I retried rebuilding the array once again from scratch, and this time checked the syslog messages. The reconstructions process is getting stuck at a disk block that it can't read. I double checked the block number by repeating the array creation, and did a bad block scan. No bad blocks were found. How could the md driver be stuck if the block is fine ?

Supposing that the disk has bad blocks, can I have a raid device on disks that have badblocks ? Each one of the disks is 400 GB.

Probably not a good idea because if a drive has bad blocks it probably will have more in the future. But anyway, can I ?
The bad blocks would have to be known to the md driver.

Daniel Santos wrote:
Hello,

I had a raid 5 array on three disks. Because of a hardware problem two disks dissapeared one after the other. I have since been trying to create a new array with them.

Between the degradation of the two disks I tryied removing one of the failed disks and re-adding it to the array. When the second disk failed I noticed the drive numbers on the broken array, and misteriously a fourth drive appeared on it. Now I have numbers 0,1 and 3, but no number 2.
mdadm tells me that number 3 is a spare.

Now I want to start all over again, but even after zeroing the superblocks on all three disks, and creation of a new array, /proc/mdstat shows the same drive numbers, while reconstructing the third drive.
What should I do ?

Daniel Santos