I like using MegaCli to view the disk health, see if there are media
errors, see if there is a SMART warning etc. If the drive has lots of media
errors it would be prudent to not put it back into the raid and to replace
it. You can also use MegaCli to view the controller logs to actually see
what was happening and how often.

Cameron