Michael Frotscher wrote:
Hello all,

I guess you can say that I'm at my wit's end. I really don't get it. An RAID array is suppose to recognize its members purely by its uuid, isn't it? So technically, I can remove a drive from one bus, reconnect it to another giving it a new device name and the array should not even need to sync.

Somehow it doesn't. Somehow the array remembers of which devices it's supposed to be assembled and boots in degraded mode, funnily not always missing the swapped drive.

Suppose I lose a whole ide-controller and want to restart the box with a seconday controller? That one would surely not have the devices hda through hdd and my array would refuse to start.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can try? Ok, the array runs fine as long as it is connected to its original bus, but I really don't want to take chances here.

Do you have a mdman.conf file that specifies/limits partitions to search?

David