>From: Thomas Petazzoni [mailto:thomas.petazz...@free-electrons.com]
>>On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 14:56:09 +0000, Gupta, Pekon wrote:
>
>> A query Why are you going backward from BCH8 to HAM1 ?
>>
>> HAM1 is just kept for legacy reasons, it's not at all recommended for new
>> development. As some field results have shown that devices with
>> HAM1 become un-usable very soon and start reporting uncorrectable errors
>> because HAM1 can only handle single bit-flip, which is inadequate in field
>> conditions and large page device wears-n-tears. (especially considering
>> your device density is of order of 4Gb - mt29c4g96maz).
>>
>> Also, just to inform that BCH8_SW ecc-scheme is implemented in such
>> a way that *only* error correction is handled using s/w library (lib/bch.c).
>> Rest all ECC calculation is handled using GPMC hardware.
>> So, the CPU penalty will be seen only when there are bit-flips found
>> during Read access, which are of rare conditions, occurring only few times
>> in multi-megabit transfers.
>>
>> Also, On top of that ecc-schemes implementations have been optimized.
>> And the patch-series is under review on mainline kernel.
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-November/thread.html
>>
>> (Apologies for long suggestion, but in summary please don't use HAM1
>> for any new development. And with BCH8_SW you should see better
>> bit-flip handling (longer device life) with no hit in performance).
>
>The crucial point here is that the interaction between the bootloader
>and the kernel. The use case I have is that I'm flashing a filesystem
>image from the bootloader, and mounting it from the kernel.
>
>Using a mainline 2013.10 U-Boot for IGEPv2 + the mainline kernel booted
>in legacy mode (no Device Tree) works fine. Using the same 2013.10
>U-Boot for IGEPv2 + the mainline kernel booted in DT no longer works,
>because the kernel disagrees with the bootloader on the ECC scheme to
>use.
>
>So I'm not saying that Hamming is better than BCH, certainly not. I'm
>just saying that changing ECC scheme in the kernel without looking at
>the more global picture of what support the bootloaders are offering is
>not nice. At least, the bootloader should provide a command, or option,
>to be able to use an ECC scheme that is compatible with what the kernel
>expects.

Yes, there is a way to change ecc-scheme in u-boot..
Also, you can modify to any ecc-scheme in u-boot using
"CONFIG_NAND_OMAP_ECCSCHEME" as documented in doc/README.nand

Also your board should boot seamlessly from mainline u-boot in sync
with mainline kernel. As per my knowledge following patch is already
in mainline u-boot. And touches your board as well. (omap3_igep00x0.h)
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-November/167550.html

AFAIK these patches should be in u-boot mainline.

Though I have taken at-most care that no existing board should break.
But, I'm sorry if there is something broken in between the u-boot and
Kernel builds. Let me know if I can help in fixing that somehow.

with regards, pekon