Linux-Networking Digest #992, Volume #11         Sat, 24 Jul 99 07:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Re: netscape (James Stafford)
  Apache 1.3.6 and CGI ("PiotrCF")
  Re: netscape (James Stafford)
  Re: IP Masquerading and IPMASQADM (Doug)
  Re: tulip.o ("Snowi3")
  Re: tulip driver prob ("Snowi3")
  Re: tulip.o ("Snowi3")
  Re: Apache and waiting for reply (Marco)
  Re: High load average, low cpu usage when /home NFS mounted (Kelly Burkhart)
  SAMBA AND WIN9.X Resources ("jschneid")
  Re: Net2phone (Doug)
  Strange DIP problem (Richard A Lough)
  linux DNS and NT WINS ("lining")
  Re: RH6 pppd 2.3.7 - demand w/ dynamic IP? (Anders Svensson)
  Re: Traffic Shaping Linux ? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Some questions about XWin32 (Didier Belhomme)
  Re: DNS Where to config? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Is samba needed for Linux to ping Win95 computer? ("Martin C. Barlow")
  Broad Q /etc/hosts.allow et al (Wayne Allison)
  Re: How to connect a NetWare Server 2.11 (mike murray)
  Re: 486 33mhz and T1? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Poor NFS performance between Linux and Solaris (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Install PCI/ethernet-card (Joe Johnson)
  Re: How do I access Win9x or NT Shares from Linux? (haze)
  Re: Help! Printing from RH6 to Win98 doesn't work (Joe Johnson)
  Re: Use IPCHAINS to forward ext. port 80 to internal addy?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:54:32 -0700

> try this site
>
> http://www.bluemountainarts.com
>
> choose the birthday cards
>
> then you go to the second page and choose "Happy birthday to you"
>
> Have fun!
>
> --
> use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
> use Linux for safe and quick internet access
> use Winblows to test the latest viruses
> http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
> We have software, food, music, news, search,
> history, electronics and genealogy pages.

Well, I just went there and besides complaining about not having an
x-audio plug-in everything worked alright. Is this what was supposed to
happen? Now, I would like to take the time for turning me on to this
great card sight! I love to make my own greeting cards, and doing so is
just about the only thing I have to use something other than Linux for.

Again thanks a lot,

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: "PiotrCF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache 1.3.6 and CGI
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:33:30 +0200

Hi,

I have been using Apache 1.3.0 and there were no problems
with CGI sripts/programs outside the main cgi-bin directory.
Now I have changed to Apache 1.3.6 and they don't work!

This is what I have in the httpd.conf file:

Directory /home/piotrcf/public_html/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI -Includes
SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

(and there is also AddHandler cgi-script .cgi).

The same program placed in the main cgi-bin directory works
without problems, and placed in /home/piotrcf/public_html/cgi-bin
does not, producing an error message (i.e. Apache produces it):

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator (...)"

And the log file (httpd.error_log) states:

[Sat Jul 24 10:20:09 1999] [error] Premature end of script headers:
/home/piotrcf/public_html/cgi-bin/hello.cgi

??? Premature end? Exactly the same binary file works in /cgi-bin!
Who knows how to bring it to work? (yes, I have restarted Apache)

Regards
Piotr

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:57:37 -0700

Alex Harrington wrote:

> I am having lots of trouble with Communicator 4.61.
>
> It keeps loosing config options that I set - most noticably news
> servers.
>
> eg. I remove the default (news) and replace it with a real one
> (news.domain.com). Five minuites or so later, the default (news) is
> back  as well as the real news server. The only cure I have found is to
> manually edit the roaming access profile (liprefs) file - not exactly
> convienient!
>
> Alex -

And why didn't you just use that default news server instead of doing
all that hacking? I'm using it right now.

jamess

From: Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading and IPMASQADM
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:10:03 GMT

Braden Walters wrote:

> I am running kernel 2.2.10 with IP_MASQ options configured.  However,
> any command I type into ipmasqadm results in an error message:
>
> dlopen(): file not found
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am missing, or at least point me in the right
> direction?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I had that prob too, and in my case i was following a howto that
mistakingly showed exaples using IPMASQ commands for the old 2.0 kernel.
So i did a man ipmasqadm i saw that the command names have changed
slightly, in my case it was ipportfw was now just portfw.
Good luck

------------------------------

From: "Snowi3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tulip.o
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:44:07 +0200

When I recompiled my kernel to 2.2.10, I also got the latest tulip.c file,
so I guess it's the most recent one

/Snowi3
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Snowi3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tulip driver prob
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:46:09 +0200

Hi

I have the exact same problem with my cnet pro 110b, so I guess it's a
problem with the chip or something. I can although compile it under
slackware, and it loads up and everything, but just like you say, no
networking works whatsoever

/Snowi3
news:7n94jd$se2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Snowi3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:43:08 +0200

Heh

Don't think it's neither the cable nor the female connectors, since it all
works fine when I run windows

/Snowi3
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Marco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Apache and waiting for reply
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:32:32 +0200

Did you setup / configured DNS on the client and serverside ?
When your client can ping www.xxxxxxx you have to setup DNS on the
serverside.

Raymond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have set up an Apache server at home and I can get a response when I
>
> ping my ServerName as defined in httpd.conf in office.  But when I use a
>
> browser to locate my Apache server, the status at the bottom of the
>
> browser just shows "Connect: Host 'My ServerName' contacted. Waiting for
>
> reply" and there is no response.  Anyone can help ?
>
> (My linux box is Kernel 2.0.33 and Apache 1.2.6)

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: High load average, low cpu usage when /home NFS mounted
From: Kelly Burkhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jul 1999 23:09:44 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto) writes:

> [posted and e-mailed]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ole Jacob Taraldset wrote:
> > The
> > /home partition is NFS mounted from [an?] SGI. When I take a look at cpu
> > usage i kpm/qps most of the cpu is idle (~85%), but load average reports
> > around 2. Isn't load average a function of cpu usage (only, mostly)? Can
> > it be that some process is running, but not showing in ps/top/kpm? I
> > feel that the system response has been reduced quite a bit after
> > upgrading to RedHat 6.0.
>
> The proc(5) man page says
>
>       loadavg
>
>       The load average numbers give the number of jobs in
>         the run queue averaged over 1, 5 and 15 minutes.
>
> Processes waiting for (slow NFS) disk operations would be in the run
> queue, but not necessarily consuming much CPU.
<snip>

Really?  I thought processes waiting on IO were not in the run queue;
only processes that were "ready to run".  Am I completely off base?

--
Kelly R. Burkhart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[The litigation] industry was, of course, up and running before the
tobacco litigation, but that taught lawyers just how lucrative it
could be to blame individuals' foolishness on, say, Joe Camel.
   -- George F. Will

------------------------------

From: "jschneid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAMBA AND WIN9.X Resources
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:44:23 +0200

hello from fuerth

i have a newbi question but can`t find the answer in the books nor in any
howto or man page.
i use suse 6.0 and configured samba, now i wan`t to connect to my other pc
using win98 on it
i can ping my win pc and get an answer but the linux pc will not show on the
win pc.
how do i get the ressources open on the linux pc and reveal him to the win
pc ?
thank`s for any help
regards
juergen

------------------------------

From: Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Net2phone
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:13:31 GMT

Roberto wrote:

> I jus set my network
>
> 1 Linux Machine (red hat 6.0)
> 2 Windows machines
>
> I was using regular modem connection to my Windows machine and Net2phone was
> very useful for me
>
> Now I have ADSL connection to my Linux box and IP masquerade to share my
> internet.
>
> I can use almost everything exept for net2phone and NetMeeting
>
> I read that I have to set the TCPPORT and UDPPORT in my windows box to use
> Net2hone. How can I know what ports numbers to use??????
>
> and someone knows the cure for NetMeeting??

The webpage at net2phone tells u to use 10000 and 10001 but i doubt it
matters.  Go here to show how to forward those ports from the linux box to te
win box
http://members.home.net/ipmasq/ipmasq-HOWTO-1.76-6.html#ss6.8
also for netmeeting pretty close to the same deal.  You can find details for it
an many others at
http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/

------------------------------

From: Richard A Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange DIP problem
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:34:13 +0100

Hi All,

I'm running Debian Linux, kernel 2.2.1, IP masq, and ppp works Ok.

I need to run DIP.

If I su to root, I can get dip to dial out ok, but
I am not allowed access to ping.

With my own account, dip runs, but ttyS1 tells me I have
no permission to open.

File permissions are

-rws--x--- root dip /usr/bin/dip

crw-r----- root dialout /dev/ttyS1

any advice gratefully received

TIA

Richard A Lough

------------------------------

From: "lining" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux DNS and NT WINS
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:32:37 +0800

Hello all,
I just met a probelm:

I use a NT PDC server to assign IP address to client (98 and NT station)
through DHCP. In the DHCP function, I point that the DNS server is my linux
server.default gateway also is linux server.this linux server connect to
internet.I runing dns and firewall on it.
The probelm is when I boot up a win98 client, client can ping internet
address successful.But it cann't recognize local network hosts successful.
It seemed win98 system bypass the NT server's Wins service.
How to resolve this problem?
If I add local hosts to lunux hosts file, ping is ok, But some win98 client
software need to access local hosts share directly, Prolbem still
happend, Could you help me?
Thanks

Li Ning
Mail to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Anders Svensson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6 pppd 2.3.7 - demand w/ dynamic IP?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:31:12 GMT

Martin Ewing wrote: >  > I need to do ppp with dial-on-demand but with dynamic IP
addressing at > my ISP.  Is this hopeless with pppd 2.3.7? >  > I know about diald,
but I was hoping for a simpler solution for my RH6 > system. >  > Thanks! >  > Martin
It works if you are not using ip masq (ipchains) - that is at least for me.  Add the
following to your /etc/ppp/options file  10.0.0.0:10.0.0.0 ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote xonxoff defaultroute debug demand idle 120  this works form me on
my linux box, but not through my local network :-|

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Traffic Shaping Linux ?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 19:05:02 -0700

"Rico Wisman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is there a program for traffic shaping under Linux ? It must traffic for 2
> Mbit.
there's some kernel support in 2.2 -- the docs say it's alpha though.
-ckm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:06:12 +0200
From: Didier Belhomme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Some questions about XWin32

Tom Pennings wrote:

> I now want to log on to the XServer of my Linux machine. I already started
> xwindows on my server. On my Windows 98 machine I made a session with XDMCP
> Query and logon to my servers IP-address. The problem is that I get my logon
> screen so I can fill in my password, but after that nothing happens anymore.
> It seems that the session is not exepted (but the password is ok otherwise
> he will say password not excepted). If I select restart after session in
> XUtil32 than I will get the logon screen again and again. Maybe I have to
> set up other things with xdm or something?...
>
> Tom

Try running X-Win32 in full-screen mode. The XDM daemon will then run a
window manager, which it cannot do when X-Win32 is running in Window
mode, because Windows 98 is the window manager in that case.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS Where to config?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 19:07:13 -0700

"Gazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where do I
> put the ip addresses of my ISP dns servers.
/etc/resolv.conf

------------------------------

From: "Martin C. Barlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is samba needed for Linux to ping Win95 computer?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:22:53 +1000

thanks
I have to research dynamic updates in bind

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wayne Allison)
Subject: Broad Q /etc/hosts.allow et al
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:30:55 +0200

Questions:

1.
If one has /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny set up,
to be as tight as be does it stop one being able to ping a remote site.
ie. ping www.yahoo.com?

I guess  yes but haven't seen it stated anywhere only in broad vague
terms ( to me that is ).

Is it that if hosts.deny exists it overrides hosts.allow or is it a
combination.

2.
If I can 'nslookup www.apple.com' and get a result shouldn't I be able
to use 'lynx' to look at that site with out it sitting for ages trying
to resolve the address
and the finally failing.

Lynx will work on some sites and not others although they all nslookup
ok.

It's the same if I 'nslookup' a ftp site and try to ftp there it'll come
back no joy.

3. Using tpcdump actually shows the address of the remote site
appearing, so I guess it's able to resolve name lookups.

4. The PPP connection seems a bit wooly in that it'll seem to connect
wait a while and then fail and yet other times it's as happy as Larry.
Is there somewhere a site that one can use to test the quality of the
connection. The results using something like traceroute would not mean
much as I'm not sure what good results would look like.

====

I guess I'm asking what can be assumed to work and what should I look at
to resolve this.

I suppose /etc/resolve.conf is OK in that it's able to nslookup OK.

I guess I'm looking for a Network Cookbook or some other FAQ that allows
one to recognise what works and what doesn't.

Any pointers to help?

--
Wayne Allison

------------------------------

From: mike murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to connect a NetWare Server 2.11
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:32:26 -0500

If your Novell_Server_2.11 is serving DOS & Windows clients the tcp ip
stuff may not be installed.
When I was converting to Linux., My 3.12 Novell_Server was not directly
accessable to the Linux box.
I could transfer files through the windows boxes. You can add the needed
info to the Novell box (2.11 is
not 2000 ready  so you have to do some upgrading soon anyway)

My solution was to replace the Novell with Linux 6.0 as a server. The
speed increase was phenomenol.
I didn't know how slow Novell really was. It's many bucks cheaper to go
with Linux vs. upgrading Novell
also  :-).

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486 33mhz and T1?
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:59:21 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Vissers) writes:

> The only issue was kernel compiles.  I'm probably exagerating, but
> it seemed to take 2 hours to compile a kernel.  That was my
> only complaint.
wimp ;  you should have seen my original linux box--a 386-33 with 4mb ram.
It did have an 80387 though.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Poor NFS performance between Linux and Solaris
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:57:04 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Warner) writes:

> I am having performance problems with NFS between a Linux client (running
> RedHat 6.0) and a Solaris server (E450 running Solaris 2.6).  The two machines
> are connected together using 100BaseT ethernet.
[snip demonstration of problem]
> Has anybody else seen a similar degredation in performance, and how can I
> fix things?  Is NFSV3 available under Linux, and if so what performance
> gains are there over NFSV2?
yes, quite a few actually.  the nfs howto has an excellent section on optimizing
performance.
-ckm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:40:33 -0500
From: Joe Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: Install PCI/ethernet-card

Anders wrote:

> How do I install my (NexNIC by unex) Ethernetcard and get my connection
> running. It comes with very little documentation.
> I have tried to do it by "make menuconfig" as a NE1000/NE2000 compatible
> card, since that was what the documentation said.
> (Yes. I did make dep, make clean, make zlilo and put the new path in
> lilo.conf)
> I'm just trying to make a workstation out of my RedHat to begin with.
> Eventually I will make it a webserver.
>
> summary:
> 1. How do I get my card running, and verify that my card works properly?
> 2. How do I get my connection with my ISP running?

>                  http://www.searchlinux.com

If the card is a PCI (ne2000) compatible you need to look under PCI devices
(not ISA). You
will find an ne2000 PCI type driver use this not the first NE2000. This
should help.

Joe Johnson    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 1(580)920-0411 (Voice)
http://www.budget-inn.com                         1(580)920-0415 (Fax)

------------------------------

From: haze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I access Win9x or NT Shares from Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:51:07 GMT

if you get a reply to this please e-mail me a copy i will do the same for you
HAZE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:49:34 -0500
From: Joe Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.config,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Help! Printing from RH6 to Win98 doesn't work

"Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote:

> Brian Hall wrote:
>
> > I am using RedHat 6, and I have not been able to print to my HP printer
> > (conneected to a Windows box) since "upgrading" it from Win95 to 98. I have
> > been able to print from another Win98 PC on my LAN, so I think the 98 print
> > server machine is configured correctly. My question is, how do I correctly
> > configure printtool to allow me to print? I thought I understood this,
> > having gotten it to work fine with Win95. I installed the Samba Win98
> > plaintext password registry hack to no avail. None of my print jobs ever
> > show up in the queue of the 98 PC. It seems that something has changed, but
> > I don't know what. Oh, the network between the Linux and 98 PCs works fine
> > (ping, http, etc). Is there a HOWTO that explains how to configure remote
> > printing from Linux (RedHat) to Win98? Thx
> >
> > BTW, I have Samba 2.0.4 installed. What do I need to configure in smb.conf
> > for remote printing to work?
>
> If you can tell me how you got win98 to work with samba, I'll be glad to help
> you with the printer problem.
>
> Add to smb.conf
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         guest ok = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> Then use "testprns".
>
> --
> Rinaldi
>
> I wish I had a nifty, gee whizzer of a sig
> that would make everyone envious of my cleverness.

To your smb.conf file under [global] add

      remote announce {IP ADDRESS OF THE WINDOWS-98 BOX}

Your global section will look something like this

[global]
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        remote announce = xx.xx.xx.xx
        default = global
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        netbios name = {server-name}
        load printers = yes
        dns proxy = no
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        server string = Samba Server

The remote announce line may have multiple IP addresses on it or even a network
sub address such as 172.0.0.0

Hope this helps.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Use IPCHAINS to forward ext. port 80 to internal addy?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:52:12 GMT

Hi!

look at
http://juanjox.kernelnotes.org/

contact me if U have questions, remove nospam
[EMAIL PROTECTED]