On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:23:25AM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> I recently got a chance to test SW RAID5 using 750GB disks (10) in a RAID5
> on a 3ware card, model no: 9550SXU-12
>
> The bottom line is the controller is doing some weird caching with writes
> on SW RAID5 which makes it not worth using.

Did you use the settings documented in
http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=11050 ? Setting nr_requests and
the deadline scheduler doubled the seq write performance for me. Do you
have the latest firmware? Firmware updates can improve performance - at
least for RAID5/6; I somewhat doubt that they care about JBOD
performance that much...

Gabor