Linux-Networking Digest #953, Volume #11         Tue, 20 Jul 99 17:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  New & hot linux books at DISCOUNT ("Order SQL - books! (discount price!)")
  specifying dhcp server (Bob Tennent)
  Firewall to protect servers (Greg Leblanc)
  Help.... Wanna replace NT with Linux. ("Frederik Meerwaldt")
  Re: linux dial-in server + windows95 ("Nick Owen")
  getty dialin respawning (David Lewis)
  Re: Firewall forwarding NetBios? (Bryan)
  Re: DHCP client on Redhat Linux 6.0 ("Jeff Volckaert")
  Re: kppp setup solution! (Joseph Sollenberger)
  Re: Sharing NetZero on home network? (Vikas Agnihotri)
  Re: Firewall to protect servers ("Lew")
  Inet access as normal user (Stefan Walter)
  Re: Periodic multicast traffic - why? ("Cliff")
  Re: DHCP & Mediaone's cable modem. ("Bill Somerville")
  hook a normal printer directly up to a network? (Gaiko Kyofusho)
  Re: turn a computer into a network hub? (Alex Lam)
  Re: Sending emails over a network (VBF-Ratingen GmbH)
  Re: Vpn Question ("John Hardin")
  Re: Help.... Wanna replace NT with Linux. (VBF-Ratingen GmbH)
  Re: ADSM Backup + RedHat 6.0 (Jerry Craker)

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:21:52 +0200
From: "Order SQL - books! (discount price!)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New & hot linux books at DISCOUNT

ATTENTION:  We just added lots of new books and sections. Try our linux
site where you will find the ideal linux book for you - as a beginner,
administrator, programmer..... . Most of the books are at discount
price(~ 20 % OFF)!!

CHECK it out here:
http://www.geocities.com/eureka/enterprises/6949/linux.htm

 This service is brought to you by Knoxi's WORLD(http://come.to/knoxis)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: specifying dhcp server
Date: 20 Jul 1999 18:28:59 GMT

It seems my cable company wants me to specify the IP address of a
particular dhcp server.  As far as I can see, none of the dhcp-client
programs allow me to do this.  Any suggestions?

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewall to protect servers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:15:47 GMT

I'm going to have a DSL install at my home soon, and was wondering what
people had for recomendations on how to set up a firewall/router on a
Linux PC.  I'll have a Cisco 675 ADSL bridge/router, and a 486/dx2-66
with 16Mb of ram and two NICs.  What I was thinking of doing was perhaps
setting the Cisco to bridge only mode, and using the Linux PC to do all
of my routing.  I'd like to have several Microsoft Windows machines
inside of the network, as well as two sun boxes.  I'd like to have some
kind of security on my router either using packet filtering rules, or
NAT.  I would also like to be able to have HTTPD/FTPD running on my sun
boxes, but still have them behind the router/firewall.  Any suggestions
on a better way to do this, or pointers on what to read to get my RH6
machine configured properly to do this?  Thanks,
       Greg
--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Frederik Meerwaldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help.... Wanna replace NT with Linux.
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:02:24 +0200

Hi,
    I've got an existing Windows NT 4.0 Enterprise Server which is running
the following Services: ,,Normal'' NFS File Sharings, DNS, PDC for a Domain,
POP3 and SMTP.
    Now I've got the following questions:
    - Which steps do I have to take to handle the Linux box as an Windows
PDC??
    - How to create file sharings with Samba
    - How to configure DNS Server
    - Well, I've successfully configured POP3 and SMTP.

Regards,
    Freddy

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME

From: "Nick Owen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: linux dial-in server + windows95
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:39:41 +0100

You could always write a Dial-Up Script (.SCP) file and load it on the Windows
machine -- see DUN / Properties / Scripting in the connectoid to your Linux
server.

I remember having to do this long ago to connect a Win95 PC to Compuserve (to
use non-Compuserve software).

Look for the dummy script called c:\program files\accessories\pppmenu.scp or any
other .scp files for clues.
--
Nick

Traffic on the M25 ground to a halt when

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:45:47 -0500
From: David Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getty dialin respawning

Running Slackware Linux kernel 2.0.29.  I have a 33.6 external Zoom
modem connected to my serial port.  I'm trying to run agetty in the
inittab
file.  This is the command:

d1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS0
vt100

I've also tried ttyS1, cua0, and cua1 as the ports.  They're all the
same.  It starts up okay but respawns every 30 seconds or so.  The time
isn't always the same.  My syslog says this:

Jul 20 12:37:32 cedar login[135]: invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on
`ttyS0'
Jul 20 12:37:44 cedar last message repeated 4 times
Jul 20 12:37:44 cedar login[135]: REPEATED login failures on `ttyS0'

It looks like it's getting garbage from the modem or something.  I had
this modem plugged into a serial port on another Linux machine that
died.
The settings on the modem haven't been changed.  I'm out of ideas.
Somebody help!

David Lewis

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:09:30 +0000
From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Firewall forwarding NetBios?

Johannes Hettig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I´ve got a Problem with my Linux-Firewall. I am in a large Domain with
> my NT-maschine behind a Linux Firwall.
>
> NT-Comp----------------Linux-Firewall--------------Domain------------gateway
>
> 129.168.12.78               abc.cdf.bla.251
> abc.cdf.bla.xxx    abc.cdf.bla.254
>
> The firewall works with ipfwadm and masquerading. I want to access the
> other computers of the domain via SMB, but this does not work.  I
> noticed that my NT-workstation sends the UDP packets concerning NetBIOS
> (Port 137-119) to the Broadcast  address of its net. But they are not
> masqueraded and routed though I have all TCP and UDP Ports open.
> Thanks for any help
>
> Joe

Tell all the Windows boxes to use TCP/IP as their default protocol, and
then enable NetBios over TCP/IP.

We've been able to see our upstream ISP network this way sometimes over
our DSL line.  =)  Rarely though..

-- Bryan Scott
-- CTR Online Systems Administration

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP client on Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:26:03 -0400

Is there a reason you didn't just use the pump client or the dhcpcd rpm?

Jeff Volckaert

Tolety Siva Perraju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I downloaded and installed the dhcp client ver 1.3.17-p15. However when I
try to run
the client, it hangs for a long time and returns. IP address is not being
obtained. Is
there something I am missing
The steps I did to install
make
make install
try to run dhcpcd

--
Dr Siva Perraju Tolety,                      Voice: 781-466-4232
GTE Laboratories, MS35,                      Fax:   781-466-3231

------------------------------

From: Joseph Sollenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: kppp setup solution!
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:24:22 -0400

Christopher Chan wrote:

> Bernie wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had kppp dial-up setup proplems with  kde in the Mandrake 6
> > distribution (which is based on RedHat 6).
> >
> > The problem was that whatever I tried, the error message was:
> >
> > the ppp daemon died unexpectedly
> >
> > The current official solution to this setup problem which appears to
> > be caused by the distribution is:
> >
> > Change the modem speed under the modem tab of the kppp setup once.
> >
> > After the change, (I set it up from 57,000 to 115,000) you
> > can change it back to what you like.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bernie
>
> What kind of modem are you using?
>
> I had the same problem with my US Robotics voice ext.  My init string
> was ATZ and my modem was no longer using the hardware flow control
> default setting in the modem.
>
> I changed it to AT&F1 which loaded the hardware flow control default
> setting.

Christopher, you have supplied the answer to my KPPP problems.  The US
Robotics modems of other flavors (mine is a 56K Fax/Data external modem)
also neet the AT&F1 modem init string under KPPP.  Thank you for adding
your information to the KPPP discussion!  I am using COL 1.3 -- and loving
it!

--
[This mail was generated under Linux - an alternative to Windows.]

------------------------------

From: Vikas Agnihotri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: Sharing NetZero on home network?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:53:25 GMT

In article <wP0l3.25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tao Tong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.networking Vikas Agnihotri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Assuming I install Ethernet cards, hub, etc for a home network, how
do I
> > share my NetZero Internet access among all the PCs?
>
> I think you should read the IP masquerading howto, you will have some
clue
> after reading this document.

The "howto" in your reply tells me that you are assuming I am in a Linux
environment! :-) Unfortunately, I am not (yet).

NetZero is a Windows-based software that has a .exe wrapper around a
proprietary Java application that basically tweaks Windows' dial-up
networking and connects to a PPP server. I get a fresh dynamic IP each
time.

Has anyone got Internet access sharing to work with NetZero?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Lew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall to protect servers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:55:51 -0500

Greg:
It looks like you grock Unix already so I would work on setting up and
configuring my Linux box and reading the HOWTOs on IP Masquerading and
IPchains.

RH6 does support a port forwarding mechanism that will allow forwarding all
port 80 requests from the outside of the firewall to the inside of the
firewall. While port forwarding can certainly make one httpd machine
accessible on the other side of the firewall, I don't know if it's possible
to make two masqueraded machines accessible using this mechanism.  You may
have to get tricky and send all http requests to one Sun machine and use
Apache's virtual hosting mechanism + NFS to imitate the second web site that
exists on the second Sun.  I've never tried it but just maybe Apache would
let you do this.

                            *Lew*

news:7n2ec4$3s2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Stefan Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Inet access as normal user
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:38:06 +0200

Hi everyone,

I have the following problem:
I configured my Linux box (RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.2.9) for internet access
using RedHat's netcfg. Everything works fine, but only as long as I am
root! I can establish a connection as a normal user with "/sbin/ifup
ppp0", but Lynx, for instance, keeps saying "Alert!: Unable to connect
to remote host" when I try to go to a non-local address. When I try as
root, it works just fine.
This problem could, of course, be a result of wrong permission settings,
but I couldn't find anything. I would be very grateful if someone out
there sent me some hints.

Regards,
SW

P.S.: Do I have to be on runlevel 3 for internet access?
--
In die Tiefe mußt du steigen,
soll sich dir das Wesen zeigen.

ShadowHQ: http://mercury.spaceports.com/~shadowhq

------------------------------

From: "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Periodic multicast traffic - why?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:46:17 GMT

   I don't know what the purpose of the packet is.  I happened to notice it
after installing a Win98 system on my LAN.  The IP address was an oddball
and it caught my eye.  I would hazard a _guess_ that it is for some sort of
PointCast-like service that M$ wants to setup sometime down the road.  The
ports are very strange indeed.  Why the bit bucket?  Sorry, I can't answer
that.  I did however block all multicast without any complaints or
complications.  YMMV.

   We use ipfwadm.  Here's the relevant lines:

# Nothing should come from multicast/anycast/broadcast addresses.
$cmd -F -a deny -o -S 224.0.0.0/3 -D protected/16

# $cmd = path to ipfwadm, protected = local net group

--
-Cliff
Views expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer

[snip]

From: "Bill Somerville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP & Mediaone's cable modem.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:08:30 GMT

One difference between DHCP as implemented by MS and DHCP as implemented by
Linux is that MS DHCP sends the hostname along with the DHCP request.  Linux
allows you to do this via the -h parameter on dhcpcd.  My provider requires
the hostname since that's how they assign IP addresses (bogus!), but this
did the trick.  Whether yours does or not, it might be worth a try.  There
are also some other parms on dhcpcd you might look at.

--  Bill

news:7n1vbl$7t9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gaiko Kyofusho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: hook a normal printer directly up to a network?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:01:28 GMT

I was wondering if there was a way that I could hook a normal (hp desk
jet model ???) directly to my home network (consisting of 1 winnt box
and 2 linux boxes) without having to hook it directly to one of the
computers?  (I admit that it would be for purposes of convenience
<arranging the network ing the house> not necessity, for those that
might ask "why")

                                       -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: turn a computer into a network hub?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:38:11 -0700

Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:

> Hi, I was told that computers (with enough network cards) can be made to
> act like network hubs in linux but I have not been able to find any
> information on how to do this <assuming it really is possible>.  If
> anyone could point me to some information about this I would really
> appreciate it!
>
>                                        -Gaiko

It's possible, but it'd be cheaper, and easier to config with a real
hardware hub.
Unless you already have a bunch of network cards around, and still,
you're limited to how many slots you can use in your computer.

A small, 5-8 ports  10Mb hub can be had for about $45US.

Alex Lam.

> Gaikokujin Kyofusho

*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: VBF-Ratingen GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sending emails over a network
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:08:04 +0200

Holger van Koll schrieb:

> VBF-Ratingen GmbH schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Hi!!
> >
> >I've got a network (TCP/IP) with one Linux-Server (Samba) and a few
> >Windows-Clients. As I have an ISDN-card in the Linux-Server, I want to
> >use it from the Windows-CLients. That means, I want to be able to send
> >an email from a Windows-Client over the ISDN-card in the Linux-Server.
> >Basically, I think it can't be a too big problem: the mail is sent over
> >the network to the server, and it transmits it... But, I have now idea
> >how to get that working :-)
>
> the isdn-card works already?

Sadly though, it doesn't work.. But if I can't get the other things
working, I'll put the card out again... :-)

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vpn Question
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:16:23 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <7mvran$47g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> For the time being this isn't a viable solution to your problem.  Linux
> Free S/WAN does not support 2.2 kernels as of yet.

NB: does not *reliably* support 2.2 kernels yet.

You can set it up and use it, but there are certain problems, particularly
with very large packets (e.g. at or larger than the MTU) causing the system
to crash.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: VBF-Ratingen GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help.... Wanna replace NT with Linux.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:26:26 +0200

Das Konfigurieren von Samba ist eingentlich ziemlich einfach... sieh dir
mal die Datei /etc/smb.conf an, plus the HOWTOs/Manpages,.... Wenn ich
dir meine schicken soll, oder du weitere Fragen hast, mail mir einfach!!

Das mit dem DNS-Server ist eigentlich auch nicht schwer (glaub ich
zumindest :-) ).. Alles, was ich gemacht habe, ist, dass ich die Dateien
/etc/hosts und /etc/lmhosts angepasst habe (sind die gleichen wie an den
Windows-Rechneren), und die IP-Adresse des Linux-PCs als DNS-Server
angegeben habe... Ich weiß nicht, ob das ganz richtig ist, aber es
funktioniert :-)

Hoffe, ich konnte dir helfen!!

Rainer.

PS: was genau hast du fbei dem SMTP-Server gemacht?? Ich würde nämlich
gern über mein lokales Netz emails an den Linux-Server vefrschicken
können, der diese dann an die AUßenwelt weiterleiten soll... wenn deine
Konfiguration in diese Richtung geht, würd' ich mich freuen, wenn du mir
helfen könntest :-)

From: Jerry Craker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSM Backup + RedHat 6.0
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:38:49 -0400

I am running it just fine.  I have Linux RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-22)
with ADSM (Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.1).  I back up with nightly
incrementals scheduled.  Everything works as it should.