Linux-Networking Digest #911, Volume #11         Fri, 16 Jul 99 08:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  HELP ON NETWORKING ("skycom")
  Re: can anyone tell me how to ftp as root (Lars Petterson)
  Re: chroot (Bernd Eckenfels)
  SMB, Win9x (VBF-Ratingen GmbH)
  Telnet Requirements? (B D)
  Linux, I only can log in as root (Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?Q?Biem=FCller?=)
  Re: REMOTEHOST variable (James Knott)
  Using mget of smbclient (VBF-Ratingen GmbH)
  Win98 & Linux ("Terry Churchill")
  In need of an RTFM answer (Markus Weimer)
  My Dissapointment to find Linux not a viable solution ("Tam McLaughlin")
  linux <-> NT via leased line ??? How to Do ? (Waldemar Moll)
  Mapping network drive from Win95? (Mikko)
  Re: problems with yppasswd ("Andreas Metzler")
  Re: ISDN Setup (Frank Waarsenburg)
  System Requirement for Server. ("Anthony Heckmann")
  need URL of socks 5 setup docs ("Gene Heskett")
  Non-promiscuous Netword Cards (h0TsLuG)
  HELP: howto install a mailing lists on linux (Andrea Aizza)
  Re: INN (NNTP Server) (tomislav)
  How To Dial without waiting for The Dialtone in KPPP of KDE !!!! (B)
  SV: FTP server behined ipmasq gateway? ("Tommy Leonhardsen")
  Re: (2 NIC)RTFM no good, please help (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Good network backup software? (Christoph Wernli)
  floppy workstation howto? (Quick)
  [BIND] forcign other name servers to update my domain (Patrick)
  nfs3 & linux (Ulf Schleth)
  Re: Linux, I only can log in as root (sunchange lee)
  ICMP Patch For Masquerading ("Daniel Brady")
  2nd ethenet card ("Jan")
  Re: My Dissapointment to find Linux not a viable solution ("Gunnar Magholder")

From: "skycom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP ON NETWORKING
Date: 16 Jul 1999 06:46:53 GMT

Sorry to have confused you earlier. What I got after trying to ping a
hostname is "unknow host" and when I typed nslookup, the message is "can't
find server name for address 65.21.83.88. No response from the server".

I have not set up my ethernet card yet because it is not recognized by the
linux kernel. I need to get the linux 2.1 in order for my NE2000 PCI
ethernet card to work.

Thank you.

Winson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lars Petterson)
Subject: Re: can anyone tell me how to ftp as root
Date: 16 Jul 1999 06:46:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ziad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I realize linux, by default, disables ftp and telnet as root.
>> I fixed the telnet problem by messing with the securetty file.
>
>> How do I fix the ftp issue? I need to be able to ftp as root.
>> I have both redhad 5.2 and 6, and I believe they run wu-ftpd.
>Why oh why do people insist on sending their root password as plain
>text over the network?  Even though I'm sure I'll see a "HELP! My
>linux box was broken-into!!" post from you in a month, I'll tell
>you anyway:  add 'root' to /etc/ftpusers and read the man page for
>wu.ftpd.

No, the other way around, remove root from /etc/ftpusers, that file
tells you who is NOT allowed to log in as root. Easy to mix up :-)

A better way to send/fetch files as root is to use scp from the
ssh-package. You will then send login, password, and data in an
encrypted and rather safe way. It is not, in a box connected to
Internet, or any other larger network, adviseable to let root log
in using telnet and/or ftp. You should use more safe measures to
do that. Personally I use ssh. Take a look at http://www.replay.com/
or ftp://ftp.replay.com/ for the ssh package.

/Lars

--
Lars E Pettersson        |  Chalmers University of Technology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  Gothenburg, SWEDEN

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: chroot
Date: 15 Jul 1999 22:47:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> When I type
> chroot /home/ftp ls (or /bin/ls)
> I get
> chroot: cannot execute ls: No such file or directory

> ls exists under the new root directory, as does anything else that it
> wants to open as shown by running ls under strace.

chroot wants the path of the bin inside the chroot jail "/home/ftp/bin/ls".

Greetings
Bernd

------------------------------

From: VBF-Ratingen GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMB, Win9x
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:05:18 +0200

Hi!!

OK, I've got a problem: my Samba-Server doesn't show up in the Network
neighbourhood in the WIn-Boxes :-(... When using 'net view \\linux', Win
tells me that I used a bad password. Whats wrong??

PLEASE DON'T POST THESE TWO SITES TO ME (
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html +
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html ).......

I have already used them, and they helped me to get as far as I am...
but unfortunately not any further. I've done everything like it is in
there, but afterwars, when I used 'net view \\linux', I got an error,
that the machine can't be found :-(. The same error occured when I used
an smb.conf made with SWAT.

I'd like to have a server, which is accessible from the Win-Boxes
without any password!!!!! What's the simplest smb.conf for this???

Thanks!
Rainer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:36:33 -0700
From: B D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet Requirements?

What are the required inetd services for a successfully telnet session
to be transacted? I am trying to minimize active inetd services.

thanks!

------------------------------

From: Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?Q?Biem=FCller?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux, I only can log in as root
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:22:26 +0200

I Have a problem.
Im using Linux with Kernel 2.2.5, when I want to log in as root it goes,
and an xterm comes, but when I then type rlogin -l username servername,
rlogin rejects and says connection closed.

and it promps only the root promt.

When I make a telnet to the linux box as root it goes, as any other user
it doesn't go
telnet says "connetction refused"

i tried to type ALL:ALL in my /etc/host.allow but it dosen't work

and i only want acces from the networks 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
                                                and
192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0

Can anybody help me?

Thank you
Sebastian Biemüller

pease write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Subject: Re: REMOTEHOST variable
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:50:19 -0400

I looked into this, and found that the who -m command returns only the
user connected to that session, whereas who as used in your example
returns all users.  This will certainly help. However, I'm still
curious about the difference between distributions.

tnx

From: VBF-Ratingen GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using mget of smbclient
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:30:51 +0200

Hi!!

When I use 'mget *' in smbclient to get all files of the directory, I
have to confirm every single file ("Get file filename?")... Is there a
way to tell mget that I don't want to confirm every file, but just get
them?
I need it because I want a shell-script to use smbclient and get all
files of the host... or is there a better way of doing this??

Thanx! Rainer.

------------------------------

From: "Terry Churchill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Win98 & Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:04:45 +0100

Hi!

I have two machines that I am trying to network together:

AMD K6-2 300
64 Meg Ram
8.4 Gig HDD
Genius GF100TXR NIC
Running Windows 98

P100
32 Meg Ram
8.4 Gig HDD
ISA NE2000 Compatible NIC (Purchased from Maplin Electronics in the UK)
Running Slackware Linux 4.0

I am connecting the two using an 8 port hub (Also by Genius). I have set the
machines up as so:

Windows 98:     visa.dodgyplastic.demon.co.uk    192.168.1.2
Linux:                access.dodgyplastic.demon.co.uk    192.168.1.1

Now I can ping localhost fine (ping -t 192.168.1.2 on the 'Doze box &
192.168.1.1 on the Linux box). When it comes to pinging the other machine I
always get 'request timed out' on the Windows box, and nothing on the Linux
one.

I have also tried this using a cross-over cable and had the same thing. This
would suggest I have a hardware problem, I think :)

When my Windows machine boots, the BIOS tells me the NIC is on IRQ 11.
Windows seems to set it on IRQ 12. Is this normal?

I hope you can help, I am getting sick of rebooting just to play games...

TIA

--
Terry Churchill

------------------------------

From: Markus Weimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: In need of an RTFM answer
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:07:43 +0200

Hi folks!

I´m definitely not a linux newbie, but a networkin newbie.

The RedHat-Install (5.2 / i386 / GPL) at work is driving my nuts. I just
wanted to install a self-build-kernel which didn´t work. So I decided to
get the latest 2.0.37-Kernel to update the kernel also. Build it,
worked, fine.

But the ISDN-Setup didn´t work after the upgrade. I can connect via
"isdnctrl dial ippp0", but not automated. I suppose that the reason
might be found when analysing the startup-message "modprobe: could not
find module net-pf-#". I ignored it on my no-networking install at home.
So I need documentation about this issue. Please help.

Markus

--
Jugendhaus Goldstein - Schwanheim  mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Markus Weimer                      fon:  069-6665333

60529 Frankfurt am Main

------------------------------

From: "Tam McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: My Dissapointment to find Linux not a viable solution
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:06:58 +0100

I love Linux and have been using it for the last year as our email
and internet server but have found we cannot consider Linux as a
serious option as a firewall, email/internet server and a virus
checker for all incomming emails.

I may be wrong and hope to be proved wrong but the companies in
Glasgow/Edinburgh I have spoken to cannot support our requirements
with Linux. I will explain our setup and what I would like to see
and hope that someone can give me some suggestions or point me
in the direction of some company that can help.

We have ~ 150 PCs running win95
          4 servers running SCO
          about to install a router between 2 offices using a leased line
   and a card to allow remote access from laptops.
          linux box running delegate proxy and qmail connected to a direct
    telephone line to a single dial up account.

We would like to allow laptop users in to our network for email access and
server access. I believe the cisco router will allow us to specify which IP
addresses are allowed in and which are not. We wish to protect our LAN from
the outside.

So, I have been informed that the linux server is not secure and we need a
proper
firewall. We also need a better method of virus scanning rather than
updating
each PC each month. I believe we could use samba for this with some type of
network AV software.

I know hat I could go out and buy an NT server with MSProxy or whatever and
some
email package, firewall-1 and mime-sweeper. But this would cost a hell of a
lot
or money which I dont know our company would be willing to pay for (ok, i
know all
about the importance how much is our data worth etc etc...).

So, why is there Linux based solution. Why is there no AV scanning software
that can
run on Linux? If there is , does anyone know of a local company that can
help us?

------------------------------

From: Waldemar Moll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: linux <-> NT via leased line ??? How to Do ?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:39:10 +0200

Hello,

this is my prob:
I want to connect a linux-cpu over a modem-leased-line connection to a
NT-box.
Are anybody able to give me some hints how to do this?
The modems are 2 USR Courier V everything.

Greetings and thx
wmoll

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mikko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mapping network drive from Win95?
Date: 16 Jul 1999 08:21:12 GMT

When trying to map a drive from Win95 to a Linux server, it prompts:
The password is incorrect. Try Again.
Even though the password is right. In Windows 95 you can't set the username
when logging on to another server (or can you?) like in Windows NT so I think
that might be the problem.  Any hints?
Thanks,
Mikko

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Metzler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with yppasswd
Date: 16 Jul 1999 09:27:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> upgrade ypserv to 1.3.6.94 - this fixed my problem (had the same
> problem).

> Jay C
hello!
Where did you get this from? Rawhide?
         cu andreas

------------------------------

From: Frank Waarsenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISDN Setup
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:27:20 +0200

You can do that automatically by entering isdnctrl huptimeout ippp0 300
(for a 5 minute timeout). If you do that manually, type isdnctrl hangup
ippp0

Frank

------------------------------

From: "Anthony Heckmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System Requirement for Server.
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 06:09:58 -0400

I'm thinking of setting up a server to split up a cable modem between 3-7
clients.  Would a 486DX2/66 be capable of handling this task? Would any
other aspect of an older system be a severe bottleneck?

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 99 05:34:52 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need URL of socks 5 setup docs

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We've been running a socks 4 server on one of our Amiga's, directing all
the other win machines in the house thru a 56k modem on the Amiga for their
internet access.

We are in the process of converting this 'gateway' box between the house
and our ISP/dialup to a RH5.2 box.  We have some of it running.  like
email from any machine, but ftp useage seems to be eluding us, and we
either have to enable it or convert back very quickly as the Amiga is
doing our web page maintainance many times a day, and the Amiga is doing
all that via ftp.

I saw, just a couple of weeks back, a post giving a URL for a complete
socks setup guide.  We were running socks 4 on the 'miggy, but would
like to switch to socks 5, but its included docs are (I'll be kind here)
sparse.

If anyone has that socks setup URL, I'd sure appreciate it.

If you would, please CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks In Advance

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

Subject: Non-promiscuous Netword Cards
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (h0TsLuG)
Date: 16 Jul 1999 18:21:35 +0800

Hello everyone,

What are the current NICs that can operate in a non-promiscuous mode?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:52:31 +0200
From: Andrea Aizza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi guys,
I would like to setup a simple mailing list on my linux. Actualy I would
just like to achieve the basic functionalities of a m.l.: email sent to a
particular user@mymachine -> that email forwarded to all users belongin to
that m.l. except the one who sent it.
An idea is just to create a user and use the .forward file to forward
emails, is it there a way to do the same without creating such user? For
example configuring the popper or sendmail service? Is it there a software
who does that (ndr majordomo seems much complicated - I have to minimise
the processes on my machine).

Thanx,

Andrea

Andrea AIZZA

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Integrated Systems Center (C3I)

EPFL-DE-C3i Office: ELB-137
Ecublens, CH-1015 Lausanne (CH)
tel. +41 21 693 69 73
email  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://c3iwww.epfl.ch/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tomislav)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: INN (NNTP Server)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:42:32 +0200

In article <7mjqne$qru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> My goal is all the users can connect to the NNTP Server
> on localhost, when they want to see news in one particular
> group, NNTP Server could fetch and store them locally and
> let my users read them. On WinNT, there is a shareware
> called DNews could do it. How about on Linux?

The program you're looking for is called LEAFNODE. It does what you said,
and it's easy to setup. It's at:
http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~krasel/leafnode.html

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tojo.home.dhs.org/pgp.asc

------------------------------

From: B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.networking.general
Subject: How To Dial without waiting for The Dialtone in KPPP of KDE !!!!
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:31:06 GMT

Please HElp Me !!!!1
This is the only thing that left me to move totally to Linux from
Win9x !!!!

I have a special phone service , the problem its that when i hang up the
line a recording of 20 sg start´s , when the record finish the dialtone
appears the problem its that KDE dont wait 20 sg for the dialtone and
dysplay a NO DIALTONE error message,

My question its how to tell the modem to wait 20 sg for the dialtone ,
after the KPPP hang up the modem , or the other posibility its to dial the
number while the recording its playing , if the modem do that, the record
stops and the phone start to wait response from the ISP, and all the
things after that dont have any problem to start the connection to
Internet !!!!!

Plz HElp ME !!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone can Send me a mail , with the answer to my problem i will be
very Greatfull !!! , anyway i´m gonna be checking this forum , for anyone
that can Help me with my problem !!!!

My email its [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Tommy Leonhardsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SV: FTP server behined ipmasq gateway?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:40:50 +0200

This solved *my* problem just fine. Thanks a lot! :-)

> How about using portfw or a redirection client application (rinetd)?
>
> Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> > Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a small dilema, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > > I have a small network of three machines.  1 Linux, RH 6, ipmasq. 1.
NT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: (2 NIC)RTFM no good, please help
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:40:15 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:06:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have this in my /etc/lilo.conf:
>append="ether=ether=0,0,eth1"

That syntax doesn't look right.  IIRC (from other posts - I myself
have only NIC) it should look something like:

    append = "ether=10,0x280,eth0 ether=15,0x300,eth1"

HTH

------------------------------

From: Christoph Wernli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good network backup software?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:50:21 +0200

Frederic Faure wrote:

> I'd like to replace our Seagate BackupExec running under NT and
> driving a DLT tape driver, and replace it with a Linux-based software.
> Besides Amanda and BRU, is there a good package I should look at? I
> have to backup Linux + Sparc Solaris + NT hosts.

Check out this Ask-Slashdot-feature:

-w

------------------------------

From: Quick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: floppy workstation howto?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 06:45:22 -0400

what i am looking for is a howto to set up an almost diskless
workstation. i know that the "easy" way is to fork over the $ and get a
nic with an eprom. however me thinks that i can do the same with floppy
and nic for about half the price. what i can't seem to find is info on
how to setup a floppy disk to boot the lan and logon to the server. in
other words, i want to do a lan boot without the eprom.

is there any info out there that can set me in the right direction?

Mark

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
This document was produced with 0.0% Micro$oft products.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick)
Subject: [BIND] forcign other name servers to update my domain
Date: 16 Jul 1999 10:31:29 GMT

After I update a record,
how can i force other name servers to update their cache immediately?

(I know I can modify the SOA but I would like other name servers to read my
name server
IMMEDIATELY.)

Thank you very much.

From: Ulf Schleth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nfs3 & linux
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:54:00 +0200

hio i'm running the new 2.2.x kernel. with enabled kernel-nfs-support.
(S.U.S.E distribution)

but i don't know how to enable NFS3-support. if someone could tell me,
please write message

to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks,

ulf

--
---
noc * echtzeit gmbh * kantstr 165 * 10623 berlin

------------------------------

From: sunchange lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, I only can log in as root
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:50:08 +0000

you can not login as root directly ,for some security reason.
you have to "su" to root if you telnet your remote machine after login
as a common user.

From: "Daniel Brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ICMP Patch For Masquerading
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:44:59 +0100

hi all

Does anyone know where I can get the ICMP patch for kernel 2.0.36 to allow
masq. pinging ?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: "Jan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2nd ethenet card
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:47:27 +0200

I've linux 2.0.29 en want to use a second ne2000 clone.

My first ne2000 is a PCI one with i load in rc.modules with:
ne io=0xe000

How to load the second ne2000 clone which is an isa device.
(I'tried already ne io=0xe000 , 0x0320 )

Thank's for help Jan Bunk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Gunnar Magholder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.security.firewalls
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:55:24 +0200

Tam McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
7mmsqe$sep$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I love Linux and have been using it for the last year as our email
> and internet server but have found we cannot consider Linux as a
> serious option as a firewall, email/internet server and a virus
> checker for all incomming emails.
>
> I may be wrong and hope to be proved wrong but the companies in
> Glasgow/Edinburgh I have spoken to cannot support our requirements
> with Linux. I will explain our setup and what I would like to see
> and hope that someone can give me some suggestions or point me
> in the direction of some company that can help.
>
> We have ~ 150 PCs running win95
>           4 servers running SCO
>           about to install a router between 2 offices using a leased line
>    and a card to allow remote access from laptops.
>           linux box running delegate proxy and qmail connected to a direct
>     telephone line to a single dial up account.
>
> We would like to allow laptop users in to our network for email access and
> server access. I believe the cisco router will allow us to specify which
IP
> addresses are allowed in and which are not. We wish to protect our LAN
from
> the outside.
So if you think about connecting remote Stations you should consider a VPN.
There
are a few solutions for Linux (IPSec and PPTP based)

> So, I have been informed that the linux server is not secure and we need a
> proper
> firewall. We also need a better method of virus scanning rather than
> updating
> each PC each month. I believe we could use samba for this with some type
of
> network AV software.
I'm working with MS Products for a long time now as an MCSE. If you have a
PDC sitting in your net you can do many things with it. Samba 2.x is capable
in
the field of simulating a PDC and there are a few studies that show a
performance
advantage Samba over NT, but ... Not all the features of NT are implemted in
Samba
yet. There are lots of Virus Scanners floating around that are built for
network use. They
have their prize, but you are talking about a company securing itself. I
built up firewalls
(mostly CheckPoint) and know about that low-cost topic. But if the customer
wants a
prizeless solution, why doesn't he migrate to Unix on the workstations ?? On
a well configured
Linux Workstation a Virus would not stand a chance. (I think, this is the
reason, why there are
no AV Solutions on Linux.. You don't need one)

> I know hat I could go out and buy an NT server with MSProxy or whatever
and
> some
> email package, firewall-1 and mime-sweeper. But this would cost a hell of
> lot
> or money which I dont know our company would be willing to pay for (ok, i
> know all
> about the importance how much is our data worth etc etc...).
see above

> So, why is there Linux based solution. Why is there no AV scanning
software
> that can
> run on Linux? If there is , does anyone know of a local company that can
> help us?
see above

Gunnar ( who doesn't want to be flamed for his opinion...)