From: Suresh Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LinkSys EtherPCI LAN Card II
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:55:44 -0400

I have a LinkSys EtherPCI LAN Card II, which was working under NT and
Win95. I am planning to migrate the box to Linux5.2, I am not sure this
card is supported? if yes where can I get the drivers

Suresh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp,linux.dev.ppp,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: ISDN Difficulties with LCP negotiation
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:21:34 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:05:25 +0200, "Wout Verschueren"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why not using wvdial. It does a lot of things automaticly for you.

WvDial is a replacement for chat.  It won't help the problem as its
with pppd.

-chrome
---
"Victims, aren't we all?" - The Crow
http://www.heckman.net/chrome for codes & keys.

------------------------------

From: "Ashley Cambrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DNS setup for subnetworking
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:15:42 +1000

Hi all,

just wondering how you split up the domain name dns files when you subnet.

eg.  originally 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0  and had two files pz/eagle.au.com
&    pz/192.168.1

do i now make these pz/eagle.au.com (keep it the same but update the ip
addresses)  &  pz/192.168.1    &     pz/192.168.2   ???

hope you understand it..

Thank everyone!!

Ashley Cambrell

------------------------------

From: VBF-Ratingen GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:04:30 +0200

Brian Leung schrieb:

> Hi,
> I have edit the smb.conf file with workgroup=home1 which is the domain
> name of my NT server. I can see my linux on the network neighborhood in
> NT. When I click it, it asks me to login. So, I login as root with
> password because the security=user in the smb.conf file.However, my
> login is fused. Why?

As far as I know it's not that simple. You must have the account you're
logged onto Nt with also on your Linux-Box (eg. if you are logged onto
NT with 'myname', you must have an user 'myname' under linux). Then, you
must login with a password you have configured with smbpasswd (smbpasswd
-a myname)....
Mail me under [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have any questions :-)

Rainer.

------------------------------

From: "macroman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RAS in redhat 5.2
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:53:21 +0530

hello every body
please help me how to config ras in redhat linux 5.2

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Installing PCMCIA with Realport 10/100
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:40:49 GMT

Hello,

  I am installing Redhat 6 on my Tecra 780 Laptop. I have a Xircom
Realport 10/100 Ethernet card that I would like to use. Does anyone
know if this card is supported in RedHat 6? In addition to this I am
not sure how to install the PCMCIA Services. Since I do not need the
Network connection for install I do not select that PCMCIA option
during install. I do select the PCMCIA package when selecting packages
to install. Can anyone recommend a fairly basic tutorial/instruction on
installin PCMCIA and a subsequent Ethernet PCMCIA Card? Thanks for any
suggestions.

--

David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Ted Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Server Problem - Log file snippets attached
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:28:08 GMT

I'm attempting to set up a PPP Server to dial into.

I am able to get the modems to connect, but when my Win95 or Win98
clients attempt to send a username and password, they are rejected.

Here is my log file:

07/19 17:15:27 yS1  mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.8-Jul27
07/19 17:15:27 yS1  check for lockfiles
07/19 17:15:27 yS1  locking the line
07/19 17:15:27 yS1  lowering DTR to reset Modem
07/19 17:15:28 yS1  send: AT&F&C1&D2[0d]
07/19 17:15:29 yS1  waiting...
07/19 17:16:58 yS1  waiting for ``RING'' ** found **
07/19 17:16:58 yS1  send: ATA[0d]
07/19 17:16:58 yS1  waiting for ``CONNECT'' ** found **
07/19 17:17:09 yS1  send:
07/19 17:17:09 yS1  waiting for ``_'' ** found **
07/19 17:17:13 ##### data dev=ttyS1, pid=647, caller=none,
conn='33600/ARQ', name='', cmd='/usr/sbin/pppd', user='/AutoPPP/'

Here's what I've done.  Following the HOWTO's on the net, my
login.config in the /etc/mgetty+send fax has only one line:

/AutoPPP/ - @ /sbin/pppd +pap login

(Note, I'm using RedHat 6.0 and pppd is in sbin and not /usr/sbin)

Here's what my mgetty.config looks like:

port ttyS1
init-chat "" AT&F&C1&D2
speed 115200

My /etc/inittab has the following line appended to it:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 115200 -n 2 -D /dev/ttyS1

I've also tried:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -s 115200 -n 2 -D /dev/ttyS1

(both have the same result)

My /ppp/options looks like this:

asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.0.0
proxyarp
lock
crtscts
auth
login
modem
ms-dns (my primary dns)
ms-dns (my secondary dns)

(I've also tried this options file without the 'auth' and 'login'
parameters with no luck).

My goal is to have the login process use the system's password files so
I only have to enter accounts in one place.

A user logs in, they get connected, and they are able to work on their
projects using telnet to the console or they can also browse the web
through their connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ted

--
Ted Wagner - The world is full of fascinating
problems waiting to be solved.

http://members.tripod.com/~TedWagner/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ifconfig - unbinding a IP from a NIC card? RH 5.2
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:23:30 GMT

Help!
I accidently bound a workstation IP address to my Red Hat 5.2 server
ethernet card and and now I get the message on the workstation that I
have a IP address conflict.

Here are the commands that I did on on my Red Hat 5.2 Primary Server:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:31 200.200.200.31
/sbin/route add -host 200.200.200.31 dev eth0:31

Please post the commands that will unbind this IP from the server so
that I can reuse this IP for a workstation.

Thank You,
A new web administrator.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP connection doesn't work
Date: 23 Jul 1999 09:15:53 -0500

CNelson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: But even I haven't done the second part, I think at least the PPP server should
: response to my ping request, am I right? That's rare.

You're right.  I should have reviewed your original post before replying.
Since the Windows box at home works with the Linux box at work it looks
like the problem is with the home setup rather than the office setup.

There are frame errors showing on the ifconfig output.  In the case of
two Linux boxes the likely causes are a mismatch in speed configurations
or capabilities, or a mismatch in the type of handshaking between the
modem and pppd.

One thing to look at is the modem's UART on the home box.  A 16450
won't work well if the pppd speed option is greater than 14400-28800 .
While the 16550A is very common there were a few 16550's produced and
these are broken.  Check to see if the UART type configured for the
device file matches the UART type the modem is actually using.

Another thing to check for the home box is whether the pppd crtscts
option is present and whether the modem profile includes &K3 .

If these suggestions don't help then pppd debug logs from the home machine
would be useful.

: Can you leave me your email address so I can send to you a copy also? Thanks

My email address is the address seen in the header sans "NoSpam." .
In case you see something else odd in that address or the address in
my signature my address is  "kite at inetport dot com", with proper
translation.

Email is OK as long as I can post the final resolution here if I think
it useful to do so.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

------------------------------

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting 2 machines to one DHCP connection
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:05:11 -0500

Eric Wyles wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am a student at a university where we have ethernet 10
> bast T connections in the on
> campus housing. Each room has one connection and our IP
> address is obtained via DHCP.
>
> I have a Windows 98 machine and a Linux machine and I would
> like to let bot of them have
> access to the network and the internet as well as access to
> each other.
>
> What is the best way to go about this? with an ethernet hub?
>
> I'm really new to ethernet networking, so any help, even
> very basic help, is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

  I am assuming they are not blocking multiple IP's per room. Most
don't. If this is a case, drop $50 on a 4port 10BaseT hub with an uplink
port, plug the uplink port into the jack in the wall and the computers
into the other ports. Should work from there. Otherwise, Masquerading is
the only way to go. Good luck.
--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--

------------------------------

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie problem...Dual ethernet cards
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:57:29 -0500

BH wrote:

> Ok, I am an extreme newbie here, so any and all help is appreciated.
>
> One of my computers is based on a QDI LegenX DP motherboard with an
> onboard Intel 10/100 NIC. The problem is that this NIC stopped Rx'ing
> about 3 months ago, so I installed a Realtek 8139 PCI 10/100 card.
> Since the onboard NIC cannot be disabled, the machine basically had
> two operational ethernet controllers. Now, at the time I did it, the
> machine was NT only and it worked fine.
>
> The problem is that I just installed Mandrake 6.0 on it last week. The
> Mandrake installation detected and set up the Intel NIC, but I can't
> get it to do anything with the Realtek card. I found a module file
> called rtl8139.c on the Internet, but I'm clueless as to what I do
> with it.
>
> Can anyone explain what I need to do/point me to a good walkthrough? I
> found everything I need to configure the network AFTER the card is
> recognized, but I'm lost as to the first step here.
  You need to enable experimental drivers in the kernel config. The
realtek drivers are still in that category for whatever reason. They
should work fine. After you rebuild the kernel, but before doing a make
install, add this line to /etc/lilo.conf, just after the line that has
image = /vmlinuz or image = /boot/vmlinuz, add the line
        append = "ether=0,0,eth1"
and then do a make install. This will tell the kernel that two cards
exist and you want to use them both. Good luck.

From: Jamie Guinan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Simultaneous network/IDE traffic = reboot
Date: 23 Jul 1999 15:31:13 GMT

Oops, I spoke too soon.  After the downgrade to RH 5.2, the
same problems started again a few hours later.
So we just did a new install (RH 6.0) on a new hard drive and
we'll see what happens.

I neglected to mention the hardware in enough detail last
time, so for future news archive archaeologists, here's
some dmesg output for you to sift through...

Linux version 2.2.5-15 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Apr 19 23:00:46
EDT 1999
Detected 451027283 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 450.56 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127972k/131008k available (996k kernel code, 412k reserved, 1568k
data, 60k init)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
Pentium-III serial number disabled.
CPU: Intel 00/07 stepping 02
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.26 (19981001) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0720
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x0b (Driver version 1.9)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC310200R, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC AC418000D, ATA DISK drive
hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: WDC AC310200R, 9787MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1247/255/63
hdb: WDC AC418000D, 17206MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=2193/255/63
hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: using high-speed MMX checksum routine
   pII_mmx   :  1098.423 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  1061.085 MB/sec
   8regs     :   776.859 MB/sec
   32regs    :   558.546 MB/sec
using fastest function: pII_mmx (1098.423 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
 hdb: hdb1
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
Adding Swap: 136548k swap-space (priority -1)
3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xb000,  00:50:04:87:00:dd, IRQ 11
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 7849.
  MII transceiver found at address 0, status 7849.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
nfsd_init: initialized fhcache, entries=256

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: PPP to Shiva LanRover from Linux
Date: 23 Jul 1999 11:08:39 -0500

Steve Masticola (badpenny@[127.0.0.1]) wrote:

: Clifford Kite wrote:

: > I guess you are sure that PAP or CHAP must be used in this way
: > but it's new to me.

: I'm not sure. But I think it's a reasonable inference, based on the
: procedures for installing and using "Shiva Security Pack" that I have
: here. See below.

: > Sounds gruesome even for Shiva.

: Yep.  Shiva, as I'm certain you know, wrote something for Windows that
: does roughly the same thing that pppd does for Linux. But their
: authentication assumes that the user is authenticated, not the machine.

: Step 10 below is the kicker. The 4-digit passcode plus SecurID code are
: entered into a text field as a single string, and are used (apparently
: by SPAP, given the verbiage about spap.vxd) during authentication.  My
: hope is that the Shiva box will use PAP the same way.

Yes, I'd agree that it is the kicker.  I wish you luck but doubt that
you'll get to use PAP in the same way.  No one except a Shiva engineer
knows exactly what SPAP does but after reading this I'd guess that the
passcode, or perhaps just the SecurID code, is probably obscured in
some way by the Windows machine SPAP before sending it over the wire.
It seems doubtful that the security weenies would leave PAP as an option.

: BTW, I even went so far as to talk to an engineer at Shiva about this
: problem.  I gathered from his response that Shiva has no intention of
: ever supporting dial-up interoperability with any version of Unix,
: including Linux. (I hope that netadmins will note this for future
: product reviews.)

Microsoft and Shiva deserve each other.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: Brian Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:14:17 +0800

Thanks. But, can anyone give me some web pages which tell about this topic
more clearly?

------------------------------

From: "yapwm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie question on Token ring
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:40:40 +0800

Hi,
My linux experience is only less than 4 hours, after following PC World
installation guide from the Web. Try to get Token ring to work on Red Hat
6.0. Can't get it
auto recognize during installation. How do i configure a network card to
work. Read about control panel somewhere but where and how do i access it.
Do i have to get a driver or does it comes as default.

Thanks.