Linux-Networking Digest #21, Volume #12          Tue, 27 Jul 99 06:13:54 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Device or Resource busy ("Jonathon Sim")
  (3c509) Selecting 10baseT or 10base2 ? (William Park)
  Re: sendmail genericsdb (Ralf Kneemeyer)
  Q] How can I load network module? (ksjune)
  Re: to ping or not to ping...? ("Frédéric Bernard")
  Re: problems with isdn-external modem and PPP connection ("Wout Verschueren")
  mail programs, Lotus Notes R5 (Josh Miller)
  Can't use two ISA network card together? (root)
  Re: Supported Token-Ring Cards?? (Dave Lonkart)
  Re: 'netconfig' in RedHat??? ("Mak Fey Loong")
  Re: Netscape/network sharing problem. (=?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran=20L=F6fstr=F6m?=)
  Samba: Linux and Windows... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape (James Stafford)
  ISDN & (unwanted) autodialing ("Christian Heimes")
  Re: multiple NIC's ("Dylan")
  does linux look for a 2nd NIC during boot or not? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Absolute hopeless beginner stuff (@coventry.ac.uk)
  Re: Help ! Network problem.. ("Frédéric Bernard")
  3Com 3c509b ISA NIC and RH 6.0 ("F. David del Campo Hill")
  Re: Ping broken under RH6.0? ("Mark Emery")
  Re: to ping or not to ping...? ("Frédéric Bernard")
  New PGP keyserver to download (OKS announce)
  synchronous serial transfer thread: summing up so far (and more info) (PVS)
  Desperate, Need help with Diald ("ricK")

From: "Jonathon Sim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Device or Resource busy
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:09:22 +1200

I have the same problem ( I use DosLinux not Mandrake, and my NIC
is a WD8003E )- ie its not the distribution or the driver.

Suddn wrote in message ...
>I'm trying to install network support for my Mandrake 6.0 distribution of
>Linux.  My card is a EtherFast 10/100 from LinkSys.  It uses the tulip
>driver.
.
.
.

------------------------------

From: William Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: (3c509) Selecting 10baseT or 10base2 ?
Date: 27 Jul 1999 06:08:40 GMT

Hi,

My 3Com509B ethernet card uses 10BaseT (twisted pair) port by default.
How do I enable 10Base2 (coaxial) port instead?

        Yours truly,
        William Park

------------------------------

From: Ralf Kneemeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail genericsdb
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:20:25 +0200

Hi,

this is exactly what I did, but my sendmail
seems to ignore that !  :-((

Is there any option which sendmail has to be started with ?

Which line is changed ? From or Sender ?

Ralf

--
Ralf Kneemeyer

------------------------------

From: ksjune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q] How can I load network module?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:10:55 +0900

Hi...
We are using NCR4300 machine.
and would like to setup linux R.H 6
But have problem.
Network module seems like /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/defxx.c
and have set configuration using "make menuconfig"
(Network card is DEC FDDI Controller PCI)
After that kernel compiled.
make dep; make clean; make bzImage
and copy image to /boot.
and reboot.

Looking for net module but can not find that.
just compiled the file defxx.c.
And I'd like load module defxx.c
1. Modified /etc/conf.modules
2. depmod -a
3. modprobe defxx.o
(Error. compiled by......)
Please Help....

------------------------------

From: "Frédéric Bernard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: to ping or not to ping...?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:00:21 +0200

no,  NT boxes pinging does not reach my Linux one..... I posted a more
detailled message, before this one.. if it can helps...
Thanx

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:55:38 +0200
From: "Wout Verschueren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with isdn-external modem and PPP connection

I had a similar problem: for every ping i send out, i received only half of
them back.

The solution for me was in the initialization string of the modem. I had to
force the modem in a X.75 mode or equivalent used by my telecom company.

--
Wout Verschueren - Origin Belgium
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Josh Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: vmware.guest.windows-nt,vmware.guest.misc
Subject: mail programs, Lotus Notes R5
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:50:14 -0400

Hi,

I've got a beefed up RedHat 5.2 box with vmware 1.0.3 and NT 4 sp3
running as a guest. I've also got Masquerading working, and I can get to
all my local interfaces, and anywhere on the net from the virtual NT box
that runs in linux.

We run Lotus notes 4.6.3 at work.... so I downloaded the latest notes
client for NT (R5) and set it up. It connected, worked great and all,
yay!
    ...but the next time I tried getting my mail, it decided not to
work.

I can't pin down the problem. I'm guessing it's either a notes issue, or
a masquerading issue... but it could be an NT issue, or vmware-net
issue, or any number of other odd little things.

Anyone have any experiance connecting a Masq'd notes client to a Domino
server on the net?
Do I have to set up anything special with the ipchains? or port
forwarding? or anything?

I'm hoping someone can give me a hint here, cause I haven't delved into
maquerading much just yet, and I don't care much for playing with NT.

Thanks in advance,

Josh I.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't use two ISA network card together?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:41:54 +0800

Hi,
        I tried to install a second ISA network card onto my machine to perform
as a router. Both cards are ISA cards by Genius. The first card (eth0)
work well, and actually the system can detect my second card correctly.
Other machine can ping my second network card (eth1) successfully, but
the strange thing is I cannot use the second card to ping any other
machine. It seems that when I use ping, only the first card is used. I'm
sure that I've activate both card. But the second card works well when
the eht0 is de-activated.
        Thanks in advance.
Byron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Lonkart)
Subject: Re: Supported Token-Ring Cards??
Date: 26 Jul 1999 19:17:02 GMT

In article <7nhfdg$hs0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Steve Horejsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
> am Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:50:26 -0700 in comp.os.linux.networking:
> SH> Sean;
>
> SH>  Linux support of Token Ring is limited to the IBM 'Tropic' chipset which was
> SH> also used by other manufacturers. In general, all ISA cards and all
> SH> (gasp!) MicroChannel cards (with the exception of the 'Streamer' models) will
> As I remember, there was an anoucement from Olicom to support their TR cards.
>
> mfG
>       Jojo
> --
> - Professionelle Linux Server,   Professioneller Support und Dienstleistungen
> - AutomatiX GmbH  - Vollautomatische Kransteuerungen & SAP fähiges Lagergerät
> - Jürgen Sauer Neue Str. 11 28790 Schwanewede              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - +49 4209-4699 +49 172-5466499  FAX  +49 4209 4644   http://www.automatix.de

You might also want to try www.linuxtr.net, the Linux Token Ring Project home
page.  Under the 2.0.X kernel, a single Tropic card does work.  Under 2.2,
multiple cards are supported by some drivers.  I know the IBM Olympic cards
(PCI) work and are supported for multiple cards.  See the web page for a list
of cards and drivers.

------------------------------

From: "Mak Fey Loong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'netconfig' in RedHat???
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:33:27 +0800

In RH6.0 we use linuxconf or netconf for configuration setting

Mark
news:7nj1cv$1brn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran=20L=F6fstr=F6m?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape/network sharing problem.
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:25:37 +0000

Peter Buelow wrote:

> Göran Löfström wrote:
> >
> > Monte Phillips wrote:

>   You might try checking your MTU and some of the various other PPP and
> IP settings. MTU being the most visible and probably the most effective.
> Most sources will tell you to set you MTU for a ppp connection via a
> modem to 576. You can find a whole lot of info on optimizing PPP
> connections with just a little browsing of the web, therefore, I won't
> go into that here. Also, I don't care how fast a modem you have (unless
> it is a cable modem), downloading a 20MB file and then expecting good
> bandwidth for other apps is a little presumptious. You may look into
> this as part of the problem. Good luck

Monte,

I am not expecting good bandwidth, I simply want a more effective
sharing of the bandwidth that I have. Running under Windoze, I get a
-much- better distribution of bandwith, and I would very much like to
get the same under Linux.

Thanks for the tip concerning the MTU size. I'll look into it.

/Göran.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Samba: Linux and Windows...
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:07:28 GMT

Hi to all linux users and developers,
I use Linux in a Windows NT network.
Can somebody tell me:
1) how can I see a NT resource (for example a shared directory) on
Linux? Samba or smbclient are the right tools?
2) more important, how can I see a LINUX resource on my Windows NT? Is
there a tool I can use to access to my Linux resources without making
manually ftp all times?

Thank you very much for any help.

Ludwig

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:19:10 -0700

Alex Harrington wrote:

> Because I want to talk to my own news server, not the one at my ISP
> > Alex -

Maybe if you just left the original news server there and then add your
own news server, hi-light your news server and then click set as
default.

jamess

--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: "Christian Heimes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN & (unwanted) autodialing
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:44:54 +0200

I have linuxserver with SuSE 6.1 and an AVM-B1 isdn-card.

The /sbin/init.d/i4l_hardware and /sbin/init.d/i4l is started and the
default gateway is ippp0.
Each time I start my linuxserver, it want's to dial in (but it doesn't,
because it is in "dialmode off").

The error message is: "server1 kernel: isdn_net: ippp0: dial rejected:
interface not in dialmode `auto', signalling dst_link_failure"

When I delete the default routing, this error message occurred:
"server1 named[270]: ns_forw: sendto([128.8.10.90].53): Network is
unreachable"

I think, the BIND DNS wants to check some other nameservers.
How can I solve this problem (I need another way to configure the
isdn-network or another configuration for
my DNS)

thanx

Christian Heimes

=============
/etc/route.conf
# internes Netzwerk "cocbit.de"
192.168.0.0             0.0.0.0                 255.255.255.0           eth0

# ISDN-Netz
192.168.0.254           0.0.0.0                 255.255.255.255
ippp0

# DHCP-Alias fuer ein dummes Betriebssystem ;-)
255.255.255.255         0.0.0.0                 255.255.255.255         eth0

# alle unbekannten IPs ins Internet routen
default 192.168.0.254
==========
/etc/named.boot
directory       /var/named
cache   .       root.cache
primary cocbit.de       cocbit.de
primary 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA    127.0.0
primary 0.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA  192.168.0

------------------------------

From: "Dylan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: multiple NIC's
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:49:18 +0200

Maybe you should try:

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x240,0x350 irq =5,9

It works for me!

Dylan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: does linux look for a 2nd NIC during boot or not?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:28:05 GMT

Is it really true that

> By default a stock Linux kernel probes for a single ethercard, and once one is found
>the probe ceases.

as stated in the multiple ethernet card howto?

I have a machine that detected a second Netgear NIC just for having
plugged it into the PCI bus.

And I have another that didn't, and where even the explicit remedy
append="ether=0,0,eth1" in lilo.conf, suggested by the howt,  wasn't
effective (though some later slot shuffling happened to work).

------------------------------

From: @coventry.ac.uk
Subject: Absolute hopeless beginner stuff
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:17:27 +0100

All,
    I wonderwhther anybody out there can help me. I'm currently studing
Information Technology for Management at Coventry University (UK), and
my summer placement requires me to produce a comparison and feasibility
study of networking operating systems for a local company. Problem: so
far, technical issues have been an absolutely minute part of my course,
and I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting to grips with this. I
need to evaluate SuSe Linux 6.0 against Red Hat against NT Server 4
against Netware 3.12 against Netware 5, producing a papaer report, and
potentially a test plan. The company I'm with over the summer are
running 17 old PCs of various sorts from a PII 350 file server on
NetWare 3.12, and feel that their Fast Ethernet LAN is underperforming.
My most immediate thought is that the scanned images which comprise most
of their day to day information are more likely to be slowing the system
down than the OS.
1. Advice at about the 'For Dummies' level would be nice.
2. If not here, can anybody recommend any sites or newsgroiups which
would be more appropriate?
3. Books, periodical articles, anything.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Burgoyne.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Frédéric Bernard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help ! Network problem..
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:36:52 +0200

Thanx for the tips !

>Disabled pnp on that nic? (dos setup-util for it at 3com)

I had to do that at the start, because the card wasn't recognized...

>And, it beeing a combo card, have you either set the nic to the right
>tranceiver with the setup-util, or pointed the driver to the right
>tranceiver?  (and turned off full-duplex if it happends to be set to
>that.)

Ok, i'll do it.. Full-duplex isn't supported ?

------------------------------

From: "F. David del Campo Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3Com 3c509b ISA NIC and RH 6.0
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:40:03 +0100

        I am trying to make this card work on a fresh installation of
Red Hat Linux 6.0. After a lot of effort I have managed to make it work
from the control-panel, but I can't make it run at boot up.

        I have deactivated the PnP in the card and selected the
"Activate interface at boot time" in the edit menu of the Network
Configurator/Interfaces. When I boot up it just says that the eth0 start

up has failed, but if I activate it manually from the Network
Configurator/Interfaces, it works!

        The user has a dual bootable machine, so leaving it like that is

not an option. Any ideas?

        Thank you for your time,

                                F. David del Campo Hill

------------------------------

From: "Mark Emery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ping broken under RH6.0?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:26:58 +0100

Mark Emery wrote in message <7nh565$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> Now that I've got the system upgraded to 6.0 with all of the
> current updates ping just grinds to a halt.

What I ment by that was that ping keeps on sending packets rather than
timing out and returning an non-zero error status. As a result the script
never finishes.

MarkE

------------------------------

From: "Frédéric Bernard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:37:06 +0200

I got an email answer that gave me some ideas, but i still have the same
problem.. here is a few things i made...
(thanx to bill..)

Do you think that using 192.1.x.y could be a reason to my problem ?
Since your answer, i applied the 3c5x9 dos-configuration program, and i
disabled PNP (it was already done),
and i choosed Twisted Pair option for my ethernet network. until that point,
it succeed.
But returning in linux nothing changed..
So I removed the card with netcfg..
I shutdown system..
after rebooting i add the card, using netcfg, IP 192.1.1.29, NM
255.255.255.0, activated the eth0.
at this point pinging 192.1.1.2 (my NT machine on LAN) or beeing pinged by
it did not work. (ping locally 192.1.1.29 works good, as 127.0.0.1)
In netcfg, routing, eth0 is the default routing device...
I ran route, and i had :
Dest        Gateway    Genmask            Ind.    Metric    Ref    Use Iface
192.1.1.29    *        255.255.255.255    UH    0    0    0    eth0
192.1.1.0      *        255.255.255.0         U      0    0    0    eth0
127.0.0.0      *        255.0.0.0                 U      0    0    0    lo

(Why is the netmask 255.255.255.255 for the card ? it isn't what was entered
or displayed by netcfg or linuxconf...
And it seems 192.1.1.29 is known as a host adress..)

So i typed "route add default gw 192.1.1.29 eth0" .. (why not ? <s>)
And still, no ping is going outside, or incoming my Linux computer..
I am logged as root al the time.. (This linux computer is only a test
machine..)
and when i am logged, it is under the machines name.. "LINUX".
In netcfg and linuxconf, the domain i wish to be part off is entered as
"CF".

Again, great thanx to anybody finding something.....
fred

------------------------------

From: OKS announce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New PGP keyserver to download
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:33:32 +0000

Highware releases OpenKeyServer 1.1, its fast public keys server for
storing PGP public keys.

July 15, 1999. Highware, Inc. announces the release of OpenKeyServer
1.1, its high performance server for massive storage of OpenPGP public
keys. As individuals and companies increasingly leverage the Internet
as a primary way to do business and to communicate with partners and
customers, OpenKeyServer (OKS) provides the central repository
required for exchanging public keys needed to communicate securely on
the Internet.

FREE FOR PUBLIC USE
OKS is FREE for non-commercial usages and for companies offering a free
public keys repository service.

HIGH PERFORMANCE AND AVAILABILITY SERVER
Based on a lightning fast database for rapidly retrieving and storing
public keys, OKS offers a high performance system for serving the
increasing demand to secure e-mails and files. To guarantee a
continuous and secure service, the OpenKeyServer includes a recovery
system completely restoring the database in case of system failure.
OpenKeyServer is provided with customizable modules placing OKS as a
backend of choice to offer any Intranet/Extranet PGP public key
repository service.
This extended flexibility provides OKS with the ability to be directly
queryable through client security software like PGP or SafeMail and to
run Web-based worldwide public keys servers such as the
http://www.keyserver.net server.

SCALABLE
The modular architecture of OpenKeyServer makes it the ideal solution
for serving keyrings of hundreds of public keys as well as keyrings of
hundreds of thousands ones. Composed of a single database server and a
suite of protocol specific gateways, this architecture permits OKS to
be load-balanced on several machines accross a network and to achieve
the maximum throughput required for providing a very high quality
service. This scalability feature is also extendable to the formats of
public keys supported: currently public keys complying with the
OpenPGP standard are supported, but new formats are planned.

LOW ADMINISTRATION COSTS
To reduce the administrative costs and time, an easy installation and
configuration procedure is included which permits to build an entire
system serving more than 500,000 keys in less than one hour. And in
the case where public keys servers have to be interconnected, OKS
includes the automatic SMTP synchronization mecanism used by common
PGP public keys servers in order to spread submitted public keys to
remote repositories sites.

TRY IT!
A fully functionnal evaluation distribution of the OpenKeyServer can be
FREELY downloaded at http://www.highware.com/openkeyserver. You can also
visit the OpenPGP public keys servers network at
http://www.keyserver.net to see the system in action.

PLATFORMS SUPPORTED
Sun SOLARIS 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, Linux Intel x86, FreeBSD Intel x86 and
Apple MacOSX.

More information can be found at: http://www.highware.com/openkeyserver

------------------------------

From: PVS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: fa.linux.serial,comp.dcom.modems
Subject: synchronous serial transfer thread: summing up so far (and more info)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:43:17 GMT

(And I thought I was about the only one looking for sync support with
async UARTs in Linux!)

I thought it would help to sum up the thread on the topic of sync
communications, async UARTs, and the mysterious AutoSync! Perhaps it can
go into a Sync Modem HOWTO.

I have left out q.s/a.s on comms speed. I think sync and async are both
fast enough. Speed doesn't seem to be the issue. Its connectivity to
sync systems thats bothering us (bothering me at least). Any
connectivity without entering the realm of USARTs is OK by me!

So far, the following conclusions can be drawn:

1. We are all stuck with UARTs which don't do sync comms
2. Even if your modem is sync (supports At&Qx) its no good since your
serial port is async. It *may* be that internal modems don't have that
problem, but we don't know of any examples yet.
3. The exception seems to be something called Autosync (At&Q4), which is
a luverly thing which Hayes made to do sync comms using async UARTs.
Hayes Optima modems support this, and so do some others (see below for
more on this).
4. Unless you get the Autosync specs (pass it on here!) and then do a
lot of coding you have no choice but to buy Autosync solutions or a
USART which is the UART's sync cousin.

Now for the FAQ/HOWTO.

1. Which AT commands relate to putting modems into sync mode?

Type AT&Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or Q4. Now, pray.

Dave Lawyer: ...or if the modem is in a synchrous mode (&Q1 to &Q4) then
no stop-start bits are sent modem-to-modem.  Most external modems don't
support synchronous modes 1 (&Q1), 2, and 3. Even if they did you
couldn't use them unless you have a sync. UART in your serial port and
have additional wires in the connecting cable for the clock (strobe)
signals.  But internal modems eliminate the connecting cable and can
easily use internal clock signals.  Thus they may support synchonous.

Stuart MacDonald: Sync vs async is all about the communications of two
UA/SRTs. Modems are designed to be a mostly transparent layer underneath
that, and aren't usually concerned with it. The time when a modem is
involved is when you need to talk to the modem, to get it to dial a
phone number for instance. If the modem can understand sync, it's
generally known as a sync modem. Usually modems only understand async.

2. How does a sync-ing clock get transmitted alongwith data on a 2-wire
phone line [we are not talking of clock embedded in data, thats still a
mystery]?
Dave Lawyer: For modem-to-modem communication, the word "sychronous" has
2 meanings. The synchonizing of the receiver with the transmiter is
likely done using the carrier freqeuency on V32 and V34.  Thus (in this
sense of the meaning of synchonous) it's sychronous and needs no stop or
start bits for synchronization.  Yet such bits are often sent anyway.

3. Is there a sync driver for Linux?
Stuart MacDonald: See /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/n_hdlc.c  This is the
generic sync driver. You can use sync with Linux, provided you have
appropriate hardware. Stripping the stop/start bits would remove the
extra overhead, but sync is still faster due to not having to oversample
the bits.

Paul Fulghum ([EMAIL PROTECTED]): There are several sync capable
adapters for Linux, each with different software interfaces. Our adapter
(SyncLink) provides a tty style interface with a couple of extra ioctl
calls to switch between sync/async. This allows use with pppd for
sync/async WAN networking and also allows custom sync applications which
write directly to the device. There was a discussion going on recently
in the linux-kernel list about making a 'standard' sync adapter software
interface.

Marigowda Divya ([EMAIL PROTECTED](remove ZZZ)): If you want to do
Synchronous Communications (SDLC or HDLC or even Bisync) through the PC
COMx port without using a Synchronous Adapter card, you need a Modem
that supports AUTOSYNC feature.  Most Hayes Modems support this feature;
there are other modems which licensed it from Hayes.  You need to get
hold of the AUTOSYNC specifications.

What do I do once I find n_hdlc.c?
[Dunno]

Where can I get hold of AutoSync/AutoSync 2 specs?
[Dunno, dying to know, I couldn't even find the Hayes Microcomputers web
site, some modem vendor lives at www.hayes.com]

For a FAQ which also (briefly) talks of AutoSync see
http://www.bisync.com/faq.htm

Other mentions are at http://www.3270.com/HAYES.HTM
http://www.serengeti.com/autolink.html and
http://www.rsacom.com/autosync.htm

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE AUTOSYNC SPECS.

Marigowda Divya: It is not a trivial matter to do SDLC using the
AUTOSYNC feature; you have to do quite a bit of coding.  You need to get
the AUTOSYNC specifications, which will provide the complete details on
how to do it. Originally, Hayes distributed it.

Which modems support sync? How can I find out if my modem supports sync?

It seems just a sync modem is not enough for sync comms. It is necessary
but not sufficient.

Hayes Optima seems to support AutoSync.
Samsung Vortec V34AE said OK to At&Q1 (sync connect modem with async
offline command mode).
My Psion V.34 + Ethernet PC Card said OK only to At&Q4 (Autosync again!)

See http://www.vix.com/pub/flexfax/Modems/Hayes/hayes.html for an
explanation of some AT commands.

Some excerpts from above:

"The [ATI4] I4 text is displayed in the following form:

     a097800C204C264
     bF60410000
     r1031111111010000
     r3000111010000000

The first string, the a-string, is composed of the ASCII character "a"
followed by a series of hexadecimal characters (D1-D16 in this example).
The bit map for each byte is defined below.

a D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 D10 D11 D12 D13 D14 D15 D16 D17 D18....

D4         Bit 3: Indicates that modem supports AutoSync (&Q4)

D6         Bit 3: Reserved
           Bit 2: Supports M4 command
           Bit 1: Supports 32-bit FCS (frame check sequence
           for AutoSync)
           Bit 0: Supports AutoSync II"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "ricK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Desperate, Need help with Diald
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:42:22 +1000

I have diald running ok but it wont disconnect the idle link, my ISP sends
short packets to my modem and keeps it up.
Can someone please give me some ideas on a way to only listen for packets
sent by me and not the other end.

Rick.