Hello,

I have been trying to get a software raid configuration working for a few weeks with little success.

I currently have a 3ware 7506-4 card with 4 drives. The raid 5 performance of this card is poor and it was recommended to me to try using the card as a JBOD controller and running software raid on top of it.

I am currently running FC6 on this machine.

Here is what I have tried:

1) Backup the machine
2) Boot from knoppix DVD
3) Partition the drives using fdisk into 4 partitions. 100M for /boot ( bootable ), 2048M for swap, 16384M for /, and the rest for /export. All partitions were tagged as 'fd'
4) Use sfdisk -d to copy the exact partitions to all 4 drives
5) Use mdadm to create md0 as raid 1 for /boot ( first two disks ), md1-3 as raid5 with no spares ( all four disks )
6) Restore /boot, /, export
7) mkswap /dev/md1
8) update fstab and grub.conf to reflect new partitions ( chrooted )

Here is where I get lost and confused

I tried to chroot into the old image mounted completely under /mnt/sysimage. I ran grub-install on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. It complained about /dev/sdb not being a bios drive ( or similar ). I figured that was ok and I could fix it later.

Upon reboot, grub was definitely in sda, but it failed to boot complaining it couldn't find stage1 files.

I tried to boot from Redhat rescue DVD. It sees a 4 disks, but the raid comes up without sda. I can do a dmesg and see sda, but the raid says it is missing. It looks like Redhat thinks there is a /dev/dm_* devices as well. However, these disks have no lvm on them.

Rebooting into Knoppix now shows the array is in degradated mode. /dev/sda is being thrown out..but I can't remember the exact error. Googling showed that I needed use mdadm to fail sda, remove it, and re-add it. However, mdadm wouldn't remove it because it said it was busy. I am assuming this is related to same issue as the Redhat rescue issue.

The software raid seems a little fragile as well. If I have my external drive plugged in and all devices shift ( sda-d become sdb-e) when booting from Knoppix which seems to cause problems as well. I thought with all the data being written to the superblocks it would handle this problem.

So, I am looking for a little guidance in where I am going wrong. It takes about 24 hours for me to make this work and restore if it goes badly so I am a little hesitant to play to much without figuring out a correct path.

In the end, I went back to hardware raid on the 3ware card which works perfectly, just abysmal performance.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Michael