Well, it's all done now. Thank you all so much for your help. There was no
problem re-syncing from 8 to 16 drives, only that it took 4500 minutes.

Anyway, here's a pic of the finished product.
http://iain.rauch.co.uk/images/BigNAS.png

Speeds seem a little slower than before, no idea why. The only things I
changed was to put 4 drives instead of 2 on each SATA controller, and change
to XFS instead of ext3. Chunk size is still the same at 128K. I seem to be
getting around 22MB/s write whereas before it was nearer 30MB/s. This is
just transferring from a 1TB LaCie disk (2x500GB RAID0) so I don't have any
scientific evidence of comparisons.

I also tried hdparm -tT and it showed almost 80MB/s for an individual drive
and 113MB/s for md0.

The last things I want to know is am I right in thinking the maximum file
system size I can expand to is 16TB? And also, is it possible to shrink the
size of an array, if I wanted to build the disks into another array to
change file system or another reason? Lastly, would I take a performance hit
if I added USB/FireWire drives into the array - would I be better off
building another NAS and stick with SATA (I'm talking good year off here
hopefully the space will last that long).

TIA

Iain