Cry Regarder wrote:

Thanks!  A couple questions:

1.  Are you sharing that spare with an other array?  If not, why not do a raid-6
instead of a raid-5?

No, the spare is not shared. Now that I think about it and you reminded about raid-6...

I can think of one small plus of my setup - that spare is not spinning
(it's stopped with sdparm -C stop). So the disk should be in almost unused
condition if the need for it arrives. Excluding vibrations from the rest of the disks, and barely active electronics.

2.  I noticed that you built your raid partitions on corresponding disk
partitions.  Why do that instead of making one monolithic raid volume and then
partitioning that into the desired pieces?

few reasons:

1) I wanted /boot out of any raid
2) I wanted LVM for some of the partitions
3) I prefered regular mbr on the whole disks.
4) I wanted properly aligned XFS, so I can use its su/sw options

Alternatives:

- create separate md0 (for lvm) md1 (for xfs), but it seemed wrong when there is support for partitionable arrays
- or I could just put everything on lvm and don't bother with xfs alignment.

All things considered, it looked like a decent compromise. Of course, I'm open for suggestions.

1.  Adjust the partition table on each of the component disks so that I can
assemble the drives from /dev/sd?1 instead of /dev/sd?

No can do here, afaik. When you assemble from /dev/sd? , there're no partitions to start with on those disks. Either way, I'm not aware of any tools allowing - shrink raid, shift it, create fitting mbr ...

2.  Adjust my /dev/md0 so that it is partitioned into /dev/md0_1 /dev/md0_2 or
something of that ilk.

No idea if you can easily switch from non-partitionable to partitionable raid.