> But a piece of equipment that I am getting uses a USB port and Win95 I am
> told does not support USB and that I would have to upgrade to Win98.

I have successfully managed to get USB ports working on all Win95.*. I have
in my immense catalogue of CD's a driver specially for this. it did not work
on all hardware at all and with some needed a little tweaking. If you mail
me asking for it,  I can forward it to you.

I have no idea if USB works with Linux at all

Lots of love Jill