On Wednesday September 12, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Problem:
>
> The mdadm --grow command fails when trying to add disk to a RAID6.

..

> So far I have replicated this problem on RHEL5 and Ubuntu 7.04
> running the latest official updates and patches. I have even tried it
> with the most latest version of mdadm 2.6.3 under RHEL5. RHEL5 uses
> version 2.5.4.

You don't say what kernel version you are using (as I don't use RHEL5
or Ubunutu, I don't know what 'latest' means).

If it is 2.6.23-rcX, then it is a known problem that should be fixed
in the next -rc.  If it is something else... I need details.

Also, any kernel message (run 'dmesg') might be helpful.

NeilBrown