On Friday May 5, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Sorry, I couldn't find a diplomatic way to say you're completely wrong.
>
> We don't necessarily expect a diplomatic way, but a clear and
> intelligent one would be helpful.
>
> In two-disk RAID5 which is it?
>
>   1) The 'parity bit' is the same as the datum.

Yes.

>   2) The parity bit is the complement of the datum.

No.

>   3) It doesn't work at a bit-wise level.

No.

> Many of us feel that RAID5 looks like:
>
>   parity = data[0];
>   for (i=1; i < ndisks; ++i)
>       parity ^= data[i];

Actually in linux/md/raid5 it is more like

    parity = 0
    for (i=0; i < ndisks; ++i)
        parity ^= data[i];

which has exactly the same result.
(well, it should really be ndatadisks, but I think we both knew that
was what you meant).

> which implies (1). It could easily be (2) but merely saying "it's not
> data, it's parity" doesn't clarify matters a great deal.
>
> But I'm pleased my question has stirred up such controversy!

A bit of controversy is always a nice way to pass those long winter
nights.... only it isn't winter anywhere at the moment :-)

NeilBrown