Mike wrote:
I found the smartctl command. I have a 'long' test running in the background.
I checked this drive and the other drives. This drive has been used the least
(confirms it is a spare?) and is the only one with 'Total uncorrected errors' >
0.

How to determine the error, correct the error, or clear the error?

Mike

[cut]

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err
[SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed, segment failed   -    3943                 -

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 2726 seconds [45.4 minutes]

Am I mistaken, or does the above information not say that the long self-test actually failed? If a SMART test fails, that should be sufficient cause to RMA the drive if it's still under warranty.

It might not actually be that surprising to have a largely unused drive fail. I've had a couple drives fail due to what I presume is bearing wear: the drive gradually gets noisy (over many months) and eventually starts having intermittent errors that get more and more frequent. If your drive was spinning while it was a spare, then it would be just as likely to wear out a bad bearing as any of your other drives. Of course, it could be some other problem; that's just an example.

-Corey