Linux-Networking Digest #486, Volume #12          Mon, 6 Sep 99 12:14:12 EDT

Contents:
  ppp: i can't get back connection ("Prygiel P.M.")
  Can't use SWAT - server seems to be busy?! (Mark Burger)
  What is the right solution for a small company (jim)
  Telnet + Shell Accounts (Coool Dude)
  Re: PPP woes continue - Solved now ("Amir J. Katz")
  Linux-ISDN-Router (Robert Gehringer)
  Can someone help me with this PLEASE! (Arion Blishen)
  ip_masq ("Per-Johan Wiberg")
  Re: connecting to 'net via linux (Derek Clifford)
  Re: Inetd error with Qpopper (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
  Help with modem access network ("Pomarknitali")
  Help needed with telnet welcome login ("ricK")
  Automatic ifconfig and route at startup ("Hades")
  Re: Inetd error with Qpopper ("Michael East")
  Re: Help with Win95 and Samba ("Hades")
  Re: Automatic ifconfig and route at startup (Thomas Kaemer)
  ne2k-pci / 2.2.xx slow telnet performance. (Lee Still)
  Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs) (Henry Vermeulen)
  HELP EAST TIMOR ("Armando Duarte")
  Re: Telnet + Shell Accounts (Tony Green)
  help : IP tunnel through CIPE (indi)
  Re: ne2k-pci / 2.2.xx slow telnet performance. (Bob Tennent)
  Re: newbie: no Ne2000 PCI driver under Linux? (bernward halfkann)
  Linux & Cisco Lab (".")
  How to change email passwd? (starshum#[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: strange login behavior ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Connect to ISP, then nothing happens??? (Clifford Kite)

From: "Prygiel P.M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp: i can't get back connection
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:23:16 +0200

Hello,

Here is my pb with a ppp connection
My PC is on a TCP/IP network and i want (with mandrake 6.0)
have a PPP connection with my provider.
Once the connection established, i can ping my provider but
i can't ping other adress.
When i ping i get the Ip adress (so DNS is OK) but no the response.
When i try netstat -n, i see the response are counted by ppp interface
but i can't
get them .

Any idea ? perhaps a route problem ?

Here is what i get with ifconfig and netstat -n :

172.20.51.217 is my ip adress on the network

Table de routage IP du noyau
Destination                   Passerelle          Genmask
Indic     Metric     Ref        Use     Iface
194.206.126.251         0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255     UH
0              0            0      ppp0
172.20.51.217             0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255     UH
0              0            0      eth0
172.20.0.0                     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0
U         0              0            0     eth0
127.0.0.0                       0.0.0.0
255.0.0.0                   U         0            0            0
lo
0.0.0.0                     194.206.126.251 0.0.0.0
UG        0              0            0     ppp0

eth0      Lien encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:77:F5:BE
          inet adr:172.20.51.217  Bcast:172.20.255.255
Masque:255.255.0.0
          Paquets Reçus:571 erreurs:0 jetés:0 débordements:0 trames:0
          Paquets transmis:35 erreurs:0 jetés:0 débordements:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 lg file transmission:100
          Interruption:11 Adresse de base:0xe800

lo        Lien encap:Boucle locale
          inet adr:127.0.0.1  Masque:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          Paquets Reçus:69 erreurs:0 jetés:0 débordements:0 trames:0
          Paquets transmis:69 erreurs:0 jetés:0 débordements:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 lg file transmission:0

ppp0      Lien encap:Protocole Point-à-Point
          inet adr:195.146.228.42  P-t-P:194.206.126.251
Masque:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          Paquets Reçus:28 erreurs:1 jetés:0 débordements:0 trames:1
          Paquets transmis:30 erreurs:0 jetés:0 débordements:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 lg file transmission:10

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Burger)
Subject: Can't use SWAT - server seems to be busy?!
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:11:27 +0200

=> Red Hat 6.0 (2.25-15)

Upon my first installation of Linux I also installed Samba and with it
Swat automatically. Due to the Swat docs the config files seem to be
correct:

/etc/services
swat 901/tcp

/etc/inetd.conf
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin swat

My http daemon seems to run properly too (at least it says that on boot
and I haven't yet configured anything on it!). However, when I "start"
Swat with Netscape by typing http://127.0.0.1:901/ I get the following
message:

"the server may not be accepting connections or may be busy."

I've no idea why my server might be busy. What config files do I have to
check to see what's going on? BTW, Netscape is set to "direct connection
to the internet" and I'm going into the net by using a router...

TIA.

------------------------------

From: jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is the right solution for a small company
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:21:49 +0100

Hi all,

I am looking at the pro&cons of using a linux gateway for internet
services on a
small company PC network.

There are a profusion of "off the shelf" boxes to provide a network
connection to an ISP. Some may indeed be based on linux pcs.

questions:

1) Am i better off buying a cheap off the shelf box ?

2) Can linux support ISDN ? what cards /drivers are available ?

3) Can linux support FAX ? Is there an email to fax server available ?

4) Does linux provide better firewall facilities ?

5) Is there a windows based client/ html server to facilitiate linux
network config. (not the html config utility) ?

6) Can i convince my boss that linux is the best solution ? in terms of
security, simplicity and cost ?

cheers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Coool Dude)
Subject: Telnet + Shell Accounts
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 13:42:16 GMT

            Hi.. I am currently working part time at an ISP and they
have decided to
offer shell accounts to the customers. so they have asked us (me and a
group)  to try to set up a RedHat 6.0  Linux Box to provide this
service.
The linux box will only be used for the Shell accounts..  the users
will log
on through the ISP's access servers... so we dont have to worry about
that.
It is pretty easy to set up the Linux box and add users on the LAN and
we
have done it..  but how do we do it for the rest of the world !! :)  A
nightmare...  any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanx.... a million.
Giro

------------------------------

From: "Amir J. Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP woes continue - Solved now
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:37:31 +0200

As I mentioned before, I got past the LCP stage, and the PAP stage, but
the other side was not responding to the IPCP conf. requests.
I connected to another ISP, using a friends's account and encountered
the exact same problems as with my ISP, so I concluded that it's my
PPP's setup fault. I looked at /var/log/pppdlog (the syslog file I
created for PPP messages) and saw the errors about missing kernel
compression modules (ppp-compress-21, or wahtever), which someone has
referred to a few days ago in another thread. So, I RTFMed the 'pppd'
man page and decided to disable the VJ compressions. Now my
/etc/ppp/options looks similar to this (I'm writing this from memory,
since my Linux system is at home):

asyncmap a0000        # or whatever it is
user honey-i-am-home  # my ISP uses PAP
noipdefault
novj
novjccomp

Now everything works fine.

------------------------------

From: Robert Gehringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux-ISDN-Router
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:55:50 +0200

Hi

I have installed Suse Linux 6.2. With kernel 2.2.10.
for fileserver and Internet(ISDN)-routing (Win95, win98, winNT).

Routing for www, IRC, ftp ... is perfect.
But when i want a telnet-session on the router - the router logs into
the NET.

He should not connecting - what can i do?

------------------------------

From: Arion Blishen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can someone help me with this PLEASE!
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:03:57 +1000

In the Linux Kernel.
What are off_t (I think it is in gcc), jiffies, and HZ ?

Any help given is much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Per-Johan Wiberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ip_masq
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:24:40 +0200

Hi.
I have tried connect a NT-machine to a Linux-machine, using the
linux-machine as a firewall to the Internet. I read the ip-masq HOWTO and
followed the instructions but with no luck. The linux-machine is runing Red
Hat 6.0 and got to networkcards. I have ip-forwarding enabled and I use the
192-series for my "local" network, but I am unable to ping both machines.
They are connected with a twisted TP-cable and hte networkcards indicate
that there is a connection. I don't know what I may have don wrong. If You
do, please help me or at least give me some advices for de_bugging. Thanks
/PJ

------------------------------

From: Derek Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: connecting to 'net via linux
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:07:38 +0200

I've just done this, and I suggest the following:

1. Make sure your kernel is up to date enough to have ppp, firewalling and IP
masquerading.

2. Dont bother with diald - get the latest pppd which will do dial on demand
itself

3. Crib the IP-masquerading and ipchains (firewall) commands from the howtos.

Derek

--
   Derek CLIFFORD (DAI)        |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eurocontrol Experimental Centre|   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: Inetd error with Qpopper
Date: 6 Sep 1999 13:44:00 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron Daniels  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been running this mail server for about 3 weeks now but just last
>week the pop server had been stopping randomly making it so people are
>unable to check their mail.
>since then I have been able to track down the error, the syslog reported
>this error:
>
>Sep  7 02:44:29 mail inetd[116]: pop-3/tcp server failing (looping),
>service terminated
>
>What would cause this error and how would I fix it.

If inetd gets more than 40 connections/minute for a certain service,
it thinks something is wrong and shuts down the service for 5 minutes.

You can increase this number by appending a number to the "nowait" line
in /etc/inetd.conf specifying the new maximum rate, say 120.

Read the manual page of inetd.conf for details

Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
        -- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"

------------------------------

From: "Pomarknitali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with modem access network
Date: 3 Sep 1999 23:25:10 GMT

I need help... like in subject. I'm trying to create some sort of ethernet
network via modem (5-10 users). Well, not real ethernet, of course, but
something like that. Something like internet providing, only without link
to WWW.
Can someone give me some general help about it? Like, what does it take to
have that kind of network and stuff?

Krastaman

... I ate a baby...

------------------------------

From: "ricK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help needed with telnet welcome login
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:08:07 +1000

Hi there all,

I have a small network with one linux server and several windoze9* machines
and wish to use telnet to administer the linux box from windowz. My distro
is Redhat 5.2.
The problem is that when I telnet there is no login prompt on my screen, so
I cannot do anything. It connects ok though.
Even when I use telnet on the linux box and connect to itself there is no
login. Is there some way to enable this login when I telnet to my server.
Thanks Gratefully in advance.  Rick.
I can be emailed at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Hades" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Automatic ifconfig and route at startup
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:16:46 +0200

Hello!

I use SuSE Linux 6.1 with samba 2.03. I would like to automatic run the
commands ifconfig and route at startup.
How do i do this?

Greatings,

Tim Wermer

------------------------------

From: "Michael East" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.mail.misc
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:04:51 +0100

We also were having problems with Qpopper shutting down by itself, that is
until we read your posting today :-).

Changing the inetd config file fixed the problem.

Thanks for Posting this info on to the newsgroup :-) and giving us the info
we needed to fix our mail server.

Also do you have any tips or tricks to keep a mail server with over 60.000
users and 1.200 domains.

Thanks Again :-)

Regards,
Michael East
Advanced Technical Engineering Manager
JAK Internet

news:7r09e0$6pj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Hades" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with Win95 and Samba
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:27:56 +0200

Did you assign an IP and did you route?

Let's say you are going to assign the adress 192.168.0.1 to your machine.
You would be typing the following:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Basically, if your network has machines that are assigned IP adresses that
are 192.168.0.*, you represent the whole network with 192.168.0.0.
If your networkmachines have IP adresses of 192.168.1.* then your whole
network would be represented by 192.168.1.0 and you would type:

route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0 this should connect
your LINUX machine to your network.

Greetings,

Tim Wermer a LINUX/SAMBA hobbyist!!

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kaemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Automatic ifconfig and route at startup
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:58:35 +0200

Hades schrieb:

> Hello!
>
> I use SuSE Linux 6.1 with samba 2.03. I would like to automatic run the
> commands ifconfig and route at startup.
> How do i do this?

Use yast -system administration -hardwareintegration -netcard.
Chose your card and settings.
next yast -system administration -networkconfiguration.
Configure your network-settings.
try
#init 1
#init 2
after this your network should run automatically.

CU Thomas

------------------------------

From: Lee Still <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ne2k-pci / 2.2.xx slow telnet performance.
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:04:46 -0400

I have used a Realtek 8029 (ne2000 pci clone)  with Linux 2.0.xx and
other OS's  for a long time with good results.  With Linux 2.2.xx though
things get a bit strange:  Ftp seems to work fine but when I use telnet
there is a problem.

Note: I am using DEC Tulip and Intel EEPro cards with no problems.

Keystrokes  are slow to echo until they stop echoing at all.  If I bring
up another window and ping the host I am connected to the keys start
echoing again but at the rate of ping (if I stop ping the echoing
stops).  It seems like ping (or the resultant activity it creates)
flushes some buffer.  I tried to use tcpdump to see what was happening
but it masks the problem.

There seems to be no interrupt sharing or IRQ conflicts,  the I/O seems
to have it's own space, and when using Linux 2.0.36 everything works
fine.  I'm stumped.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to troubleshoot this problem?

Lee.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry Vermeulen)
Subject: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs)
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:06:29 GMT

Hi all
By now i think i have got al problem i can't solve.
Cannot login as user with wu-ftp 2.5.0(4)
Works fine with anonymous.
Reinstalled it but it does't make any difference.
ran ckconfig , no errors reported.
checked the /etc/shells file.
The readme reported that shadow passwords are supported by default,
but i don't know how to make sure.
in /var/log/messages the only information is that
the login failed
Sometimes a line shows up in the messages file saying:
telnetd[pid] ttloop: peer died :Invalid or incomplete multibyte or
wide character.
I don't know what that means.
In /etc/inetd.conf i removed the -a option but still no luck.
There is a -l option either. What does that mean?

I really hope someone can help me out of my misery.

regards
Henry

------------------------------

From: "Armando Duarte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP EAST TIMOR
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:53:17 +0100

=======_NextPart_000_0095_01BEF86F.2BB51AA0

Please send this message to the following addresses. Sorry, this =
news-group is not for this, but the cause is very important. Thank you.
=20
PETITION=20

Widespread death and destruction are happening  in East Timor.=20
Unless world leaders exert  maximum pressure on the Indonesian =
Government the  results of last Monday's referendum   will be followed =
by a growing massacre and destruction of thousands of citizens who =
braved everything to vote,  expressing  overwhelmingly their wish to =
become independent.=20
Regrettably, the Indonesian Government is not fullfiling the New York =
agreements and has allowed the violence to spread.=20

An   international force is essential to prevent the  total  slaughter  =
of the people by the    anti-independence militias.=20

Therefore,=20

I call upon you to  URGENTLY exert all of the available means at your =
disposal to make the killings stop and prevent the deportation and =
massacre of the people of East Timor.=20

      Presidente Bill Clinton=20

  Presidente B. J. Habibie:=20

    Secret=E1rio-Geral da ONU Kofi Annan
=20

--=20
Armando Duarte
Centro Hospitalar de Coimbra (http://www.chc.min-saude.pt)
Departamento de Informa=E7=E3o para a Gest=E3o
Telef. 351 39 800080
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=======_NextPart_000_0095_01BEF86F.2BB51AA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please send this message to the =
following=20
addresses. Sorry, this news-group is not for this, but the cause is very =

important. Thank you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial =
size=3D-1>PETITION</FONT> </P>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial size=3D-1>Widespread death and =
destruction are=20
happening&nbsp; in East Timor. </FONT><BR><FONT color=3D#800000 =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D-1>Unless world leaders exert&nbsp; maximum pressure on the =
Indonesian=20
Government the&nbsp; results of last Monday's referendum &nbsp; will be =
followed=20
by a growing massacre and destruction of thousands of citizens who =
braved=20
everything to vote,&nbsp; expressing&nbsp; overwhelmingly their wish to =
become=20
independent. </FONT><BR><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial =
size=3D-1>Regrettably, the=20
Indonesian Government is not fullfiling the New York agreements and has =
allowed=20
the violence to spread.</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT color=3D#800000 =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D-1>An&nbsp;&nbsp; international force is essential to prevent =
the&nbsp;=20
total&nbsp; slaughter&nbsp; of the people by the &nbsp;&nbsp; =
anti-independence=20
militias.</FONT> </P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial =
size=3D-1>Therefore,=20
</FONT><BR><BR><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial size=3D-1>I call upon =
you to&nbsp;=20
URGENTLY exert all of the available means at your disposal to make the =
killings=20
stop and prevent the deportation and massacre of the people of East=20
Timor.</FONT> </P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial=20
size=3D-1>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Presidente Bill =
Clinton</A></FONT> </P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial size=3D-1>&nbsp; <A =

href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Presidente B. J. =
Habibie:</A></FONT> </P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#800000 face=3DArial =
size=3D-1>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Secret=E1rio-Geral da ONU Kofi=20
Annan</A><BR></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><BR>--=20
<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR>Armando =
Duarte<BR>Centro=20
Hospitalar de Coimbra (<A=20
href=3D"http://www.chc.min-saude.pt">http://www.chc.min-saude.pt</A>)<BR>=
Departamento=20
de Informa=E7=E3o para a Gest=E3o<BR>Telef. 351 39 800080<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></FO=
NT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet + Shell Accounts
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 15:00:38 +0100

I might have a fuzzy brain - it is Monday after all.........

What are you actually asking?  What is it that you need help with as I
can't tell from what you wrote.

Sorry if I have just misread it.

TG

------------------------------

From: indi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help : IP tunnel through CIPE
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:45:49 +0200

i want to connect two subnets through a ip tunnel using CIPE but it
doesn't seem to work.
i inserted the module on both sides and started ciped.
both deamons stay up but i can't ping the other machine.
i read the manuals and configured everything corretly and still it
doesn't work.
i also tried inserting special routes to the other network and machine,
nothing works.

can anybody help me with this ?

phon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: ne2k-pci / 2.2.xx slow telnet performance.
Date: 6 Sep 1999 14:08:48 GMT

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:04:46 -0400, Lee Still wrote:
 >I have used a Realtek 8029 (ne2000 pci clone)  with Linux 2.0.xx and
 >other OS's  for a long time with good results.  With Linux 2.2.xx though
 >things get a bit strange:  Ftp seems to work fine but when I use telnet
 >there is a problem.
 >
 >Keystrokes  are slow to echo until they stop echoing at all.  If I bring
 >up another window and ping the host I am connected to the keys start
 >echoing again but at the rate of ping (if I stop ping the echoing
 >stops).  It seems like ping (or the resultant activity it creates)
 >flushes some buffer.  I tried to use tcpdump to see what was happening
 >but it masks the problem.
 >
 >There seems to be no interrupt sharing or IRQ conflicts,  the I/O seems
 >to have it's own space, and when using Linux 2.0.36 everything works
 >fine.  I'm stumped.

I've been having similar problems.  I believe it's a kernel issue.
Which version have you been using?  I reverted to 2.2.5 and the
problem seems to have gone away.  I could temporarily
fix the problem by taking down the interface and then restarting it.
The ping time goes right down again.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: bernward halfkann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie: no Ne2000 PCI driver under Linux?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:17:16 +0200

Mark Burger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi! I'm a newbie who just started getting into Linux with Red Hat 6.0
> (2.25-15) and naturally ran into *some* problems.
..
> Could please someone tell me the exact name of this module and/or how to
> activate the card manually (editing conf files). As well, how do I switch
> between 10/100 mbit??

the name of the module (copy from the kernel message at startup):

..
ne2k-pci.c:v0.99L 2/7/98 D.Becker/P. Gortmaker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/
linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html
ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-8029' at I/O 0xe800, IRQ 10
..

infos for configuration:

usr/src/linux/kernel/drivers/net
usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt
(DE-)Kernel-HOWTO.html
(DE-)NET3-HOWTO.html
Olaf Kirch: The Network Administrator's Guide, Configuring the
Networking Hardware

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux & Cisco Lab
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:09:13 -0400

Need your help.
    I'm currently using microsoft's hyperterminal to access my routers via
com1/2 to the console port  on the routers. When I travel with my labs( I
have Linux running on a laptop), I need something with the equivalence to
configure the routers via the console port. The ethernet and token ring
slots are easy. I've tried "Open" and have skimmed thru the man page but I
still haven't figured this one out and I'm pressed for time. Any
ideas....anybody??

------------------------------

From: starshum#[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to change email passwd?
Date: 6 Sep 1999 14:16:00 GMT

How do I let each POP account user to change their password? I
have Mandrake 6.0 Linux and is running IMAP and Sendmail. I've
changed the account policy for each POP account and yet from
Eudora, no one was able to change password. Did I miss any thing?

--

Stephen Shum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: strange login behavior
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:55:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  BLANCHER Cedric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> BLANCHER Cedric wrote:
>
> > login definitions are not handled by hosts.allow or hosts.deny which
are
> > tcpd files. You should have a look to /etc/login.defs :) For FTP,
> > /etc/ftpusers specify which users are not allowed to FTP the box.
> > It is a very bad idea to remotly log as root with telnet or FTP.
Prefer
> > ssh or su when you're in your shell.

I know, that's why I want to avoid it...

> Also have a look to /etc/securetty that specifies which tty are secure
> enough for root login (usually console and nothing else).

I changed my /etc/securetty. It looks now as follows:

tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6

and this really avoids a remote login. But it's still impossible to
login as root on the console... Is there any file that prevents root to
login on the console? Can I modify it to avoid a login of any user?
Sinon I feel echt emerdé... - Anyway, thanks for your help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Connect to ISP, then nothing happens???
Date: 6 Sep 1999 09:08:43 -0500

Don Chorman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have updated the /etc/resolv.conf  so that it looks exactly as follows:

: search kvi.net
: nameserver 205.132.53.33
: nameserver 205.132.48.6

The first address seems to be bad - no domain.  The second nameserver
is dns.cns.net.  These are nameservers for kvi.net:

kvi.net NS NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET
kvi.net NS NS1.TRITON.NET
kvi.net NS NS1.kvi.net

using "host -t ns kvi.net" (capitals don't count here).

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */