Linux-Networking Digest #887, Volume #11         Tue, 13 Jul 99 20:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  PPP Problem ("Bill A. K.")
  DMZ ("Netway")
  Re: Samba--the basics (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Some help with IPchains? (Joachim Feise)
  ip aliasing on linux (Ling Cherd Ho)
  Re: NFS & WinLose98 (Sitaram Chamarty)
  rc.inet1 and two nic's ("Goofy")
  Executing program on an NFS partition... (David Pollack)
  Re: Answer: ipfwadm !! (Dave Packard)
  Re: count connected people with apache (Dave Packard)
  Kingston KNE-2000T+ and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ipfwadm won't forward masqueraded packets thru I/O rules (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Shareware DNS Server source???? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  DHCP, 10BaseT, RH 6.0? ("Brad Staff")
  SynOptics Communications (zeek)
  Re: embedded linux in a specific application... (Sitaram Chamarty)
  How to change incomming NFS connection port number - URGENT !!!!  ("Terrence
Vergauwen")
  printing html from the command line ("BWhite")
  Re: HELP ME !!! (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: @home questions (Ed Wilts)
  Re: PPP connect: ping & traceroute but no data?? (Fred Farleigh)
  Re: Shareware DNS Server source???? (Alan Coopersmith)
  exporting files systems via NFS? ("BWhite")
  mgetty,ppp,security ("Jason Wilcox")

From: "Bill A. K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Problem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:46:39 -0400

Hello,
     Can someone help me with my PPP problem? Here's what happens:
I set up PPP on Red Hat 5.2, I get on to my ISP once perfectly, and then
next
reboot/startup shutdown, i lose my PPP! It dials, but it drops the
connection right after the password validation, i've tried Red Hat's network
configurator, i've written scripts that use chat and pppd and i've even
tried XISP, but nothing works right.
can someone please help me?

thanks

Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Netway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DMZ
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:42:13 +0200

Hi guy's

is somebody able to tell me if is possible to do the following:

I want to make a server public on the internet.

The ip-address is i.e. : 10.0.0.1 ( DMZ )

For the people of the outside world this machine should be reachable under
the registered address 212.89.92.3.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: Samba--the basics
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:24:36 GMT

What flavor of linux are you using and kernel number?  Whats the
physical config of your network? i.e. ethernet? thin net or twisted,
how many machines and thier OS's?

------------------------------

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Some help with IPchains?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:17:17 -0700

Kevin Brown wrote:

> >Hey all!  I'm trying to get IP masq working on my Linux machine, and
> >have encountered some problems.  I'm using the 2.2.10 kernel, now, but
> >I can't get ipchains working.  I've compiled the kernel with
> >IP_Firewalls and etc, as requested by both the IP Masq HOWTO and the
> >IP Chains how to, then unzipped and install the IP chains module.
> >However, when I try to execute any ipchain commands, all I get is
> >"ipchains: Protocol not available."  Any thoughts?
>
> From the IP chains HOWTO:
> "You need a kernel which has the new IP firewall chains in it. You can
> tell if the kernel you are running right now has this installed
> by looking for the file `/proc/net/ip_fwchains'. If it exists, you're
> in. "  I've never seen this file, and I've recompiled the kernel,
> multiple versions, a number of times.

Well, the only explanation is that you are booting the wrong kernel, then.
cat /proc/version tells you when the kernel you are running was compiled.
Make sure you copy your new kernel to the place where you put your kernels
(probably /boot), update lilo.conf and run lilo.

Good luck

-Joe
Joachim Feise         Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer." - RIP DeForest Kelley
http://eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,4899,00.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ling Cherd Ho)
Subject: ip aliasing on linux
Date: 13 Jul 1999 21:28:50 GMT

Hi

I am trying to assigned an additional ip to the only network card
on my linux machine.

I tried the following:

ifconfig eth0:1 192.11.196.252 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 192.11.255.255

and my current ip is 56.0.0.72 .

ip-alias is installed:

the /proc/modules shows:
ip_alias           1            3 (autoclean)

ifconfig shows:
eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:04:06:F6
          inet addr:56.0.0.72  Bcast:56.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          RX packets:113977661 errors:33 dropped:33 overruns:0
          TX packets:103169825 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xff80

eth0:1    Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:04:06:F6
          inet addr:192.11.196.252  Bcast:192.11.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

but when I tried to ping it, there is no respond.

I have also tried to add an ip in the same network (56.0.0.73) and
get no reply from ping either.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
ling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: NFS & WinLose98
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:29:03 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:25:14 GMT, Drew Northup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Any body know of a good (and possibly free) NFS client the runs on the
>windows platforms?

Good there must be, free I don't know.  Meanwhile, it may be
easier to install Samba on the (presumably Unix) server you want
and have Windows share those directories in the normal WIndows-ish
way.

------------------------------

From: "Goofy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rc.inet1 and two nic's
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:26:58 +0200

Hello all ya linux ppl!

I've got two nic's in my slack 3.6 box. Both nic's are working and I can
see both networks, so what's the problem?

Well how do I add eth1 to rc.inet1 so that I won't loose my setup on
next reboot?
(I have to move the box soon :-))

And the bonus question. How do I setup the network so that when someone
asks for an ip on the other net, the request gets forwarded from eth0 to
eth1 and the otherway around?

I.e. 192.168.1.2 asks 192.168.1.3(eth0) for 192.168.0.2 then
192.168.0.3(eth1) should takeover the request to 192.168.0.2.

// Da Newbie

------------------------------

From: David Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Executing program on an NFS partition...
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:39:59 -0700

I have a problem with NFS. I can't execute any programs. I can read and
write just fine . my /etc/exports file options are (rw,no_root_squad)
and my /etc/fstab options are user,auto,rw. Also, I can telnet into the
server and execute any program on the same partition so the binaries are
working. BTW, both machines are pretty much stock RH6 machines. The
client does have an upgraded kernel (2.2.10) but that is the only
signicficant difference.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:54:41 -0700
From: Dave Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Answer: ipfwadm !!

RH 6.0 could be worth the upgrade at some point anyway - but beware that ipfwadm
has changed its name to ipfwadm-wrapper! The configuration tools in 6.0 are pretty
cool and you can pick it up at Costco for about $30 (not the RH support version,
but it comes with some Linux books on the CD).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:56:30 -0700
From: Dave Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: count connected people with apache

Since www service is "stateless" this number would be worthless. Maybe you
could write a script to check for differing IP addresses that have hit the
page in the last 10-15 min.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kingston KNE-2000T+ and Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:01:53 GMT

I've run across a couple of these NICs and need to know if you have
gotten this Kingston 10T card to work with Linux.  It is a fairly plain
card, but I haven't been able to find any info on it in the usual places
(HOW-TOs, etc.).

Please help...thanks!

-David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: ipfwadm won't forward masqueraded packets thru I/O rules
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:29:01 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:21:39 -0500, Scott Thomason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I hope someone can help me before I go crazy. I’m having trouble getting

><--- Output from “ifconfig” on firewall machine --->
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:D2:EA:35
>          inet addr:192.168.2.1  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>
>sl0       Link encap:Serial Line IP
>          inet addr:192.168.2.1  P-t-P:200.90.100.1  Mask:255.255.255.0

Apart from the fact that you seem to have the same IP address for
both eth0 and sl0 on your firewall, I also am not sure if you've
given the all-important

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

command anywhere.  Stock RH 5.2 comes with this disabled, IIRC.

Good luck, and let us know if this works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Shareware DNS Server source????
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:21:33 GMT

Hello,

    Does anybody know how I can get my hands on
the source for a shareware DNS server (preferably
multi-threaded)???

Thnak you,

Vasili N Galchin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Brad Staff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCP, 10BaseT, RH 6.0?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:02:06 -0500

Has anyone succeeded in setting up Red Hat 6.0 on a 10BaseT network using
DHCP?  The Workstation installation appears to go smoothly, finds my network
card, allows me to select DHCP, etc.  When booting, "lo" and "eth0"
supposedly initialize properly, but I am unable to ping other machines on
the network.  The light on the 10BaseT hub comes on briefly when "eth0"
initializes, but is off otherwise.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad

------------------------------

From: zeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks
Subject: SynOptics Communications
Date: 13 Jul 1999 22:19:10 GMT

Greetings,

I'm having great difficulty reprogramming a SynOptics LattisHub 2813. I'm
using a regular "out of the box" DB9 cable (only a gender bender adapter is
connected) and interfacing via the minicom program on a Linux box. When
I reset the hub, I see this...

===================start========================
Model 281X IP/IPX BOOT PROM Rev: D, Date: Feb 03 1993
Power-On Self Test
Test #1 Boot ROM Checksum Test...Boot ROM Checksum Test Passed
Test #2 LCA Test...LCA Test Passed
Test #3 Memory Test
  Memory Test Passed
Test #4 FLASH Checksum Test...FLASH Checksum Test Passed
Test #5  EEPROM Checksum Test...EEPROM Checksum Test Passed
  On Board : Local Image Version 5.1.0
Test #6 CNMI Test...CNMI Test Passed
Test #7 NIC Test...NIC Test Passed
  Type ^C to go to the Boot Menu

Image File Loading From FLASH...Loaded Image

***************************************
*   Copyright (c) 1992                *
*   SynOptics Communications, Inc.    *
*   All Rights Reserved               *
*   Date: May 21 1993, Time: 19:40:14 *
*   Model 281X Version   5.1.0        *
***************************************
Model type/revision: 2813/0

Press CTRL-Y to begin
===================end========================

But when I press ctrl-y, nothing happens. I've changed the settings on
minicom, used a NM adapter on the cable, and prayed for rain but nothing
gives. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-zeek(kevintkruzich)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: embedded linux in a specific application...
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:28:59 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:26:26 -0400, William Ryder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As a refresher, I work for a group considering Linux in an embedded
>application using a MIPS processor and a Galileo support chip.  We are
>defining embedded as meaning "diskless, file system-less, and bootable
>from prom."   Topics under discussion on our end include:

I don't know any answers to what you asked, but
http://wearables.stanford.edu may have some pointers.  Good luck.

------------------------------

From: "Terrence Vergauwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to change incomming NFS connection port number - URGENT !!!!
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:42:23 +0200

Hi,

My internet provider blocks all incomming connections to ports 1000 and
below, for prohibiting customers from installing their own webservers etc...

I need to make an NFS connection from a location on the internet to my PC.

How can i change my incomming connection NFS port to eg: 3333 or something
else above 1000 ?
And how can i specify on the connecting pc to mount using that specific
remote port i chose ?

Please reply if you know, it is very urgent.

Greetings,
Terrence

------------------------------

From: "BWhite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing html from the command line
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:03:13 -0700

I am trying to use a linux cronjob to print out an html file.

Does anyone know an appropriate method of doing this non-interactively??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: HELP ME !!!
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:00:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: IF you are willing to spend a little money, go check out
: http://www.tutsys.com.  They have a product that extends 500 ft and
: uses a phone line, but @ only 1MB speed.
:
: > On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:07:35 +0200, "Mlaas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: > >I want to make a network with my friend ,
: > >my friend live 3 km from me .
: > >

Now there's someone who doesn't know their metric system.  3km is bit more
than 500ft.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @home questions
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:01:38 GMT

tom ross wrote:

> Any information available concerning the set up for @home and how to
> solve problems
> trying to set up a local network with ip masq and possible firewall
> sever for network with normal ip's

Start with the HOWTOs and
http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/LinuxCableModem.html
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: Fred Farleigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP connect: ping & traceroute but no data??
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:01:59 -0500

But I *want* vj compression :) - I think that vj compression simply rips
the redundant headers off the packet, saving the modem from transmitting
stuff it doesn't need to send, not just compression. If you don't send it,
compression or otherwise, your modem can send the important things.

Thanks for the scoop on the kernel issue; also, I am baffled how/why/where
someone found the alias strings for the conf.modules. (Inquiring minds
wnat to know).

Thanks!

--
Fred Farleigh
Systems and Network Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Coopersmith)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Shareware DNS Server source????
Date: 13 Jul 1999 22:22:26 GMT

In article <7mgakg$v0v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Does anybody know how I can get my hands on
>the source for a shareware DNS server (preferably
>multi-threaded)???

http://www.isc.org/bind.html
http://www.dents.org/

Alan Coopersmith                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/
aka:     alanc@{CSUA,OCF,CS,BMRC,EECS,ucsee.eecs,cory.eecs}.Berkeley.EDU

------------------------------

From: "BWhite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: exporting files systems via NFS?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:08:43 -0700

I am trying to export /home and a few others to an NT network.

I configure NFS using linuxconfig, but when I try and browse the server from
a windows box, it either comes up blank, or complains that the linux server
doesn't support networking!

Any suggestions?

Byron

------------------------------

From: "Jason Wilcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mgetty,ppp,security
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:55:35 -0400

using mgetty to speak to linux ppp clients

mgetty[xxx]: data dev=ttyS1, pid=xxx caller='none', conn='38400', name='',
cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

ppp 2.3.5 started by LOGIN, uid 0

My question is this a large security hole? and if it is how do I fill it?
PAP? different config?

all help is appreciated