Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 08:28:25 -0500
From: Tom Treder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Losing interest

I note the original post says "**Losing** interest", not "**Lost** interest".

Been There, Done That.  Never resorted to flame, not counting that "Sound
Blaster poptart" incident.... (haha)

A year after landing my first helpdesk gig (basically reinstalling Win95 over
and over and over) I discovered Linux, decided it would be the future of
computing,  -- and decided in six months I'd master it.  Then the world would
be mine, hooohahahahaaaa!!!

Then Netscape went open source, Sun won its Java jive against M$FT (for a
while), AOL bought Netscape, AMD sales beat Intel, and while DOJ scored hit
after hit MSFT stock nevertheless continued up, up, up.  Linux has been as big
as all those developments, and there have been entire months when no Windows
ran in this house, and I still can't get my frickin' sound card to work in
Linux  (maybe I'll post in the hardware group).  Pity my wife, who's often
heard me say "I HATE LINUX" and "I LOVE LINUX" with equal conviction in the
same day.

Just 18 months ago, nobody in my circle had an alternative to Gates' vision of
"Windows on every desktop" (including the desktops at the police department,
the FBI, the voting booth, the IRS, the Pentagon, the hospital records
departement.... and remember Windows' Globally Unique Identifier, which hasn't
gone away??).  "Whadda ya mean, no Windows? You like DOS?"

So get a good workout. Get laid.  Watch a Marx brothers movie.  Or contemplate
the potential consequences to your personal freedom, privacy, security and
economics when M$FT (or any group, really) cannot be curbed.  It's a brutal
tactic, but facing such real-life nightmares often motivate me to breakup my
mental logjam, quit whining and get back to work.

------------------------------

From: Maarten Afman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress 16 NIC
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 15:23:31 +0200

lsagala wrote:

> I'm actually having problems getting my EtherExpress16 recognized and
> working. I tried using netcfg, linuxconf but nothing worked. At bootup, it
> errors everytime with eth0 delaying and failing. Any idea?

I have had it working. You need to grap a utility from www.intel.com which sets up the
card. It's
called SOFTSET.EXE. Write down the things like I/O address; IRQ... And set the IRQ and
IO addresses
to something which isn't used in Linux! In /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports you see
what is used.

Then pass this info on to the module. Learn to do this by hand! Linuxconf just doesn't
do the job.
>From my memory:

modprobe eexpress io=0xblah irq=5

But with this card you never know. The thing is broken. Low speed; high processor
usage. Have you
read he comment at the top of eexpress.c? Real funny!

Success anyway.

--
 ((    Maarten Afman                         ))
  ))   email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ((

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:46:09 +1000
From: Heywood Jablome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Win98 Proxy with linux

Just reading your info here.. I want to do the same thing, run my Linux box
as the access to the net, and connect my two win9x boxes to the net from
there. I also want to be able to get hold of the hard drive on the linux box
via the other two computers.
how do I do this? I have redhat linux on the linux box. Does this "Ip
Masquarding" come with Redhat, or how to do I do it? I'm guessing I'll need
samba for the file sharing bit. I currently have sygate running between the
win9x systems, and that shares the internet access beautifully between the
win9x systems. I want the same sort of thing for the linux box.

--
Aluminium makes up almost 8% of the earths crust.

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Eicon Diva ISDN T/A, RH6.0, ppp0 never comes up
Date: 12 Sep 1999 08:40:59 -0500

Tom Treder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Well, for one thing I'm missing the options file - slipped a keystroke,
> sorry for any confusion   ;^b
> /etc/ppp/options contains:

> modem
> defaultroute
> crtscts
> +ua
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

You can get detailed PPP link negotiation messages by adding the option
debug.  These often show enough to determine the cause of the problem.

> However, I can comment out all lines in options, the result is the same: no
> ppp0, no output to my file /var/log/isdn.msg, output to /var/log/messages
> as noted.
> One additional question - what exactly does that "+ua" mean?  It's not
> documented in "info pppd", I picked it up from (probably) this NG.

Here's a quote from the ppp-2.2.0f man pages:

       +ua <p>
              Agree to authenticate using PAP [Password Authenti-
              cation Protocol] if requested by the peer, and  use
              the  data  in file <p> for the user and password to
              send to the peer. The file contains the remote user
              name, followed by a newline, followed by the remote
              password, followed by a newline.   This  option  is
              obsolescent.

It is in fact still in the latest pppd from ppp-2.3.9 but no longer
advertised.

Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Better is the enemy of good enough. */

------------------------------

From: RG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Chains not working...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:48:14 GMT

Have you installed IPCHAINS?

------------------------------

From: Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help: please give me some hints...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:07:23 +0200

Jimmy Lio wrote:
> I have no experience on setting up a router and maintaining a DNS...

See the following two HOWTO's:
  - Net-3 (or whatever is the current version) for general Linux
    networking,
  - DNS for DNS setup.

> In the scenario of my
> school network, is it really crucial to maintain a DNS?

Probably yes. As a reasonable minimum, your DNS should do caching of
the ISP's DNS and be the authoritative DNS for your school's internal
network.

> The local ISP also runs its own
> DNS, should I use the ISP's DNS instead?

Will the ISP give static IP addresses to each of your school's
computers? If so, their DNS may be OK to use, just very inefficient
and awkward to administer:
 - each local reference (say, from the lab PC to the lab server),
   would be resolved by the ISP's DNS,
 - instead of doing all the administration of network addresses /
   names locally, you'll have to ask the ISP to do everything for
   you.

BTW, if you cross post like this again, someone's gonna kill you
for it.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                         http://swietano.spedia.net
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: Howard Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,netscape.public.mozilla.java
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.6 + JAVA -> freezes
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:10:56 -0400

Robert,

    Please share the fix, I've been all over RedHat's errata site and I can't find
anything remotely resembeling a fix for the Navigator + Java problem

Howard Pepper

------------------------------

Date: 12 Sep 99 10:13:02 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need modem help with linux...outside realm of HOWTOs

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to JackNB ;

> System: Laptop
> Modem:  Foresson, internal with Rockwell RCVDL56ACF
>         This is NOT a winmodem!

> Init string: Same under both w98 and linux RH6.0 (kernel-2.2.10)
> IRQs:        Same under both OSs

> Under w98, downloads proceed at 40-50kbs with few, if any stalls.

> Problem:
> Under linux, downloads start at 50+k and drop to
> zero almost immediately, stalls for varying periods of time, then
> sawtooths between high speed and stalls.  Stalls last from seconds
> to minutes.  Effectively linux is unusable to download any file more
> than a few kb.

> Have tried various packet sizes and varied init strings and most
> every other variable; made no difference.

> Another even stranger phenomenon: linux refuses to connect to any
> Netscape ftp site; Communicator 6.1 installed.  No other ftp site is
> involved.

> Would appreciate any help.

Whats your ppp options entry? Should probably have an entry that looks
something like this:

asyncmap 0x200a0000

Where the 'a' represents the escapeing of the xon and xoff characters, and
is required in order to allow the modems to do their own flow controls.
The 2 also escapes the 0x1d character, and that seems to cut way back on
the 'stalls' here too.

There is a discussion albeit very terse, in the man pages for pppd IIRC.
Basicly its a 32 bit value, given on 0xstyle notation, where each bits
position in that 32 bit value represents one of the characters below the
space character, normally used for controls in a seriel communications
environmment.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

Date: 12 Sep 99 10:24:54 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Jimmy Lio;

 JL> Pretty soon,  the school where I work will be given a free 64K
 JL> leased line for Internet connection... It is said that a router
 JL> is extremely important to connecting the Intenet thru. the leased
 JL> line... In addition, a DNS should also be maintained in the
 JL> network of the school...

 JL> I have no experience on setting up a router and maintaining a
 JL> DNS... Can any experts out there lend me a hand please?  In the
 JL> scenario of my school network, is it really crucial to maintain a
 JL> DNS?  If it is, what is the scope that my DNS should cover?  The
 JL> local ISP also runs its own DNS, should I use the ISP's DNS
 JL> instead?  What would be the advantages and disadvantages of them
 JL> both?

If that leased line is from your ISP, and not tied directly to the
backbone, then you should be able to use their DNS.  All that will
require is an entry for the address of that machine.

OTOH, if the machine you run the DNS on is the only one that knows about
the rest of the world, and its secured, then the temptation to do some
'editing' of the list to remove the pruient sites becomes rather
attractive.  This is, I expect, a 24 hour a day job though unless you
can find some filtering software that will do it for you *most* of the
time.

Note that this will not prevent some determined individual from bringing
the numerical address in and useing it to bypass your efforts.  Blocking
that is another area, requiring a numerical blacklist and its
maintainance.

#include <std.disclamer> cause I haven't the foggiest how to do all that!

Cheers, Gene

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipchains: forwarding packets HELP!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:23:37 +0100

Ari Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>I've been dealing with a variation of this for a long long time, I need
>help to resolve it.
>
>I'm now running 2.3.0 with the ipchains software.
>
>I'm setup with a cable modem to a linux box, then back out to an
>internal network with a second card.
>
>if I want anyone that calls up my ip address on a browser to be
>redirected to another machine on my internal network, how do I do it?

*snip*

I'd look at the ipmasqadm program, as it seems to do just what you
require.  You need certain kernel compile options set, too.

--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:25:52 +0100

Alan Latteri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>Hi,
>
>I just installed OpenLinux 2.2 off CDROM.  When I to do IP Masquerade i get
>the following result.
>
>[root@ham /root]# ipchains -P forward DENY
>ipchains: Protocol not available
>
>IP Forward is enable for the ethernet devices so I am at a loss.  Anyone
>have an idea??

Most likely you haven't compiled in masquerading support into the
kernel, or some of your programs aren't up-to-date.

--
Mist.