Linux-Networking Digest #54, Volume #12          Fri, 30 Jul 99 03:13:50 EDT

Contents:
  Re: NIS problem ("Robert Hurst")
  DNS (Brian Leung)
  Re: NIS Help Please ("Robert Hurst")
  SAMBA Porblem(UNIX passwd sync) (mail1)
  Still more Samba trouble ("Hiawatha Bray")
  Re: trouble with ftpd (Raphael Mankin)
  Re: IP Masquerade ("Jeff")
  Anyone using RH 6.0 and SWS 2.0? (Dwayne Croteau)
  Re: password problems with samba and windows 98 clients ("Scott Fleming")
  Re: DNS ("Dave Macolino")
  Re: password problems with samba and windows 98 clients ("Scott Fleming")
  Re: password problems with samba and windows 98 clients ("Scott Fleming")
  Re: ppp - ping OK but no telnet/ftp/netscape - answer. ("Jeff")
  Accessing NT shares from linux machines (root)
  Re: startup disk ("Jeff")
  ISC DHCPd 2.0 compile errors on slack4 ("Brady")
  Re: Small Apache Web-Server (Lee Sau Dan ~{@nJX6X~})
  Re: setting up X server to be a "client".. (Mark Bestel)
  Re: ppp - ping OK but no telnet/ftp/netscape - answer. (Mark Bestel)
  Re: DNS (Mark Bestel)
  Re: binding two NICs (Mark Bestel)
  Re: ppp problem - ISP does not respond to configure requests (Stephen Blair)
  Re: setting up X server to be a "client".. (Stephen Blair)
  Re: NIS domain not bound (Mark Bestel)
  Re: netscape (James Stafford)
  Re: RH6 networking sucks ... DHCP?!? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Robert Hurst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS problem
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:46:40 GMT

Don't you still need ypbind running on the NIS server, too, for yppasswd to
work in place of passwd?  I don't like yppasswd becuase it is very
restrictive in password selection.  Is there any configuration to make it
more "relaxed"?
Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Brian Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DNS
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:07:38 +0800

==============55A6C66B40CAD1AD1D7C21D6

Hi,
I have a NT DNS server and a linux server. If I want my linux server to
use the DNS service of NT, should I add the entry of NT nameserver in
the file resolv.conf  in linux?
Thanks

==============55A6C66B40CAD1AD1D7C21D6

Hi,
to use the DNS service of NT, should I add the entry of NT nameserver in
the file<i> resolv.conf&nbsp;</i> in linux?

From: "Robert Hurst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS Help Please
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:39:53 GMT

Have you set domainname?

domainname <name_of_NIS_domain>

Just type domainname and see if it returns its string.  If it is not set,
ypbind will not work.

You can have it set automagically upon reboot from the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
script by adding a line in the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

NISDOMAIN="name_of_NIS_domain"

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: mail1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAMBA Porblem(UNIX passwd sync)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:51:53 +0900

Hello.
I have problem "synchronous UNIX passwd and smbpasswd"
I haved to setting. (SWAT base)
in Security Options of Global Variables TAB.
smb passwd file: /etc/smbpasswd             (- right setting)
passwd program: /usr/bin/passwd %u       (- right setting)
unix password sync: Yes

What is setting one more?
If you have solution, Let me know the solution. Please.

------------------------------

From: "Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Still more Samba trouble
Date: 29 Jul 1999 20:43:28 PDT

Never mind about my previous message--I found mksmbpasswd.  It just wasn't
in the directory where the instruction said it would be.

Now I think I've set up the smb.conf file correctly.  I can ping between the
Linux and Windows machines.  But when I click on Network Neighborhood, it
still can't see the Linux box.  Suggestions, please?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Raphael Mankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: trouble with ftpd
Date: 27 Jul 1999 07:43:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have one of those inexplicable problems.

: I have a server (at 193.82.129.78 - until the Internic finally propagate
: my domain updates) - which *should* permit anonymous FTP.

: Now, if I use plain-old-ftp, all is fine:

[snip]
: Anyone seen this?  Any clues?

One is a ftp from youself to yourself, the otehr is a ftp from
outside. It looks as if you ahve not set up hosts.allow
to permit ouside connections.

RTFM hosts_access(5). the answer is nearly always RTFM ;-)
               Politics: The conduct of public affairs for private advantage
                        Ambrose Bierce
Raphael Mankin
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
==================================

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerade
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:45:05 -0400

mango wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>can IP Masq be installed during the initial install of Linux

The kernal is already set to run ip masq during the install.
all you have to configure is the network scripts to bring up the eth0...1...
... n
interfaces
and setup your routing

use ipfwadm out of the box, or off the cd, so you can read the ipmasq howto
and the ipfwadm man pages to setup the routing table.

a good resource is:

http://eunuchs.org/linux/samba/index.html
this is the samba setup but there is a link on that page to setting up ip
masqing

------------------------------

From: Dwayne Croteau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone using RH 6.0 and SWS 2.0?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:30:53 GMT

Hi,

I just want to know if someone out there is using RH 6.0 and Redhat's
Secure Web Server 2.0 together sucessfully.  I have had nothing but
headaches with it, and not a lot of help from RH.  I just need some
feedback on how pleased you are with it, and how you installed it
(whether you installed RH 5.2 first, then upgraded to 6.0 after
installing the Secure Web Server 2.0, which is what I am considering
next).

Thanks

Dwayne Croteau

------------------------------

From: "Scott Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: password problems with samba and windows 98 clients
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:54:06 GMT

That was already done, made no difference. Still got the password error...

news:cDTn3.903$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Dave Macolino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:23:22 -0400

Yup.

davemac

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Scott Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:51:09 GMT

After reading the ENCRYPTION.txt - as suggested, I noticed something
peculiar:

To generate the smbpasswd file from your /etc/passwd file use the
following command :-

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

I performed this task and found that I do not have a folder
/samba/private/smbpasswd within my /usr/local directory. Samba is installed,
but this directory does not exist, and I recieve and error when I attempt to
perform this action.

Running 5.2RH... Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: "Scott Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:53:27 GMT

I read the ENCRYPTION.txt file, and was following it's instructions, and
noticed there is no /etc/local/samba/private/smbpasswd directory, or file on
my 5.2RH machine..

Any suggestions? Samba is working fine for connecting to the windows
machine, and it's listed in the network neighborhood, I just cannot connect,
as the password is incorrect...

news:frSn3.2132$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp - ping OK but no telnet/ftp/netscape - answer.
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:35:33 -0400

Are you trying to telnet as root or a user
if as a user make sure that the /etc/resolv.conf file has the ip addresses
of your ISP's nameservers also make sure that you have the permission set
properly
bash$ chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Accessing NT shares from linux machines
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:42:46 -0400

How can I access shares that an NT workstation is sharing out because
when I type 'smbclient -L pacia'
it says that there are no shares, when in fact there are shares.  Is
there any special smb.conf line I have to add?

Thanks for the help:

--Peter

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: startup disk
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:12:51 -0400

In DOS you will want to use the rawrite utility you can find on the cd with
your distrubution package on it. Generally I don;t even install rawrite I
just

c:\> d:\rawrite d:\disk.image a:\

or something like that

try
c:\ d:\rawrite(or whereever your cd drive is and where-ever  the rawrite
utility is on the disk)
that will give you the lo down on how to use rawrite

------------------------------

From: "Brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISC DHCPd 2.0 compile errors on slack4
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 05:16:21 GMT

I'm getting a compile error on tr.c and it's looking for if_tr.c in the
netinet directory. this file doesn't exist. I'm not sure what is causing
this error. I tried cutting out tr.c/tr.o out of the makefile since I don't
use token ring, but that didn't fix it.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Brady

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Sau Dan ~{@nJX6X~})
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Small Apache Web-Server
Date: 30 Jul 1999 13:31:05 +0800

    Bo> But whjat if I want to place the scripts into another
    Bo> directory like /userdomain/cgi-bin/??

"ScriptAlias".   Look  it  up  from  the  Apache  manual.   If  you've
installed  Apache  completely,  it  should be  accessible  with  "lynx
http://localhost/manual/".

    Bo> I have not been able to
    Bo> get anything working out of there and that is where it should
    Bo> be to mirror my "real" site. (I use the Linux box to test web
    Bo> sites prior to uploading them.)

You  may  then be  also  interested  in  "virtual hosting".   Look  up
"<VirtualHost>" in the Apache manual.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     $(0,X)wAV(B(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: Mark Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: setting up X server to be a "client"..
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:57:10 +1000

It sounds like you don't have the networks configured correctly. Are you sure
that both machines have correct IP addresses and routes?

If so, you now have to tell the machine you are on that it can display X
sessions from other machines by typing "xhost +". This is not very secure as
it will allow anyone to start an X session on your display.

The more secure way is to type "xhost + HOSTNAME" where HOSTNAME is the
hostname of the remote machine (or IP address).

xhost can only be run by the user who owns the X server - whoever you logged
in as.

Mark

------------------------------

From: Mark Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:01:38 +1000

Do you have an ethernet card and modem? You might want to make sure that there
aren't two default routes that are conflicting.

Type /sbin/route as root from a terminal and see if there are two default
entries. If there are, one will be for ppp0 and one will be for eth0.

Type "/sbin/route dev default dev eth0"

This will remove the default route through your ethernet card and may help with
your problem.

Mark

------------------------------

From: Mark Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:03:49 +1000

==============61CEB5D9BBE2A428A327005C

Yes. Your /etc/resolv.conf may look something like this:

domain foobar.com
search foobar.com
nameserver 203.2.193.124 (your DNS IP address)

From: Mark Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: binding two NICs
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:08:23 +1000

In theory (I've never done it), you could install two NICs, plug them into the
same hub. They would both have different IP addresses. These two addresses
point to the same host in the DNS. When bind has multiple addresses for one
host it passes them out in a round robin fashion.

This, I imagine would serve to do some load balancing between the two NICs. I
don't really know how well this works in practice.

If this was a private exchange, just tell me to p**s off and keep my opinions
to myself.

Mark

------------------------------

From: Stephen Blair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp problem - ISP does not respond to configure requests
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:07:52 -0400

"Amir J. Katz" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem with my Linux system at home - it's a P-II 350, 64MB
> RAM with an external 28.8 modem, dual boot - Win98/Redhat Linux 6.0.
> When I am in Win98, I have no problem dialing up to my ISP and get
> connected.
> However, when in Linux, I use 'kppp' to dial in and it fails. It gets
> successfully past the 'connect' and 'user/password' authentication (both
> when I specified 'script-based' and 'PAP'), but when pppd starts, it
> times out, complaining that the configuration requests that it sends to
> the ISP side are not answered. I can see on the modem lights that it
> talks with the other side.
> I tried different servers at my ISP and the behavior is the same, so I
> assume that the problem is either on my side, or that all the ISP's
> server are configured wrong from Linux ppp's point of view.
> However, kppp does not provide any parameters that will affect the
> behavior of pppd in that aspect.
> Question is: How can I debug the ppp session so that I have some details
> when calling my ISP?
>
> Thanks.

First ,  are you using the KDE that came on the RH6.0 dist? If so, go to
kde.org and download the latest kppp (RH used pre 1.1 and kppp does not
work well). I had a very similar problem and that fixed mine up.
Second, if you want ot turn up debugging you can either add the debug
option to pppd or in syslog.conf add something like daemon.debug
/var/log/daemonlog. A quick look at the man pages for pppd and syslog.conf
should help on that.

hope it helps.

--
Remove the x in my address to reply

------------------------------

From: Stephen Blair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:17:35 -0400

David Pollack wrote:

> I was wondering hwo to run X as a client so that I could telnet onto one
> linux. Then when I run an X program it would run the on linux box that I
> am on (with X running of course). I am running redhat 6.0 and XFree
> 3.3.3.1 (stock RH6). I always get a "no route to IP" or something like
> that. The error looks like _X11transINETConnet_.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Things that I have tried
>
> export DISPLAY=my.computer.ext:0.0
> same as above with IP address.

Have you added your client to the access control list for the "host"? In
other words from "my.computer.ext" have you typed "xhost +your.client" this
will enable the client to display something like xeyes on your Xserver. Try
"man xhost", it should clear things up a little.

hope it helps.

From: Mark Bestel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS domain not bound
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:13:22 +1000

Actually, in your /etc/rc.d/rc#.d directory (where # is probably 3 if you are
running a character based session and probably 5 if you are running X),  there
may be a file called S15ypbind. The standard way of disabling is to rename it
to K15ypbind.

Before you rename it, type ./S15ypbind stop

Mark

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:11:55 -0700

> Or just go to http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10818276 - which crashes my netscape every
> time until i switched off the java (not javascript) part of netscape. After that I
> dont get the sudden closure of netscape. Any idea of how to fix this ?
>
> It is the same problem since Net. Communicator Rel. 4.51 - Im currently up to date
> with the 4.61
>
> Best regards
> Jesper K. Pedersen
>
> PS. Perhaps Internet Explorer isnt such a bad alternative anyways... Naw... Ill
> stick around on Linux a littelbit eventhough it starts to bear the mark of
> Microsoft deseases...

Just went there and everything came up and worked. Seemed to be very
memory intensive (was real slow) though. Which brings a question, how
much RAM do you have and how much swap? Also another thing I have
noticed that can make NS crash sometimes is not having enough space on
the partition that NS is installed on. Which libc5 do you have? I used
to have a lot of problems with NS crashing a lot but since I've gotten
4.61 I can't remember it crashing ever.

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH6 networking sucks ... DHCP?!?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 05:33:37 GMT

I'm having a lot of trouble with 'pump' myself, but I'm somewhat of a
newbie, and I don't really know how to "hack" it so it uses dhcpcd.  I
do have a version of dhcpcd that came with Red Hat 6.0, and I have
another version that comes from an older Red Hat distrib.  Any info
would be appreciated. =]

In article <7lt6tm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rudolf Potucek) wrote:
> That's what I thought ... and did. Pity that I had to hack the
networking
> code though ... not hard, but it means NEXT time I'll have to do it
AGAIN!!

> Rudolf
>
>  Steve ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : RedHat is probably thinking too much with their other head hence
the word
> : PUMP.  What a silly name for DHCP server.  What a ridiculous
introduction of
> : a broken product into a mainstream product.
>
> : Just go back to the older DHCP server.  Don't bother getting the
RPM upgrade

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/