess file and it appeared to work just
fine, but then no one else was able to ftp into that server.
    Here are the lines I added:

email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# a couple of test things...
# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    rfc822  warn

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

#
# This file is read by inetd when it invokes ftpd/wu-ftpd
#
#
# 06-Jan-97 amo Add the Virtual Domain definitions
#
#

==============
#
# NOTE: It seems that ftp.Virtual_Domain.com only works if it has a
Unique IP as
signed to it
#
# NOTE: the home directory is now  ~ftp/Domain_Name/pub  instead of
~ftp/pub
#
#

==============
#
# This is the RealMachine
#
#virtual 206.71.77.7 root       /export/home/ftp/
#virtual 206.71.77.7 banner     /export/home/ftp/       # welcome.msg
#virtual 206.71.77.7 logfile    /var/adm/xferlog
#
# Add bintzsupply.com
#
#virtual 209.186.76.10 root     /export/home/ftp/virtual/bintzsupply.com

#virtual 209.186.76.10 banner   /export/home/ftp/virtual/bintzsupply.com

# welcome.msg
#virtual 209.186.76.10 logfile  /var/adm/xferlog
#
# Add Virt_3.org
#
#virtual 198.147.196.zz root    /home/ftp/Virt_3.org
#virtual 198.147.196.zz banner  /home/ftp/Virt_3.org/welcome.Virt_3
# welcom
e.msg
#virtual 198.147.196.zz logfile /var/log/xferlog
#
# end of virtual FTP servers

If anyone has had any experience with this or could enlighten me as to
what I did wrong, I would be much appreciative.  Thanks.  Please also
send me the response via email as I get very busy sometimes and don't
have time to check the newsgroups.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Secure network-backup via nfs?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:03:42 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:27:41 -0500,
 Bobby D. Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Frank Sweetser wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > > Also I would prefer to initiate the backup from the dat-machine. Would
> > > that be possible using something like:
> > >
> > > ssh remote-host tar /filesystem-name | dd bs=10240 of=/dev/st0
> >
> > yup.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) What is /dev/st0 ?  Is it a port back to the machine you issued the command
> from?
>
> 2) Suppose you want to use cron to do this every night.  Since cron presumably
> isn't privy to your ssh-agent login (if you happen to be logged in at all), how
> do you manage the passphrase in a cron job?

Easy: you give it a blank passphrase, and then set it so that key can
only do what you want on the remote system.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Luke & Niki Vogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP - What can I tell you to help solve my problem?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:35:07 +1000

Matthew O. Persico wrote:

> So, in order you you to help me solve this, what information should
> I post? Snippets of /var/log/messages?

Matthew,I found that this page http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
was just what I needed to get me connected.

It provides detailed instructions to configure, test, debug, and automate
the process of logging onto the net.

Give it a try .... works for me!

Luke

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the leased-line,

off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net."

------------------------------

From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Change network card
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:46:00 GMT

I am thinking of replacing the old 10M network card with a 100M network
card on a RedHat 4.2 system. How to go about it? Is it possible to
simple change it without recompile/reinstalling the kernel (as my
server is already in production which don't allow much down time)?

Please reply via email if possible.

--
No Junk or Commercial Mail Please, Thanks.
This Email Address is NOT FOR SALE by anyone

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: name server problem
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:43:53 GMT

I am trying to setup named server in my RedHat 6.0. It seems working
fine, except for just one problem. When I try to nslookup to some
outside server, instead of returning the corrent address, it will give
out the following error message,

* ns.xxx.xxx can't find www.netscape.com: Non-existent host/domain

It can ping, telnet, whois etc to that server though. And it can
nslookup those domain names that I have entered in the named.conf file.
Is there anything I've missed? Any hints or suggestions?

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dial-up Networking
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:24:31 GMT

If I understand you correctly (ie. you want a program which dials out from
your Linux box, using a remote client on your Windows box), I can suggest
MasqDialer. http://cpwright.villagenet.com/mserver/ When I tested it a
while ago (with c-mserver-0.0.12), it had a couple of bugs, especially with
leftover zombies. But I understand these have been fixed with the latest
release (c-mserver-0.5.2 at last check).

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
If necessary, however, I can be contacted thru geegs (a) linuxstart DOT com

boomer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <376cfe36@nap-ns1>...

------------------------------

From: guest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't FTP in as a user
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:20:52 -0400

The shell shouldn't have any kind of impact. look to see if one adds the
user to group ftp or not. This should be the determining factor as long
as your not blocking acces via ftpaccess

------------------------------

From: "Rainer Neideck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP-Addresses/hostnames via web
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:35:17 +0200

Hi,

I´m looking for a possibiltiy to manage my IP-addresses and host names via
web. The Information supposed to be stored into a SQL-DB and retrieved via
Browser. Any idea?

Rainer

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Any support for MultiLink PPP ?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 10:32:22 -0500

Daniel Wilson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I know there is support for serial load-balancing, but this isn't what
: I'm looking for.  I'm trying to find a ppp implementation for linux
: which supports multilink PPP over two or more serial devices.

: Does anyone know if anything like this is available ?

: I'm got a lot of time on my hands soon, how much of a project would it
: be to adapt one of the existing implementations do provide such
: functionality ?

Look for isdn4kernel-utils package (available at
ftp://ftp.east.telecom.kz/pub/src/networking/isdn/isdn4k-utils.tar.gz) to

check MP for ISDN, and look
ftp://ftp.east.telecom.kz/pub/src/networking/ppp/multilink/ppp-2.3.5-mp.tgz
for standard async PPP package with multilink and Microsoft Encryption
support.

The MP is still alpha stuff.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make