On Friday March 16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm not a Linux newbie (I've even written a couple of books and done some
> very light device driver work), but I'm completely new to the software
> raid subsystem.
>
> I'm doing something rather oddball. I'm making an array of USB flash
> drives and comparing read and write rates.
>
> Well, I've had great success writing. I've got seven flash drives on a
> hub. I've joined them up both linear and raid0 and written large amounts
> of data to them. But come time to read from them, linear works, but raid0
> hangs after transferring just shy of 2G of data. It doesn't matter if it
> reading from one file or from many files whose cumulative size is just shy
> of 2G. It doesn't matter if I'm using "dd" or "cp" to read the file or
> files.
>
> The process doing the transfer is unkillable. Not with a kill -15 or a
> kill -9. It won't die, but it also won't make progress.
>
> "Linear" always works. Raid-0 always hangs.

My guess would be a locking bug in the usb storage driver or some
lower level USB driver..
A significant difference between raid0 and linear is that a largish IO
will touch all drives for raid-0, but only one or two for linear.
That gives much more opportunity for locking bugs to hit.

When it is in the hanging state, do
  echo t > /proc/sysrq-trigger

and look in the kernel logs for the stack trace of all processes.
Hopefully the stack trace for the processes in 'D' state will be
informative.

NeilBrown