  Nets sharing IP Addresses ("José Alfonso Gómez Martín")

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: NFS Install on RedHat 6.0
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:07:15 +0100

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ok.  I am having problems getting RH 6.0 to properly export a NFS share
> so I can install from it.  Here is the situation.  I have RH 6.0
> installed on my main tower, w/ copious amounts of hard drive space.  I
> intend to copy the cdroms of the various distro's I'm playing w/ to
> the /pub directory.  I have several 486's w/ LinkSys Ether16 cards, but
> no cdrom.  I have one of the 486's w/ Slackware 4.0 on it (before it's
> cdrom crapped out), and I am trying to iron out the wrinkles of NFS
> permissions btwn the slakware box and the rh box so I can install in
> the rest of the 486's.  I am using the home network address of
> 192.168.1.0 w/ netmask 255.255.255.0.  My /etc/hosts on the rh box
> looks like:
>
> /etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1      localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 192.168.1.1    shaitan.milanuk.net     shaitan
> 192.168.1.3    sammael.milanuk.net     sammael
> 192.168.1.4    asmodean.milanuk.net    asmodean
> 192.168.1.5    lanfear.milanuk.net     lanfear
>
> My hosts_allow file is somewhat unclear at this time.  I would really
> rather not have ALL:ALL in it; can I
> have 'nfs:192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0' to allow nfs to the local network?
>
> /etc/hosts.allow
>
> portmap: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
> # per Caldera 2.2 manual ?
>
> My /etc/hosts.deny is currently blank
>
> I would not like to give widespread access in my exports file,
> so here it is:
>
> /etc/exports
>
> /pub    *.milanuk.net  (ro)

I've limited mine by simply having: (my lan is 192.168.96.*):

/usr/doc        192.168.96.0/24(ro)
/cdimg          192.168.96.0/24(ro)
/cdspool        192.168.96.0/24(ro)

I haven't bothered restricting portmap; hopefully[1] it shouldn't cause a
problem. However if anyone knows different, let me know. :)

[1] Famous last words ;)

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (gordo)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: pppd scripting and diald
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:39:59 GMT

I'll post portions of the log file later.

What I can say is that IT Does connect
(....'' ATDT2539463100 TIMEOUT 60 CONNTECT '\d\c\' ogin: duanez
assword: []" ) but not all the time! It seems to take several tries to
get the ISP to send CONNECT and request the login.

Sometimes I can get connected really latet at night after about a
zillion tries; then, early in the morning.

If I disconnect, I can NEVER get re-connected right away. What's the
script  to re-initialize the modem?  And should I care about seeing
old pppd attempts remaining in the ps que?

------------------------------

From: Daniel Stolk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My machine answers to other IP addresses
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:54:07 -0900

Hi, I have a network with all internet traffic going through my Red Hat
6.0
server which is connected to the internet via a DSL line.  I use the
192.168.1.X
series of IP addresses for my intranet and my server has an address of
A.B.C.187 that I got from my ISP.
But when I ping A.B.C.160 or A.B.C.191, my
machine replies.  I disconnected the server from the internet and from
my
intranet and pinged those two addresses from my server and got a
reply.  My question is, why in the world does my machine answer to those
two
IP addresses?

Thanks for any help, Daniel Stolk

------------------------------

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question about Linux and resolv.conf
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:14:12 GMT

Does Netscape have an option to start off-line?

--
Principle of Minimum Access: "That which is not explicitly permitted
is denied."

And now we return to our regularly scheduled,
uncommonly entertaining thread...

From: Will Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:01:42 -0700

Hello,

        I have a few boxes on a private network for running some batch jobs
where security is not a concern. Is there a way to allow root access via
telnet, rsh and rlogin?

        I have tried modifying files in /etc/pam.d as well as /etc/securettys
and creating a .rhosts file in /root and nothing seems to work. I know this is
absurd from a security standpoint but the boxes are on their own lan.

Thanks,

Will

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben W.)
Subject: Re: How Do I Set up a Two-Computer Network?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:53:38 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 01:54:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
wrote:

Here is the part I am confused about:
   If I can't ping the machines, how can I set up Samba?  Is Samba not
to be installed only after the LAN is successfully set up?

Ben

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben W.)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:53:40 GMT

On 8 Jul 1999 02:15:41 GMT, "wea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Here are the settings for the Linux box from netcfg (ran under KDE).
The IP address for the Linux box is 192.168.0.1.  The subnet mask
is 255.255.255.0.  The broadcast address is 192.168.0.255.

"Names" section
Hostname: 192-168-0-1
Domain: .192-168-0-1
Search for hostnames in additional domains: (None)
Nameservers: (None)

"Hosts" section
I.P.                      Host               Domain
127.0.0.1            localhost         LOCALHOST.LOCALDOMAIN
192.168.0.1        192-168-0-1    .192-168-0-1
192.168.0.3        192-168-0-3    .192-168-0-1

"Interfaces" section
Device           IP                   proto       atboot    active
lo                    127.0.0.1       none       yes         active
eth0                192.168.0.1   none       yes         active

"Routing" section
All blank except for Default Gateway device: eth0

Finally, here are the settings for the network under Windows 98.
The IP address for this machine is 192.168.0.3.  The subnet mask is
255.255.255.0.  Unlike the Linux box, I see no option to specify a
broadcast address.  I do not know if this affects the network setup.

I.P. address: 192.168.0.3
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Host name: 192-168-0-3
Domain: .192-168-0-1

All other tabs and options are left alone.  Again, the biggest problem
is pinging.  I can ping the machines if both are running Windows 98;
however, ping is not possible with 192.168.0.1 running Linux and
192.168.0.3 running Windows 98.

Regards,
Ben

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:08:33 -0700

> > On 7 Jul 1999 18:48:36 GMT, Fredrich P. Maney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > > That has far more to do with the fact that Baseball was invented in
the
> > > USA than any sort of national egotism.

May I suggest to watch your own History Channel?
Baseball, this most US game of all, was actually invented in --- guess
what --- in GB.

However, I don't quite comprehend how you play baseball in Linux????

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: David Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: NFS PROBLEMS
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:02:18 -0700

Yes the files are 755 so that is not the problem.

I will try that other thing though and tell you how it goes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PPP: Got dynamic IP, no ping
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:22:57 GMT

I've been attempting to make a PPP connection to my ISP via my new
Linux box.  (Windows can connect to it just fine using dial-up
networking, but I'm sick of Windows.)  The kernel's been recompiled,
the correct modules have been loaded, and it seems that it works
right.  The ISP authenticates and even returns its own IP address and
my new dynamic IP.  I've sent the daemon.* and kern.* messages
to /var/log/daemon and looked at them--it seems that the PPP connection
is being established because the kernel is reporting what looks like
the appropriate garbage ("~y}#.!}!}!} }8}!}", etc.).

But I can't ping!

ifconfig says that I have two connections--the loopback and the PPP.
It lists my IP address and that of the ISP (and 6-8 packets sent and
received, so I know that it HAS been working), but, when I try to ping
the ISP's IP (I'm not bothering with DNS just yet), I get nothing at
all--it just seems to freeze until I press Ctrl-C.  Then I check
ifconfig, and it says all those packets were sent, but none were
received.

I know the connection is still up because I can pick up the phone and
hear the carrier.  I think I must be missing some vital, simple thing,
but (since I'm new at this Linux thing) I have no idea what it is.

Can some gracious soul help?

- Neil (the newbie Linux expert-wanna-be)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Holger van Koll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Got dynamic IP, no ping
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:43:48 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb in Nachricht
<7m5elh$h10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>when I try to ping
>the ISP's IP (I'm not bothering with DNS just yet), I get nothing at
>all--it just seems to freeze until I press Ctrl-C.

It could be that that machine does not answer to ping.

Try
telnet mail-server.of.your.isp 25
or 110

Do you get any response?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Allow FTP access but disable interactive logins
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 18:35:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marius van Wyk (remove NOSPAM.)) wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:25:19 GMT, in comp.os.linux.networking
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Hi, I am running Red Hat 6.0 and I was wondering if anyone knows how
> > configure Red Hat so that it allows a real user (ie. not an
anonymous
> > user) to login through FTP but does not allow that same user to
login
> > interactively, ie. using telnet, etc.  In an attempt to achieve this
> > created a test account which has the following line in the passwd
file:

> > test:x:522:522:Test Account:/home/test:/dev/null
>
> You must add /dev/null as a valid shell in /etc/shells. There is an
option someplace in
> ftp to disable this security option, but I can't remember for the life
of me where.

> Another option to disallow people would be to edit /etc/securetty and
only have local ttys
> in there.
>
> There is however the problem that people will still (depending on the
setup) be able to
> rlogin and rsh to the machine, but most versions of these programs use
the same version of
> auth as login. You just ay need to test it to make sure.
>
> Better yet, remove rsh and rlogin from your services file.
>
> There is another handy tip, changing:
> > test:x:522:522:Test Account:/home/test:/dev/null
> to:
> > test:x:522:522:Test Account:/home/test/./:/dev/null
>
> Will do a chroot (For ultimate security) on /home/test/ (See your
ftpd.conf man pages for
> this)
>
> PS: Use /dev/false instead of /dev/null, it's an executable as well as
being more apltly
> named.
>
> Anyway, hope this helped.
> M.

Thank you so much for the response, you really got me pointed in the
right direction and my problem is solved.

        Thanks,
         Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Linux - Which One?
Date: 9 Jul 1999 19:24:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| however - most distributions of linux are pretty good/ and close in
| features -
|
| choose 1 of: caldera, mandrake, or suse - i believe these all use the
| 2.2.x kernel

As do Redhat and Slackware.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

From: "José Alfonso Gómez Martín" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nets sharing IP addresses
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 21:08:34 +0200

    Hi guys, I have a terrible doubt, more than a doubt, a problem.Can
you help me ? I have two clients that share IP addresses. I would like
to connect to their LANs at the same time and see the computers behind
the ppp connections.

    May I connect my linux box to two different private nets who share
IP addresses ? Is that possible ? May I used any kind of "bidirectional
proxy" to translate addresses ? I have heard something about NAT ? Is
that the answer ?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I´m in a terrible mess.

Thanks in advance to all the community.

Alfonso

------------------------------

From: Todd Kaehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems getting connected to ppp first time.
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:24:31 -0700

Hi,

I am having a problem connecting to our PPP server the first time. I have
the problem with RedHat 5.2 and RedHat 6.0 - The example at the end is with
5.2 but when I upgrade to 6.0 the problem continued.  Sometimes I need to
try 2 or 3 times before I attach (The connection drops with an loopback
error).  If I redial I get in.  From the messages it looks like the kernel
is taking too long to register the ppp line.  The attached file shows a
sequence where I needed 2 tries to connect.  Notice that the first attempt
fails before the:

kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)

happens.  Then the second attempt (which is successful) happens before the
"ppp line discipline successfully unregistered".

I did not have this problem until I started a news feed to this machine
using inn.  When I stop inn the problem seems to go away.

I am trying to replace our Solaris PPP server with this Linux PPP server
but will not be able to if users need to try to connect 2 or 3 times.  Any
suggestions?  How do I make sure the kernel ppp line is up before the pppd
drops the connection?  As far as I am concerned it can just stay up (it
does not need to come up and down all the time).  Solaris just keeps the
ppp network configured...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
--
Todd Kaehler       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.psmfc.org/
Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission

=========messages file========

Jun  4 06:46:28 mola mgetty[9938]: data dev=ttyS0, pid=9938, caller='none',
conn
='24000/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS', name='', cmd='/bin/login', user='pppuser'
Jun  4 06:46:29 mola PAM_pwdb[9938]: (login) session opened for user
pppuser by
(uid=0)
Jun  4 06:46:30 mola login[9938]: DIALUP AT ttyS0 BY pppuser
Jun  4 06:46:30 mola login[9938]: LOGIN ON ttyS0 BY pppuser
Jun  4 06:46:30 mola PAM_pwdb[9938]: (login) session closed for user
pppuser

*** NOTE: Connection dropped here...

Jun  4 06:46:36 mola kernel: CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the
Universit
y of California
Jun  4 06:46:36 mola kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel
allocation)
Jun  4 06:46:36 mola kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright
1995
Caldera, Inc.
Jun  4 06:46:36 mola kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
Jun  4 06:47:00 mola mgetty[9941]: data dev=ttyS0, pid=9941, caller='none',
conn
='26400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS', name='', cmd='/bin/login', user='pppuser'
Jun  4 06:47:01 mola PAM_pwdb[9941]: (login) session opened for user
pppuser by
(uid=0)
Jun  4 06:47:01 mola login[9941]: DIALUP AT ttyS0 BY pppuser
Jun  4 06:47:01 mola login[9941]: LOGIN ON ttyS0 BY pppuser
Jun  4 06:47:01 mola PAM_pwdb[9941]: (login) session closed for user
pppuser
Jun  4 06:47:02 mola kernel: registered device ppp0
Jun  4 06:47:02 mola pppd[9941]: pppd 2.3.5 started by pppuser, uid 2114
Jun  4 06:47:02 mola pppd[9941]: Using interface ppp0
Jun  4 06:47:02 mola pppd[9941]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Jun  4 06:47:05 mola pppd[9941]: found interface eth0 for proxy arp
Jun  4 06:47:05 mola pppd[9941]: local  IP address 205.230.28.5
Jun  4 06:47:05 mola pppd[9941]: remote IP address 205.230.28.38

*** NOTE - Connected to PPP sucessfully here...

Jun  4 06:47:27 mola pppd[9941]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jun  4 06:47:27 mola pppd[9941]: Modem hangup
Jun  4 06:47:27 mola pppd[9941]: Connection terminated.
Jun  4 06:47:27 mola pppd[9941]: Exit.
Jun  4 06:49:02 mola kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully
unregistered

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:19:08 +0800
From: Bayee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Transparent Proxy - ipchains question

Hi,

   I have successfully setup IP Masquerading on my Linux box. I have
also setup the rule (using ipchains) to redirect all incoming packets to
route to a local process (a simple socket program) listening at port
9002.

     % ipchains -A input xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -j REDIRECT 9002

   My question is after graping all these packets, how can the local
process know where is the original destination that this packet intent
to go to ? Can I achieve this at socket programing level ? (using
SOCK_PACKET ?)

Bayee

------------------------------

From: "José Alfonso Gómez Martín" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 20:23:56 +0200

Hi Guys, I have a little question for you. Someone told i cannot do
this, but... Let me show you my problem.

      PC A1      PC A2      PC A3 + modem a
      Addr : X     Addr : Y    Addr : Z
      -----          -----         ------                       line a
      |      |          |       |       |         |
________________________
      -----          -----
======                                                    |
          |                 |

========================
__ | __
                       Net
|          |

|__  __|  Linux Box + 2 modems
      PC B1      PC B2      PC  B3  + modem
b                               |
      Addr : X    Addr : Y   Addr :
A                                                |
      -----          -----         ------                        line
b                    |        Address X and Y exist at the same time in
two
      |      |          |       |       |         |
_________________________|        different locations, at least while
the connections
      -----          -----
======                                                             are
up.
          |                 |                |
         ------------------------
                     Net B

I have two independent nets sharing some IP addresses. I cannot change
those addresses, but i would like to connect my linux box to those nets
using two modems. Is it possible ? May i address PCs B1 and PC A1 at the
same time ? May i use any translating software or install any kind of
bidirectional "proxy" in PCs  A3 and B3 to do that translation ?

Someone told me something about NAP ? Would it be useful ?

I know those are a lot of questions, but i am in a terrible mess. I
would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance to all of you.