Linux-Networking Digest #978, Volume #11         Thu, 22 Jul 99 22:13:39 EDT

Contents:
  Re: PPP can't get remote IP address ("Terry Cox")
  Dialup Printer Configuration wanted (Evan L. Hill)
  netware + rh 6.0 (John Wang)
  Re: hook a normal printer directly up to a network? (Frank Hahn)
  internet thru lan ("BJ")
  Re: netscape (Michel Catudal)
  AT&T WorldNet Dialup/Chat script (U.V. Ravindra)
  Re: Kernel 2.3.11 - error (morphosis)
  can't seem to connect (Rich)
  general web server. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  CIPE on Alpha (Kenneth Graves)
  Re: connecting 2 machines to one DHCP connection (Doug Kelly)
  Re: linux/win (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: IP masq + NT domain authentication ("Jan Johansson")
  Re: admin user ("Jan Johansson")
  Re: Samba and Windows2000 (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Confused - DHCP/DSL - no default route (Doug Kelly)
  linuxmail.org Is being used by spammers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Confused - DHCP/DSL - no default route (Doug Kelly)
  Re: Reading Material (Allen Wong)
  nfs ("Bob Crandell")
  Re: chat does nothing to my modem (Clifford Kite)
  Re: ppp - Serial line is looped back (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Can't ping ISP (Allen Wong)
  Re: ipchains with multiple mail server IP addresses (Allen Wong)

From: "Terry Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP can't get remote IP address
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:36:16 -0700

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Evan L. Hill)
Subject: Dialup Printer Configuration wanted
Date: 22 Jul 1999 23:26:09 GMT

Could someone point me to a HOW-TO for configuring linux to use a
dialup printer.

The printer consists of a serial printer connected to a modem,
which is connected to a telephone line, with no other equipment involved.

This sort of setup is out-dated, but our company still uses a few dialup
printers.

evanh                                     __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

------------------------------

From: John Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netware + rh 6.0
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:58:33 -0400

Hi, all

    I am just curious if anyone can mount a netware volumn to a mount
point.  I cannot get it to work  I read the man pages for ncpmount.  It
says IPX has to be configured.  Then I read the man page  for
ipx_configure, ipx_interface.  I got totally confused.  Any clues, or
any HOW-TOs outthere?

Thanks

jw.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: hook a normal printer directly up to a network?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:49:44 GMT

On 22 Jul 1999 01:07:27 GMT, Human <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>But then the problem will be how could I print postscript or from
>netscape to that printer on the network using external print server?
>
>Ihave successful in putting the printer on the network which share by
>some windoz (NT/98) machines with some linux machines.  The only problem
>I have is I can print plain text tto the printer from linux but dont
>know how to put in filter for print under netscape or others.  The
>HOW-TO only mentioned the filter if you are connecting the machine to
>the linux machine directly, but didnt mention if the printer is on
>network.  Would someone able to give me some hints on that?

Take another look at the Printing-Howto.  I thought it covered this
scenario.  I think basically you want two entries in your /etc/printcap
file.  The first entry does your conversion from Postscript to PCL (or
text) and this points to your second entry which them sends this output
to your remote printer.

I set up a sort of filter which uses Ghostscript and then redirects
the output back to a filter which then sends the output back to the
Windows machine via the smbprint script.

=====/usr/local/bin/filter====================
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=-
- | \lpr -P smb-remote -U$5
=====End======================================

It has been awhile since I did this.  I have no idea what the -U$5
is for.

========Portion of /etc/printcap==============
#Remote HP LaserJet 4L
smb:\
       :lp=/dev/null:\
       :sh:\
       :mx#0:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj:\
       :if=/usr/local/bin/filter:
#
#Remote HP LaserJet 4L
smb-remote:\
       :lp=/dev/null:\
       :sh:\
       :mx#0:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj:\
       :if=/usr/local/samba/bin/smbprint:
======End==================================

The above is for an HP connected to a Windows 95 machine but it
should give you an idea on how to solve your problem.

As always, your mileage may vary.

--
Frank Hahn

"That must be wonderful!  I don't understand it at all."

------------------------------

From: "BJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: internet thru lan
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:00:45 -0000

hi
i work at a small computer firm, and we just installed linux on an old box
just to try it out. Everything works fine, except when we try to connect to
the WWW, netscape displays a little of the page, and tries to load the rest,
but in 2-3 minutes we get the "connection reset by peer" message. The
network is 3 win9x boxes and the linux box, and a server running NT (it was
there when i started). All the others can connect fine, and i can ping all
of them in linux, so the network is ok....any ideas on what's going on?
thanks
BJ

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: 22 Jul 1999 19:12:05 -0500

Thomas C Sobczynski wrote:

> Holczhammer Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I use netscape (4.5) under linux. When I click on a mailto-tag, netscape
> > close itself automatically. Why?
>
> Did you download the full communicator, or navigator standalone?
>
> > (It was funny when I downloaded 35M from an 42M file)
>
> Um, what made you think this would work at all, if you didn't download
> the whole thing?  Download the newest Communicator, 4.61 I believe,
> install it, and try again.

That would be a bad move since 4.51 crash on many installation. I've
got 3 PC so far that crash with these versions. 4.5 works sort of OK.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (U.V. Ravindra)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: AT&T WorldNet Dialup/Chat script
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:57:06 -0700

I am looking for a script that I can use to dial up my AT&T
WorldNet account with.

Incidentally, has anyone used TCI @ Home with Linux (I have SuSE 6.1
on my machine) before?  If so, any specific things I need to be aware
of, if I want to switch to @Home?

Any/all help will be greatly appreciated.

--
:-R

------------------------------

From: morphosis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.3.11 - error
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:43:48 -0500

Frederik Meerwaldt wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>     I downloaded today Kernel 2.3.11 from kernel.org.
>     BTW: I have installed suse linux 6.0.
>     I decompressed it and done:
>     - make menuconfig
>     - make dep
>     - make modules
>     - make modules_install
>     Till now, everything went allright.
>     Until I wanted to do a make zImage.
>     It aborted. Error 1 [vmlinuz]. Something with smbfs.o is not right.
> He said Procedures not defined or sth. like that.
>     What's wrong?? Waht have I done wrong??.

        Obviously you are not a programmer/developer.  Therefore you will not
be able to contribute to the development series of the Great Linux
kernel.

        You can either learn programming, or stay with the stable series of the
kernel.

        You must read the Kernel-HOWTO!
        Kernels with numbering 2.odd_number_here.x are development series.
        Kernel with numbering 2.even_number_here.x are stable series.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich )
Subject: can't seem to connect
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:08:50 GMT

I just set up a linux redhat 6.0, I can ping the box but when I try to
telnet in it takes a long time to make the connection and then the
login does not get validated.  I'm trying to login as root.  It seems
like a combination of network settings and user rights  Anyone have
any ideas?  I'm new to linux any help would be apreciated.  Thanks in
advance.
Rich

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: general web server.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:23:16 GMT

Hey all.

 A friend would like to set up a small company web server (minimal
traffic) from their ISDN connection.  I'm a relative newbie to linux (I
have setup linux/apache within a LAN environment before) and internet
networking and have a few general questions to ask before I go digging
to find out how to do this.

1. is this generally possible (they have a registered domain name and I
believe the ISDN provides a static IP address)?

2. They currently work in a Mac LAN environment.  would the linux box
be able to connect to this network in a "proxy"/firewall/webserver roll
without impacting their ability to access the internet in thier current
manner?

cheers,
pete.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Graves)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: CIPE on Alpha
Date: 23 Jul 1999 01:06:17 GMT

Has anyone succeeded in getting CIPE to work on an Alpha?

I'm trying with cipe-1.3.0 (configured with -enable-idea) on RedHat
6.0 (kernel 2.2.5), but I can't get the module to compile.  I could
clean up a few things (multiple definitions of htonl, etc.), but am
stuck on:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -I. -I../. -I/usr/src/linux/include -include\
 ./config.h  -funroll-loops -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer\
 -g -O2 -o module.o -c .././module.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:11,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fs.h:163,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:13,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:8,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/malloc.h:4,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/skbuff.h:132,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/netdevice.h:131,
                 from ../cipe.h:123,
                 from .././module.c:15:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/current.h:4: global register variable follows a\
 function definition
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/current.h:4: warning: call-clobbered register used\
 for global register variable

<asm/current.h> contains:
#ifndef _ALPHA_CURRENT_H
#define _ALPHA_CURRENT_H

register struct task_struct *current __asm__("$8");

#endif /* !(_ALPHA_CURRENT_H) */

Removing the "register" results in a module that hangs the kernel.

Any suggestions welcome.

--kag

------------------------------

From: Doug Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting 2 machines to one DHCP connection
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:10:10 -0600

Eric Wyles wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am a student at a university where we have ethernet 10
> bast T connections in the on
> campus housing. Each room has one connection and our IP
> address is obtained via DHCP.
>
> I have a Windows 98 machine and a Linux machine and I would
> like to let bot of them have
> access to the network and the internet as well as access to
> each other.
>
> What is the best way to go about this? with an ethernet hub?
>
> I'm really new to ethernet networking, so any help, even
> very basic help, is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

You basically have 1 or 2 options, depending on how the DHCP server is
implemented.

Chances are, you can also simply get a hub, and plug everyone into the
hub. Both the Win machine and Linux box will broadcast to the DHCP
server, and get appropriate addresses. It's possible to set up DHCP so
that you require a unique hostname to pass to the server, and if that's
the case you'd have to get id's for both machines, or else only use 1 at
a time.  [ I'm doing this with my DSL connection, and it works fine. The
wierd thing is that the two machines usually end up on different subnets
- wierd, but it works] Costs you a hub, which is probably pretty cheap

Setting up the Linux box as a firewall/masquerading router will work
regardless of your situation - there is lots of info on how to do this
in the newsgroups and HOWTO's. In a nutshell, you get 2 NIC's for the
linux box, and hook one up to the network (configured for DHCP) and hook
the Win box up to the other (static addresses).

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux/win
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:04:02 GMT

Samba is definentely something to get.  It takes a little work to get Win9x
or WinNT to connect to it, but I would say it's worth-while.  To do a basic
Linux->Win/Win->Linux, you need two ethernet adapters, 10- or 100- BaseT
(one for Linux, one for Win9x) and either a crossover cable or an ethernet
hub that has a crossover mode and two straight cables.  Hubs are more
expensive, but allow for expansion later on.  Install the ethernet adapters
and make sure they both work.  Hook the two together (either via hub or
crossover cable).  Make sure that you assign IP addresses (on Linux, it
should be done at install, on Wintel, do it using the network control panel
[make sure you have TCP/IP installed for Win9x]).  Try pinging from Windows
to Linux and Linux to Windows.  If it works, you should be able to do HTTP,
FTP, Gohper, Telnet, etc., plus Samba.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP masq + NT domain authentication
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:34:13 GMT

>Is there a fundamental limitation to IP masq which keeps it from doing
>NT domain authentication?  Am I just setting it up incorrectly?  Anyone
>have a workaround module like for FTP?

You have to be able to reach the NT PDC via a broadcast message.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: admin user
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:35:43 GMT

mango wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>how do I make a super user = to root

Install sudo, then read the manuals.

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba and Windows2000
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:07:42 GMT

Make sure you enable encrypted passwords for Samba or install the
registry fix for 2000 to make it accept plain text passwords.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Doug Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Confused - DHCP/DSL - no default route
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:18:27 -0600

I've had US West DSL up and running for about 8 months now, and have
been extremely happy with it. I've got masquerading set up for a couple
boxes on my private network, and everyone is happy.

But...
 I took a look at my routing tables, and there is no default route set
up.  I had assumed that dhcpcd would set up a default route , but I'm
now a bit confused as to how Linux routes things if there is no
default.  It doesn't appear to matter which order the interfaces are
configured, the routing works either way.
 Looking in /etc/dhcpcd/hostinfo-eth1 it appears that a ROUTER parameter
is being sent, and setting up the default route with this as the gateway
doesn't hurt anything, but I guess I can't be certain it's actually
doing anything either.

So, I'm not having any problems, but I'm now just a bit uncomfortable
that things aren't working the way I thought they were.  Any
enlightenment is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linuxmail.org Is being used by spammers
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:20:10 -0400

Help fight spammers from giving linux a bad name.
linuxmail.org is being used for spamming.  Help Shut them Dowm.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                   From:
                         "Jen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                  Subject:
                         Do you offer a product or service?
                      To:
                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    Date:
                         Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:20:32 -0500
                         8bit
                         8001
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                              ARE YOU A MERCHANT?

                    EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF PLASTIC

                                            AND

                          ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS NOW!

                                      INTERNET
                                    STOREFRONT
                                  HOMEBASED OR
                          MAIL ORDER BUSINESSES

                             JUST $9.95 TO START

                          NO APPLICATION FEE
                         NO PROGRAMMING FEE

DON'T FORGET TO ASK ABOUT OUR WEB DESIGN, WEB HOSTING AND SHOPPING
CART PRODUCTS!

CALL (888) 264-9272  9AM - 6PM MST

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/
Please remove at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=remove

From: Doug Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Confused - DHCP/DSL - no default route
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:25:02 -0600

Doug Kelly wrote:

> I've had US West DSL up and running for about 8 months now, and have
> been extremely happy with it. I've got masquerading set up for a couple
> boxes on my private network, and everyone is happy.
>
> But...
>  I took a look at my routing tables, and there is no default route set
> up.  I had assumed that dhcpcd would set up a default route , but I'm
> now a bit confused as to how Linux routes things if there is no
> default.  It doesn't appear to matter which order the interfaces are
> configured, the routing works either way.
>  Looking in /etc/dhcpcd/hostinfo-eth1 it appears that a ROUTER parameter
> is being sent, and setting up the default route with this as the gateway
> doesn't hurt anything, but I guess I can't be certain it's actually
> doing anything either.
>
> So, I'm not having any problems, but I'm now just a bit uncomfortable
> that things aren't working the way I thought they were.  Any
> enlightenment is appreciated.

ooops. Config is RedHat 5.2/kernel 2.0.36, dhcpcd 0.7

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reading Material
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:20:29 -0700

Adam,

    There is plenty to read at the Red Hat website.  Just click on
"Linux Documentation".

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: "Bob Crandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nfs
Date: 22 Jul 1999 16:52:00 -0800

We have nfs working between 2 Linux machines in 2 different cities over 56K
frame.
My question is:  Is nfs inherently slow?  Is there a way to speed it up?

We are working out way through a list of possibilities of connecting to a
Novell server without stuffing IPX through the wire.

I'm interested in nfs for now.
Thanks already.

--
Could you respond to this news group, please so others could learn from
this too?

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: chat does nothing to my modem
Date: 22 Jul 1999 20:06:54 -0500

Christian Eitner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Problem: if I want to establish PPP- connection to my ISP (via pppd-
: script) my modem does not respond to any strings chat sends. Logging
: on via minicom is ok (ppp starts, all that garbage), but won't work
: with the scripts.
: I went through tons of available documentation, but they all assume
: that chat works well. How can I tell chat which serial port to use?

You don't tell chat what serial port to use, you tell pppd and it passes
the information on to pppd.  It sounds like you are trying to use chat
as a standalone program.  Chat is made to work with pppd and while
it can be made to work somewhat by itself it's just not worth the effort.

: (/dev/ttyS0 in my case). I tell pppd to use /dev/ttyS0 but no reaction
: with chat (in minicom I can send all Reset- or whatever-
: configuration- strings (AT...), it just works).

If you are using chat with pppd then use it with the -v option and
log for chat messages in one of the files in /var/log .  If you're
not doing this then try this link:

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: ppp - Serial line is looped back
Date: 22 Jul 1999 19:57:34 -0500

Cameron Gregg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I am trying to setup ppp access. I am using  ppp-on ppp-off sheel scripts.

: It fails everytime. My /var/log/messages file reports the following:

: Jul 23 01:09:12 localhost pppd[852]: Serial connection established.
: Jul 23 01:09:12 localhost pppd[852]: Using interface ppp0
: Jul 23 01:09:12 localhost pppd[852]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
: Jul 23 01:09:13 localhost pppd[852]: Serial line is looped back.
: Jul 23 01:09:13 localhost pppd[852]: Connection terminated.
: Jul 23 01:09:13 localhost pppd[852]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
: Jul 23 01:09:14 localhost pppd[852]: Exit.

This likely means that the chat script has failed to give the ISP what
it needs to start PPP at it's end, or perhaps has terminated in some manner
that is less than graceful (of course the ISP doesn't get what it needs
in this case either).

You can find this and other causes for "looped back" in the PPP-HOWTO.
You can use the chat -v option, and and the pppd debug option just in
case the chat script is not at fault, and examine the logs in /var/log .
You can post the chat script and the logs for an option from the group.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 1 to 10:

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't ping ISP
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:47:21 -0700

Mike,

    I see two possible problems.  First, check to make sure that you set
the default gateway on your Win 95 to point to your Linux box.  Second,
check to make sure that ipchains permits ICMP packets to pass through in
both directions.  "ping" uses the ICMP protocol.
    Instead of "ping", you may want to try traceroute; I believe that in
Windows the command is tracert (not sure about this).

Allen

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipchains with multiple mail server IP addresses
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:52:19 -0700

Dan,

    A simple and less secure option would be just to open port 110 to
all IP addresses.  Or, if the mail servers are all in the same family of
addresses you could use "-s 123.456.789.0/24".  Good luck!

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.