On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:53:43PM +0530, ext Gadiyar, Anand wrote:
> Grr. Saying one needs to upgrade to the latest kernel before one can expect
> support is a bit like certain proprietary OS vendors - and even they do a
> better
> job than this.

If you want to support people running 2.6.22, good for you.  You seem to
be happy with a codebase that doesn't change as much, so I'm sure you'll
have fun supporting it.

I'm getting the feeling that we need a new Godwin's law: as a thread
involving a complaint about open source grows longer, the probability of
a comparison involving Microsoft approaches one.

So yes, some people don't want to support old code on their own time.
So what? Who are you to tell them that they can't do this? What was the
point of the Microsoft comparison, except to reinforce stereotypes that
free software developers are a bunch of freaks with unhealthy obsessions
on Microsoft and LOL BILL GATES IS THE SUCK?

(Bearing in mind that one of the main tenets of open source development
 is 'release early and release often', you could say that having
 everyone use very old code until you one day drop a huge chunk of
 rewritten new code on them is also OMG MICROSOFT.  But that'd be
 equally stupid.)