On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Michael Stumpf wrote:

I'm trying to assemble an array (raid 5) of 8 older, but not yet old age ATA 120 gig disks, but there is intermittent flakiness in one or more of the drives. Symptoms:

* Won't boot sometimes. Even after moving to 2 power supplies and monitoring the amp spikes, sometimes I get "clicking" from 1-2 of the drives after the startup.

* When initiating a SMART long test, so far two of them have:
     + passed 50-75% of the time
+ when "failed", didn't actually fail, just perpetually were stuck at an arbitrary % of test remain.
     + If I cancel and restart the test, often they pass.

I've heard clicking from some drives when executing SMART long tests. Doing 4 drives at a time, but still can't isolate and don't want to use laborious "sit and listen by computer" method to determine which are dying--would prefer a tool to detect the issue.

I know there's a problem with one or more because my issues with my primary array disappeared the minute I used LVM to remove these devices (and upgrade to some larger/newer ones).

Two questions:

1) Is it smartest to isolate which drives are clicking and chuck them into the wood chipper, given the circumstances?

2) Are there tools that are designed to determine if a drive is fit for duty? dd_rescue et all seem focused on saving a dying drive; spinrite seems to be controversial black magic marketing, etc. I could try the manufacturer shipped tools but given their black box nature I have no idea how much (or little) is being done by their tests. What do you folks recommend?

Thanks in advance.
--Michael Stumpf

This is what I use:

799] What is the best way to verify a hard drive has no bad blocks? /usr/bin/time badblocks -b 512 -s -v -w /dev/hdg

Note, this will wipe anything out on the drive.

There is also a non-destructive write, check the manpage for badblocks(8).

This operation usually takes 12 hours or so on a 400GB drive, if this passes & short+long tests pass without error, the drive is probably OK for the time being.

Also, what does smartctl -a /dev/hda for each of your drives show?

Justin.