Linux-Networking Digest #499, Volume #12          Tue, 7 Sep 99 17:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Samba printing problems from Win98 (Yury Donskoy)
  suse 6.2 dns long-name problem resolved (doug nelson)
  Re: dhcp and multiple interfaces (Anders Peterson)
  Re: KPPP Causes X display to Lock (Robert Kellogg)
  Re: Which HOWTO (Tom Eastep)
  Re: tcp/udp port descriptions? (Barry Margolin)
  Problems negotiating cbcp with NT box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  bsd4.3 vs. 4.4 ("CEO")
  Re: ERROR 205 -- DNS name lookup failure. (Matt Gullam)
  Re: DNS nightmare Help... ("Philippe Wetterwald")
  slackware 3.6 plus D-link dfe530tx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Browsers and Linux (Andre van Dijk)
  IRQ In Use with RealPort REM56G-100BTX - Help Requested ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  test (tommy)
  Re: PPP - Hung Modem (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Alias user in Linux or Samba? (Richard P. Scott)
  Re: PPP - Hung Modem (Clifford Kite)
  Basic ethernet setup (Bob Gamble)
  Re: IP packet generator for Linux? ("John Hardin")
  Dialling (ISDN) into Linux (John Simpson)
  local root&NIS ("Ömer Uyar")
  Re: KPPP Causes X display to Lock (Jon Sundquist)
  Re: color telnet client (TurkBear)

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:20:04 -0400
From: Yury Donskoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba printing problems from Win98

Hi there,

I have a problem printing on a Linux printer from Win98 through Samba.
Win98 can see the printer, as well as all of my other defined shares on
Linux, but it won't print to it.  In /var/log/messages, I get the
following message:
Sep  5 10:48:59 sys100 PAM_pwdb[10986]: 1 authentication failure;
(uid=0) -> yur
y for samba service
Now, like I said, this same user can see all the defined shares, as well
as the printer, but it just can't print to it.  I can write to all of my
other writable shares.  Here's a snipped from my smb.conf file:
[lp-canon-4100]
  comment = Canon-4100
  valid users = yury
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  writable = no
  printable = yes
  printer name = lp-canon-4100
I should add that the printer works fine when used locally through
Linux.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Yury
--
=============
"Join the Imperial Fleet and see the universe.

------------------------------

From: doug nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse 6.2 dns long-name problem resolved
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:31:29 GMT

For informational purposes,

I just installed suse 6.2 linux and got netscape up and running.
However, occasionally  some links would return a "Netscape can't find
the host name" (or very similar).

The problem was when I tried to go to long names, like
"www.cs.flinders.edu.au".   Short names like "www.cnn.com" worked fine.

It's a bug somewhere in the DNS.

The problem is fixed by downloading of shlibs.rpm from www.suse.com and
installing.  Here's the URL:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/6.2/a1/shlibs.rpm

You have to restart the system afterwards.

Doug

keywords: DNS resolve suse 6.2 linux

------------------------------

From: Anders Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dhcp and multiple interfaces
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:15:00 GMT

What is the easiest way to "connect the two interfaces"? One uses dhcp
(via an adsl modem) to connect to the internet. The other connects to a
hub on a local network. /Anders

--
/Anders

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Robert Kellogg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: KPPP Causes X display to Lock
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:36:26 -0600

I've had the same problem with KPPP locking my X display.  Before the
connection, everything is fine. Once the PPP daemon starts, no new Xapps
will start.
I have an Intel 740 video chipset, so I don't think your video card is the
problem. I am running Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 with XFree86 3.3.4 and KDE.

May I ask, what exactly did you do to set the display with "xhost +"?

Thanks in Advance
Robert

------------------------------

From: Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which HOWTO
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:33:28 +0000

Anders Peterson wrote:

> I have a Linux box with two network interface cards. One of these will
> connect to an adsl modem, and the other to a hub.
>
> Which howto should I read? - firewall, proxy, masquerading, ip
> chains ...
>
> I only have a basic understanding of these terms, and would like the
> easiest possible setup!
>
> I use suse linux 6.1.

Take a look at:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/silva.ip_masq.html

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \    are my own and not

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: tcp/udp port descriptions?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:03:31 GMT

In article <7r28t6$h0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Thornburg  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The list Barry gave (which can also be found by starting at
>www.iana.org -- IANA is the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority,
>if anyone needs help remembering this address -- and following a
>couple of obvious links) should reference the relevant RFC for each
>port number that is reserved by an RFC.

It should, but except in very rare cases it doesn't.  For instance, here's
what it says about Telnet:

telnet           23/tcp    Telnet
telnet           23/udp    Telnet
#                          Jon Postel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems negotiating cbcp with NT box
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:46:24 GMT

Hi all.
I'm having problems connecting to a Windows NT server providing
callback with the ms cbcp with my linux 2.2.11/ppp 2.3.7 box.

It used to work just fine after I followed the PPP/NT Howto, but then
my provider required me to use another phone number and now I'm unable
to connect.

Here's my pppd/debug output:
Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <callback 0x605> 06 90 6b 49 9c
07 02 08 02 00]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1522> <asyncmap 0xa0000> <auth 0xc027 01
00 00 03 00 00 00 0f> <magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp> < 11 04 05 f2> < 12
02> < 13 09 03 00 80 d3 b8 ef 00> < 17 04 00 1a>] sent [LCP ConfRej
id=0x1 < 11 04 05 f2> < 12 02> < 13 09 03 00 80 d3 b8 ef 00> < 17 04 00
1a>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <callback 0x605> 06 90 6b 49 9c
07 02 08 02 43] 85
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <mru 1522> <asyncmap 0xa0000> <auth 0xc027 01
00 00 03 00 00 00 0f> <magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>] sent [LCP ConfNak
id=0x2 <auth pap>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <mru 1522> <asyncmap 0xa0000> <auth 0xc027 01
00 00 02> <magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x3 <auth pap>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x4 <mru 1522> <asyncmap 0xa0000> <auth 0xc123 01
00 00 02> <magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x4 <auth pap>]
<magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x5 <auth pap>]
<magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>]
<magic 0x627eb14e> <accomp>]
cbcp_lowerup
want: 14
sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="TRON\\bbu" password="******"] rcvd [PAP
AuthAck id=0x1 "Welcome"]
Remote message: Welcome
cbcp_open
rcvd [CBCP Request id=0x1 < NoCallback>]
length: 2
no callback allowed
cbcp_resp cb_type=2
cbcp_resp CONF_NO
sent [CBCP Response id=0x1 < NoCallback delay = 0>]
rcvd [CBCP Ack id=0x1 < NoCallback delay = 0>]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Call me back, please"]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 195.192.206.40> <compress VJ 0f 00>]
rcvd [proto=0xc02b] 01 01 00 0a 01 06 a0 3e fb ac
rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
Connection terminated.
Connect time 0.1 minutes.

Why won't the server do a callback (it works just fine with Win95)???

Ok, here's my option file, in case you're curious:
ttyS0 19200 crtscts
debug
modem
noip
usepeerdns
bsdcomp 15
callback 1
name "TRON\\bbu"
remotename "lyngbyes"
nodetach
noipdefault
noccp
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/dial.chat'

Please help me...

\Ulrik Buchholtz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "CEO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bsd4.3 vs. 4.4
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:56:32 -0500

Does anyone know of any doc. that documents differences between bsd4.3
and 4.4.  At first I need interface differences, like structure changes,
maybe arguments.  If the doc. explains low level details, that will be a
plus.

This is my scenario: I built an app on using 4.3.  The customer ran it
using a 4.4 based stack.  The app. "misbehaved" due to data structure
differences and failed on a bind().  I need to know what other
differences exist and if there is a way to detect the underlying
implementation at RT.

My question is a general question, not necessarily unique to Linux.

Thanks,
  CEO

------------------------------

From: Matt Gullam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ERROR 205 -- DNS name lookup failure.
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:16:21 +0000

Norman Elliott wrote:

> "JJ (UK)" wrote:
>
> > If you can get on to ANY other internet site then it's not your system that
> > is having the problem.
> >
> > The probable cause is that the site you are trying to connect to no longer
> > exists.
> >
> > Second possibility is that the DNS (Domain Name Server - the computer that
> > tranlates the URL address into an IP address, rather like tranlating a PO
> > Box number to an actual street address) is either not up to date or is
> > faulty.
> >
> > None of which are caused by you or can be fixed by you.
> >
> > Just shrug your shoulders and move on...
> >
> > JJ (UK)
> >
> > Matt wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I keep on getting this error message when browsing a number of sites
> > >is there something wrong with my setup or the internet itself ?
> > >
> > >ERROR 205 -- DNS name lookup failure. Please contact your system
> > >     administrator.
> > >
> > >Many thanks
> > >
> > >Matt
> > >

> To add to this, you can use any available DNS Server for lookups.
> Your system will only look at those set up in your resolv.conf file.
> You would normally point this to the primary and secondary DNS
> Servers at your ISP. Are you sure resolv.conf isn't corrupt?
> IF you are not sure what they should be then your ISP should be
> able to tell you. Failing that you could try the one I use
> 195.40.1.36 which is in England.
> best wishes,
> norm

Which is also the one I use, richelieu.ns.easynet.net, as it's friends
call it. I just wonder how many free isps are actually routed through
Easynet? Anyone else use this one that is not on Zoom or Eidosnet?
--
Matt Gullam

Kill the earwigs to reply.

"The intelligence of the planet is constant,
and the population is growing"

------------------------------

From: "Philippe Wetterwald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS nightmare Help...
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:15:50 +0200

I found my problem. I set up the explorer as using a proxy... which is wrong
obviously!

Thanks,

Philippe.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: slackware 3.6 plus D-link dfe530tx
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:49:12 +0800

I'm setting up my eth0 with D-link dfe530tx.
But my linux (slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.0.35)
 cannot find the card.
 Has  anybody experienced this kind of problem?
 Please send e-mail to me. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Thank you in advance very much.

  Terence

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre van Dijk)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Browsers and Linux
Date: 7 Sep 1999 19:26:03 GMT

Op Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:30:01 +0200 is het volgende aan Ernest ontsproten:
>I just thought it rude. But, before I open my mouth I did some research. If
>you take some of the tools written mainly for the MS/IBM world they start off
>with the cursor at the top of page (after the quoted data). Tools written
>mainly for UNIX start of at the bottom (the quoted data and then space for you
>to enter data) So, those users using certain 'tools' feel themselves superior
>and arrogant enough to insist that their standard is the only standard. Just
>because 'their software' allows them that option. Either at the top or the
>bottom. I have just spend half a day trying to find the 'switch' in Netscape
>to start capturing data at the top. If it is there, it is well hidden that
>no-one should find it. If it so, that is another Linux based product I don't
>use. I like the top. I am still trying though find in the FAQ for this
>newsgroup where it says the top or the bottom. If it is not there I still
>think it pure arrogance to insist someone do it!!!

Nothing arrogant about that, it just makes sense to reply after the message
your replying to, you'll notice that in long discussions. People who drop in
in the middle can read top to bottom and follow the discussion in
chronological order. Since we read our texts top to bottom this is much
easier. It's just some stupid feature of outlook that almost makes you reply
at the top. Which is fine for answering how do i do this and that questions
but really sucks for long discussions. Also if you reply at the top it's not
clear to which particular part you're replying, and also you may forget to cut
some text from to original to save bandwith.

[cut previous messages]

--
Andre van Dijk
,----------------------------------+-------------+-----------------------.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: IRQ In Use with RealPort REM56G-100BTX - Help Requested
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:57:39 GMT

Hello Everyone,

  I am posting this in hope I might be able to get some suggestions
from those who no (a lot) more than me.
   I recently purchased a RealPort  10/100 Lan /Modem Combo card
(REM56G-100BTX). This is the 16 bit version (not cardbus) of the card.
I am running RedHat 6.0 with no changes to the kernel. When starting up
Linux I am told that the IRQ Resource is in use. I do not know where to
find a copy of the boot log (If someone could post that location I
would gladly post it) so I cannot review it. The network portion of the
card uses an IRQ of 10 Under Windows NT Server and I am not sure about
the modem, as I am not using it under Windows NT.
   I am unsure as to where to make the changes to the IRQ settings for
this card under Linux. Can anyone suggest where and how to do this?
Thank you very much.
   Also I was wondering does the modem portion of a combo PCMCIA card
need a seperate IRQ in addition to that assigned to the Lan Adapter?

-David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: tommy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:05:16 +0200

hallo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP - Hung Modem
Date: 7 Sep 1999 16:36:50 GMT

In <7r33nd$f9e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>I was setting up ppp on one of machines when I hung a Sportster 33.6
>Faxmodem. The "tr" light stayed on and would not reset. I then took off
>a Sportster 56k and triied to get it going when I hung it. The same
>problem. Eventually I got the 33.6 unhung but an unable to get the ppp
>to initialize. My setting I am sure are correct. My question is there a
>modem command besides ATZ and AT&F to reset the modem?

For a Sportster use AT&F1 to intialise. this makes it use the rtscts
lines, not xon/xoff ( which can hang the modem when you do not send an
xon after an xoff)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard P. Scott)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Alias user in Linux or Samba?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:27:22 GMT

"mms67" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello there. I have three quick questions:
>
>1. Is it possible in Linux (or Unix in general) to have two different user
>names that map to the same user ID? For example, to have user1 be equivalent
>to root, so they have distinct user names but the same user ID (number)?
Yes, but many functions use /etc/passwd to do reverse lookups from uid to
name (for instance ls), so it may become very confusing.

>2. Is it possible in Samba to map a network user to a Linux user? In other
>words, when the W98 user user1 logs into Samba, it is mapped to Linux root
>(for example, besides whether this is a good idea or not). I thought
>/etc/smbusers is designed for this (it has entries like "root =
>Administrator operator"), and smbadduser modifies that file when a new user
>is added with unixid:ntid, but it does not seem to work. I'm using Samba
>with encrypted passwords, I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the
>matter.
Yes, use the usermap (I think) option in smb.conf to specify the mapping.

>3. Is it possible to tell Samba to use Linux passwords for the network
>passwords. It is quite inconvenient to keep two sets of passwords for each
>user (in /etc/passwd and /etc/smbpasswd). Again, I'm using Samba with
>encrypted passwords, I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the matter.
>Linuxconf has a setting "Synchronize Linux and Samba passwords", but I'm not
>sure what this does, it does not seem to be doing anything. I'm using RedHat
>6.0, by the way.
I'm not sure about this, but if you have a network with NT controllers, you
can set the security to 'server' and set the password server to the NT box
that is the NT logon server. This will result in all username/password
combinations being forwarded from the Linux box to the NT box, so the
password to access the Samba shares is always the same as the normal MS
network logon.

Richard.
=====
Richard P. Scott, Lincoln, England.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Date: 7 Sep 1999 11:04:48 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> problem. Eventually I got the 33.6 unhung but an unable to get the ppp
> to initialize. My setting I am sure are correct. My question is there a
> modem command besides ATZ and AT&F to reset the modem?

What's the difference between hung and unhung if you can't initialize
(the modem I assume) under either condition?  Or do you mean that you
can't initiate a PPP connection after you connect with the modem?

The Sportster may need AT&F1 to work correctly.  If it's the PPP link
negotiations that are the problem then you need to use the pppd debug
option and look at the logs in /var/log (defined in /etc/syslog.conf)
for answers.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Governments should be changed like diapers - often and for the

------------------------------

From: Bob Gamble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Basic ethernet setup
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:29:39 -0600

I am going to want to setup my laptop with a new desktop, using the
desktop as a master, and the laptop as a slave.  I understand I can do
this by putting a modem/ethernet card in the desktop, and an ethernet
into the laptop pcmcia slot.

What sort of cable do I use to run from one computer to the other and
what is the max allowable length of this cable?   Suggestions on what
type of card(s) to use would be much appreciated also.  I intend to be
able to use this mini-network to access one printer and ISP from both
computers.  Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Bob

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP packet generator for Linux?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:05:30 -0700

Chap Harrison wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi folks,
>
>First time post from a Linux newbie - the usual caveats apply  :)
>
>I'm testing an ethernet-based IP router, and I would very much like to
>find a Linux tool that would allow me to create IP packets for
>transmission over the ethernet NIC.  In particular, I want to manipulate
>the IP header, including being able to insert bogus values therein.
>
>Anyone heard of such tool

If you're comfortable in perl, take a look at the Net::RawIP module. See
your local CPAN archive for availability.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: John Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dialling (ISDN) into Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 21:25:37 +0100

Hi

I'm trying to dial into my Linux box from a remote location using NT4.0
on my ISDN line. The NT machine successfully goes through the
authentication rigmarole, but reports that the expected NETBEUI protocol
is not available at the remote station and would I be happy with plain
TCP/IP. The TCP/IP connection works fine as far as it goes (pinging
etc.), but is not really what I had in mind. The log at the linux end is
as follows...

Sep  6 10:12:16 server kernel: isdn_net: Incoming call without OAD,
assuming '0'
Sep  6 10:12:16 server kernel: isdn_net: call from 0,7,0 -> 713750
Sep  6 10:12:16 server kernel: isdn_net: ippp0 connected
Sep  6 10:12:16 server ipppd[464]: Local number: 713750, Remote number:
08450885128, Type: incoming
Sep  6 10:12:16 server ipppd[464]: PHASE_WAIT -> PHASE_ESTABLISHED,
ifunit: 0, linkunit: 1, fd: 8
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: MPPP negotiation, He: Yes We: Yes
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: CCP enabled! Trying CCP.
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: CCP: got ccp-unit 0 for link 1
(protocol: 0x80fd)
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: ccp_resetci!
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: ccp_resetci!
Sep  6 10:12:19 server kernel: ippp: no decompressor defined!
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: Unsupported protocol 'NETBIOS Framing
Control Protocol' (0x803f) received
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: local  IP address 62.188.150.162
Sep  6 10:12:19 server ipppd[464]: remote IP address 158.43.173.231

...which confirms that ippd thinks the protocol is not supported.

As far as I can see ipppd, samba are all configured ok. (I can dial my
ISP and my network shares, communicates and prints).

Am I missing something in ipppd, pppd, samba, isdn ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

John Simpson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/js.itemkey

------------------------------

From: "Ömer Uyar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: local root&NIS
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:26:04 +0300

Hi,
Is there any way to restrict the NIS client local root users from seeing the
NIS password maps not mangled? (Now they can see the encrypted passwords). I
want them to see like shadow.
Thanks by now....

------------------------------

From: Jon Sundquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:05:04 -0400

Linux Hacker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded my AMD K6-2 400Mhz to a SuSE-6.2.  I have an ATi
> Xpert '98 Video card.  The video setup is set to a 1280x1024 32bpp.
> When I launched the KPPP, I could still launch any X-apps before the
> KPPP makes a connection.  Once the KPPP established a connection, no
> more X-apps can be launched.  However, if I set the display with "xhost
> +" before I launched the KPPP, any X-apps can be launched even after the
> KPPP has established the connection.
>
> So, what causes the KPPP to lock the X display?

It's probably changing the name of your computer.  When you connect via
PPP, your computer goes onto the internet, and it is assigned an IP
address (OK, so you knew that).  DNS will resolve your dynamic IP
address to some computer name picked by your ISP (something like
ppp32.isp.com)  But you may call your computer something else.  I don't
know how SuSe sets up ppp, but maybe it is renaming your computer to
what the rest of the work thinks it is (which is good for somethings,
like sendmail).  Meanwhile, your X display is only allowing connections
from the old computer name, so any new program, being run from the new
name, won't get access to the screen.  Xhost + will fixc this, but opens
a security hole. Play around with /etc/ppp/ip-up (or where ever it is on
SuSe) and try just "xhost-plussing" just the new name of the computer,
which you can get from the new dynamic IP address that is passed to
ip-up by pppd.

Jon Sundquist

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TurkBear)
Subject: Re: color telnet client
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:48:09 GMT

I use CRT v2 from
www.vandyke.com

and it has colors just like I would get if I were at the console...

Works great and is easy to set up...There might even be a later version
available but I haven't checked because this one has been so trouble-free...

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======