  request :how to manipulate multicast functions (Tackjin)

From: "Ernest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Browsers and Linux
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:40:32 +0200

And thank you for being so understanding.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: alphaomega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Another username in Network Mapping under Win95/98
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 05:16:33 GMT

Hi Guys!....

Under Windows NT, when you map a network drive, it has an option to
specify the username and password to use. How can I do this under
Windows 9x?.

I have tried using:
\\server\usershare\%username%  => Result: invalid password
\\server\usershare%username => Result: invalid password

Many thanks in advanced...
Computers are like women... Nobody understand them!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Blacka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Creating a ppp dial in server to my network
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:04:20 -0700

I really want to know also. When you find out, please let me know.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: William Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Challenge
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 05:56:49 GMT

It sounds like it would be perfect for what you want to use it for
except the hd space.  AFAIK Linux needs a minimum 250Mb just for the
core OS.  I can't see you could get around that.  With hard disks as
cheap as they are it's probably be worth your while to find a 500Mb or
1Gb disk and throw in there.

Bill

Heywood Jablome wrote:

> A Challenge
> I have a 486 SX -25 mhz machine. with a 40mb HDD and a monochrome video
> card (Hercules - Text only, pretty much)
> Would it be possible, to somehow get a version of something, probably
> linux on to it, so it can just sit there and work as a firewall or
> tcpwrapper or whatever the hell you need to act as protection to your
> system? The burning question is, will it be possible.. I can put a 300mb
> HDD on it, but I would prefer to keep that one else where..
>
> --
> Aluminium makes up almost 8% of the earths crust.

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.
remove '1.nospam' to reply

From: Lou Cinci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6,CableModem,DHCP,2nd NIC=HANG-On-Boot
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:09:42 GMT

This was going to be easy...it seems a LOT of folks are doing it.

I have a RedHat 6 box, and MediaOne (lan city) cable modem. I installed Linux
with one NIC  (3C509B) and selected DHCP....big deal...it worked as expected.

What's next? Add a second NIC to route to private net, setup Masq, FW, and ???.
When I added the second NIC (another 3C509) card to the system and booted,
the system hung when starting up the first interface (eth0).

I thought I could just add the card to the system and boot - autoconfig and all
that.
What do I need to 'do' to add the second NIC?
How do I get it to boot? Turn off DHCP?

I'll leave it here for now...

Please respond to group and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks-

    Lou Cinci

------------------------------

From: "Wade Vose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
Subject: Behind a PerfectPort firewall, trying to get real ip address
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 01:19:21 -0400

My apartment complex recently installed an ethernet network that provides us
with high speed Internet access.  Through a little investigation, I've found
that they are using a firewall system called PerfectPort, which assigns each
NIC a 10.2. fake IP address via DHCP.  In addition, I have a Linux-based web
server out on the Internet, with 15 "real" IP addresses assigned to it.

The problem/question I pose is: Is there way to get myself a real IP address
for my computer behind the firewall?

Before you respond with an emphatic "NO!", allow me to explain what I've
tried so far.  I've set up a PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) server
on the Linux box and tried to connect to it with Win98's PPTP support.  I
was unable to complete such a connection, because, according to the PPTP
logs, the server was unable to connect back to my machine, trying to connect
to the real IP of the firewall.  I've also looked into IPSec, but it too
seems to require that each box can ping the other.

So I guess a more refined question would be: Is there any program or method
that can establish a connection through a firewall out to a box on the net
and shuttle all the traffic to an outside IP address over this connection to
a machine behind a firewall?

Any help, suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

                    Sincerely,
                            Wade Vose.

------------------------------

From: Niels Heirbaut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Making Netscape stable..?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:53:01 +0200

David Crooke wrote:

> I am running Linux on Intel x86 with Netscape 4.51
>
> I downgraded from 4.61 back to 4.51 as I find it more stable. The things
> which usually crash it in my experience, in order:
>
> 1. Almost any kind of Java applet - Java support is very fragile, e.g.
> iconifying and reopening a Navigator window containing an applet is
> enough to effect a hard crash. turning Java off is a good idea - on many
> sites, applets are just used for fancy decor and the site is viewable
> without them.
>
> 2. Plug-ins
>
> 3. Simple stress - I often tend to do a web search and then middle
> button lots of new windows at a time to see what the links have yielded.
> Hitting 20 or 30 windows can occasionally cause it to fall over.
>
> If there are any ambitious open source coders looking for a project,
> there is definitely scope for a good browser project for non-Windows
> platforms. Netscape has dropped the ball on Windows, but even with the
> best browser in the world they could never hope to compete with a
> preloaded one from the OS vendor. Nonetheless they seem to pour all
> their efforts into the Windows version at the expense of the platform
> which they have exclusive reign over.
>
> Dave
> --
> David Crooke, Austin TX, USA. +1 (512) 656 6102
> "Open source software - with no walls and fences, who needs Windows
> and Gates?"

There is already an Open Source browser project. Check
http://www.mozilla.org
It runs on many platforms and is getting very mature at the moment.

Kind regards,

Niels Heirbaut

--

---
Please remove SPAMLESS_ from my e-mail address to keep me .....

------------------------------

From: Greg Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.protocols.smb
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:16:36 +1000

It will automatically take the username of the person logged onto the
W9x PC.
The password it is after is that users password.  The logged on users
permissions will determine if they can connect to a network drive or
not.  It doesn't matter if this is an NT share or eg a Unix shared
network drive.

Greg

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:35:10 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP script?

Note that password input is taken from the initiating tty, but then
resumes taking input from the stdin redirect.

'cat tmp | ftp dell' works also.

[11:27] asus:~ > cat tmp
tim
cd /home/tim
pwd
hash
status
get 1.tmp /dev/null
bye
[11:27] asus:~ > ftp dell < tmp
Password:Name (dell:tim):
257 "/home/tim" is current directory.
Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
Connected to dell.yoyodyne.org.
No proxy connection.
Mode: stream; Type: binary; Form: non-print; Structure: file
Verbose: off; Bell: off; Prompting: on; Globbing: on
Store unique: off; Receive unique: off
Case: off; CR stripping: on
Ntrans: off
Nmap: off
Hash mark printing: on; Use of PORT cmds: on
Tick counter printing: off
##
[11:27] asus:~ >

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "Peter Balharek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:49:53 -0700

go to www.linux.org and search for routing info, code .....
i've seen a version of linux that needs only 20mb of space.

p.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Blacka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Dialin, Access the internet, assigning dynamic IP, Please Help
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:50:58 -0700

I am trying to set up ppp server, but I can't figure out how to allow more
than one person to dial the same line at the same time. I red something
about a rotary dialer in one of the howto's. I already know that I need a
multiport serial card, but how do I allow something like an access line and
how to I point people to the free modem.... I also need to know how to
automatically assign my dialer an internal network IP.

I am not trying to be an ISP, I just want to allow my family dialup access
both to my intranet, and the internet (my intranet is connected through a
gateway). Please, if you can, provide me with a detailed view of  how to,
assign them an intranet IP, and how to allow them to use the internet, and
mail. I have already set up the PPP server.

Thanks Alot

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:21:18 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Ip Address

ifconfig, 'inet addr' field

From: "Thomas Plant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem mit SMBFS
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:51:36 +0200

Sorry, I've already postes this to comp.protocols.smb but did not get an
answer until today.

I've a problem with mounting a NT-Share, sometime I get the following error
message:

Sep 10 04:02:01 sioux kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting
invalid
Sep 10 04:02:05 sioux kernel: smb_retry: new pid=721, generation=2
Sep 10 07:58:50 sioux kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting
invalid
Sep 10 07:58:51 sioux kernel: smb_retry: new pid=721, generation=3

OR:

Sep 13 08:26:03 sioux kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting
invalid
Sep 13 08:26:03 sioux kernel: smb_retry: new pid=721, generation=2
Sep 13 08:30:36 sioux kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: name=\*, entries=0,
rcls=1, err=5
Sep 13 08:30:36 sioux kernel: smb_refill_dircache: readdir failed,
result=-13

We use RedHat 6.0 with Samba 2.0.5a and Kernel 2.2.12, then NIC is a Intel
EtherExpress Pro100.

Thanks,
Thomas Plant

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: (UPDATED) Re: One Solution ISP Task: Windows NT or Linux?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:33:30 GMT

A few days ago I wrote:
>Dominik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Say an ISP is looking for a one-computer solution. The computer will handle
>>Main website, user websites, DNS server, mail server (no newsgroups), and
>>FTP server for users only --- no anonymous.
>
>[. . .]
>       Where I work we have Cobalt Qube 2's (one at each of 2
>offices).
>
>[. . .]
>       Since I am talking about Cobalt Networks server appliances, I
>am talking primarily about a version of Linux (Cobalt OS 4.0 SP1)
>including kernel 2.0.34.  The operating system is somewhat stripped
>down and does not include the sources for most things.  [. . .]

        Since then, I have stumbled upon sources directories at
ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/, although I haven't checked carefully to see
how complete they are.  (Like I said -- I'm a computer sub-geek.)

>>Consider the following:
>>
>>- Ease of maintence
>
>       From what I have read, Linux has lower maintenance than
>Windows NT overall, but it can be plenty hairy on the rarer occasions
>that it does need maintenance, and initial setup can be painful.  [. . .]

        Now that I have our firewall function working, let me add that
setting up the firewall on the Cobalt Qube 2 is a real pain.  Let me
add to THAT that configuring Linux firewall functionality in general
is a real pain -- why do you have to use a script to issue all of
these ipfwadm or ipchains commands (depending upon which kernel
version you use -- Cobalt OS 4.0 uses kernel 2.0.34, and thus uses
ipfwadm) instead of having a file with the IP filtering rules in
tabular format, and then issue one command in the script to read the
table in from the file?  Aarrggh.

        Now with that said, the normally at least moderately helpful
web-based configuration utility on the Cobalt Qube 2 manages to make
this task even more tedious.  The web-based configuration utility does
show you the rules in tabular format (NOTE:  it doesn't support
display or entry of all of the common ipfwadm options, such as packet
reject); however, if you want to edit or enter a rule you can't use
the table.  Instead, you have to click on a button and edit each rule
in a form which is displayed individually on another page frame.  When
you need to enter 20-odd rules, this gets to be tedious really fast.
I ended up noting the changes that the web-based configuration utility
made to the script file, and then editing it myself to make most of
the rest of the additions; contrary to the advice of Cobalt Networks
technical support, this worked fine once I got together the right set
of IP filtering rules (for which Cobalt Networks technical support was
helpful and necessary).

        I tried to get a set of IP filtering rules from the Cobalt
Networks Firewall Wizard (remember, I'm a computer sub-geek).  This
didn't work -- hence, the above-mentioned call to Cobalt Networks
technical support.  Their firewall wizard (pick Tools and then
Firewall Wizard under http://noram.cobaltnet.com/support/index.html)
was leaving out several rules that are necessary for things to work,
and put in some rules that shouldn't be there (it probably still does
this right now, unless they worked REAL FAST to fix it after the
above-mentioned call to technical support).  I also checked out Robert
L. Ziegler's Linux IPFW Firewall Design Tool, which is available at
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html, and it is
obviously considerably more sophisticated (although I am not
sophisticated enough to judge it truly properly), but even this
impressive tool does not give perfect advice -- for instance, it only
lists IMAP mail service as needing TCP packets to go through port 143,
but in practice I found that UDP packets are also required (using
NetScape Communicator 4.6.1 as the IMAP4 client on the Cobalt Qube 2's
IMAP4 mail service).  (By the way, this tool also forces the user to
wade through way too many page frames in the process of editing a
configuration.)  I haven't yet tried to implement the script generated
by this tool, because I haven't had time to figure out how to convert
it into a format that the Cobalt Qube 2 web-based configuration
utility won't corrupt or choke on, although the Cobalt Networks
utility would need an upgrade anyway to handle some of the features of
ipfwadm (such as packet rejection) used by Robert L. Ziegler's tool.

        I haven't tried the tools available in Windows NT for
performing packet filtering.  In general, though, Microsoft's network
configuration control panel is fairly easy to use to do basic
configuration, but it can make some things unnecessarily confusing
(for instance, why do you have to dig around in multiple dialog boxes
to set DNS and Default Gateway information separately, without any
indication being provided that you need to do so?).  Microsoft's on-
line help is not much better than Cobalt Networks' limited
documentation (both on-line and printed), and is greatly lacking in
information relative to the Linux man pages (which are available on
the Qube 2), even though some of the latter could stand a considerable
rewrite for improved readability.

Lucius Chiaraviglio | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
To reply to this message, remove the first three letters from my user
name.  If you are seeing this in an e-mail message, it is because I am

------------------------------

From: "Geoff Thornton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppd remote ip address resolution problems
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:02:29 +1000

Can any one help? after upgrading to redhat 6, I found I can no longer
connect to my ISP (it used to work fine), I basically get the message "could
not determine remote ip address", what's going on. Examining my log file I
also find the message "cannot find module char-major-108", is this part of
the problem, and who knows what this module is supposed to be. Attached is
my log file. Muchas Thanx.

Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the
University of California
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial
options enabled
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Sep 13 16:27:03 fruitbat kernel: registered device ppp0
Sep 13 16:27:38 fruitbat modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108
Sep 13 16:27:38 fruitbat pppd[326]: pppd 2.3.9 started by root, uid 0
Sep 13 16:27:38 fruitbat pppd[326]: Using interface ppp0
Sep 13 16:27:38 fruitbat pppd[326]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module registered
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat pppd[326]: Could not determine remote IP address
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat pppd[326]: Connection terminated.
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat pppd[326]: Connect time 0.2 minutes.
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat pppd[326]: Sent 361 bytes, received 503 bytes.
Sep 13 16:27:47 fruitbat pppd[326]: Exit.

--

Regards Geoff :)
==================

------------------------------

From: "haze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: couple of questions
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 06:11:45 GMT

i have sendmail working. i was wondering if there is a way to connect my
windows machine to be able to access my e-mail(accounts on linux box). from
the linux box.
also if i have another linux box on my network can i use the mail server
that's on my main linux box as it's so it can receive e-mail and post some
from it.
thanks
HAZE

------------------------------

From: Todd Knarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Sep 1999 07:27:31 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Lucius Chiaraviglio
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Now that I have our firewall function working, let me add that
> setting up the firewall on the Cobalt Qube 2 is a real pain.  Let me
> add to THAT that configuring Linux firewall functionality in general
> is a real pain -- why do you have to use a script to issue all of
> these ipfwadm or ipchains commands (depending upon which kernel
> version you use -- Cobalt OS 4.0 uses kernel 2.0.34, and thus uses
> ipfwadm) instead of having a file with the IP filtering rules in
> tabular format, and then issue one command in the script to read the
> table in from the file?  Aarrggh.

Probably because to get the flexibility needed in a firewall, that
one file would end up being the syntactic equivalent of the commands,
minus the leading "/sbin/ipfwadm". You'd also lose the ability to
do shell-like things, such as defining variables to stand for various
commonly-used IP network numbers or interface names. That may sound like
nothing, but it's a lot easier to change a network number in one line
at the top of a script than in every single firewall rule. The NT tools,
by comparison, do encode such things directly in each rule, so if I
ever had to renumber a network I'd have to edit each and every rule
by hand. I can't even do a global-search-and-replace using sed or the
equivalent, because the rules aren't stored in a text file I can get at.

Let me also say that yes configuring Linux firewall functionality is
a pain. That's because configuring firewall functionality _of any sort_
_correctly_ is a pain. It's picky, tedious work to make sure that you've
plugged every hole that your decisions might open, and properly opened
any needed holes that they may have shut off. GUI tools can make it
easier, but they do so by hiding the details that, IMHO, you need to
know to know whether you've left yourself open to attack. When I set
up my firewall, the easy part was writing up the ipchains commands to
do the work. The hard part, the one that took 75% of the time and 90%
of the skull-sweat, was sitting there with a pencil and paper and a list
of what I wanted to do and figuring out which kinds of packets I needed
to filter and which ports, addresses and interfaces I had to filter them
on. None of that involved the computer directly at all, and all of it
would have had to be done regardless of the tools involved.

--
Safety hint, dude ... never, ever get up to go to the john at night unless
you can actually feel your body.

------------------------------

From: John Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dialling (ISDN) into Linux
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:22:57 +0100

Yves Cornet wrote:

> Linux does not support NETBEUI, only NetBios over TCP/IP
>
> Look at the settings of the dial-up connection on the NT machine. I suspect
> that NETBEUI is enabled for that connection. Disable it and i think it will
> work fine
>
> Good Luck.

Yves,

Yes, of course. It's only earlier versions of Windows that require NETBEUI for
Network Neighborhood dialogue. Thanks.

I still have a problem however. I would like to use the Windows Network
Neighbourhood facilities from a remote location. If I configure one of my
Windows boxes as the local network server  (including my ISDN card) then remote
access works fine (ie. I can see the various shared drives from the remote
machine), but when I use my Linux box, although the connection is successfully
made, none of the Network Neighborhood stuff works. Any ideas ?

John

John Simpson
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/js.itemkey

------------------------------

From: Tackjin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: request :how to manipulate multicast functions
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:35:28 +0900

The famous multicast routing daemon "Mrouted 3.81" does not seem to
function correctly under RedHat 6.0.
I think it is due to some modification on new kernel (2.2.11 or higher).

And there are some extra option names in setsockopt(...) function such
as MRT_INIT, MRT_DONE, etc. but I can't find a reference to help me to
use those socket options.
(I tried to find a explanation in the famous book "Unix network
programming, 2nd Edition")
Please help me to manipulate  linux multicast function!