I'm (still) trying to setup a md array on the ICH7 SATA controller of
an Intel SE7230NH1-E with 4 WD5000YS disks.

On this controller (in ahci mode) I have not yet managed to get a disk

- a bad cable just led to hangs and timeouts
- pulling the power on one of the SATA drives (while the system is running)
 had the exact same result.

Apparently the error handling up to 2.6.17 is so buggy that it never
returns an error that might cause md to fail the disk. (Bad blocks
maybe, can't test that.)

Regards,

C.