Steve Cousins wrote:

Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:

Steve,

The recent "Messed up creating new array..." thread has someone who started by using the whole drives but she now wants to use partitions because the array is not starting automatically on boot (I think that was the symptom). I'm guessing this is because there is no partigion ID of "fd" since there isn't even a partition.

Yes, that's right.

Thanks Ruth.

Neil (or others), what is the recommended way to have the array start up if you use whole drives instead of partitions? Do you put mdadm -A etc. in rc.local?

I think you want it earlier than that, unless you want to do the whole mounting process by hand. It's distribution dependent, but doing it early allows the array to be handled like any other block device.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc