From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DeAnn Iwan)
Subject: Re: 486 33mhz and T1?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 12:03:56 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:58:26 -0400, "Shr00m" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,  Im going to setup a linux box on a T1 connection and will have a p2 300
>(win98) connected to my box to access the T1 as well.  Does anyone foresee
>any problems (network speed, speed of box itself) if I run the box on a 486
>33?  I also have a p100, but the motherboard is messed, id have to shell out
>$30-40 to get  a new one.  Think it would be more advantageous to spend the
>money?  As most students, im on a tight budget.  Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>-Tom

           A 486 can, in principle, saturate a T1 line.  (An ISA bus,
10Mbaud ethernet and T1 line all operate at around 1 megabyte per
second).  However, you would have to look at the actual speed of each
link in the chain to see where your bottleneck will be.

------------------------------

From: "William R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP-After get connected and ppp0 configured, I can't see route table
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 07:01:40 -0500

Terry Cox wrote:

> I am having a similar problem.  I connect to my ISP via PPP.  A defaultroute
> through my ppp0 interface is not set up.  I have to manually set it up:  #
> route add default gw 165.234.17.28 .  After I do that, I can get it to work.
> I use 'ifconfig' to find out what my P-t-P ip address is.  I am trying to
> figure out how I can get my default route to always be my ppp0 interface.  I
> am lurking in the newsgroup to see if anyone else is have the same problem.
> Good Luck!

Gee ... maybe the "defaultroute" option to ppp ????

on my system I tried man pppd and then grep'd through looking for default and
found:

 defaultroute
              Add  a  default route to the system routing tables,
              using the peer as the gateway, when  IPCP  negotia-
              tion  is  successfully  completed.   This  entry is
              removed when the PPP connection is broken

Now if you are using some gui tool to get this to work then you are on your
own. But using CLI this is the ticket.

Regards

Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards

------------------------------

From: "Timothy Rue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.sys.next.advocacy,de.comp.os.unix.discussion
Subject: Re: Free Software congress in Berlin, July 16-17th [with live streams]
Date: 17 Jul 99 08:07:32 -0500

And the war with the Beast has begun. And what better place than in the
city of a fallen wall of war?

And what is this really all about? It's about advancement of the human
mind past the barriers of consumer entrapment abuse. So far past the
barriers that those putting them up are seen in their full light, for the
wrongs they have committed.

http://www/mindspring.com/~timrue/KNMIC.html

There is no spoon! And may the source be with you!

On 15-Jul-99 12:35:59 klubradio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [remote participants have access to this conf.
> via live-streams and online journal. ]
> ---
> From           Florian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Organization   Freie Universitaet Berlin
> Date           29 Jun 1999 17:45:34 GMT
> Newsgroups     gnu.misc.discuss
> Message-ID     <7lb0nu$5jl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Free Software congress in Berlin, July 16-17th

> "Wizards of OS" will be the first conference in Germany (possibly in
> Europe) to focus on the culture, politics and economics of Free
> Software and seeking to link various camps of net cultures - software
> hackers, media artists, academics and political
> activists. Controversial debates will nevertheless be encouraged, so
> not everybody who shows up on the speaker's list is a representative
> or supporter of the Free Software idea.

> Speakers include Richard M. Stallman, Tim O'Reilly, Kalle
> Dalheiner and other developers from well-known Free Software projects
> (Apache, XFree86, Perl, GnuPG) and many experts on "open"
> vs. "proprietary" in genetic engineering, science and the arts. A
> detailed list of panels and speakers is available at the conference
> web site <http://www.mikro.org/wos>.

> Florian

> * * *

> Wizards of OS #1
> Open Sources and Free Software
> July 16 - 17, 1999
> House of World Cultures, Berlin

> http://www.mikro.org/wos

[snip see thread or better yet, see link]

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<
Search email/name @ http://www.dejanews.com for other puzzle parts/posts.

------------------------------

From: "William R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: routing
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 07:18:48 -0500

Min Hu wrote:

> I am setting up a private network in the following way.
>
>       ********                    ********
> ------*      *--------------------*      *-------------
>       ********                    ********
> 150.1.3.1    192.168.1.1  192.168.1.10   128.110.75.10
> I use static routing table to have the two linux router boxes talk each other, but I
>can not have computers on the two networks 150.1.3.0 and 128.110.75.10 to talk each
>other. I set up my routing table in the following way:
> ifconfig eth0 150.1.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add -net 150.1.3.0
> route add -net 192.168.1.1
> route add -net 128.110.75.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.10 metric 3
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig eth1 128.110.75.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add -net 192.168.1.0
> route add -net 128.110.75.0
> route add -net 150.1.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1 metric 3
>
> when I ping 150.1.3.1 from 128.110.75.10 or ping 128.110.75.10 from 150.1.3.1, both
>work. However, when ping 150.1.3.20 from 128.110.75.80 or the other way, none of them
>work.
>
> Anybody can enlight my how to solve the problem? Do I need to use gated program to
>do it? Thanks very much.

128.110.75.80 needs to have in its routing table information on how to get to this
network. ie:

/sbin/route add -net 150.1.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 128.110.75.10

I would suggest static routes as opossed to default routes unless you realise that if
ppp is *ever* run from a system using a default route then this default route will
need to be removed before ppp is started up.

Hope this helps....

Regards

Bill

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Sheskin)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: EMail
Date: 17 Jul 1999 07:47:17 -0500

You need to set up a delivery agent (procmail). Try
this page to getit all set up.
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/users/reriksso/procmail/mini-faq.html
You can also do a man sendmail and man procmail on most
distros and see what you need to do.

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:57:05 +0800, Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->
->Hi,
->
->Some quesion on email on linux,
->
->1) I can't send mail to local user using mail, sendmail -> user unknow
->except user "root"
->    Some  said we should we "deliver" program, but when can I get it ?
->is it free ?
->    or what have I missing in config files ?
->    I have already create the user. shoud they be added to the "mail"
->group ?
->    What is the protocol (if any) used for local mail ?
->     I have compile the yaps for pop3 deamons, and it work fine with the
->/var/spool/mail,
->     however, I the system can only product /var/spool/mail/root, which
->it recognized this
->     user
->
->2) Many text said "smail" is easy to use than sendmail, so I search for
->it, .. but
->     can't find any download site ! also , is it free of charge ?
->     my RH5.2 distribution also can't find it.
->
->Thank in any advice,
->
->Rgds
->
->
->
->
->
->
->
->

--
Robert Sheskin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Martin C. Barlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCP <=> DNS
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 22:54:29 +1000

I am controlling a small lan with linux and windows machines. I have
configured each of the machines to obtain their network details from
DHCPd.

What method should i use so that each machine can find out  each others
ip number dynamically using host names? (so i can ping, or use samba)

I think windows machines use netbios broadcasts to find the ip of the
machine in question. Linux does not have this natively. BIND is static
as far as i know and is therefore not useful for changing ips.

I have read the How-TO's and have not found a solution. I noticed that
DHCPd version 3 has dynamic dns functionality. This is still in beta
form however.

Am i totally confused or trying to do something impossible?

Any solutions, pointers or links would be greatly appreciated.

Martin C. Barlow

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: My Dissapointment to find Linux not a viable solution
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:32:42 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This last response sounds like something from the dark ages.  Fast,
> effective file server based av solutions have been around for years!!

I have yet to see one.

> Yes, viruses execute on the client.  No, you do not have to execute
> viruses to detect them.  Since over 90% of virus, trojan and worm
> incidents originate as files attached to emails, you can stop 90% of
> virus incidents by scanning email traffic for viruses.  we strongly
> recommend scanning of all SMTP, FTP and HTTP - something our InterScan
> VirusWall does - on Linus, Solaris, HP UX, DEX UX and NT.

To detect a virus, the virus must be in a form from which it can
execute. No virus scanner can scan through all archive and encryption
mechnisms. Viruses almost never "exist" in transit, most of them are
compressed or encrypted. I my experience, most docs and program are sent
as .zip files.

> As far as I know, InterScan is the only virus scanner scanning SMTP,
> FTP and HTTP traffic available on Linux.

I am dubious that scanning e-mail is a useful process.

> Desktop solutions are still important - users still have floppy disks
> and other ways of getting files that don't go through your email server
> and or firewall.  However, the problem with desktop virus scanning
> includes:
>
> 1. users may turn it off, change setting, not update them - or
> interfere with the update process.  Trend Micro's OfficeScan allows
> administrators to centrally manage desktop virus protectio - taking end
> users out of the proces.
>
> 2.  Viruses such as Melissa and the Explorer worm spread too fast to
> update desktops/home users.  You need to have virus protection built
> into the infrastructure of the environment - that can be
> centrally/remotely updated and managed.

Yes, MS Office viruses are the worst. The best solution is use another
word processing package. *In fact* the only people that have been hit
with any notable viruses lately are MS Office uses. A good argument for
Applix or Word Perfect.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: "MachO WierDo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sygate and linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:41:41 -0700

hello i have a server running sygate with dhcp enable
and i have a workstation running linux red hat 5.2
my question is how do i configure sygate or linux
to communicate, so that the linux box can connect to the net

detailed help please  extremely newbie

to be or not to be

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to set up ADSL in Linux?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:40:21 +0800

Excuse me, but how do I set up my adsl in Linux? (I am using Redhat 6.0)
Have read all the HOWTOs but fail to get anything out of it.

Currently, I have a VIRATA card. But I could not find a single Linux driver
in the Internet. It's a PCI card. I've heard people who successfully set up
their ADSL but they were using 3com NICs. Btw, what NIC model are they using
to hook up to their ADSL modems? Also, does the 3com card work with my Adsl
modem? Mine is an alcatel 1000 adsl modem. Could anybody teach me how to
setup my adsl? Thank you.

------------------------------

From: nelson cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux as a PPP client nolonger work after NT RAS upgrade
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:45:58 +0800

Hi,

I wonder if  anyone run into a similar situation like me:

I am using RH6.0 and is using kppp to dial in to my company's NT-RAS
server. It used to be very smooth until my company's RAS servers'
upgrade. I am not sure what or which version they upgraded. After that,
everytime I log in, I will get "authenticaton failed" messages logged
into my log and connection is losted. They are using CHAP.

I have heard that if the server is WIN2000 then it will happen like
this. It seems it only allow Win95 or WinNT to connect!!

Any idea? Please also send a copy to my mail box, thanks

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Nelson

------------------------------

From: "Y.C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to disable console?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:36:51 -0500

HI:
    I have a linux box running kernel 2.2.10. This box ususally is
maintained by remote login.
Since it hardly login directly in front of Monitor and consider Monitor
as a security hole. I would like to disable login in front of Monitor,
but keep remote login available. Is there anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!
Y.C.

------------------------------

From: "Dick Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NIC card configuration 3c905B-TX
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 10:44:07 -0400

On the assumption that the only dumb questions are those that aren't
asked...   How do I modify what the system is looking for?  The Win98 system
uses this card at  I/Orange 1400-147f and IRQ 10.  I have not been able
tofigure out how to get my Linux RH5.1 - kernel 2.0.36-3   to work???

Thanks again
D.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Linux as a server
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:39:50 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <6GZj3.97$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Gerry Kerr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Monte,
>
> Yeah, that side of things is fine.
>
> I guess what I am really looking for is something a bit more robust.
>
> What I would like is something that understood both win95 drive mapping and
> linux scripting and allow some centralized  management such as standardised
> scripts that maps drives and printers onto the client win95 PC in such a way
> that the mappings will move  with a user if they log on at a different PC.
>
> The samba end of thing on the linux server works fine
>
> I am probably showing my roots as a novell installer here, but hey, we all
> gather prejudices as we grow :-)

I'm not very familiar with Novell networks, so this is something of a shot
in the dark, but Linux CAN be configured to serve as a Novell-style host.
If the Novell clients do what you want, then using them in conjunction
with a Linux server configured for IPX, NPX, etc., may be what you want.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Firewalls when I don't control the entire subnet
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:54:04 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7mo85e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Hanselman) writes:
> I thought of public addresses I guess because I don't know enough about
> how this stuff works....
>
> We want a bit of security; I know this is suboptimal, but currently we
> have 1 server masquerading for a private 192.168.1 network.  By disabling
> telnet, etc to the masquerading machine, the private network is at least safer
> than just leaving them on the net (I think?)

Definitely.  IP masquerading means that your internal network is totally
unreachable from the outside, at least directly and if you're not trying
out the new extensions to IP masquerading that let you set up internal
servers.  Somebody could conceivably break into the masquerading router,
but that's at least easier to manage than an entire network.

> Problem is, masquerading breaks UDP and FTP within Netscape and IE.

Not on my system it doesn't.  I just tried to be sure -- I ftp'ed a file
from sunsite.unc.edu using Netscape for MacOS, and it worked fine.  I'm
running a 2.2.8 kernel with ipchains (Red Hat 6.0), using a PPP dialup
connection.  It's possible that you just need to upgrade your IP
masquerading software; I know that the developers keep implementing new
protocols that get masqueraded correctly.