Linux-Networking Digest #617, Volume #11         Tue, 22 Jun 99 05:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Samba and windows have got me baffeled ???? (peter)
  Re: Can Linux IP stack be "MS Proxy-fied"? ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Network Analyser for IPX Network? ("Al Ofus")
  Linux mrouted for I86 - newbie (Bob Ollerton)
  mrouted for I86 (Bob Ollerton)
  Re: Modem Sharing (Gilford Wimbley)
  Re: sharing netscape bookmark file (Chris Hoffmann)
  Linux support for USB-Ethernet adapter? ("Lawrence M. Hanser")
  Re: mgetty for dial-in blocks outgoing traffic (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Disabling port 111 (RPC) (Mark Price)
  Re: sendmail question -- please help! (Mark Price)
  Re: Set diald only one way (out) on shared voice line? (Gilford Wimbley)
  Re: Using ftp in windows to connect to linux ("Ferdinand V. Mendoza")
  Linux and CableModems (Andrew George)
  web site filtering (Patrick)
  which firewall is the best? (Patrick)
  Help!!!  eth0 entered Promiscuous mode??? (Dean Pan)
  Re: Disabling port 111 (RPC) (Bill Unruh)
  about gateway (McCoy)
  Re: Leafnode problems (Marc Mutz)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Subject: Samba and windows have got me baffeled ????
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 05:18:49 GMT

This is strange... I followed everything in the how-to's and also on
some other web sites that I was told to visit

http://www.eunuchs.org/linux/samba/

and

http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html

Samba and windows 98 are still giving me problems.  I think the
problems might be on the Win98 side.

The machines could: ping each other, windows could telnet to the linux
machine (but I could not log in as root)

The linux machine could see the windows, when I type :

smbconfig -L localhost

Windows networking could not see linux or even itself !!!

the smb.conf is more or less stock, when I made a any changes it would
stop working.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the "guest" line in the
smb.conf, or the encrypted password in win 98 ???

What do you think ?

BUT I don't see the reason I have no networking at all on the windows
machine...I'm using TCP/IP, should I add something else ???

Also, could someone please post their smb.conf, that might help

Thanks,

peter

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux IP stack be "MS Proxy-fied"?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:31:11 -0700

Why mess with winsock if there is ip_masquerading?

------------------------------

From: "Al Ofus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network Analyser for IPX Network?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:04:24 -0400

Hello all,
    can anyone help me? I recently had a problem with a large IPX LAN.
Machines where data storming, running the wrong protocols, frames etc...
    So does anyone know of any software out there that can analyse a network
(packet sniffer, traffic monitor), but it must be able to work with IPX as
well as other protocols? Or if someone can tell me how to use existing
software that comes with Linux to analyse an IPX network I'll be very
grateful.
Thanks
Al

------------------------------

From: Bob Ollerton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux mrouted for I86 - newbie
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:54:57 GMT

I am a Linux newbie and I need to run mrouted on a Toshiba Satellite
2540CDS.  Has anyone built mrouted for Linux running on an I86?

Does anyone have  instructions on how to acquire, build, and install it.

------------------------------

From: Bob Ollerton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mrouted for I86
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:49:01 GMT

I am a Linux newbie and I need to run mrouted on a Toshiba Satellite
2540CDS.  Has anyone built mrouted for Linux running on an I86?

If so, could you provide instructions on how to acquire, build, and
install it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,tw.bbs.comp.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Sharing
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:46:53 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:54:07 +0800, "Becky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am a newbie of Linux. I am setting up a server using SuSE with windows
>NT machines clients.   Is it possible to install a modem in the linux
>server and allow the clients to access the internet?
>If yes, what package can i use?
>Thx ...
>
>Becky

Yes.  I did this for a while.  The hassle is how do tell the linux
machine to connect to the internet?  If your NT users don't mind
telnetting in to the linux  server to bring up the connection, then
it's pretty painless.  If you want it to be all automatic, (that is,
so the linux machine dials on demand and hangs up after a lull) this
requires a program called diald.  Diald can be a bit troublesome to
set up, but I succeeded so it can't be that hard  ;-)

But the first step is, as others have said, set up ip masquerading or
ip chains.  (I use the former and don't know anything about the
latter)

good luck
GW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Hoffmann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: sharing netscape bookmark file
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:24 GMT

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:18:31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've set up a Linux box (RH 5.2) as an IP masquerading firewall server
> for my home LAN with 3 PCs (OS/2, Win98) to share Internet access.
> Samba is running on the Linux box to share files among the PCs.
> (All PCs on the net can access a directory tree on Linux box.)
>
> Is it possible to (simultaneously) share the netscape bookmark file
> between some PCs?  (but I guess it's not ...)  If possible, the
> shared bookmark file will be placed in a public data directory in
> Linux box that will stay on 24/7 for uninterrupted internet access.

The pleasant answer is YES!

<Cover own ass> Although I've only tried it using a shared partition between
Windows & OS/2 with only one OS booted at a time.</Cover own ass>

You just open the bookmark menu in Netscape, select "bookmarks" i.e. bring up
the bookmark "management" window, from there use "file.. Open" and navigate to
your shared bookmark location & open it. Netscape will then always use that
bookmark file.

I'm using the same bookmark file between Netscape/2, Communicator/2 and
Netscape 4.06 (Win95) I can't see why it wouldn't work across a network.

Good luck!

Chris.

There was a point to this post,
but it has temporarily escaped the writer's mind.
(With apologies to Douglas Adams)

------------------------------

From: "Lawrence M. Hanser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux support for USB-Ethernet adapter?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:28:46 GMT

Dear Friends:

I'm using a cable modem with a usb-ethernet adapter to connect to the
internet.  Any support in Linux for usb-ethernet adapters?

Thanks,

Larry

btw:  I'm using RH 5.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: mgetty for dial-in blocks outgoing traffic
Date: 21 Jun 1999 19:14:42 GMT

In <7klh4q$b6n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Unfortunately, using mgetty for incoming calls has blown out my outgoing
>ppp capability. I get the message that the system lacks kernel support
>for ppp.

Yes. You MUST use the lock option for pppd. mgetty watches the line. If
it sees something (aqnything ) on th eline, it checks to see if there is
a lock file. If there is not, it assumes that it is supposed to handle
the call and tries to answer the line. As pppd tries to use the line, it
finds garbage in its conflict with mgetty. pppd then issues the error
message it issues for any and all problems -- ie you may not have pppd
compiled in your kernel. ( That message is almost always the wrong thing
to say.) So, make sure that you have the option
lock
in /etc/ppp/options.
That's it!

>* Is it possible to use mgetty and ppp on the same serial port?

See above. It works well. (I use it all the time).
>* I haven't "compiled" ppp into my kernel as far as I know. My
>experiences before tinkering with mgetty led me to think that ppp worked
>"out of the box" with RH5.2.
Ignore. Taht is pppd's standard error message whenever anything goes
wrong-- anything.

------------------------------

From: Mark Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disabling port 111 (RPC)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:54:44 -0700

> Hi. I'm a native BSD user trying to get a linux box airtight (only port
> 22 open).

Just don't start the portmapper. Under linux I'd guess you would want to
move /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap out of the way.

Cheers, Mark.

------------------------------

From: Mark Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail question -- please help!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:45:49 -0700

mist wrote:

> Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
> >Thanks for your response, Andrzej.
> >
> >You are correct, the sendmail daemon has them in it's own queue.  here is a
> >sample line from "sendmail -bp":
> >
> >KAA00879      706 Mon Jun 21 10:59 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >                 (host map: lookup (currentdirections.com): deferred)
> >                                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >Why is this deferred?
> >

> Most likely because it's set up that way.  It may have been told to
> queue mail on startup or via it's configuration (Something like
> HoldExpensive being set with "E" set on the local mailer flags - it
> shouldn't really be like that though.).  Either that or there could be a
> problem with DNS lookups.

As far as I can remember this is more do to with DNS lookups of MX
records.
Take a look in syslog, and also run sendmail -v so it can show you what
it is doing.

eg.

sendmail -v [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sendmail is probably configured to use DNS and you may to rewrite the mc
file use hosts only if you do not use a DNS. If you do you DNS make sure
the MX records are set up correctly. ie use nslookup.

set the type=MX to only show Mail Exhanger records.

If you are not using DNS or you do not have a direct connection to the
net, you will probably want to use a SMARTHOST. ie a mail gateway within
your firewall that does have access to the outside world. You simply
forward all mail that is outside of your domain to that host.

Hope that helps.

Here's an example from my machine, I've commented out some of the names
and ip addresses...

[root@ravenwood /root]# nslookup
Default Server:  nameserver.XXXX.com
Address:  X.X.X.X

> set type=MX

> currentdirections.com

Server:  nameserver.XXXX.com
Address:  X.X.X.X

Non-authoritative answer:
currentdirections.com   preference = 10, mail exchanger =
mail.currentdirections.com

currentdirections.com   preference = 20, mail exchanger =
mail.buckeyeweb.com

currentdirections.com   nameserver = HAL9002.buckeyeweb.com
currentdirections.com   nameserver = HAL9003.buckeyeweb.com
mail.currentdirections.com      internet address = 207.122.180.21
HAL9002.buckeyeweb.com  internet address = 207.122.180.200
HAL9003.buckeyeweb.com  internet address = 207.122.180.250

[root@ravenwood /root]# /usr/lib/sendmail -v
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Test Message about sendmail failure.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Connecting to
mail.currentdirections.com. via esmtp...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: Set diald only one way (out) on shared voice line?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:36:35 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:09:06 -0400, root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I have upgraded to diald 0.99-1 and it seems to be working almost
>perfectly!  But - I am leaving my server running, and need to share my
>internet connection with the voice line in our home.  diald always answers
>the phone on the first ring, which is not a good thing when there is a human
>on the other end.  The screaming modem gets rid of telephone solicitors
>really well, ;-) but I don't think our friends and family like it too much.
>I am sure this is a very common problem with thousands of linux users who do
>not have dedicated internet access, and need to share dial up access with
>voice telephone service.
>
>       What fifo or other command can I send to diald, so that it still dials out
>as normal, but does not answer incoming calls?  The man page or even the
>diald home www page is not clear on this?  Thanks in advance for any
>ideas...
>
>--
>  .~.         Powered by SuSE Linux 6.0
>  /V\         Sometimes, you get more than you paid for...
>_// \\_       Return address is for spambots.  True address is:
> (\ /)        garyc at istar dot ca
> ^`~'^        Gary C. P. Eng.  DSP & Embedded software engineer

Actually, I *think* it is your modem that is answering the phone.  If
you can find a reference on the standard "AT" type commands for
modems, there might be one that can tell the modem not to answer the
phone.  Or the command might be modem specific.  If you do find one,
you can just use echo to send it to your modem on system boot up.

echo  ATwhatever  > /dev/modem

I could be wrong though.

good luck.
GW

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using ftp in windows to connect to linux
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:16:43 +0400

>  And how do you
> transfer from the linux boxes to the win98 box?

Samba.

Or:

You can install an  FTP client like BulletProof in
your Win98 and ftp from there -provided you can
ftp the Linux box successfully from the DOS prompt.

Lastly, find an FTP server that could run with your
WIN98 if you really want to FTP from the Linux box.

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew George)
Subject: Linux and CableModems
Date: 22 Jun 1999 07:14:46 GMT

If someone could provide me with information about how to go about getting
setup with cable-modem access for linux, i'd appreciate it.   i'd also
like to have a static IP address for this connection.  any and all
information is appreciated, especially pertaining to ISPs that can offer
this service in Fairfax County (Northern Virginia).  Thanks!

- Andrew
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick)
Subject: web site filtering
Date: 22 Jun 1999 07:02:50 GMT

which linux software can act as a firewall and
can filter pornography web sites?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick)
Subject: which firewall is the best?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 07:00:21 GMT

From: Dean Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help!!!  eth0 entered Promiscuous mode???
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:21:10 GMT

Hi!  I installed Mandrake Linux 6.0 on my computer, and I have
3C509 NIC.  I configered the network, yet I got the message when
I booted up.  I have been running 3C509 at work for some time, and
never seen such problem (can NOT get online)  I have been following the
discussion regarding the topic, yet could't get a clear solution.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 22 Jun 1999 07:28:34 GMT

>On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:41:43 GMT, Brad Clawsie
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Hi. I'm a native BSD user trying to get a linux box airtight (only port
>>22 open).
>>
>>I'm having problems figuring out how to disable port 111 on RH 5.2.
>>Simple config file question for you networking vets I'm sure.

You want to not run portmap.

In /etc/rc.d/rc?.d (?=0 to 6) you want to change the
S??portmap links to K??portmap
Then do
/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap stop
Make sure that you are not running nfs or mountd or they will ot work
without portmap.

------------------------------

From: McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about gateway
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:41:48 +0800

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:07:46 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Leafnode problems

Greg de Freitas wrote:

> Collapse/expand the newsserver tree to refresh
Did that already, even restarted netscape - no avail. The Leafnote
posting remains the only one in each group.

> > the messages just fine, but there is only a fraction of all articles listed.
> Maybe the selected fraction ?
> Under 'View'/'Messages' the 'fraction' could be:
> All
> New
> Threads with Unread
> Watched Threads with Unread
> Ignored Threads

That was in rtin, not in netscape. To sum up and clarify:
1.) In rtin only around 10% of the downloaded articles show up (prob.
the ones that did not cause the 'bad overview record (...)' error).
2.) in netscape 4.08 0% of the downloaded articles show up.
3.) netscape 2.01 expands the news tree for localhost, then collapes it
immediately. If you are fast enough to pick a group, then there is
nothing in it.

> > I would try fetch -f, but not knowing if it helps, I dared not, because of the
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ safe, do it at cheap rate, may fix something, harmless
> fun ;-)

I'll try that, but with little hope...

Marc