From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: ipchains & smb
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:30:22 GMT

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:04:38 +0000, mindas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
comp.os.linux.networking:

>W95 <-> eth1/linux box/eth0 <-> smb network <-> gateway to internet
>eth1 address: 10.0.100.1
>eth0 address: 10.0.0.203

>Problem: W95 computer cannot access smb network. Internet (on W95
>computer) works o.k., ping/tracert/etc goes through, but smb packeds
>does not reach W95 box. I've made my linux box as WINS server, and W95
>is now able to see smb names (but not shares).

The WINS server is keeping a list of all visible SMB-compatible machines
using the IP address as seen from the Linux (WINS) server.  Your Win95
machine does not go through the masquerade to get to the WINS service, so
it is being registered as 10.0.100.X.  Since your Linux machine is
masquerading all ports, the Win95 machine is then connecting to the smb
network as 10.0.0.203.  Not only is it coming on an unadvertised address
(and therefore may be ignored for security reasons), but there is no way
for the smb machines to connect back to the Win95 machine because
masquerading is a one-way deal.  When the smb machines try to send
information to the Win95 machine at 10.0.0.203 the Linux server happily
throws the packet away.

Turn off masquerading on the Samba ports so the Win95 machine can
communicate directly to the Windows network (using the Linux machine as a
router only).

Example:
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -F forward
ipchains -A forward -b -p TCP -s 10.0.100.0/24 -d 10.0.0/24 137:139
ipchains -A forward -b -p UDP -s 10.0.100.0/24 -d 10.0.0/24 137:139
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -p TCP -s 10.0.100.0/8 -d 0/0 -i eth0
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -p UDP -s 10.0.100.0/8 -d 0/0 -i eth0

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: named fails since upgrading from RH5.1 to RH5.2
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 01:30:32 GMT

Mark,

Bind now uses named.conf which has a totally new syntax from named.boot. I can't
remember
the location of the "converter" utility on RH5.2, but I think it is in the
/usr/doc/bind
directory. Look for a filename of 'named-bootconf.pl'
This is a perl script that will take your existing named.boot file (as input) and
convert
it to the new format required for named.conf. Worked great for me...

Steve Cowles
SWCowles at gte dot net

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: winrip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux-Router
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:02:37 -0400

Micha wrote:

> hello,
>
> has anyone dealed with the disks of the Linux Rputer Project? (LRP)
>
> My Problem:
> ne.o is loading with some error-messages
> /dev/eth0 does not exist
>
> Who can give me some help to solve this problem.
> Or give me some hints for HOWTOS etc.
> Has anybody a working installation with NE2000-compatible card?
>
> Thanx a lot for any help!
> (please do a CC to [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> Holger

Well first off is it multi-homed??? next ne2000 compat isn't hard you
just have to have the correct irq's and i/o. If you are multi-homing
using two ne2000 compats, I'd suggest copying ne.o to ne1.o and assign
one module to each card i.e. etho gets ne.o and eth1 gets ne1.o.

If you need more help e-mail me

------------------------------

From: Jeff Volckaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Accessing Linux server on a DOS client
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:09:15 -0400

You need a packet driver for your nic and a package like NCSA telnet.
You could also use a package like bobcat to run lynx-in-dos and view
webpages.

Jeff Volckaert

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Home network, wingate, linux as proxy, etc.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 01:30:31 GMT

In the simplest terms, Linux does not restrict how many clients you have
masquerading behind the gateway IP address.  Linux has firewall
services, too.  Please look into Linux before buying Wingate.  It could
save you several bucks.  Plus Linux is 'free' or very inexpensive.

Linux is an ideal solution for your needs.  Inexpensive and simple to
implement.

Also, look into the HOWTO's in the Linux Documentation Project:
mirror site:  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/

- Scott

Jason Rosenberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in setting up a home network.
> Currently, I have a single Windows NT machine,
> connected to a cable modem.  I am looking at
> expanding things, so that I will have a second
> NT workstation, an NT laptop (which will come
> and go), and eventually a linux system.
>
> I have been looking at using WinGate to access the
> cable modem from anywhere on the local net.  I am
> wondering if linux (and other Unixes, Macs, for that matter),
> will work as clients to the wingate server, which will
> be one of the NT systems.  The WinGate home page doesn't
> seem to indicate much support for varied client os support,
> but I am wondering whether it will work anyway.
>
> I am looking at WinGate since it has been highly recommended,
> and it seems easy to install and use, and it has firewall
> capabilities.
>
> Naturally, I am also interested in knowing what linux has to
> offer in terms as acting as my proxy server and fire-wall.
> I'm not too educated on linux to date, but I do have extensive
> experience with other flavors of unix.
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> Jason

                 Scott Nolde
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: winrip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't dial up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:07:21 -0400

Phreakazoid wrote:

> I am not sure, please correct me if i am wrong, but after you logon to your
> ISP a ppp connection will be put up, minicom is not capable of handling such
> a connection.
> You should be using a ppp capable dialup program. I like to use WVDIAL
> because it's easy to configure and use.
>
> greetz & good luck
> Bruno Tony
> ESC Brussels
>
> exploser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:7rbbsv$a03@rain...
> > When I use Minicom,
> > i type ' atdt300143000' then the modem started to dial up to connect the
> > server,but after finished type in the user ID & Password, it gives out
> many
> > strange code,then a message "No carrier" appeared!!!!??
> > Why ???????? and How to solve it!!!!!!!??Please help me!!!!!

Actually minicom can handle ppp, I used to use it before i found wvdial. I
think the user is forgetting to type ppp to start the session tho'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: DNS and demand dialing
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:03:12 -03-59

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis) writes:

> "General consensus" is wrong then. It does work and is in
> fact pretty much the only way you are going to be able to
> control things if you want systems to be able to resolve
> external names. But you have to be able to get the configs
> right *for your circumstances*.

So how have you set it up, and how do you keep BIND from
kicking off a connect when it does its periodic maintenance?
Are you running a caching-only nameserver, or a 'real' name-
server? Are you using diald, or pppd with demand?

Dale Pontius
DEPontius AT usa DOT net

------------------------------

From: "HillBoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable Modem woes
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:04:22 GMT

I'm having the same problems hooking up to ATT's @Home. DHCPCD does not
appear to be working at all in mandrake 6.0. It fails to get the IP info
from the cable modem. All I should have to do is edit the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup and replace the $PUMP references with
dhcpcd -h <hostname> which I did. Of course, everything works just fine
under Windows 98. If you find an answer please send it to me.

news:7rbimq$9l0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chris Platts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Routing via DSL
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:40:18 +0100

I'd just like to add that yup - IP Masqerading works great, and is really
easy to set up too!  But make sure you've got decent firewall rules -
especially with the combination of the 'always on' nature of DSL connections
and having a static IP address.

Chris

news:ajmB3.616$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP Problems
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:12:10 GMT

How does your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 look?

Like this??
DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
GATEWAY=xx.xx.xx.xx (gateway address)
IPXNETNUM_802_2=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_2="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_2="no"
IPXNETNUM_802_3=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_3="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_3="no"
IPXNETNUM_ETHERII=""
IPXPRIMARY_ETHERII="no"
IPXACTIVE_ETHERII="no"
IPXNETNUM_SNAP=""
IPXPRIMARY_SNAP="no"
IPXACTIVE_SNAP="no"
USERCTL=yes

Michael Radtke wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>     I've just installed Redhat Linux 6.0 on a machine with 2 ethernet
> cards.  I'm using the machine as a NAT box for my private network.  The
> problem is that the card going out to the Internet, (it's an AOpen PCI
> card that is using the NE2K PCI driver), will work if given a static IP
> address, but not with bootp or DHCP.  I read the HOWTO's and whatnot to
> no avail.  I noticed that the docs talk about dhcpcd, but my script
> calls pump.  When the system boots up, I get the message that it is
> trying to get a network address, but that it fails.  Is it because I'm
> using pump?  Or is there something else?  Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

                 Scott Nolde
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Jayden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SOHO 2000, Cable Modem, Mandrake, and Win98 Networking
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:51:35 -0500

Ok, here's the situation.  When my cable company finally releases cable
internet service I'm going to buy a BeadleNet SOHO 2000.  What it does is
act as a firewall/hub, and masks 4 machines behind one IP.  If you enable
DHCP and allow DHCP for WINS resolution it will allow up to four machines to
share files and the Internet connection.  My question is how do I make my
Mandrake 6.0 machine do that.  I think I remember how to tell it to use
DHCP, but I'm kind of lost on the DHCP for WINS resolution.  It's easy on my
wife's Win 98 machine, it's just a checkbox.  Any Ideas?

------------------------------

From: "HillBoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cable modem can't ping gate way
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:37:50 GMT

I'm in the same boat. How do you look at the routing table.

KevinDTimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well, I tried it and (by god) the little devil works like a charm!
> Thanks from the bottom of my heart, I have been working on this since
> 6:00 pm (plus a little playing yesterday) and all of the hollering
> could have been over hours ago!
>
> Hallelujah!
>
> KT
>
> KevinDTimm wrote:
> >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > Well, its a little on the late side tonight (I'm dying to get to bed,
> > but I think you probably hit it on the head)  The routing is a good
> > guess, actually my route table looks almost exactly like this.
> >
> > I will try it now (because I can't bear to wait)
> >
> > Thanks much, I'll report back.
> >
> > KT
> >
> > "Andrew J. Norman" wrote:
> > >
> > > First off check your routing table.  You should have your default
route
> > > (0.0.0.0) look something like the one below
> > >
> > > Kernel IP routing table
> > > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use