Oh, is it maybe because that I am using X on the machine at home and X is
not running at work (which is where I am connected to). The error never
occured when X was running on the remote machine. But strangely after
all the errors I am still able to edit the file. which vi says /bin/vi
and an ls on that gives  /bin/vi -> /usr/bin/vim*. So, it is not any X-app.

I wonder what X-app is trying to run?

-Karthik.