At 15:16 +0200 9/16/2006, Molle Bestefich wrote:
A.) Does anyone have experience with returning Hitachi, Seagate or WD drives to the manufacturer? Do they have manufacturer warranty at all? How much/little trouble did you have with Hitachi, Seagate or WD?

A few years ago (but after IBM sold their HDD business to Hitachi) I had a laptop drive (48GB 2.5") die before the three year warranty ended. I did the diagnostic code, RMA thing and got a refurbished replacement which also died within a year. Repeated diagnostic and RMA which got me another drive which still works fine. I think the original two drives died because I was running the laptop they were in 24x7; most laptop drives are not designed for that duty cycle. The new drive has been great in an external USB+Firewire enclosure as a 48GB sneakernet drive.

I've never had reason to return a Seagate or WD drive. It's been a few years since I used a Seagate personally. I have a 4-way RAID-0 of WD 74GB 10K-RPM Raptors (five year warranty) which work great. I also have two WD 400GB RE2 drives (also five year warranty) in RAID-0 that also seem great.

B.) Can anyone *prove* (to a reasonable degree) that drives from manufacturer H, M, S or WD is of better quality? Has anyone seen a review that heat/shock/stress test drives?

I can't even prove that *I* exist. ;)

C.) Does good SATA cables exist? Eg. cables that lock on to the drives, or backplanes which lock the entire disk in place?

WD has "SecureConnect" which is a SATA connecter their drives support. I use it and like it on all my WD SATA drives.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?ProdID=74

--
Jeff Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>