On Monday March 26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have been testing an md RAID 1 created using mdadm 2.6.1 on a
> 2.6.16.35 kernel, and the initial results are encouraging.  (The
> 2.6.16.y kernel is a long-term stable branch, unlike most stable
> kernels, which are maintained only until the next stable branch
> becomes active.)
>
> I see bitmap-related patches with fixes for later kernels being
> discussed in the linux-raid mailing list, but I do not see
> bitmap-related patches in the ChangeLogs for the 2.6.16.y kernel.  My
> hope is that these fixes are only part of the natural churn in the
> newer kernel branches and are not needed for the 2.6.16.y kernels.
>
> Are there any known issues that would make the use of md bitmaps in a
> 2.6.16.y kernel problematic?  I do see an important RAID 1 fix in
> 2.6.16.40, so I know that 2.6.16.35 isn't good enough.

While I try to remember to back-port any significant and relevant
bugfixes to 2.6.16, I do forget sometimes.. and 2.6.16 isn't really my
focus of development.

If you would like to generate a list of bitmap bugfixes in later
kernels, I could check and let you know how relevant they are for
2.6.16.

NeilBrown