From: Stephen Zepp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling SAINT 1.4 on Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:19:22 -0400

Has anyone had any problems compiling SAINT on a 6.0 stock kernel?
I'm getting the following errors with make linux:

[root@panther saint-1.4]# make linux
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/agent1/saint-1.4'
cd src/misc; gmake "LIBS=" "XFLAGS=-I/home/agent1/saint-1.4/include
-D_BSD_SOURCE -DSYS_ERRLIST_DECLARED -DAUTH_GID_T=int -g"
"RPCGEN=rpcgen"
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/agent1/saint-1.4/src/misc'
cc -O -I. -I/home/agent1/saint-1.4/include  -D_BSD_SOURCE
-DSYS_ERRLIST_DECLARED -DAUTH_GID_T=int -g   -c rex.c -o rex.o
In file included from /usr/include/rpc/rpc.h:45,
                 from rex.c:23:
/usr/include/rpc/xdr.h:303: parse error before `uint8_t'
/usr/include/rpc/xdr.h:305: parse error before `uint16_t'
/usr/include/rpc/xdr.h:307: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/rpc/xdr.h:309: parse error before `uint64_t'
In file included from /usr/include/rpc/rpc.h:56,
                 from rex.c:23:
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:40: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:40: warning: no semicolon at end of struct
or union
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:47: field `adc_fullname' has incomplete
type
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:48: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:48: warning: no semicolon at end of struct
or union
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:54: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:54: warning: no semicolon at end of struct
or union
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:55: warning: data definition has no type
or storage class
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:63: field `adv_ctime' has incomplete type
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:67: parse error before `uint32_t'
/usr/include/rpc/auth_des.h:67: warning: no semicolon at end of struct
or union
rex.c: In function `rex_command':
rex.c:178: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
rex.c:178: warning: passing arg 5 from incompatible pointer type
rex.c: In function `rex_exit':
rex.c:222: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
rex.c:222: warning: passing arg 5 from incompatible pointer type
gmake[2]: *** [rex.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/agent1/saint-1.4/src/misc'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/agent1/saint-1.4'
make: *** [linux] Error 2

In addition, the reconfigure script gives me:

[root@panther saint-1.4]# ./reconfig
/bin/sh: -S: bad option
[root@panther saint-1.4]#

Stephen

------------------------------

From: "S Gallant <the.pcdoctor@" <"no-spam>sympatico.ca">
Subject: pppd problems??? I think
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 01:37:50 GMT

Fairly new at Linux, I tried to get a dialup connection working.  I was
successfull at connecting with my other pc through my ethernet but I am
triing to dial in with my ethernet offline.(For Now)

I followed the PPP- HowTO and another guide from Dr.Jobbs Vault  called
linux-ppp.html almost to a T, only changing what I need for my system,
but here is my problem.
I am running Pent 100, Win95/NT4/Linux   Slackware Kernel 2.0.0
Supra 33.6 I pnp   irq 10,   com3
My links for cua2 and modem and ttyS2 are all in sync

Logged in as Root:

I dial in with Minicom, authenticate manually, select ppp at my isp's
menu and then I get the garbage--Good so far.(I get a message to the
sense that I am connected using an unumbered Interface: sorry it is
vague, I had to reboot to Windoze to send this post)

I then exit minicom without resetting(I've also started another tty
session without exiting to peek at the happenings).

/etc/resolv.conf has these lines

search sympatico.ca
domain sympatico.ca
nameserver 204.101.251.1

/etc/ppp/options has these lines

0.0.0.0:              //I have dynamic IP
/dev/ttyS2            // Also tried with cua2 and /modem
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap
mtu 576
mru 576

I then type

pppd

I get nothing back, no errors.

If I type ifconfig,   it only tells me that I have   a 'lo'  device, no
'ppp0' and no eth0(since it is not loaded)

the route command only gives me the loopback settings as well.

Obviously, I get no ping, can't ftp,  and after a few seconds, my modem
hangs up.

If I left minicom open(not all the time), I get the no carrier message.

As I am still green in learning to use Linux, I was hoping to get an
answer or a pointer in the right direction.  Worst comes to worst, I
will put redhat on but only as a last resort.  I want to learn how to
get what I have now to work.(Because I know it is tougher)

TIA

--
                 vvvvvvv
                 { O O }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Maguire)
Crossposted-To: comp.parallel.mpi
Subject: kernel (bind) problem
Date: 18 Sep 1999 01:40:57 GMT

We are trying to configure a cluster of Linux nodes, loosely based on
the RH6 dist.  When trying to run our parallel (Lam MPI v6.2) jobs we
are getting a "kernel (bind): Permission denied" failure.  This is
really puzzling, as our previous cluster never had this sort of
problem, but it would appear that when Lam needs a socket for the
inter-processor communications the kernel something is failing.  Since
AFAIK Lam uses standard TCP/IP, and this works fine on all the nodes,
I'm stuck.  A clue on how to debug, and find out exactly what's wrong,
would help.  Sorry if my description of the problem is a little vague.

   /\___/\   | Kevin Maguire                    DisCo Support  |
   | o o |   | CSE                  CLRC Daresbury Laboratory  |
  __\_^_/__  | e-mail:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
 (__/   \__) | Tel: 01925 603221            Fax: 01925 603634  |
  _|  :  |_  |     -     -     -     -     -     -     -       |
 (__\___/__) |__  http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/Activity/DISCO  ___|

------------------------------

From: Tripp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux  RH 6 DHCP server ??
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:10:20 -0400

Need my firewall box to configure some laptops, would make traveling
from lan to lan easier .

FAQ or URL ??

------------------------------

From: "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why can't I telnet to root ??
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:03:43 -0700

> > Whenever I try to telnet to my Linux box as user "root", it will not
> > authenticate me, even though I put in the correct password.  I can
telnet to
> > my Linux machine as any other user.  I can also "su" once I've done this
and
> > become root, but it sure would be nice to telnet there directly.

> Theresa Halloran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>     You need to add the shell you are using when you login as root to the
> /etc/shells file. Then it will let you telnet to linux machine.

You are incorrect. It has nothing to do with /etc/shells. You need to edit
/etc/securetty to enable root on a pty. You can only login to root on the
terminals in /etc/securetty.

------------------------------

From: "Todd B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't get ADSL to work with DEC 21143 NIC
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:09:09 -0500

I have installed mandrake 6 and it sees my NIC as a 21040 digital card (I
assume that that is ok, it wont let me change the card #) and have set up
the IP's and gateways and server names and all that, but it wont connect to
the internet nor will it even see the other comp I have hooked to the hub.
It all works perfectly under win98. I had a guy from my ISP that runs a
linux box at home as a server go through the settings with me and he says it
should be working. Great. Anyone have any ideas? I admit , I am a newbie at
this and am trying not to get discouraged enough to give up this operating
system. From what I hear, it is real good after you get past the install
process. Thanks for all your help.

If replying by e-mail, plz remove REMOVETHIS from my addy. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Sep 99 12:32:13 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Update on ppp-2.3.7 probs

When I went to get ppp-2.3.9, I found that ppp-2.3.10 had just been
posted todat, so I grabbed the rpm and installed it.

I still have the stalls and lags, and 4 frameing errors have shown up
since going back online with this newer version.  I had some of those
before also.  But, I see in the log, that it now has a new error.

What is char-major-108?  It says can't find it.

Cheers,
Gene Heskett, Chief Engineer, WDTV, Weston/Clarksburg WV
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Per Fransson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fonts and java, remote log-in to UNIX-machine
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:49:18 +0200

Hi,

Im logging in to a UNIX-machine at school from my RedHat6-machine at home.
When I try to run some java programs I get:

"Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc
zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]"

I get the same result when logged in from Windows.

Any ideas?

Can I alias the font somehow? If so, what is te exect name of the font to
alias from?

Maybe I can get the desired font from somewhere? In that case, how do i
install them?

/Per

(PS I'm using XF86_SVGA.)

------------------------------

From: Jinwei Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: second NIC not working,help please!
Date: 17 Sep 1999 22:21:34 -0400

I have a Cnet pro120 (c) card, and I noticed there are articles in
this newsgroup report having difficulty with this card in linux. By
reading the answers to those articles, I finally managed to make the
card working. The following two steps works for me.

1) assign a IRQ to the card in BIOS.
2) get the most recent tulip driver from the following site.
   version 0.91 works for me.

        http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

--
Shen, Jinwei

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is remote GUI possible
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:26:51 -0700

Steve Waldo wrote in message <1UcE3.2876$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>Christopher Quale wrote
>> However, the one nice thing about webmin is that you can
>> use it over SSL; its kinda scary sending a plain text
>> password that (essentially) gives someone root access to
>> your machine.
>
>Yes, security is an issue for me. Thanks Chris, and everybody else, for
the
>helpful replies.

Use SSH to log in on the remote machine before running linuxconf. SSH
transparently sets X up so that the windowing traffic is carried over the
encrypted channel.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lan and cable modem
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:46:09 -0400

Well, here's my route table...

192.168.0.1        *                            255.255.255.255    UH    0
0    0    eth1
24.93.24.0        d185d182c.roche    255.255.255.0        UG    0    0    0
eth0
24.93.24.0        *                               255.255.255.0        U
0    0    0    eth0
192.168.0.0     192.168.0.1              255.255.255.0        UG    0    0
0    eth1
192.168.0.0      *                               255.255.255.255    U    0
0    0      eth1
127.0.0.0        *                                255.0.0.0
U     0    0    0       lo
default              d185d1801.roche    0.0.0.0                    UG    0
0    0    eth0

I enabled masquarding, checked ipforwarding in /etc/sysconfig/network, but i
don't know how to setup firewalls.  Also, waht should the client config be?  If
anyone can help me out soon i'd really appricatea it.  Thanks in advance.
andy

------------------------------

From: Bo Forslund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't locate module lo  and  eth0
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:54:08 +0200

> Check your networking startup scripts.  It's calling for a bogus
> interface (or three or so).
>
> Dan

Both the loopback and eth0 works.  eht0 is not compiled as module.  I dont know
how it is with the loopback. I have never touched anything about it.

here is the proof

$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:0B:BA:20
          inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

I can't figure out where i shall look.
Bo

------------------------------

From: phoneranger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: external ISDN adapter setup
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:37:24 -0500

Definitely check to be sure everything in your init string does what you
think.  I have an external Eicon Diva isdn t/a and several of the more
"standard" AT commands are non-standard.  Example:. they changed reset from
ATZ to AT>Z  ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ellis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: How do you create a hard link?
Date: 17 Sep 1999 21:32:21 GMT

In article <7puror$9sp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andrey Smirnov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hard link will point to the original and will act as an original even when
>you delete hard link (when you delete it this will delete the original file
>as well!).

You won't delete the file until *all* the hard links to it are deleted.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux.html

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: redhat.linux.ppp
Subject: Re: Please Help: Frame Errors?!
Date: 17 Sep 1999 21:48:59 -0500

Benjamin Alan Weaver ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>       My question to y'all is this:  What, precisely, causes frame
> errors?

There are various causes, bad flow control, bad modem initialization,
bad cables, an IDE drive that turns interrupts off for too long during
disk IO, and badly implemented PPP at the ISP to name a few common ones.

> I am disinclined to believe that compression may be the culprit,
> since when I disable various forms of compression in the pppd options,
> the problem does not go away.

Based on your previous posts I must disagree.  You should try disabling
all CCP compression with the pppd option noccp, as I previously suggested.
You might try using the pppd option  asyncmap a0000 too, it cures some
problems that might be caused by flow control or bad PPP implementation
at the ISP.  I've even seen it cure a frame error problem between two
Linux boxes.

If this doesn't help then you should consider opening a dialog by
posting the log for us to see if anything significant did happen.
The CCP algorithm that was negotiated in a previous post was deflate 24
which is a bogus deflate option number and the one that is most likely
to cause trouble.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Better is the enemy of good enough. */

------------------------------

From: Chuck Snively <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running XWindows on a remote machine using a Win95 box via telnet........
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:28:15 -0500

Hi All,
I am interested in running XWindows on my Win95 box from work so I can
access apps at home on my Linuxbox. Is there any software I can install
on my Win95 box that will allow me to do this via telnet or dial-up?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Chuck

------------------------------

From: Jo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no route to host problem
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:02:09 -0700

Hello,

I am having a problem trying to telnet (or ftp) to our host at work.

I  am using a dialin ppp connection and can surf with Netscape okay, I
can ping and nslookup okay,
but when I "telnet xxxxxxx.com" I get:

trying yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

/usr/local/ppp >netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
38.1.1.1        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH     1500 0          0
ppp0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         38.1.1.1        0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0          0
ppp0

/usr/local/ppp >route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
38-default-gw.p *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0       12
lo
default         38-default-gw.p 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        6
ppp0

/usr/local/ppp >cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain earthlink.net
nameserver 207.217.120.83
nameserver 207.217.77.82

can anyone shed any light on the problem here, I know it is probably a
routing issue, but what to do to fix it I can not figure out.

John Gorman