From: "Cowles, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Failed@Linux+Win98SE!Help!!:(
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:35:56 -0500

Craig,

See my comments below.

Good luck!
Steve Cowles

Craig C. Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I posted this message about a week ago but I only got one response. Now
> I changed the subject heading and I posted it again.  I know there's a
> solution to it.
>
> I did change couple of things and try couple of things but it still does
> not work. I also include the file for "smb.conf" at the end of this
> message.
>
> I also took a look at couple of web sites that couple of people
> recommend me to look but I still can not solve the problem.
>
> I looked at:
> http://memberrs.xoom.com/dansgold
> http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html
> http://www.samba.org/
>
> I am trying to network 3 computers using Win95/98 and Linux OS. The
> computer system might end up in a small office and the Linux will serve
> as a file server and a printer server. Please keep in mind that I never
> network before and I am new to Linux.
>
> This is a just a personal project for now but I NEED TO PROVE TO PEOPLE
> I COULD DO IT! PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE A FAILURE AT
> IT!
>
> I got two computers hook up already. One of the computer have Win 98 SE
> and the other computer have Caldera OpenLinux 2.2.  I made 3 users
> account on the Linux.
>
> NOW THE PROBLEM...
>
> I try to get Samba working but I ran into a problem. In the instruction
> book, it says do the following:
>
> cp smb.conf.sample smb.conf
>
> I did that. Now it says to copy the password file over to the other
> directory by doing this:
>
> cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd > /etc/samba.d/smbpasswd

Since I use Redhat distro, I did not have to do this to create smbpasswd
file.

> Now it says to create a user for the Linux and for Windows so I did
> this:
>
> smbadduser Linux-craigc:Samba-craigc
>
> And I got this error:
>
> ERROR: Linux-craigc: Not in passwd database SKIPPING...

Huh!!! The arguments that you pass must match your login accounts. Did you
really create a linux user "Linux-craigc"? or is it just "craigc"? Also,
when you login to your Windows box, what account name do you use? Typically,
they should match. i.e. When I login to my Windows box, I use the username
"scowles". When I login to my Linux box, I use the username "scowles".

> So I decided to reboot the Linux with the SMB running and I reboot
> Win98SE to see if it will still work.
>
> Well, it did not work. Win98SE does not recoginize the Linux.
>
> I decided to see if I can ping each machine. On Linux I type:
>
> ping 192.168.1.4
>
> It does ping the Win98SE.
>
> On Win98SE I type
>
> ping 192.168.1.2
>
> It does ping the Linux.
>
> So how do I solve the problem?

The only thing you have done by pinging each system is to verify that your
network (TCP/IP) settings are working properly. Which is good!!!.
Unfortunatly, ping (ICMP) and Samba (nmb/smb) have nothing to do with each
other. In short, your network must be properly configured "before" Samba
even stands a chance of working. Which you seem to have done.

> I have heard that there is an easier way to do it without using ip
> addresses but I don't know how to do it. So if anyone feels I should go
> though another path to get it to work than please let me know since the
> computer system will not be connected to the Internet.
>
> Craig
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ---- SPECIFICATIONS ON MY COMPUTER SYSTEM ----
> ---- INFO ON LINUX OS ----
>
> On the COAS -> Network -> TCP/IP -> Resolver window
> -information source: host, nis, dns
> -Try to prevent spoofing: checked
> -Report spoof attempts: checked
> -DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
>
> On the COAS -> Network -> Ethernet interfaces window
> - Network devices:eth0
> - PNP configuration: disabled
> - Interface address: 192.168.1.2
> - Network mask: 255.255.255.0
> - Broadcast address: 192.168.1.255
> - Default Route: enable
> - Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
> - Init at boot time: enable
>
> Host name: craig.linux.car
>
> Network card: Linksys Ether16 10BaseT LAN Model # LNE2000T
>
> -- INFO ON WIN98SE --
>
> In Network settings
> In configuration, it have these items listed:
> - client for Microsoft networks
> - D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Ethernet Adapter
> - TCP/IP
>
> In identifications, it have the following:
> - Computer name: CRAIGCH
> - Workgroup: WORKGROUP
> - Computer description: <blank>
>
> In Access Control, it have the "Share level access control" checked
>
> In the properties for "Client for Microsoft Networks":
> - Windows NT Domain name: craig.linux.car
> - Logon and restore network connections (checked)

Again, you are confused on Microsoft Networking (Netbois/Samba) and the
Domain Naming System (DNS). If you configured Samba to be a MS Domain
Controller, then you would specify the MS Domain name. From what I can tell
from your post, craig.linux.car needs to be replaced with WORKGROUP. BTW:
Why are you using .car? If your going to invent a domain name, why not stick
with .com? It does not really matter though, Samba and DNS have nothing to
do with each other.

> In the properties for "TCP/IP":
> - IP Address: 192.168.1.4
> - Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> - WINS disabled

Enable WINS resolution and change the IP address to point to the IP address
of your linux box. You will need to make a change to smb.con to compensate.
(see below)

> - Gateway: 192.168.1.1
> - DNS enable
> - Host: craig
> - Domain: linux

Using your post for reference, this needs to be changed to linux.car

> - DNS search order: 192.168.1.2
> - Netbios enable (can not be disable)
> - Allow binding to ATM - Value = Yes
> - (checked, can not be unchecked) set this protocol to be the default
> protocol

Since your able to ping the other systems on your network, I will not
comment on this.

> - Binding (checked) client for Microsoft Networks
>
> The primary Network logon is "client for Microsoft Networks
>
> In the file and print sharing, it is UNchecked for "I want to be able to
> give other access to my files." and "I want to be able to allow others
> to print to my printer."

If you want your Linux box to be able to see your Windows system, I would
suggest that you "check" access to other files.

> -- SMB.CONF file --
>
> I removed all the comments that starts with "#" because this message is
> already as long as it is.
>
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGOUP

I hope this is a type-o. Should be set to WORKGROUP to match what you set
earlier in you MS networking settings.

> server string = Samba Server on Caldera OpenLinux
> hosts allow = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

This needs to be your network address. i.e 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

> load printers = yes
> ; printcap name = /etc/printcap
> printing = lprng
> ; guest account = pcguest
> ; log file = /var/log/samba.d/smb.%m
> max log size = 50
> security = user
> ; password server = <NT-Server-Name>
> password level = 8
> username level = 8
> encrypt passwords = no
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba.d/smbpasswd
> ; unix password sync = Yes
> ; passwd program = usr/bin/passwd %u
> ; password chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
> %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> ; username map = /etc/samba.d/smbusers
> ; include = /etc/samba.d/smb.congf.%m
> ; socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
> ; remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
> ; remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

Enable remote announce. i.e remote announce = 192.168.1.255
This always needs to be set to the broadcast address of your network.

> local master = yes
> ; os level = 33
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> ; domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
> domain logons = yes
> logon script = %m.bat
> logon script = %u.bat
> ; logonpath = \\%L\Profiles\%u
> ; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
> ; wins support = yes

Enable wins support. Make sure your windows systems are configured to use
WINS along with the IP address of this server.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kaemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC stops responding
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:27:09 +0200

fred anger schrieb:

> I'm having a problem on 2 Linux machines where the NIC seems to just
> stop responding.  What's bizzare is the fix:  unplug the cable from the
> hub, then plug it back in.  Before unplugging the cable, the link light
> on the hub is out.  Plugging the cable back in, the link light comes
> back on, and traffic flows through the NIC again.  Both NICs are 3Com
> 3C905 Boomerangs.  Any ideas?

I suggest you to set the speed for your cards manually. May be this can
solve your problem.
Look at:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

CU Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:57:28 +1000
From: Heywood Jablome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux-Win9x sharing modems

I have 2 windows 95 systems, and a linux system which is only a 486 with
limited resources (486 dx4 120 - 32mb Ram).
I want have a 56k modem connected to the faster of the two win95 boxes.
I want to share that modem between all three of the systems.
I understand that I will have to upgrade the linux box to redhat or
something like that (I'm running monkey linux).
Can I get the modem shared on the windows 95 box or will I have to
connect the modem to the linux box and have the other two systems
working off that. Which will mean that I need to run the linux box as
THE server wont' I?
Thanks in advance
Heywood

--
Aluminium makes up almost 8% of the earths crust.

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:0:48 GMT

> I have just started using Linux, and my wife runs windows98.
I was
> wondering where I could find info on what I need to hook
these two
> together to share printers, and hard drives etc. I want to do
this
> mostly as a learning experience. Any help is appreciatred,
>
> Ross Jones

Look at:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3200&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2942

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: inconsistent ethernet MAC addresses
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:1:46 GMT

Linux Arp often gets outdated if people arent paying attention.
The easiest one to trust if you can do it consistantly (As arp
ties in a lot with linux, and i love linux, but its not always
trustworthy as to its sources) would be winipcfg, as it does a
direct hardware query.  Next most trusty would be dhcpd logs if
you have them, if not, use ifconfig.
> To make our cable modem work properly, the cable company
needs the mac
> addresses of our ethernet cards.
>
> Now I know a few ways of getting this mac address of a NIC:
>
> - it is printed on the card itself (which i've already ruled
out as a
> reliable source)
> - the dos diagnostics program delivered with the card
> - in windows: winipcfg
> - linux ifconfig
> - with linux on my computer i can see the mac-addresses of
the other
> devices in the network in /proc/net/arp
>
> But which source of information should I believe, if they are
> inconsistent??? I've seen inconsistencies for 3 out of 7
ethernet cards

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3179&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2991

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: netstat question????
Date: 10 Sep 1999 07:00:36 -0500

Jose Castro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> Iface
> 10.65.28.26     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
> ppp0
> 0          0 eth0
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
> eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
> lo
> 0.0.0.0         10.65.28.26     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
> ppp0

> WHY does the second entry has a G flag??
> 192.168.0.1 is my IP and 192.168.0.0 is my network, so I dont need a
> gateway.

Correct.  Find where it's been created in the boot-up files and delete it.
It'll only cause trouble - as you likely have found out.

> I just installed RH6.0

> Also is 0.0.0.0 the default network?  Why dont they just say default???

It's the default and is probably defined somewhere, maybe in
/etc/networks, drop the -n from the netstat command and see.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mount
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:1:12 GMT

> Would someonne tell me whaqt this means?
What mount means?  Under unix systems you don't have seperate
'drives' like c:, d:, etc.  You have one filesystem that starts
at /.  Now underneath / you have subdirectories and can 'mount'
a harddrive, device or network share.  Here would be some
examples
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy     # mount floppy drive A
mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/d_drive   # mount the second partition of
a slave ide
                               # drive
mount machineb:/usr/home /home # mount another unix machines
/usr/home
                                 directory as /home locally
You can also mount windows shares.  See http://www.samba.org/
for info on that.
HTH,
--Steve

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3183&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2956

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH client for Win98?
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:0:59 GMT

> Is there an SSH client for Win98? If so, where can I download
it?

this is the page you are looking for:
http://www.net.lut.ac.uk/psst/
it contains links to all kinds of ssh implementaions ...
win32 but also MAC, winCE, VMS, palm (!!!) and so on ..
there is also a comercial version of ssh from
http://www.ipsec.com/
-heinrich

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3191&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2953

------------------------------

From: Bram Metsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fax using an isdn adapter
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:02:06 +0200

Hi,

Is there anybody who knows how to send faxes using an isdn adapter?
(BTW, I use an AVM Fritz card)
It seems that SuSE's HylaFax does not support it (I tried it using the
device /dev/ttyI1 which should emulate a modem). Is there another way to
get it running?

Thanks in advance,
Bram Metsch

------------------------------

From: "ISM Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ADSL + Cisco Commander + Linux: possible?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:05:09 -0500

I also have DSL Through USWest, however I do not have to use Commander as I
can just use standard Dial up connections, but I do not not know how to get
this to work with Linux any Ideas?  I have a mulithoned machine with a
news:7r8q62$kv8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Glen Harris)
Subject: Ping works but telnet doesn't? HELP!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:27:49 GMT

  I have a really weird problem with SuSE 6.1.  I installed it on my
home system and all was working fine.  I could telnet/http/ftp/NFS to
my other (Slackware) linux system through my 10baseT network, and I
had PPP set up to the modem pool at work.

  Suddenly a couple of weeks ago the local network became a notwork.
I can ping back and forth between the two machines, using either
IP addresses or hostnames, but that's about it.  Telnet, ftp, http,
SMTP, tftp, none of them work, either in or out.  One machine is a
nameserver, and stragely nslookup works, as does ARP requests and
replies - these can be seen through tcpdump, and the hub lights
flicker nicely.  I tried replacing the hub with a known good one
with no luck.

  Now, the really weird thing is that PPP to work still works
fine, and I can telnet/ftp/netscape with no problems at all.
As a matter of fact I'm posting this message from the SuSE box
via a telnet over the PPP link now, and can ping the Slackware
box next to me, but a telnet just hangs indefinitely......

  I borrowed a Win95 laptop, and I could telnet from it to the
slackware box, but not to the SuSE one.  Running netstat from the
slackware box while trying a telnet shows an open port with a
SYN_SENT, and tcpdump shows the ARP request/response, but no
indication on the SuSE box.

  BTW, tcpdump on both boxes shows exactly the same packets going
back and forth.  I'm running a pretty well identical system at
work and it works fine.  I can't think of anything I could have done
to make this problem appear - Can anyone hazard any guesses?  At this
stage, I'm open to wild speculation as the only solution I can see
is to re-install my boot partition, and that'll mean re-installing
all sorts of other things.....

Thanks, glen.

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: icmp reply problem on home network
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:1:28 GMT

seems you forgot to tell the machines about the netmask
255.255.255.0
maybe thats why your 2.2 machine may think that it is a packet
from
another network. (setting interfaces and routes is a little
different on 2.2 kernels)
also try to enable ip_forwarding on the machine.
-heinrich
> I have set up a home network consisting of 2 linux machines
connected together
> via an RJ45 cable with a cross-over:
>
> Machine 1 (desktop: 192.168.1.1) running RH6.0 (2.2.2-15
kernel) with ipchains
> disabled
>           (ipchains -L shows ACCEPT for all routes).
>
> Machine 2 (laptop: 192.168.1.9) running TomsRtBt microLinux
(2.0.36 kernel).

> Both machines are using a 3Com Etherlink III card; machine 2
(a laptop) is using
> the pcmcia version of it.
>
> Both machines have 1 configured eth0 interface which is
operating fine
> (ifconfig/netstat show packets being received and send with
no errors). Both
> machines have 2 routes; 1 for localhost, and one for the
192.168.1.0 network.

> The crunch is that ping'ing either machine results in no ping
output (no errors
> - nada!). Running tcpdump on 192.168.1.1 shows that the
packets are coming in
> OK, but no ICMP echo replies are being sent out from either
machine being
> ping'ed. Also of interest is that tcpdump is showing I'm
getting bad checksums,
> and it thinks the packets are flying between machines
192.168.0.1 and
> 192.168.0.9 ?!!?!????
>
> In desparation I tried running muLinux (2.0.36 kernel) on
192.168.1.1 with the
> same routing table and network interface setup as the RH6.0
installation, and
> then the ping works fine to/from both machines! telnet, ftp
and everything else
> also works fine! Can anybody suggest a solution as to why
Machine 1 is not

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3190&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2978

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: routing,dial on demand
Date: 10 Sep 1999 13:1:36 GMT

> hi,
> now everything is working. my problem is, I'm using two win98
clients and
> the server dial every 15 min to my isp. I think there is a
problem with some
> udp request from the win 98 clients.
>
> is it possible to see what happends on the network with linux
SuSe 6.1 K.
> 2.2.7?
Yes, use tcpdump and read the manual, man tcpdump.
You didn't tell enough about your problem/system, what do you
use to call
to your isp? diald?

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3196&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2985